gobblers not opening in a new window

in Problems & Bugs

278 posts

birdboysplace • 11 November 2021 at 8:09 PM

Today when I clicked on a gobbler, it did not open in a new "small" window.
Don't know what the deal is with this? Makes it harder to collect gobblers, that's for sure.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 11 November 2021 at 8:43 PM

Having to open them in separate windows or go back to the page I was viewing EVERY time is WAY more inconvenient than the VERY occasional error.

100% do Not like. Please take us back to having the Gobblers open in small windows.

@birdboysplace
They were trying to fix a 405 "Method Not Allowed" error that occurred when clicking Gobblers.

Cisgender Male
306 posts

tryvegan4theanimals • 11 November 2021 at 11:29 PM

@birdboysplace @snowywinter Agreed, I hope devs will revert back to the previous method of creating an overlay box within the page instead of going to a new page. Hopefully it's just a temporary change while they debug stuff 🤞

87 posts

structuresfromsilence • 11 November 2021 at 11:56 PM

I was about to post this question. Not a fan, please change it back.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 12 November 2021 at 12:42 AM

@tryvegan4theanimals

true. It's better than the event being shut down temporarily. Or not having it at all.
(I am very grateful to have such a fun event anyhow.)
So yes, let's hope this is just a temporary alternative while things are debugged.

Female
584 posts

hinokazes • 12 November 2021 at 1:08 AM

Have no idea what was that issue they were trying to fix (never encountered any error while hunting for gobbler), but going to a whole new page is really annoying, and for someone like me trying to not use too much the mouse because my hands hurt easily, I have to move it even more now which doesn't help :| It breaks completely the hunt for me.

Wasn't a fan either of the complete lack of public announcement for that change, too...

97 posts

riceboysleeps • 12 November 2021 at 1:52 AM

Same here. Never any issue, but having a new page load now is annoying ☚ī¸

Deleted • 12 November 2021 at 2:27 AM

I don't like this one bit as well, but hoping it's just a bug or due to... testing stuff. ^^

EDIT: so, for now I'm doing this... just refreshing the "you found a gobbler page" and seeing If I can catch gobblers directly there so I don't have to switch tab every time. Working neatly so far for me, you might want to try as well!

19 posts

bunnywabbit • 12 November 2021 at 2:56 AM

For a moment, I thought it was a glitch. Please take us back to what it was like. This is annoying and takes the fun out of playing. Thank you.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 12 November 2021 at 3:24 AM

@sinthr Thank you for that. I was wondering if Gobblers could now also be found on the 'Found a Gobbler' page or not. (I hadn't really spent much time looking as I was busy doing other stuff.)

Female
27 posts

lady_dreamwyn • 12 November 2021 at 6:04 AM

I do hope they change this back, or at least have it open in a full tab or something. Finding these little boogers is hard enough already without this.

I've been using the click exchange a bit for gobbler hunting, myself, since those already open in a new tab.

Female
408 posts

izziedragon • 12 November 2021 at 9:03 AM

I was wondering the same thing yesterday. I was doing it on mobile while with a friend and didn't think to check here if others were having the same issue. Definitely breaks the flow of things a bit.

Female
1,621 posts

solaris • 12 November 2021 at 9:06 AM

Yes, I hate it. Especially when I Gobbler hunt while feeding coves. It slows my rhythm!

Cisgender Male
306 posts

tryvegan4theanimals • 12 November 2021 at 10:51 AM

Agreed, it's been slowing my rhythm considerably 😕

Devs, could we get a quick update? Is this a temporary or a permanent change? We'd really appreciate it!

Female
114 posts

pooh • 12 November 2021 at 1:01 PM

Same. T_T Waiting for a fix. ❤ī¸

97 posts

riceboysleeps • 12 November 2021 at 1:17 PM

@ian check out this thread. We don't like the new page, any updates?

Female
62 posts

tehuti88 • 12 November 2021 at 4:02 PM

Well at least it isn't just me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

139 posts

viltuvitrast • 12 November 2021 at 5:29 PM

Please change it back!

Has anyone heard anything?

