Battle Skies [ALWAYS OPEN]

in Roleplaying

Gender Fluid
1,346 posts

kayuubii • 31 May 2020 at 9:58 AM

Nala smiled at Piffy and happily took the seat.
“Thanks so much!”
Everyone was so kind here, she thought. No wonder Cain didn’t like it here.

Cain finished eating and remembered what he said to Nala. He quickly spread his wings and flew back in the direction of the nest.

2,892 posts

skymoare • 31 May 2020 at 12:33 PM

@thelaizywolf2019

Is it too late to join?

Female
86 posts

starfire_nebula • 31 May 2020 at 12:44 PM

Finishing breakfast, Nieve left Piffy to Nala and Napoleon while she flew in search for Crusoe. She still hadn't seen him since she woke up.

Stretching out her wings, Nieve took in the beautiful morning. The snow from last night glistened on the ground and made the trees look like glass.

However, she couldn't fully appreciate the day as she worried over Crusoe. She lifted off into the sky and glided from tree to tree. Scouting the entire sector from above, she noticed a troop of armour-clad vultures marching.

Taking a break from hunting for Crusoe, Nieve decided to investigate.
She landed ever so softly on an icy branch above where the troops were doing their drills.
She overheard the troop master yelling at them.

"We need to find every last one of those pesky scoundrels who dare rebel against our Beloved Leader's reign! Hunt them down! Finish them off! For the glory of Scar Face!"

"For the glory of Scar Face!" they all yelled in unison.

Nieve observed all of this in great horror. She needed to find Crusoe, fast. If they manage to find him amidst their hunt, it couldn't end well for him. They treated deserters as well as they treated their common enemies...

Nieve's thoughts scattered as she felt a talon clamp down on her beak. She tried to thrash, afraid that a soldier had found her. Tumbling down into an abandoned hollow, Nieve finally recognized her captor.

"Crusoe!" she hissed, half angry and half relieved. "You scared me bad! What if the troop saw us?"

Crusoe shrugged apologetically.
"I probably would've fought back. You know, for the record." He winked at her.

Nieve glared at him. "And what exactly were you doing spying on the platoon?"

Crusoe laughed. "I would ask the same of you."

Nieve sighed. "Fair enough. We should probably head back to the hollow."

Flying over the Winter, Crusoe explains himself.
"Early this morning, one of those soldiers decided to pop into the hollow to say hi."

Nieve's eyes widened.
"Don't worry. I snuck right outside the entry so he didn't see me. But he sure scared the daylights out of Napoleon." He chuckled, then sighed. "Poor kid. Anyway, he said something about the Light of Aviare. I guess they are stepping up their patrol. Something big must've happened."

Nieve pondered over this as they reached her nest, her pendant glistening and reflecting the light coming from the shiny snow.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 31 May 2020 at 9:24 PM

@skymoare, unfortunately yes))

Napoleon, Lafayette and Clementine ate the food with ease (except that Clementine didn't ate meat but berries). "We have to go now." Lafayette stated. Clementine looks at Piffy with a sad expression. "Bye, Piff." She said.

In unison the three stretched their wings and flew away. When they were at the borders between the Winter and the Little Folk, a group of armoured vultures appeared and flew straight towards them.

"Hey, those are the three that escaped! Get them!" One of them yelled.

"Remember what I thought you!" Napoleon screeched at his companions. Together, the three fought against the patrol. Napoleon managed to tear and kill six of the soldiers, Lafayette killing three and Clementine using her lute as a weapon; smashing it into two of the soldiers.

Eventually, only one remained. Napoleon pinned the platoon leader against tree and tightened the grip on his neck.

"Why did you captured my friends a few days ago?! They have not done anything wrong!" Napoleon exclaims.

As they were interrogating the leader, they did not notice that Nieve and Crusoe were passing by.

Female
86 posts

starfire_nebula • 31 May 2020 at 9:57 PM

Crusoe heard a commotion beneath them. He swerved to the side, dragging Nieve with him.

