Has anyone gotten a Foo recently from the VEND?

in General

Female
1,768 posts

lexicon • 6 March 2020 at 11:40 PM

@skymoare
I would definitely say it's worth it to give it a shot at least once so you know how it is and have the chance at getting a super cool rare creature 😊

@chapus2009
Personally, I'm at 13% success rate lol but there's not a big enough sample size to really know based on user experience. We'd need several people who have tried at least 100 times to get close to accurate xD. I hope it gets officially released but it's kind of fun to speculate and collect data from other users 😊

Female
9,796 posts

chapus • 6 March 2020 at 11:41 PM

@lexicon yeE I can see why you're asking others to see what seems to be the average "drop rate" for a Foo uvu but yeah it would be easier if we got a straight answer LOL

1,478 posts

arcana • 6 March 2020 at 11:46 PM

@skymoare
My advice is to consider how much you're willing to spend. Quests burn money so, so quickly. Be prepared to spend thousands buying items you might not use for a while. And after you factor in the risk, you might decide you're better off just buying, although I don't really see Foos in the marketplace all that often(Only two Foos are in the trade center, so the VEND doesn't seem to have really gotten them circulating again at all.). If you're starting from scratch, @/chapus2009 has a guide! And also, if you are starting from scratch, I wouldn't say that it's actually that worth it, but you should definitely try! In the future, if not now, it will be worth it to get into the questing game.

Female
1,768 posts

lexicon • 6 March 2020 at 11:46 PM

@chapus2009

For sure! That's what I was saying, I'd be much less disappointed if I knew getting a Foo was like a 1-3% chance xD. It would be more understandable and I'd be more willing to keep trying. I originally thought it's an equal 25% chance which is why I was getting frustrated but now I'm thinking it's less, potentially? owo

@skymoare I also second what @arcana said! It is, as stated above, time consuming and a drain of EC if you want to be successful in completing a lot of quests. It's not meant to be easy and there's not a guarantee you'll get what you want. It can still be fun though if you have some people to exchange items with (there's a whole forum topic dedicated to this) but also frustrating because it does take a lot and you might end up with something you don't want. If you're dedicated, go for it! Sometimes I just do a few quests a day and you can gradually give it a go because prize pools are available for an extended period of time 😊. To me, it was worth it because I was able to trade creatures I've gotten from the VEND for my WL ^^

2,892 posts

skymoare • 6 March 2020 at 11:50 PM

@arcana @lexicon @pouncessoftly

Thanks for the advice

Female
9,796 posts

chapus • 6 March 2020 at 11:52 PM

@lexicon yeah ahah, seeing a low drop rate ahead of time would for sure mentally prepare you xD and it would also make that when you don't get the rarer prizes, it makes sense!!

@skymoare The guide that @arcana suggested is here if you wanna take a look at it! ;D
https://eggcave.com/forums/topic/72918

Female
493 posts

pouncessoftly • 6 March 2020 at 11:55 PM

@arcana @skymoare

That’s a good point arcana has .. right now I have a pretty solid amount of items in my strongroom, so it’s easy to say yes. If you do start, remember it can cost a lot to get all 200 quests completed. I’d suggest building up your inventory some prior to beginning so you don’t have to buy from user shops as often .. you’ll save a lot in the long run 😊

2,892 posts

skymoare • 7 March 2020 at 12:00 AM

@chapus2009
thanks so much!

Female
1,512 posts

froot • 7 March 2020 at 5:53 AM

The VEND machine really is pretty bipolar, isn't it? xD

Personally, I'd also love to know whether or not this is a fair 25% or perhaps depending on the creature. I would understand if the chance of getting a rare creature was much lower, but still, it'd be great to know the odds. Because isn't it funny, how some lucky people get Foos on the first/second tries, but for people like @pouncessoftly, 16/17 tries and it's still not possible?

Here's what I think.

