Site very slow for event

in Problems & Bugs

Female
62 posts

tehuti88 • 14 February 2024 at 1:56 PM

The site's been rather slow lately but is especially so since the start of the Chocotravaganza Exchange, possibly the strain of too many users on the server...? (See the main event thread for multiple users reporting this issue.) This makes participating in the event and collecting chocolates extremely time consuming and frustrating. Is there any way it can be fixed...?

EDIT: According to the site, it took me 15 seconds to go view my own thread here immediately after posting.

Female
2,942 posts

heatherm19 • 14 February 2024 at 2:04 PM

I've seen a *lot* of lag while trying to feed since the event started, which really slows down the rhythm of feeding an causes me to miss multiple creatures sometimes when it doesn't load properly.

On one hand it's like, yeah there is probably an increase in user activity because of the event, but on the other hand the site has done enough of these events by now that I'd think they'd know about the increase in advance and try to plan for it in some way?

Agender
101 posts

silvia • 14 February 2024 at 2:06 PM

Same here, I think I'm missing a lot of creatures while feeding (feeding button loads slowly, pages as well). I think it's just, there are too many users on and clicking right now... maybe the server needs a little boost of it will get better after the hype dies down... problem is, may feed a lot especially today to get release day creatures... hope it can be fixed soon! πŸ™πŸ’ͺ

Female
471 posts

sandara • 14 February 2024 at 2:15 PM

The same thing happening here, but I think this happens now and then.
It's due to having too many people actively feeding (especially since people want to get the Ariovis on Valentine's Day) and should be okay tomorrow.

Female
574 posts

iia • 14 February 2024 at 2:42 PM

I thought it was just me! I'm also experiencing a lot of unusual lag on any devices I use eggcave on. If this is an eggcave issue and not a factor under my control its been quite an inconvenience especially considering the event πŸ˜‹

Female
351 posts

umbregrl • 14 February 2024 at 5:52 PM

Same here. But I also had a lot of lag yesterday and the event wasn't on yet.

Female
5,409 posts

Orderedchaos • 14 February 2024 at 6:06 PM

This happens for the first day of every event every year. The Chocolate Event is always the worst the first day because people are rushing to get the new creature. It will get better once people stop slamming the server. There is really not a whole lot we can do to fix the lag.

Cis Female
604 posts

kataclysm • 15 February 2024 at 6:10 PM

Still a little slow on day 2. >: If it's a known issue, isn't there some way to beef up your server or upgrade it? Other sites that get a lot of traffic don't trickle to a halt.

Agender
101 posts

silvia • 16 February 2024 at 3:11 AM

Exactly what @kataclysm said.

Servers can be strengthened to provide access to more users and more activity, usually, and it's a bit... well, unusual, to set an event revolving around multiple users being online to click creatures and then not give said users the means to participate serenely (it's not fair considering users will especially work double hard the first day, so they can get release day creatures, and it's bad to make them go through lags that have become common occurrences). So there is something that can be done, I guess, but it lays on @Ian's own hands. Asking If there is the possibility to give some more power to the EC server, as this site is growing and keeps growing? Just knowing this would / will be worked on would be a big thing, compared to be left mulling over it. πŸ™πŸ’–

Female
1,647 posts

alraune3 • 19 February 2024 at 9:27 AM

@Orderedchaos
It is now day 6 of the event and the website still has longer periods in which it performs very slowly.

I have never found this as unpleasant as this time in previous years. Maybe there is something that can yet be done?

Female
2,942 posts

heatherm19 • 20 February 2024 at 2:46 AM

It really does seem more laggy than usual even for an event. If the 1st-day event surge was solely the issue it should've evened out by now. This amount of lag is frustrating when trying to feed quickly, as sometimes my feed-clicks aren't even registering.

Agender
101 posts

silvia • 26 February 2024 at 4:13 AM

Yeah, and we're now also having a lot of "handshake failed" errors and whatnot (and these are last day of events so it didn't solve itself after the first days, so it seems). 🌧️It have been reported here as well. I'm with @kataclysm on this, it would be nice If the server was strengthened a little (If possible). Giving it time is a good solution but a site should work as intended and allow its users to... well, use it, after all. I'll be waiting (and hoping) about a possible solution (we'll go through lags and bugs together!). πŸ’ͺ