Let's Revive EggCave!

in Chit-Chat

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 27 September 2021 at 1:41 AM

@scout That's true but many people also stay here for its simplicity. Other games have about a hundred different features, like breeding, exploring, changing the color of your pets, art competitions, a livestream chat, etcetera. So maybe we could add a feature that isn't too sudden, like not connected at all. For example, a pet battle would be interesting, but Egg Cave is peaceful in a sense so it would maybe disturb its tranquility.

Female
345 posts

moonlight24 • 27 September 2021 at 4:25 PM

@scout
Hm, I believe what @singasong99 is true, and I believe a breeding feature would be nice. There could also be different version creatures, like maybe different color versions, art competitions could be nice for new creatures (as there are a lot of creature suggestions and some do end up getting added). Maybe we could add some type of puzzle, like the April Fools one, or more ways to earn CSP creatures.

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 27 September 2021 at 11:55 PM

i would love to see the forums active again too, before the forums we also used to use the site blog to chat and it was very active and fun, quick messages that allowed for chatting. i feel that a forum is good for longer more thought-out posts, maybe some kind of chat box could be implemented somewhere on site for chatting?

personally i have been super busy lately because i started working full time, but i still try to log in once a day and see what's going on. when i started playing the game (more than 11 years ago now), i was a kid and had plenty of time to play as i basically grew up with the site, but now as an adult it's not as easy to juggle (which does make me sad sometimes! i spent countless hours on this site 😃) i'd love to get more involved in the community though again 😊

Female
408 posts

izziedragon • 28 September 2021 at 8:44 AM

@pwuffy Yes! I thought a chat box might also be a good idea. It seems like it would help people make connections with the active players faster. And I also agree about the forums. That used to be the heart of egg cave and its how I made friends when I was a kid (besides the TC)

Female
9,796 posts

chapus • 29 September 2021 at 10:01 AM

Man, I've been on this website for ages (almost 10 years now!) and have gone on and off hiatus myself. I believe it's a mix of many things; the community that was here in the very active period (2011-2015) and who were 12-14 at the time have grown up and moved to other things. Additionally, there's less interest in these type of websites, such as seen with Webkinz and Neopets gaining less traction than before.

Personally, I do think an easy way to entice players to stay in staying/coming back is streak rewards. Much like gaining EC when you log in, but the longer you stay, the higher the rewards, like even retired travels/items or CC. This would also help newer or returning players gain items they missed and have a chance of getting CC more easily, especially with how much valuable it is with the re-releases.

Another way is adding more events like the Asteroid one! We get the holiday rereleases but it lacks the community and game aspect of such larger events. The Halloween, Valentines and Christmas are other good examples, but they are slightly different in that they are expected each year.

I also think more Double EC days would tremendously help, as I personally miss it often. Additionally, stuff like being able to exchange XC for stats would help encourage players to use such a system more often, or even buying stats with EC as well.

Another idea I've been dreaming of for years is having achievements. Although I'm not sure they would encourage regular returns, it is something for some of the more "competitive" folk to aspire to. Achievements like posting on the forum X amount of times would also encourage people to post more. Heck, adding rewards to said achievements could be a good motivation, and it can as simple as a unique item/travel or some EC/CC.

Female
345 posts

moonlight24 • 30 September 2021 at 10:47 AM

@chapus
I agree with everything but the fact I have almost been on here for 10 years, I've barely been here for a year. Other than that I agree with the fact higher day streaks should be added, as a week streak is 3,000 EC which to me is underwhelming. Achievements are a good idea, if you can spread it through not only the forums and possibly others, like some type of "Cave Common Collector" badge for putting up with visiting the cave and only getting cave commons. Since I don't regularly spend money on game currency, I almost NEVER have CC and it's quite underwhelming and another way to get CC (because getting CC for free is very hard) would be a great idea.

Female
343 posts

foxbit • 30 September 2021 at 1:09 PM

I would prefer events to make the site more active, honestly, and not competitions, but that's just me.
also yes to changing the login streak rewards to give CC or maybe retired creatures or quest tokens!
getting CC now with the creature re-releases is very hard if you can't buy CC with real money like me. maybe a 10-30CC reward after logging in for a month would make things better.

honestly I've stayed here since 2013 (well, 2016 on this account) since Egg Cave and its community is waaaaay less toxic than the one in the other pet site I play that starts with N. not to mention it's refreshing to be in a site where the staff actually listens to its users unlike in that one other site.

Female
408 posts

izziedragon • 30 September 2021 at 2:15 PM

Agree with the login incentives for sure and more events would be cool. Even more games I think would be nice. And ooooo the badges thing is interesting. I could get behind that.