I get that rereleases are chances for new players to obtain older creatures, but new creatures are worth much less than old creatures - so personally, I don't really mind rereleases. However, I definitely respect that some older players may be upset at such rare creatures to be so easily obtainable through rereleases.

I also understand that the VEND is to re-release creatures, and I also get that they're not meant to be easy. But shouldn't it be more... fair? More... equal? Quests are a pain. I've only ever gotten to use it once, but even that took me quite a few months of ec debt and spending a heck ton of ec, and a lot of blood sweat and tears (I'm clearly exaggerating but it's definitely very, very, very difficult). ;u;

About opportunities to obtain rereleased eggs... I understand that it's not meant to be like free eggs for everyone, but clearly this isn't quite fair for someone to have tried SO MANY TIMES yet failed to obtain a certain egg, and that's clearly over the blurry line of "difficult". Plus, some people only had to try once - and yet they got it. I'd be very upset to be in that position - to have put so much time and effort into getting one, yet failed again and again and again, while some others only need one mere try.

I clearly get that this thread was made for people to share their experiences and chances of getting a certain creature from the VEND. It's taken quite a sharp turn away from the original point - and from what I'm reading, things have become incredibly salty. O-O

I'm not taking sides, and I definitely don't mean to add fuel to the fire - but here's my opinion anyway.

Female
1,768 posts

lexicon • 7 March 2020 at 8:31 AM

@shadowfaxe

I appreciate your take lol❤️. You make very valid points! I wasn't trying to incite something when I made this topic owo. I wanted valuable input from users like you to see if the VEND truly was "fair" - at least in terms of your chances of getting a creature because there has been such cases like never getting a Foo after 16+ tries vs. getting it on your very first try. Are those just anomalies or have other people experienced this and does it, in the grand scheme of things, even out? o:

I see what you mean. Perhaps I haven't been too sympathetic to the plight of those players who feel like this lessens the value and effort it took them to achieve their coves. I think what they're referring to is more like what happened with the Tine where that really was easily obtainable and now so many are in circulation and in coves! There's also a disconnect between the values of original/re-released creatures which also helps retain the "worth", although it does impact scarcity. I think the VEND is just difficult and chance-y enough that there's not an influx of new/old creatures but it opens up the possibility that they can become "obtainable" again - which I think is great for new and old players alike 😊. Because the quests are so arduous I think not a lot of people have attempted as well or have simply given up/stopped trying and that could also be the reason why it seemed to me like there hasn't been "a new Foo" in a little while ^^'. I'm chugging along still trying for another but the month after it was released I completed 2,000+ quests for 2 Foos total

But to put in the time, the effort, the EC it takes and just not get one no matter how many times you've tried? That's basically just putting you back in step one where it's impossible again. Although you've continuously strided towards it with dedication. I deeply felt for @pouncessoftly and was there with her throughout the whole ordeal. She never asked for one to be handed to her on a silver platter, she tried her absolute hardest and got nothing in return. In that moment it seemed like the system was broken - why wasn't she being rewarded for her efforts, was it all just chance in the end? I hope everyone sees the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying we should get one each time as that defeats the point of everything and will cause more problems that it solves but your output should at least match your input c:

Female
864 posts

sprite • 8 March 2020 at 1:28 AM

I received one on March 3rd. 1st try. Not for trade at this time 😊 I think with there not being many traded most like to hold onto the higher valued stuff till they are retired from the vend.

As far as vending being "easier" it's not. This is coming from someone who has been playing a long time with only short time away here and there. The Vend is very much needed and warranted. I still don't understand the need for other's to complain and imply older players are not happy or worked hard. I was there it was a lot easier to trade back then. If you paid more then that's your fault not any other player.

While people like to say they were never supposed to come back people also forget Ian stated he never thought the values of things would get so high. People really do need to remember that. I do.

I believe in working for things since I am a lot older then most on here. It's also a game and it's not what I consider work...time waster more then any thing.. If I had vended over 15 times and not got a creature I wanted I would be a bit frustrated too. Also knowing it's a chance so my dumb luck.

