So You Think You Can WRITE?

in General

Female
4,319 posts

redfire77 • 26 August 2011 at 12:39 AM

@smilies kay 😃 here it is: btw, it's a speech kind of thing.
You're on a farm. The farmer grins at you and says, "Watch this!" He calls to his pigs, who hurry towards him to be fed. He scoops up some corn for them and tosses it on the ground. The pigs sniff it and look back up at the farmer, confused. Then, the farmer scoops corn from another bin and tosses it on the floor near the pigs, who quickly eat it. The farmer turns to you and explains, "The first corn is genetically engineered. They won't touch it." There is something significant to be said about pigs instinctively avoiding genetically modified organisms, also known as GMOs. Genetically modified organisms should be regulated because there are environmental and ethical risks, and can cause collateral damage to the ecosystem.
GMOs change ecosystems in significant ways. Once genetically modified animals are introduced into an ecosystem, there may have devastating effects. This is because they are not naturally found there. A study in which fish escaped the nets in the aquaculture farms they were held in shows the 'Trojan gene effect.' This can wipe out entire populations if the modified fish breed with the natural fish. The genetically modified plants will cross-pollinate with the natural weeds which will create herbicide-resistant weeds.
-cont-

Deleted • 26 August 2011 at 12:43 AM

-cont-
The contaminated weeds may become 'superweeds' and wipe out native plants and compromise the ecosystem. Also, the plants may cross-pollinate with organic fields nearby, contaminating the plants. USDA regulations require organic foods to be GM free, so the organic farmers will have to replant.
Changing the genetic makeup of living organisms is unethical. Tampering with the genetic structure of an animals causes pain. An example of this is laparotomy. Although it is performed under general anaesthetic, laparotomy can cause post-operative pain. Causing pain to animals is immoral. In addition, some animals that eat genetically modified feed die. In an Andhra Pradesh village, buffalo grazed on cotton plants for eight years without incident. On January 3rd, 2008, 13 buffalo grazed on Bt cotton plants for the first time. All died within three days.
GMOs can cause unintended damage to the environment. Plants and animals that are designed to be resistant to bacteria quickly lose their resistance because the bacteria have formed a new strain, becoming stronger and harder to kill. The farmers spray more insecticde on the plants, and in turn, the pests grow even stronger. Eventually, the bacteria will become a "superbug" resistant to virtually all antibiotics and insecticides, wiping out entire crops. This can cause serious food shortages and famine.
-cont-

Female
4,319 posts

redfire77 • 26 August 2011 at 12:43 AM

-cont-
Overall, genetically modified organisms can cause problems for the environment, the process of modification is immoral, and there can be unforeseen risks to the ecosystem. However, this can be avoided by requiring GM foods to be labeled. You can also boycott products and byproducts of Monsanto and affiliates who genetically modify their crops. The next time you eat a tomato, or some bacon, question whether it is a natural food, or a frankenfood.

THE END

sorry if it bored you. I decided to write something that actually had meaning 😋

9,386 posts

smilies • 26 August 2011 at 12:47 AM

@redfire77 Wow. If I have to do a speech in English next year, I can proudly say I've already wrote it xD

Other
3,225 posts

pipkitten • 26 August 2011 at 12:49 AM

@Smilies: May I enter in this lovely contest?

9,386 posts

smilies • 26 August 2011 at 12:49 AM

@pipkitten Sure!

5,632 posts

linpug • 26 August 2011 at 12:55 AM

y

Other
3,225 posts

pipkitten • 26 August 2011 at 1:18 AM

@Smilies: Yay! 😃 *breaks out story* Time to start typing~ 😋

"Nightmares: everyone has them. Terrifying, yet beautiful; horrid, yet wonderful in a twisted way. I am one such nightmare. I have no true name... You must name me with your worst fears and your most horrible thoughts. I am the darkness that lurks in your heart and soul..."

A scream rips through the velvety silence of the night, and a small girl, no more than seven, runs through the dark woods. The wretched creature pursuing her is black as night; not quite running, but instead gliding through the air, dark wisps enveloping his body. The girl finds herself cornered in the ruins of an old house and lets out a piteous whimper as the creature draws near.

