Adopt rather than delete

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Male
2,235 posts

beta • 18 January 2020 at 9:12 AM

@iia I know many. What if they just want to keep their creatures? Besides, imagine if everyone who quit gave away all their valuable creatures. Then we wouldn't have people like peppermintcowboy or magician when they get back onto eggcave. They repopulated the markets of things right when it needed it. It's probably best for the eggcave economy if they keep their creatures when they quit.

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 18 January 2020 at 10:58 AM

@iia

Okay first of all, I grew up in the business community. so like I sort of how people can get with rare stuff. But did you have to bring up " when a person dies or moves far away they don’t just throw quay all their stuff that they aren’t taking. They sell what they can then give the rest away." You literally just said that you use this site to escape reality. And his claim only apply to a certain portion of people. how do you know these inactive accounts may not return one day? I know some people that started playing a game then returned 8 years later. So you can't be 100% sure that they won't return. And again, when they see their creatures gone, what would those people think of Eggcave?

Female
2,158 posts

prairie • 18 January 2020 at 11:32 AM

@iia
In all honesty (as some have pointed out) account deletion is super uncommon. Mostly because when people "Quit" they get caught up in real life and totally forget about their Eggcave account over time. The most common form of account deletion is when people want a new side name/date (or don't want to have a user name change cost)
Being perma-banned has only ever happened to 1 user I believe. This user tried to sell their very valuable cove for real life currency, which is a big no-no. I think it was this cove that brings up most arguments like this because this cove had Tine, Guinstars, Pixgog, Flintar, Gobblers, Nym, Sieren, Gobblers, and ignis along with a hoard of very old and valuble creatures that I won't list out cause it'd be too long (I actually still have screenshots of their entire cove). And while that is a super big shame, That only happened once.

At the same time, while it does make me a bit annoyed to see coves of users who claim "they will never come back - but NOTHING is for trade", I completely understand why they do it. They worked hard for their cove and most likely spent actual money to get to that point. They take pride in it, and they don't want to just break it down.
I think only creatures from people deleting or being perma-banned should be taken away from their coves.
If you war worried about the creatures just sitting for years upon years in inactive coves, maybe the suggestion would be for mods to have a way to see which coves are inactive for a certain time limit - and then after a certain amount of years, the creatures they have in their cove might be duplicated (Like if I want inactive for 3 years and had a onny, they'd create another fresh/new onny - letting me keep mine - to put into circulation somehow) But in this case, we are just getting back to the re-release topic of re-selling old csps and such.

Female
574 posts

iia • 18 January 2020 at 4:59 PM

@darkmoare I simply added that example to accustom your point of view. Sorry if it came off wrong. ☹️

This is a forum that is discussing maybe saving deleted creatures. Please don't go off topic!

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 18 January 2020 at 5:14 PM

@iia

wait, I just got really confused. How does one save creatures that's already been deleted?

Female
1,243 posts

senkou • 18 January 2020 at 6:27 PM

@darkmoare
I don't mean to butt in but I'm pretty sure the mods could save the pets and move them elsewhere before the account gets the deleted. Or Ian can just morph them out of cave commons. πŸ˜‹

Female
574 posts

iia • 18 January 2020 at 6:37 PM

@darkmoare "Deleted" as in the future

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 18 January 2020 at 6:44 PM

@wild_wonders @iia

hmm, I see. However, I still strongly disagree with the idea of using creatures for others without their consent

Female
574 posts

iia • 18 January 2020 at 7:08 PM

@darkmoare if they delete their account then the creatures they had there technically aren’t theirs!

Female
1,243 posts

senkou • 18 January 2020 at 7:46 PM

@darkmoare
I agree with that completely, however there's a difference between quitting and getting deleted. Users who quit, voluntarily leave the site and have full control over their pets and what happens to them. If they choose to leave their pets in their account then that's fully up to them, and I too think it's super wrong to just take them out without their consent, especially after they would have worked super hard to get them or even spent $$ on cc, etc. It would suck to be gone a while and log back in to see all your pets are gone, and not in a 'dead'/ressurectable kind of way.

But on the other hand, if an account is deleted, the user can no longer log back in, even if they wanted to. Their account is wiped completely, thus their creatures would be gone from their control whether they like it or not. That's why I personally feel it's better to circulate them back around the game and give existing users a chance at potentially rare dream pets instead of deleting them altogether. πŸ˜‹ I know if my account were to be deleted, I'd personally prefer for my hard work and time to go to someone and make their day better instead of being completely wasted and wiped of the face of eggcave like it never existed. XD

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 18 January 2020 at 8:39 PM

@wild_wonders

and here is my question, then. If an account is wiped out completely. How are you going to recover it? Besides, as someone said before, to delete an account one needs to submit a ticket. without submitting one, the account won't be deleted. Thus, it won't go to waste.

Female
1,243 posts

senkou • 18 January 2020 at 8:43 PM

@darkmoare
They won't be able to recover it...? I'm so confused. XD They could maybe take the pets out before its deleted if that's what you mean. And aren't there other ways for accounts to be deleted other than selling creatures and submitting a ticket? :0

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 18 January 2020 at 8:49 PM

@wild_wonders

I'm confused too. Other ways to delete an account? not that I know of, name one, other then submitting a ticket or breaking rules.

and this comes to the question, where exactly are they going to put these creatures?

