Quest Items

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Male
297 posts

dragiigy • 17 October 2022 at 3:23 AM

Hello

According to many creatures are possible to get in Vend machine, many players are playing more quests as in the past.

So, I have two little ideas.

1) Items, which value is more then 20.000 EC (like travel PKS 1101+384 for 98,878 EC ) should be removed from quests
2) Items, which has just been released (let us say in last 14 days) should also be removed from quests.

What do you say?

@raretreasurehunter56
@jenlou
@kataclysm
@minnie298a
@mintkitten
@sparklefox
@amysnow
@frankenstein
@megamisama90
@Ian

Female
2,941 posts

heatherm19 • 17 October 2022 at 3:55 AM

Completely agree on both points! Though I think newly-released items would be okay with a 1-week wait instead of 2 weeks.

Personally, here is my reasoning: Each VEND purchase requires so *many* quests to be completed. If it were, say, 2 of each quest per creature, then maybe the high-priced items wouldn't be so bad (although still hard to get...). But 15, 25, even 35 times on a single type of quest? And each quest asks for 2 items (except the ice cream one, I think). Drem, for instance, requires 100 tokens from Speed Reading, which I've personally found the most expensive type of quest to do. That's 200 items needed to get that single creature, items that can vary wildly in price in the regular store and can get outrageous if you have to use user shops because the Library just isn't stocking what you need for hours on end. I've 'failed' multiple quests not because I couldn't find the item but because I'm not about to spend 50k+ in a user-shop for 1 item on 1 quest.

Quests should take time and effort, it should take awhile to build up the tokens you need, those are things I totally get and am on board with. But they shouldn't be more frustrating than they are fun, and shouldn't require you to spend a ton of ec on a single item just to give it away to the quest.

69 posts

amysnow • 17 October 2022 at 4:07 AM

Well, we can cancel quest so I don't think it necessary. When I saw an items I can't have (not avaible or too expensive) I just need to cancel it. It's might slow to take but there no fun or goal if it too easy so ... I'm fine with it

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 17 October 2022 at 4:58 AM

@dragiigy I agree with both points and think it would make it more fun.

I also see the reverse of it where people make the point here that there isn't really a dire consequence for cancelling Quests here on Eggcave. (In one game I played, if you failed a Quest you wouldn't get one again... like EVER. Yeash! I could see maybe a month, three months, a year at most but forever is beyond harsh.)
So I'm really glad that there's just a small wait period here between quests. ( I was shocked at how short it is.)

Female
1,745 posts

minnie298a • 17 October 2022 at 5:59 AM

@dragiigy
I definitely agree there should be a grace period with new items. Even up to a month, so that stock can be circulated and collectors can have first dibs to do what they want.

As for the price point. I'm on the fence. Personally I see an item with a higher NPC price point as no different to an item that sells for 1k in the NPC shop being on sold for 30K. It's too rich for my blood. I've set myself a limit of what I'm comfortable spending per token. Above that and I'll cancel the quest, wait the hour and move on.

I do have some of the expensive items laying around in my strongroom, but it is mainly travels and its normally only 1. I have a tendency to go on a "lets add travels to all the creatures" phase, so they aren't really for questing use.

In saying that, I know I also have the advantage of time. I'm an adult who can control how much time and energy I can invest on here, I've also been around a while, so I had the chance to get a lot of creatures the first time around. I've also had the time to build up a stockpile of tokens.

I see questing as an activity to do a little of most days, not just when I want something available. Like collecting my bank interest, that little bit of regular effort adds up over time. That also means that I can be picky about what quests I do as I'm not desperate. To use the Drem again as an example, the current value for a vend one is around 250CC, or 2.5milec. That means an average of 12.5K per item, or 25k per token. If I'm paying more than that it's not feasible in my mind. However that is also above what I'm currently willing to spend per token.

Female
376 posts

megamisama90 • 17 October 2022 at 12:28 PM

I think I'm with @amysnow on this.

19 posts

jenlou • 17 October 2022 at 12:31 PM

I agree with both points. Personnaly the costy items are more of a problem than new items. Still I'dd delay them for at least a week but two would be better to give time to people get them before they are asked for in quests !

Female
760 posts

okami • 17 October 2022 at 12:46 PM

@dragiigy

I completely agree that new items should be excluded from quests for a set period of time.

I would also like to see the high 20k+ ec items be excluded from quests, but I see the argument for just canceling the quests. That's what I currently do at this point when I get an item request like that. Another possible solution could be to make them much rarer requested items. I'm unsure what the probability of getting a certain item is, but I'm assuming they all have an equal chance of appearing. If that percentage were decreased for the very expensive items, then they could still appear but you aren't as likely to get those requests.

Female
2,941 posts

heatherm19 • 17 October 2022 at 4:39 PM

Imo, the thing about 'just cancel the quest' is the increased cooldown time. Because of things out of our control (ie, prices we can't afford or new items simply not being available to most people yet) we are punished with a much longer cooldown period between quests. For people like me who are able to be on eggcave constantly throughout the day, maybe that's not such an issue. But a lot of players have school, work, etc and some can only be on here for a short amount of time each day. Enough time to run through a handful of the same quest if they succeed in each one, but an hour-long cooldown could easily be enough to make quests a 'one shot a day' thing for some people. That's another thing that can tip the scales from 'challenging but enjoyable' to 'too frustrating to be fun'.

Also, there are already exclusions from the Questing items. Retired items and CC items are not asked for in quests, so is it really a big stretch to include other types of unobtainables?

Male
297 posts

dragiigy • 18 October 2022 at 8:42 AM

@amysnow @megamisama90

Cancell quest is of course an option. If you play let us say 16h per day. But... it happened to me a day or two ago. I have to find a travel for 95k+ EC. Of course I cancelled the quest. Then...after one hour, I made another quest and in next try...again same travel for 95k. Bad luck, you will say. But imagine: players, who wanted to play Eggcave for one hour. For relaxation for instance. In one hour you can make 10 quests (max13). If you cancell : 0 Tokens. Only bad mood 😉

Thats why I would like expensive and new items removed from Quests.

Female
376 posts

megamisama90 • 18 October 2022 at 2:18 PM

@dragiigy I understand your point of view. I definitely don't play that much! I know the feeling of it asking the same stuff again and again and not having it. :/

Male
297 posts

dragiigy • 18 October 2022 at 5:39 PM

@megamisama90

I am talking about the price. I have them all 😊

Female
376 posts

megamisama90 • 19 October 2022 at 12:36 PM

@dragiigy Maybe the price could be lowered on those more expensive ones then? I don't really mind, though.