*crickets*

Female
1,867 posts

brookie • 12 November 2021 at 5:44 PM

I'm also having the same issue ☚ī¸

Female
5,402 posts

Orderedchaos • 12 November 2021 at 6:05 PM

In order to fix the 405 error that people were encountering Gobblars now open on a new page instead of a popup. This is not a bug, this is a fix to a bug several people reported.

112 posts

autumnal • 12 November 2021 at 7:40 PM

@orderedchaos but pretty much everyone wants to change it back (every single post in this thread). I never experienced this bug, but it's much more tedious to get gobblers now ☚ī¸

I'll ping everyone who said they want to change it back: @brookie @viltuvitrast @tehuti88 @riceboysleeps @pooh @tryvegan4theanimals @solaris @izziedragon @lady_dreamwyn @snowywinter @bunnywabbit @sinthr @hinokazes @structuresfromsilence

Cisgender Male
306 posts

tryvegan4theanimals • 12 November 2021 at 8:03 PM

@Orderedchaos oh no đŸ˜Ĩ

@autumnal agreed, please change it back devs! 🤞

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 12 November 2021 at 8:33 PM

@autumnal As one of the people that was experiencing the bug, I will say the bug was MUCH LESS annoying than the fix. ☚ī¸ (Confusing, but much easier to ignore and carry on/continue playing.)

Female
27 posts

lady_dreamwyn • 13 November 2021 at 5:31 AM

I'm sorry, but this simply is not a good fix. I didn't even realize there WAS an error. I understand the desire to fix things, but I feel like you should have asked the community first if they even felt like this "fix" would be worth it.

I like EC. I especially like how friendly the community is. But I don't like the way we're being disregarded here.

Deleted • 13 November 2021 at 5:42 AM

@birdboysplace

Although I do agree that this "fix" is bothersome (I adapted to simply refreshing on the "gobbler found" page BUT it's true If you refresh over a gobbler, then you can't hit back to grab it again in case you miss it), I don't think clogging the ticket system will help, it'll make it harder for mods and for Ian itself and it will busy them to reply to everyone! I pretty much think at some point he will take note of this topic ('cause he actually listens to his userbase's feedback most of times and cares), so maybe let's just keep this board alive? Maybe let's just ping him in once and see what happens? And suggest way to improve the hunt? (:

@Ian

May I suggest we completely remove the "gobbler found feature"? So something like... you click on the gobbler, the gobbler count goes up by 1 like it should, but the page simply refreshes itself, without annoying pop-ups or being redirected to another page. Would this be possible, code wise?

Deleted • 13 November 2021 at 9:55 AM

@birdboysplace

Not meant that you were trying to. c; Just saying that is what most likely to happen If we all make a ticket about the same issue. Sorry If the way I phrased it came out rude or anything, wasn't trying to be, I can assure you. x)

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 13 November 2021 at 10:32 AM

@birdboysplace I already let him know how I feel about it in the troubleshooting ticket(s)/thread we had going... but I do agree with @sinthr, making a bunch of tickets would just clog the system. The best thing to do is keep this thread alive.

Sinthr, agreed; if possible, I rather it not redirect at all if it can somehow make the count still go up. As nice as it is getting a little proverbial confetti, it's even nicer not having what we're working on (feeding, editing a post, etc. interrupted.)

97 posts

riceboysleeps • 13 November 2021 at 1:30 PM

@autumnal @birdboysplace Thanks for the ping. I will continue to post on this thread until the devs decide to listen to us. It's the weekend though so it's okay if it takes them a little while. But sooner is better than later 😉

@snowywinter @sinthr I like that idea. no overlay or redirect to new window. Just a +1 where the gobbler pic was that fades away after a few seconds. But if that's not possible then please get rid of the redirect @ian @orderedchaos. It makes this even more of a chore.

89 posts

dougprishpreed • 13 November 2021 at 2:47 PM

I also don't like the change, and this is the first I've heard about a bug 🤔

Female
114 posts

pooh • 13 November 2021 at 3:12 PM

@sinthr
I agree with you, I think counting Gobblers without pop ups will be better decision (if it possible, of course)