Female
1,308 posts

stellalunagirl • 30 September 2021 at 9:26 PM

Actually, seeing this topic come alive with old users makes me quite happy and nostalgic! I've been a member for almost 12 years now and when I started I was just a kid with all the time in the world to devote to computer games.

@pwuffy Its good to see a name I recognise from all those years ago haha

@chapus a lot of good suggestions I support, also it took me a while to recognise your username - I knew you as @chapus2009 ^^"

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 30 September 2021 at 11:32 PM

I think now since it's the month of October, people are going to go on a feeding frenzy ^^

Female
244 posts

lilacblack • 2 October 2021 at 7:32 PM

I just got here... I wasn't able to read everything because I get overwhelmed easily, but I want to help I really do. Some months ago I tried reviving the game of one words stories. I think forum games where really fun. I also about to open an adoption center on my side @sweetnightmare. I really miss that extremely kind side of the community, I know it's still there and I've seen it. I just want to give back. If anyone wants to look at the rules or anything to improve my idea, I'd love to hear ya.

Btw thanks @Ian for being present on the community

@moonlight24 I can't join the discord server. It seems that the invitation has expired D: I'm Exhaustedraccoon#8390

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 4 October 2021 at 5:31 AM

@lilacblack Sweet! Some people are planning to host adoption centers next year or so. (My friend @snowywinter has already started one - @swmystery which I hope will be up and running by next year! 😊) I'm kind of new so I haven't seen much of the community yet, but I know what you all speak of and I'll fight till the end to see it there.

@moonlight24 I'd LOVE to see an item value guide there! It'd be awesome! I feel like making one but I know I don't have the motivation to dig through all the items :0

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 4 October 2021 at 5:47 AM

@singasong99 Thanks for the shout out!

@lilacblack looking good so far!
(A lot is said that I'd like to say, but was too shy to. I think the rules are just fine.)

I'm still figuring out where to put affiliations in my adoption center's profile, to where there's still good flow. It's down near the bottom, but I don't want people missing out.
(I found another adoption center that seems to still be active, but not by someone active in the forums. I'm meaning on reaching out to them to see if they want to do an affiliation.)
I figure the more we help each other out, even if it's mentions, the more players can find what they are looking for. Happiness is always worth spreading 😊

Female
244 posts

lilacblack • 4 October 2021 at 2:04 PM

@snowywinter That's such a good idea we can have like a web of adoption centers!

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 4 October 2021 at 7:59 PM

@lilacblack lol "web of adoption" reminded me of the old days of web rings... but this would be an Egg-ring. 😸

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 4 October 2021 at 8:43 PM

@snowywinter No problem! I'd like to start an adoption center, but each and every one of my eggs holds sentimental value, no matter how small, and I can't seem to get rid of them all.

Female
244 posts

lilacblack • 5 October 2021 at 12:34 PM

@snowywinter We should call it that! It sounds to me like the ring of fire, y'know the volcanoes. Lord of the rings, and even like a wrestling ring! Sorry my mind just flies away most of the time.

@singasong99 I feel you, it's kinda hard. That's why I want to enforce the rules so they go to good owners. I can visit them too so that's bittersweet.

Female
408 posts

izziedragon • 5 October 2021 at 3:54 PM

@lilacblack I can also donate some of my extra monthlies if I collect enough!

Female
244 posts

lilacblack • 5 October 2021 at 4:08 PM

@izziedragon sure that would be nice 😃 I didn't get that many creatures some months..

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 5 October 2021 at 6:24 PM

@lilacblack
Hee... Volcanoes, a force to be reckoned with, and respected. I like it.
If anyone had the coding skills, we could make it actually happen. (For now just linking to others in the profiles will work.) I actually found Eggcave through a website that's bringing back old fashioned web surfing. (Neocities.) And for those that don't know what a webring is, it was a pool of websites, and the link at the bottom of a website would take you to any of these randomly. (Some you could choose to see a list, or a specific number, but it was usually random.) (OMG... I just started down that rabbit hole and found someone has a Neopets themed webring. It's for any webpage, but the sites are linked using the jellies! >.<)

Female
244 posts

lilacblack • 5 October 2021 at 6:37 PM

@snowywinter I don't think my coding skills are good enough. I already have a project that I'm too lazy to start but now that you'd make remember it I gues today is the day. Those were the days. I think I found the site on my own... don't remember all that much, I think I might have seen an add and just fell in love. Yay!! neopets!!