"Do you fear me?" the creature asks, a sadistic grin on his face. The girl gives no reply. "I asked you a question little one. Do you fear me??" This time, the girl responds with a small "Yes." Upon hearing this, the creature's grin grows wider. "Do you know my name, little one?" the creature questions, taking a couple of steps towards his victim. "No," the girl squeakily replies, trying to sink into the wall behind her, "Wh-what are you?!"

The creature laughs, his terrifying cackles echoing off of the surrounding trees. "I chase you because I know your deepest fears... Your regrets, even your darkest secrets. You, in pure terror, must give me a name. I am a demon. One who preys on the innocent minds of children like you..."

Other
103 posts

honor • 26 August 2011 at 1:19 AM

Continuing story! 😉

Other
3,225 posts

pipkitten • 26 August 2011 at 1:20 AM

The girl tries to make a getaway, but is caught before she can run three feet. She gives a terrified shriek, but falls silent when a jet-black claw is placed at her throat. "Do you have a name for me yet, little one?" the creature asks, his voice dark as a moonless night. "Y-yes," the girl stutters. "What is it then, little one?" "Nameless..!"

Again, the creature laughs. "I...am Nameless."

The end~

Female
4,319 posts

redfire77 • 26 August 2011 at 1:21 AM

@smilies haha, thanks XD

9,386 posts

smilies • 26 August 2011 at 1:23 AM

@pipkitten Nice! 😊

Other
3,225 posts

pipkitten • 26 August 2011 at 1:26 AM

@Smilies: Thanks! 😸

Female
307 posts

ayuzawa • 26 August 2011 at 5:33 AM

@smilies i have somehow been plunged into a state of wanting to write, draw and think about sad stuff, so I'm starting my story now.

She skipped out on the rugged path, with pebbles strewn across and the grass torn out in tufts. Lily had known that it was dangerous coming down here, but she was twelve already. Old enough. She wasn't a baby. She smiled confidently to herself, trying to ignore that feeling at the back of her mind...

Leaves rustled forlornly, the grass moved unnaturally, waving to her, as if telling her to not go there. but Lily wanted to. To eat those sweet blueberries, to share them with mother and brother, to have a picnic with everyone in the class praising her.

She began to feel cold, having only been dressed with a llight petticoat. Many small rustles alerted her, and many small spiders scuttled out of the bushes. And she could feel it, that dark, terrible presence right behind her...

9,386 posts

smilies • 26 August 2011 at 5:36 AM

@ayuzawa Super start 😊

Female
307 posts

ayuzawa • 26 August 2011 at 5:40 AM

continued~ and please, someone say something so i can post my next thing.

She turned around. And she couldn't believe it. Hanging in the air, her brother. And mother. And the creature that held them was something that didn't exist, no, shouldn't exist. It wasn't a dragon of which brother told tales of knights slaying. it was pure insanity.

"For long enough, you have interrupted our land. For long enough, you have soiled our Mother, our Earth. Gaia is not happy with you at all, at you despicable humans. But always you cowards have stayed out. But now I have a reason, you trespasser. Those blueberries are not yours. But thank you, thank you, for coming. YOU DESPICABLE HUMAN!" growled the creature and suddenly transformed into a large, drooling mantis. Its claws snapped, and it advanced...

Lily fell back in sheer terror. She tried to crawl away, from the large creature of certain doom, but her body would not obey her.

"Why?" she cried out, in an attempt to stall her impending doom and to know the truth. "What have I done? And why do you hate humans that much?"

The mantis stared at her with huge unblinking eyes. It seemed to ponder for a moment, then sighed.

"Very well. I will give you a chance to live. For now, listen to my story," it said. Lily could almost see tears in its eyes.

-to be continued-

9,386 posts

smilies • 26 August 2011 at 5:56 AM

@ayuzawa Continue 😊

Female
307 posts

ayuzawa • 26 August 2011 at 6:35 AM

@smilies ty, hope you like this even though it's really dark. well, not necessarily dark but gloomy.