"What now?" She was annoyed.

"Look," he whispered.
Nieve followed his gaze to a horrifying sight.

Napoleon had a patrol leader pinned by the neck. She saw six lifeless bodies strewn across the ground, and Clementine and Lafayette were beside Napoleon, obviously surprised but not as shaken as she was.

Nieve made a move to swoop down on them, but Crusoe held her back.

"Hold it," he hissed. "We don't know what kind of trouble they're in, but it's not worth it to be caught up in it with them. Plus, they look like they would fare quite well without us."

Nieve returned his gaze.
"It is worth it," she reasoned. "We might have only known these avians for a night, but knowing what little I do is that they are kind souls and they need help."

Crusoe sighed, ruffling his feathers. There was no reasoning with Nieve, especially in a dire situation as this. Plus, he did kind of owe the falcon one after treating him so harshly.

"Fine. Go to the nest and stay low. Make sure Piffy is with you and suggest that the hummingbird and crow stay as well. This area will be in no position to travel around right now."

Nieve opened her beak but he interrupted her.
He knew what she was going to say. That she would go instead. That it was ten times worse for him to go than her. That it was a very dangerous risk for him to expose himself after the regime was out hunting for him, the very hawk who evaded the draft into the army.

He nodded to Nieve and she took off, as silently and grimly as ever.
He took a deep breath and dove.

"Hey guys. Sorry for crashing the party, but you might need some help with the good cop/bad cop thing." He smiled. and winked at Napoleon before turning to the leader.

"So, any reason why you decided to visit our darling sector this morning?"

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 31 May 2020 at 10:01 PM

Napoleon jumped accidentally snapping the vulture's neck. He gasps in horror when he drops the lifeless body.

"Welp." Clementine said. "There goes our chance to ask him more questions."

Lafayette sighs deeply as he watched the body fall.

Female
86 posts

starfire_nebula • 31 May 2020 at 10:11 PM

"Duuuuude. Come on. I was actually gonna have some fun with this interrogation," Crusoe sighed.
But he wasn't mad. For some reason, he felt he would've done the same thing.

"Anyway, you three seem quite prepared for encounters like this," he adds.

He looked down at the ground.
"Listen, I'm sorry I treated you guys less than nicely last night. I want to make it up to you."

He looks at Napoleon.
"We could really use a hand with a.... little project. Me and Nieve had been working on it for a while now, but we needed resources and talents that we would never acquire ourselves. I realized that you three would be perfect for the job. Napoleon, we need your speed," starts Crusoe.

Turning to face Lafayette, he adds, "And you! We need your intelligence. Nieve has waited a looong time for someone just a little brighter than me for one part of that project." He chuckles, then addresses Clementine.
"Oh, and you, gorgeous, we'll need your musical skills and willpower," he says with a wink.

"Oh, and best part, I wouldn't mind giving some extra hunting lessons if anyone needs. So what do y'all say?"

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 31 May 2020 at 10:13 PM

The three glanced at each other for a moment before saying in unison: "We're in."

Napoleon smiles at Crusoe softly. "There's no need for your apology."

"Even though you were kinda've a jerk last night." Clementine added before getting smack at the head by Lafayette.

Female
86 posts

starfire_nebula • 31 May 2020 at 10:16 PM

Crusoe smiled. He hadn't felt this good in a while.

"So, maybe we should head back to Nieve and the hollow? There's a couple of other people we need to convince."

Stretching his wings out, he lifted up and soared into the sky, hope shining like the sun overhead.

*gn*

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 31 May 2020 at 10:17 PM

(k)

The three begrudgingly follows the hawk and once again, enters Nieve's nest.

Gender Fluid
1,346 posts

kayuubii • 1 June 2020 at 3:35 AM

Cain flew back to the nest and perched outside, waiting for Nala.