Like with anything it is a game don't do it if it's getting to the point it costs to much or not enjoyable. Live by that rule of thumb and it has served me well. Have I over traded for a creature just to see it come out yep. Am I mad nope. They are in my cove and I'm still happy. Value is not every thing and has really become annoying on here. A guide that is used as the final say so when it's just a guide lol

ETA: I'm not going to get into a back and fourth with any one. Said my opinion and not going to spend more time on it.

Female
493 posts

pouncessoftly • 8 March 2020 at 8:42 PM

Glad to see some more opinions that are well thought out! Thank you both, shadowfaxe and sprite! Specifically didn’t ping because it’s been a bit since y’all posted. I was moving this weekend and just got back online - ugh, I forgot today was double feed day! Dx

Anyway, as a newer player, I am very happy to see some creatures rereleased - either ones like the Tine, or the Foo in the vend machine. I know a lot feel it devalues the original release, but IMO it doesn’t really. There are people who will always pay more for an original release .. myself included! The vend or something like the Tine are an alternative for those of us who probably would have an impossible (or at least tough) time otherwise adding to our collections.

Oh, I lie .. I’m pinging @shadowfaxe in thanks for all of the support and encouragement given while I was toiling away questing! It was all my friends giving me that support that kept me going for so long! ❤️ I’m still going at it, though more slowly, just to finally say I got one finally, lmao! Or at least that’s what I’m hoping! =)

Female
1,512 posts

froot • 8 March 2020 at 8:44 PM

@pouncessoftly Hope you get one asap xD ❤️

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 8 March 2020 at 9:13 PM

agree with everything sprite said but i won't ping cuz i dont want to annoy XD i think overall rereleases are a good thing plus its not like a rerelease will make the creature as common as say, a recent cave monthly or something 😊 the creatures in the VEND + the tine are still worth a lot (plus tine value will go up again slowly since it is now unobtainable again). personally i like creatures based on their design not necessarily their rarity or value. i collect the things i think look nice and i think everyone should be able to do the same. so if people are getting the creatures they want from the VEND i think that is a great thing! still a lot of hard work and effort goes into questing or even trading for the creatures that are now in the VEND ^^

Demiboy
779 posts

blub • 13 March 2020 at 8:42 AM

As an older player, I'm super happy there are changes for re-releases, and am at the same time not a big fan of the VEND machine.

I think it's mostly because for me it's never been about the value of the creature. There are many creatures I've worked my butt of to get, and I'd love to see it come back and easily available to newer players. That creature is still worth a lot to me, because I worked a lot for it (and probably just liked it because that's why I worked my butt of for it in the first place), but that doesn't mean I'd mind it's value to drop in the trades.

A lot of older players also seems to forget that there were a lot of creatures you were easily able to get, because you were there at the right time. Yes, I stalked the cave for a certain month to get cave creatures. doesn't mean it's a lot harder for newer players to get that same creature, because it's not in regulation anymore. They do need to get it through trades.

My beef with the VEND machine is the chance part. I don't mind questing, and working for an older creature, but because of the chance part, you're still able to never get it. It's like working hard for something and then it's "Oh, here's the same creature AGAIN". I'd prefer to get the creature I'd want for a lot more quests. 200 quests per shop for the Foo? I'm okay with that, 200 quests in total to get the change? Not so much.
Maybe because I'm in general not that much of a chance player.

I'd actually liked it if you still got the chance pool for the same creatures, but could get a certain creature from that pool for a lot more quests. It would make that a lot of people still use the chance pool, because it's easier and more obtainable, but for the people who only want one certain creature, they'd be able to get it through a lot more quests (and I'm okay with A LOT more quests).

Female
1,002 posts

shirona • 13 March 2020 at 1:05 PM

I would love to get another foo and get it VEND but I've had a laptop break thanks to feeding on eggcave so I'm going to be one of those people who'd have to trade for one instead of quest ;.;