Female
2,158 posts

prairie • 18 January 2020 at 8:55 PM

@darkmoare @wild_wonders

The only ways to delete account is if you:
A: send a ticket to the mods asking to have the account deleted
B: break the rules (get far to many warnings/attempt to buy or sell creatures for RL money)

As far as where they put the creatures that'd be something they'd have to figure out - as the only good place right now is the adoption center.

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 18 January 2020 at 9:07 PM

Thanks @prairie for the information. 😊

Female
1,243 posts

senkou • 18 January 2020 at 9:44 PM

Ahh that's what I thought @prairie. That's what I thought. XD I was starting to doubt myself for a minute there.

Female
574 posts

iia • 19 January 2020 at 7:49 AM

Accounts can not be deleted without consent from the user (via ticket)
Unless (in som cases) rules are broken.
@wild_wonders @darkmoare
Therefore a user won’t come back and their things just be gone.

This forum is to discuss a way to reuse rather than dispose of deleted creatures. (Via cave, adoption center, new page?)
In case anybody is confused at this point XD ( I know I am! )

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 19 January 2020 at 8:47 AM

@iia

Thanks for the clarification. Although the point is to discuss what happens to deleted creatures, all the suggestions given includes some sort of adoption. Honestly, I still think it's a not a good idea, they should just be left alone. I have my evidence for that.

Male
682 posts

decay • 19 January 2020 at 8:54 AM

@darkmoare

Just curious, what's your reasoning about why we should leave those creatures alone? πŸ˜‹

Female
574 posts

iia • 19 January 2020 at 9:44 AM

@darkmoare I am still kinda confused with your point πŸ˜‹

Female
1,243 posts

senkou • 19 January 2020 at 6:45 PM

@darkmoare
Same XD My point all along was that pets should be adopted from deleted accounts instead of wasted and deleted along with it @iia. πŸ˜‹ Sorry if I made it confusing

Female
574 posts

iia • 19 January 2020 at 7:02 PM

It was @darkmoare that i was most confused with but thanks for the clarification! 😊

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 19 January 2020 at 7:22 PM

@wild_wonders @iia

oh, well, my previous argument was on how these "deleted" pets are to be "adopted" . and if people should be able to take pets from "dead" accounts. Sorry for the confusion

Female
574 posts

iia • 19 January 2020 at 7:27 PM

Ok, got it.

534 posts

crowvict • 21 January 2020 at 6:11 PM

I may be one of the only few who think this way but...if a user intentionally deletes their account without giving / trading out their creatures don't you think we should respect their decision?

I do agree there should be a way to filter older critters back into the market but taking them from deleted accounts (or even inactive accounts) just seems wrong in a way. It's our choice what we do with what we have.

I'm one of those user who comes and goes as I please. I love the site and have since it's young days. But I would be rather upset / heart broken that if I left for a few years and came back to either; my account stripped of it's contents or deleted to be distributed out. I've spent a lot of time and money here and honestly my cove is my pride, weather I'm here or not. Not to mention for me (and I'm sure others), some critters have sentimental value and I would not want to see them in another user's possession. If I want to delete my cove (not that I ever would unless something major happened) and the critters along with it, so be it.

Female
869 posts

netherling • 28 January 2020 at 2:44 AM

@iia
I'm a bit late here lol, but the site has a habit of getting ridiculously heated when it comes to rare creatures being distributed in literally any way. Sorry you got affected by that :/ its awful. Some people are stuck in their ways despite the fact that those ways are killing the site's user population, while others are open to change. There are a couple ways to give people a shot at dreamies and it's been...almost 5 years since it was an official discussion.

I dont see accounts deleted very often, but when people do it's usually out of either frustration or lack of time to spend on the site. In cases like those, majority of the time they make "quitting" posts to give creatures away. I personally think it's time for an Egg Cave reform, it's been over a decade since the site opened and it's time to get rid of the old ways and bring in the new. So I think saving creatures left from deleted accounts (maybe by a way of adoption straight from their page and a limit of 2 creatures max) would help for those who just up and abandon their account and state their intention to never come back.

Female
574 posts

iia • 28 April 2020 at 10:25 PM

@crowvict I am not suggesting that an account is deleted over time but rather if they decide to delete their account (don't have time or didn't care to distribute creatures)

@netherling I agree 😊 I know a couple of people who left in a rush but didn't bother to get rid of their creatures. If they knew that their creatures would be distributed more accounts would be deleted.

@orderedchaos is this too late to respond to a post? 😱

Female
86 posts

starfire_nebula • 26 May 2020 at 8:02 PM

@iia
i'd say make the adoption center to only 1 egg per day per user or something like that. that gives newbies who are only finding common eggs to find something better... but also distributing them equally thus the limit

Other
33 posts

zikitty • 13 July 2020 at 2:07 PM

@decay I like your idea, and this way it's fair to everyone that visits the 'Oasis' because they all get eggs not some getting eggs and others 3/4 evolutions rare creatures!