Nala noticed Cain and flew at him, full speed into his wing,
“Cain! You’re back!”
She squealed.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 1 June 2020 at 3:59 AM

Napoleon and his companions arrived and quickly head towards the bathroom, to wash the blood off their talons.

Female
86 posts

starfire_nebula • 1 June 2020 at 5:42 AM

Nieve had a look of surprise on her face when she saw them wander in again. She was sure they wouldn't be coming back, after Piffy saying they had left.

She glanced at Crusoe, waiting for an explanation.

He grinned. "Ah, well, I maybe might have recruited our new... friends," he drawled out, seemingly struggling at the last word, "to help us with our project."

Nieve shook her head.
"What you did to convince these guys to join us and how you did it is beyond me. But, are you sure you want to do this now?"

Crusoe nodded slowly. "Its now or never," he breathed.

Nieve straightened herself. She couldn't have imagined having this much support ever. She then looked at where Cain and Nala were gathered.
She stepped towards them.
"I know this is short notice. And I know you two are probably ready to leave. But, we need your help. In fact, we need all the help we can get. There are things that you guys can help us with that others can't, and if we all stick together, there just might be an end to this shadowy life," she says, gesturing in the direction of the troop outpost.
"Please," she says. "You are free to do whatever, but consider this before you depart. It is urgent."
She closes her eyes and only hopes that she can convince them.

Gender Fluid
1,346 posts

kayuubii • 1 June 2020 at 6:07 AM

Cain looked at the troop and snickered,
“I’m sorry, I can’t help you.”
He looked down at Nala who looked pleading and he sighed.

Nala turned to Nieve,
“I know I won’t be much help, I’ll try though even if this bird brain won’t.”
She said.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 1 June 2020 at 6:46 AM

Lafayette was the first to get out of the bathroom, the second was Napoleon and the third was Clementine.

Napoleon ruffles his feathers. "Hey." He said.

Female
86 posts

starfire_nebula • 1 June 2020 at 7:41 AM

Nieve smiled warmly.
"Nala, thank you. Your efforts are very appreciated. And Cain," she adds, "if you want to stand by and watch, that's fine. I wouldn't get in the way though."

Nieve preened her feathers and turned to address the others.
"Well, what are we waiting for? We have a long day ahead of us. Let's start with the basics," she announces.
She motioned everyone to head to the table as she pulled out a well-worn scrap of paper from her study.

Setting the paper down, she took a breath and closed her eyes, feeling her pendant.
I'm doing this for you, Mima.

Gender Fluid
1,346 posts

kayuubii • 1 June 2020 at 8:01 AM

Cain laughed mockingly, if he stood aside, these birds wouldn’t be able to do anything! He thought to himself, but it might be entertaining.

Nala flew after Nieve before going back to Cain to wrap her small wings around the back of his neck lovingly,
“Don’t think i don’t like you anymore Cain, you’re my best friend.”
She said.

Female
86 posts

starfire_nebula • 1 June 2020 at 8:02 AM

*b back later* 😉

Gender Fluid
1,346 posts

kayuubii • 1 June 2020 at 8:03 AM

( okay byee! )

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 1 June 2020 at 8:17 AM

(ok)

Napoleon notices Lafayette whose face was interested the parchment. Clementine appears to be in thought but in reality knows nothing.

Napoleon scratches his neck which was itchy.

Gender Fluid
1,346 posts

kayuubii • 1 June 2020 at 10:26 AM

Nala turned around and flew to Nieve.

Cain watched her go and shook his head, he couldn’t stop her doing what she wanted, but she was way too small to fight anyone! He’d have to stop her somehow, but couldn’t think how to.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 1 June 2020 at 10:40 AM

(gtg)

Female
86 posts

starfire_nebula • 1 June 2020 at 8:00 PM

"So," begins Nieve, "what you are all looking at is a document containing some classified info on some of the regime's outposts and activities."

She pauses, rubbing her amethyst for comfort, then moves on.
"Now, before you get excited, please note that this parchment was created.... oh, i'd say about 8 years ago."