'From the beginning of time, Gaia has embraced us with loving arms. For many centuries, us arachnids basked in the glow of her love, scurry back and forth, doing her will. Yet she wanted something new, something 'intelligent'. And thus humans were created.

Over time, you developed, and flourished within the world. Gaia was exhilarated. We were happy too because of her happiness. But she soon became greedy. She wanted the power to create and undo, the power to rule all.

And then you started to expand, take over. Started to kill her creations. but Gaia didn't care, maybe she was even happy to see her prized creation rule all. She was busy trying to make, be a ruler. And humans just kept expanding, not taking care of anything, ANYTHING!

We are Gaia's children too. We DESERVE a place on her planet. WE are the ones that have loyally served her for years, yet HUMANS DARE to take away our peace!" it growled, it's old memories flowing, paining, stabbing at its poor, writhing mind.

9,386 posts

smilies • 26 August 2011 at 6:37 AM

@ayuzawa That's GOOD 😊

Female
307 posts

ayuzawa • 26 August 2011 at 6:42 AM

okay, last part~ This is sorta based on philospy of anovel i have to do for school~ so I'm gonna use this in some way here... but then I have soilders as chess pieces in there... sigh... last part! because I exceeded 1500 words/

By the way, i am being extremely cheap at getting page views but my website on deviantart is http://androseer.deviantart.com/

Last Part!~

And something extraordinary happened. Its body convulsed and bulged, its mantis shell ripped away. There was its true form, King of Kings, the King Arachnid. It seemed to stand up to the sky. Its face glared at Lily, yet behind it she also saw pity and sympathy.

She knew it. This was her fate. To die, to be the first step of cleansing this rotten, confusing world of the poison that had eaten through it. Humans. She lay down, accepting her fate, and smiled. If only this was a dream, a nightmare.

But it wasn't, she thought, as that black claw started to crush her.

Female
257 posts

lunarstarz • 26 August 2011 at 6:52 AM

@ayuzawa

Finally! I see a story where someone dies!
Just to let you know, I'm a newcomer, came only two days ago, and I have seen many stories in the forums. Some are scary, some are joyful, some are just plain old insane. But no one ever talks about the 'evil peoples' feelings, or let someone die

Not that I embrace the thought of people dying! It's just that many people sometimes can't get over the fact that real life isn't 'good beats evil all the time'

And to think I'm saying this on the internet 😸
Can I friend you 😃?

Female
307 posts

ayuzawa • 26 August 2011 at 6:56 AM

@lunarstarz

if you read mangas like Mahou Sensei negima and Medaka Box, they go into a lot of detail about ife and good and evil and what's he meaning of it, but thanks anyways.

And sure!

Non-binary
7,220 posts

whispers • 26 August 2011 at 7:09 AM

@smilies
wait?
so is poety accepted? cause i suck at stories XD
but, i ❤ī¸ writing poety/songs ^^

9,386 posts

smilies • 26 August 2011 at 7:11 AM

@whispers No, sorry ☚ī¸

Non-binary
7,220 posts

whispers • 26 August 2011 at 7:15 AM

@smilies
k ^^ im fines with that..

3,562 posts

cafe • 26 August 2011 at 7:20 AM

May I join. I'm bored xD

9,386 posts

smilies • 26 August 2011 at 7:21 AM

@cafe Yea.

Female
2,270 posts

randomkitty17 • 26 August 2011 at 7:43 AM

@smilies that was based off of something at school o.o at lunch, Born This Way randomly started playing and then a guy dressed up as Spongebob walked in O_o

9,386 posts

smilies • 26 August 2011 at 7:46 AM

@randomkitty17 LOL, really? xD CRAZY. But Imma sleep soon D: WEEKEND TOMORROW THOUGH! 😃

Female
2,270 posts

randomkitty17 • 26 August 2011 at 7:48 AM

@smilies they canceled school for us because they were paranoid about Irene! MUAHAHA 😈