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 5 October 2021 at 7:44 PM

@lilacblack It was sort of a flippant thought. I wouldn't expect anyone to, but it was worth mentioning in case someone did have the skills. (I can learn the skills, but they leak out just as fast. I have a hard enough time with sites with set parameters. At one time my skill was above and beyond the ecode here, but I'm most comfortable with clickable options like the old days of Yahoo Groups. - where even boarder color changes were just a click away. Backgrounds like the Halloween theme here... just a click away. lol... call me lazy, but I like clickable options.)
Ah yes... hose pesky projects just waiting to be finished ; P

OMg ... there's a video that shows some of the YG options... blurry, but it exists. (and here I was just going to look it up on Wayback Machine.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZ9XFITLbE

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 5 October 2021 at 8:22 PM

@lilacblack @snowywinter I do python and scratch. Or at least used to. It's went a teensy bit rusty now though.

Deleted • 6 October 2021 at 1:28 AM

Let's revive EggCave! It used to be so fun.. but I struggle with finding the enthusiasm and the time to constantly feed for EC.. so forums are part of why it was so fun.

I have a lotta creatures, and would like to pass/trade them away.. small games, with 1-2 weeks deadline and then it can be given to the winner?

Deleted • 6 October 2021 at 12:06 PM

As an an older player, I feel like the "older" EC was a lot more busy, yeah.
I think EC made a lot of progress (example, re-releases) and we're blessed with staffers that actually listen to feedback, consider it and try to always implement new ways to make the userbase feel at home. I think people probably tire of having to feed huge amounts of creatures for ECs (because otherwise it's pretty hard to make ECs... you could sell your extra creatures, yeah, but that could take time). Some more "EC dailies" to make ECs would be a nice addition, as well as a login streak feature. If I could say another thing, I think it would be best to work on making the cove expansion feature less pricey and more easy to use (you have to click for one slot every single time, the price keep rising just for the same single slot and it becomes impossible at one point to progress... due to the large amount of creatures and stages this site offers, it would be profitable to offer the users a way to keep as many of them they want without having to sell their souls, literally, for more cove space - I've had to halt my tasma collection (1400+) because literally I don't have time to feed like I did in the past anymore, and cove expansion got just too complicated for me to continue... so I felt like I lost a purpose that was important to me (the tasma collection) and that made me really happy, kinda got demotivated and spent less and less time over here... you get the gist of it.

Allowing the use of images in the forums and pet profiles would be a good idea, as well as increasing the character limit... people would make chara sheets and do art and lore for their pets...
In short, give the users something to work on, to put work on without having to struggle too hard, and you'll make EC lively again. (:

Female
408 posts

izziedragon • 6 October 2021 at 12:38 PM

^^^^ I agree with everything @sinthr said

Female
244 posts

lilacblack • 6 October 2021 at 5:40 PM

@singasong99 Yay!! if you want to 😸 I tried to learn python a few months ago.. I got overwhelmed so quickly.. mental issues are no joke.

@ laylamocha That would be so fun!That could help a lot. I think the key are the forums and profiles, just interacting with each other more and get more friends!

@sinthr Dude! You're still here? omg! I don't know if you remember me but I do remember you ^w^ We've been here for forever lol
I think more dailies would be really nice, there aren't that many activities. I remember doing characters on the creatures descriptions. but it was better when the description box was on the side of the creatures profile, so you could see it right away.

Female
1,308 posts

stellalunagirl • 6 October 2021 at 8:09 PM

@sinthr
I agree with the cove-expansion issue and above expanding the site-based options for activities and to also allow more expressions of creativity.

I personally find it difficult to keep all my creatures alive if I don't have LoV (which for people who don't have access to CC is quite a challenge) - the regular feeding becomes a bit more of a chore which I think makes people lose interest.

I think the re-releases are definitely a good idea to bring back creatures that were retired to allow more users to have access to them.

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 6 October 2021 at 10:25 PM

Maybe the site could implement a rare 'mystery egg' where you could get any creature on Egg Cave - CSP critters about 10% chance, retired 25% chance, endangered 30% chance, and currently available critters 35% chance or something like that - but it's really rare because, well, yeah.

Female
2,413 posts

ida92 • 7 October 2021 at 6:19 AM

@sinthr I totally agree with everything! Perhaps you or someone could create a suggestion topic about the Cove Expansion? I had to make another side account for my immortals, because as an adult with a job and studying at weekends I sumply don't have time for feeding coves and collecting EC. I like the idea of a login streak reward, that would be great. Perhaps even a Creature could be rewarded? That would probably mean having to somehow disable this function on side accounts to prevent cheating.