She flinched as there was a collective groan.
"I know what you're thinking. But, even if it seems outdated, it's actually pretty accurate, only a few minor details being revamped but its not drastic. As you can see, it is basically a hand-sketched map of Aviare," she continues, stretching out the ends so everyone can see.
"And these little tower-like icons suggest outpost locations. The tree obviously means HQ in the Water. Another interesting thing to note is that, every kingdom has at least two outposts, on opposite ends. The parchment was drawn out when said constructions where being built. However," she adds, pointing to the little tower in the Kingdom of Winter, "there was only one planned for Winter. Apparently, Scar Face doesn't have many snow buddies willing to tough it out on that location."

Crusoe shifted uncomfortably. Nieve shot him an apologetic glance before moving on.
"Recently, meaning a couple weeks back, Crusoe and I scouted out to those coordinates. The outpost there is still up and running, a bit more fortified with obvious years of effort. Coincidentally, its on the opposite end of the Kingdom, therefore explaining how we've evaded capture for so long."

She paused once again for effect.
"So we assumed there had to be another one close by, because it had been years of Scar Face pushing for support, right? But get this," she says, practically glowing with excitement.

"There never was a second outpost built here," finishes Crusoe.

Nieve nods.
"Which explains why this sector is gaining so much more attention and patrols lately."

Crusoe was about to add more but was interrupted my Piffy glowering at them.
"What?!" she squeaked. "You guys went on a top-secret mission without me?! How dare you!" She seemed genuinely angry, though the fact that she was still a chick only made it look like a temper tantrum.

Nieve smiled sadly.
"While we would love for you to accompany us on our daring adventures, we wouldn't want anything to happen to you. It's very dangerous and too risky. Plus, you can help us too by doing other things like, flight training."

Nieve shakes a scolding finger at Piffy.
"Which you, young chick, haven't been doing lately."

Piffy hopped onto the table, defiant.
"Well I don't like flying! Hopping is better! See how high I can jump? Can't that be good enough to save the world?" She spat back.

Nieve sighed and pulled Piffy into a hug, melting her toughness away.
"I know how bad you want this, Piff. Listen, how about a deal? You can come with us on some missions," she starts, noticing Piffy's growing excitement. "But only if you promise to keep training with Crusoe and do exactly as I say in the mission."

Piffy huffed, defeated.
"Oh, alright," she says nasally.

*srry for the long entry.... gn*

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 1 June 2020 at 8:32 PM

(it's okay

Lafayette's eyes brightened up. "Very interesting! I had heard from my uncle who worked on these patrol towers that apparently, there used to be a second patrol tower in the winter—"

He goes back to his room for a while and retrieved an even older parchment paper and set it on the table. "there was until it destroyed by rebels."

Napoleon smiles, understanding. "Hence why patrols are getting stricter and stricter."

Female
86 posts

starfire_nebula • 1 June 2020 at 9:26 PM

Nieve perks up.
"Well, that's a nice tidbit, Lafayette! Thanks for bringing that up." She smiles and adds, "Which will help us a lot."

Crusoe continues.
"So, if we want to get anywhere with this little... revolution... of ours, I'd suggest maybe we should start simple. Namely, investigating that remaining outpost and measuring its systems, preferably gathering information on the patrol shifts, news on the rebuilding on the second outpost, and any bits we can squeeze out from HQ."
He stops, looking at Napoleon.
"And what we are not gonna do is charge in there like a bunch of ferals and smash the life outta all of 'em," he breathes, "no offense. I think going vigilante and hiding in the bush would be a bit better, at least until we have a strong vault of knowledge on our opponent's resources in this area."

He then breaks out a wicked grin.
"And then perhaps stopping by the bar for a few rounds and some sweet ladies as a mission completion reward."
Crusoe faces Nieve, searching for any hint of amusement in her stone cold face, finding none.

Nieve rolls her eyes. "Maybe add that to the list of not-to-do's? Anyway, now we know that our first priority is to merely gather more info to add to our measly stockpile and do a little spying, let's move on to preparation and training."

