This site is giving me weird dreams...

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 12 April 2021 at 3:11 AM

I was going to post this in Shoutbox, but so many people have loved my creature ideas (they were jokes, or off-handed comments, I was shocked at the response,) that I decided to post it here.

I don't have any plans on doing much more with the idea, but if any of you want to take it further, have at it. I'll give feedback from time to time.

~ ~ ~ * D r e a m * ~ ~ ~

So there I was outside taking care of some yard work or throwing away garbage or something. And I found a small anteater. Not quite ready to be away from his mum, but able to eat solid foods mostly. And the cat is milling around, curious to what I found, but leaves him alone.

At this stage he doesn't look much different than the Canosh (yes, I know that's a badger.) I knew he'd need care and I'd have to look after him. (don't know why I didn't call a wildlife rehab place - but it's a dream.) But as a few months pass and he's getting better nutrition, his fur is starting to turn a lovely soft shade of purple. By this time he loved playing in the bathtub, gong for walks, and going to work with me. (I had a job as some sort of repair person? Like electrical or plumbing?) One spring I was at a friend's and there were a bunch of ants crawling on the wall as I tried using the toilet. I called for him and he came as quickly as he could, and slurped many of them up ^-^.

Near the end of the dream, when he was older, but not quite an adult his coat was a lovely lavender color and stared sprouting what looked like lilac blooms! (But they were actually fur.) This whole time I kept trying out masculine names with him, but I really wanted to call him Lavender.

(Skip to my end notes if you don't want to read a sad part.

Sothentheresthisreallyawfulreoccuringelementthatkeepsshowingupinmydreams.
Mycityisnottfriendlytokeepingmanyspeciesofpets
anditkeepstranslatinginthedreamsthattheysendoutexterminatorstosprayforthemlikethywouldinsects.
TheguytriedsprayingLavendar!
done!)

~ ~ ~ + * + ~ ~ ~

[I'm a bit of a grouch when it comes to creatures that already have similar counterparts. Even when it comes to my own creature ideas. I agree with the player who doesn't add some to their cove because of 'unoriginality' (I'll still add anything that i see to my liking, but I get the sentiment.) - I just usually keep those opinions to myself. (As it's all harmless fun when people get to enjoy more of a good thing.) - And this site already has two or three anteaters that i know of.]

I'm not promoting having another anteater on the site, but if this became a reality I wouldn't turn one down. lol.
(And if someone already suggested something like this PLEASE show me the thread. I've purposely been avoiding this section, Art & Suggestions, until I get my creature ideas typed out so that no one else's influence mine. I want to be as original as possible. But that would be so crazy if I had this dream, and someone else already wrote about it!)

Pings:
Please no pings to me (unless something urgently needs my attention, like a request for a poll or something,) I'll check in on the thread on occasion, Thank you!
(I'd rather let you all have fun with it if you like the idea, rather than dealing with my micro-managing.)

I'm so sorry, I can't find my notes on who has offered to do artwork for any of my future pet ideas. I sincerely appreciated every single one of those offers!

(If anyone doesn't want future pings from me please let me know in PM with 'NO Pings' in the title)
@murmurw @aquaticfalconess @miraeggs @sapphire12 @purple17 @blackivy25 @lilacblack

Edit: it will be interesting to see what anyone comes up with for species names because all i've come up with so far is lavaeter, which sounds too much like a closet bathroom to me; or the scientific name for lilac which is Syringa. ( 😊 two someones already named their pets that.)

Female
244 posts

lilacblack • 12 April 2021 at 2:07 PM

I like Sytinga, my favorite flowers are lilacs ^w^
I understand the part of having many of an species, but maybe I can play around it with the idea of a canosh-anteater hybrid. I mean there are already a million horse, specially flower horse, cat and wolf creatures. As long as it looks cute and a bit different I don't think it matters that much.

Female
115 posts

blackivy25 • 12 April 2021 at 5:50 PM

I really like Lavantener,and thanks for the ping!

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 13 April 2021 at 8:20 AM

I like both the name suggestions 😊
I had another one pop up reading them, Lilavie

Thank you both for the encouragement ❤️

@lilacblack

and clover species... and bunnies. LOL. (omg, there are so many things you can do with bunnies. I had no idea they are so versatile! But this site is sadly missing a Pika bunny! They're bunnies too. I want a melting snowcap Pika for next Earth Day.) But I digress... You make a point! 😊

I am totally open / looking forward to any interpretations anyone comes up with for concept design. I think it would be a fun one to play around with.

But I have a clear idea in my head of what it would look like, all except for the egg.

- The just hatched stage would look like a normal young anteater but just with the Canosh's coloring. Maybe a bit shaggier. (and not that the RL coloring of those two are much different.) Less reds though. More of the grayish theme, with subtle hints of browns.) Very earthy, neutral tones. We see it from the belly, head to the top of the page, paws headed the viewer's direction, but relaxed. (Oh, and it's slightly smaller. Not quite as small as the Remnisect in it's first hatched stage, but something like that)
- The next stage it has it's paws on the ground. It is that soft lavender color (a little washed out, still a tiny bit brownish). The fur is shaggy. Not like an anteater, but more like a wooly mammoth. That's due to the fur starting to get ready for blooming.
- And the final stage of course it would have the blossoms, a little bit more vibrant of a color palette. Looks happy, head erect. Probably its tongue is snaking out? [Travel Trinket for this one would be a lilac bundle that it could be licking. (What? there could be some ants in there. lol. Or maybe the winning entry will suggest that this is a nectar eating animal 😊)]

As for the egg, the only idea I've come up with is a white one, with one lilac flower (like looking at a four leaf clover head on,) near the top of the egg, and maybe a pinkish-red tongue, snaking around the bottom two thirds in a vine-like pattern.
(I'm sure all the creative minds here could come up with something better.)

But that's just what I had in mind. Anyone can feel free to use it as a proverbial template, or toss it out and run with their own idea. (Whispers: I swear, I'm doing my best to butt-out. it's not easy.)

@blackivy You're welcome 😊 It's the least I could do after being so warmly invited/welcomed to the Doekit thread.

And thank you both for respecting my request for no pings. ❤️ (I really wish there was an option for once-daily ping notices per thread. Hey! ... *goes to post that*)

Female
307 posts

powgal15 • 18 April 2021 at 11:53 AM

@snowywinter Nice! I could totally draw that if ya like!