She turns to face everyone at the table.
"Granted, we all have different talents to help out in the field. We can help each other with some training, in addition to making sure we have enough equipment to suit our missions. Perhaps Lafayette would like to be our mission's gadgetry manager?" Nieve turns to him as she says this.

"We could use some accessories, and I believe that you can make something amazing for us. I have a storage bin with odd bits and pieces of old tech, I hope that's enough to start with. Of course, I have some friends, or rather, connections, that might have some extra stuff squirreled away for us."

Moving on with the assignments, she mentions to Clementine that perhaps she can learn some new music as a way to help. Crusoe scoffs.
"What, are you gonna sing them to death?" He sneered.

Nieve warningly shoved him, and he got the point.
"Perhaps not as a deadly attack, but maybe as a distraction." She winks at Clementine, then addresses Napoleon.
"And for you, my fine feathered bullet, can help us with your speed. Of course, some hunting lessons from Crusoe wouldn't hurt. Speed plus strong attack equals perfect ninja. Just don't let him shove you around," she warns, hearing Crusoe huff.

"As for Nala," she says softly, smiling warmly at the little hummingbird, "I think that you are a bit of a wildcard. I don't want to risk you having to freeze to death out with us. But, we could use a design expert, if you feel up to that. With your long, needle-like beak, we can sow up some armor and sheathes, and if you feel up to it, add an honorable flair to them. We don't want to be looking drab either."

Nieve lets out a long breath, as if she hadn't breathed the entire ordeal.
"Lastly, Crusoe could act as a sentry with his sharp eyes and I wouldn't mind gathering info with my good hearing. Piffy, you can help Nala by doing your rather ingenious color-extraction process as a designer assistant." The young puffin raised her chin, obviously proud that she had something someone else didn't.

"Everyone good with that or any suggestions, comments, concerns?" Nieve squeezed her pendant.

*okie gn 4 real haha*

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 1 June 2020 at 10:08 PM

(Night!)

Napoleon notices Lafayette's wide grin and smiles. Clementine scoffs at Nieve. "I grew up in the capital and I know what the soldier's love listening to."

"And.... Uhhh.... I already know how to hunt." Napoleon shyly adds.

"Don't worry Nieve!" Lafayette begins as he once again returns from his room and brings in blueprints. He layed all of them down on the table. The blueprints revealed designs of armour, machines and other things. "I already am prepared!"

Gender Fluid
1,346 posts

kayuubii • 2 June 2020 at 3:42 AM

Nala stood silently, she was struggling to take in everything they said so she tried hard to concentrate.

Cain got bored so listened in to what they were saying.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 2 June 2020 at 7:36 AM

"Nerd." Clementine murmured, earning a sigh from Napoleon.

Female
86 posts

starfire_nebula • 2 June 2020 at 8:29 AM

"Perfect," responds Nieve.
"Then Clementine, keep practicing. We'll need all the training we can afford right now. Perhaps there's some type of note that can mentally affect our opponent? Like a lullaby that instantly puts them to sleep? Whatever you have or can come up with will help. And Napoleon, we need you to become the fastest falcon ever within a few weeks. How about this? Our goal is for you to be able to travel to the opposite end of the Winter and back in no more than.... 10 minutes. I say 10 because Winter is by far the vastest Kingdom. You think you can achieve that? I'm sure Crusoe would love to add in some ambush scenarios and whatnot to help better refine that speed and agility of yours. Of course, speed without caution is disaster."

She scans the blueprints laid out by Lafayette. "Awesome! Go ahead and scavenge from that chest of mine, I hope you find what you're looking for! If you need anything, let me know."

Gender Fluid
1,346 posts

kayuubii • 2 June 2020 at 8:39 AM

Nala sat down, waiting for someone to tell her what to do.

Cain walked closer to the nest to hear what they were talking about. He was tempted to barge in and snatch Nala away from harm but resisted.