The Enabled (Role-Play)

in Roleplaying

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 23 January 2017 at 2:31 AM

~~~~

"Mr. Vietkov... I hear that you are looking to get some exercise."

Mr. Lee was speaking through the intercom again. He watched through the camera as two soldiers cautiously approached Vladan to restrain him and bring him to the training grounds.

"I promise, you will not be disappointed."

Kita waited, fidgeting. Mr. Lee had said that she would be sparring today, or as he put it, 'demonstrating her abilities in a combat setting'.

She had asked Verity to use her power on her again and was still enjoying the hazy aftermath. She knew that it was less than ideal for a combat situation, but she was far past the point of caring anymore.

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 23 January 2017 at 2:43 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"I'm certainly looking forward to it." He said cockily when he was pushed forwards into the room. Vladan chuckled lightly, as he cracked his knuckles in preparation for the beat down he was about to give.

The blindfold was pulled away and he froze.

"What is this?" He said slowly. "I asked for able soldiers to fight against, not a woman."

Vladan cleared his throat. "I don't know why you choose to play these stupid games, Lee." He called out in annoyance.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 23 January 2017 at 3:27 AM

Kita stared at Vladan in shock. Vladan seemed as surprised as she was.

"You asked for exercise, Vietkov. From what I have seen, this girl is a more than capable fighter, and as I recall, the only reason you refused to fight her last time was because you did not view her as a challenge."

Kita did not know what to do. She was still a little dazed from Verity's power and she was well aware that she probably looked like a deer in the headlights.

"Unless you have another reason that you refuse to fight."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 23 January 2017 at 11:14 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

Vladan took in a heavy breath, before releasing it slowly in an attempt to settle his growing anger. "Fine." He said irrationally. The man stepped more towards the center of the training room, cocking his head to the side as he focused his gaze on Kita.

"She still isn't a challenge, Lee. I would like to fight someone I haven't already fought and won multiple times already." He said those words thinly, spitting them out like they were poison. They were meant to antagonize Lee, but after they came out, he realized that they probably would have bothered Kita a lot more.

His pride was bigger than his heart, but then again, if he fought her, Lee would come out on top. If he didn't fight her, Lee would come out on top.

Regardless, Vladan realized that he had lost. He would either become a monster by hurting what he cared about, or a weakling for forfeiting without a fight.

"Come on." He said to Kita. "No James here to back you up. No Willow. No knives, no interruptions. Just you and me, our last dance."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 23 January 2017 at 11:29 AM

Kita looked for some sign that he was joking, but saw nothing. He was serous. She thought of the soldier from the last time he fought and her blood froze.

Something like determination crossed her face, despite her realization that she was not likely to win this fight. A spark of the old Kita, the one who had tried to recover stolen jewels from him all those months ago...

She darted forward, making brief contact with his arm, mimicking his insensitivity to pain. There was no doubt that it was the power she would most likely need most...

She then backed up, hoping to get out of his reach before he could land a hit.

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 23 January 2017 at 11:48 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"Smart girl." Vladan said, realizing what Kita had done. "That won't help you in hand to hand combat." He said lowly as he glanced around the room. There were a few wooden chairs and a table near the wall. Several soldiers stood nearby, keeping watch in case anything went terribly wrong. The one that held Vladan's blindfold was making small talk with his partner in the corner, and he could tell they were making bets on who would come out on top.

There were windows high up on the ceiling, and a punching bag in the corner. Several targets lined the adjacent wall, and a few knives and arrows were imbedded deep in the surfaces.

He turned back to face her, starting to slowly edge around her as he did so. The man placed his fists in front of his face, preparing himself to deal a heavy blow that would hopefully knock her out before the fight could even properly begin.

"It's a shame that Lee favors you like that. If I didn't know better, I would have thought you enjoy being his little lapdog." He said insultingly, before moving in and sending a punch towards the side of her face, then an uppercut at her jaw.

If he could daze her then get her on the ground, the fight would be easy.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 23 January 2017 at 12:15 PM

Kita just barely ducked in time. He might have missed by a larger margin were she not still slow from her session with Verity, but she felt his fist brush by her jaw. It was luck, she knew that. She would likely not be as lucky the next time.

"I'm trying to survive, Vladan. And I'm doing a better job of it than you are. At least I was until you got daddy involved. I don't have that advantage working for me so I have to make certain decisions to survive."

"Do you think I wanted to be his pet?" she asked. "No. But I'm alive."

She aimed a kick for his shin. Twelve minutes... That was all she had before Vladan's advantage increased substantially...

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 23 January 2017 at 12:28 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

Vladan scoffed. Kita's words certainly did put him more on edge than he was before. "I didn't ask him to do any of this for me." He growled. "But I take what comes my way, especially if it does me as much good as it does in this dump."

Vladan saw the kick coming, and a wide smile spread across his face. "A bit smarter than when we first met, but I thought you would know better by now."

He took a step back, aiming to yank her ankle back.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 23 January 2017 at 12:37 PM

Caught off-balance, Kita stumbled slightly. She had forgotten Vladan's prowess at hand-to-hand combat, but she had not been sitting idle...

Allowing herself to drop to the floor, she swung her other leg around in an attempt to trip him from behind. It would put her in a vulnerable position, but perhaps it would throw him off enough that she could put distance enough between them to plan her next move...

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 23 January 2017 at 12:52 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

Vladan let out a grunt as Kita's swing knocked him off balance. He dropped to the floor, but rolled over quickly in search of his opponent. The man spotted her several feet away, and he scrambled towards her, making to grab her shin and pull her towards him.

"Just give up Kita....I won't until I win." He said through his heavy breathing.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 23 January 2017 at 1:10 PM

Kita stepped back, but was too slow. Vladan had grabbed her leg. She tried to pull it away, but he had a good grip on her. She tripped and fell hard on her hands and knees.

Pain shot up her left arm, but her knees and other arm remained unaffected. How long did she have left? Probably four or five minutes? It was difficult to say.

She tried to swing around to punch him, but she knew she was not in a good position to do so.

"I won't give up... until I lose..." She said, a wild smile crossing her face, something like insanity in her eyes.

She had spent so much time under the control of others... Russell... Puppet... Andrew... Verity... Mr. Lee...

She was not going to give in now.

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 23 January 2017 at 1:25 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

Vladan didn't see the punch coming. It was unexpected really, and he reared back, as he was stunned for a short moment from the hit to the face. He backed off now, putting several feet distance between Kita and himself.

Their fight had brought them closer to the walls, and he backed away from her, taking a slight breather as he waited for her to make her next move.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 23 January 2017 at 1:37 PM

She ran at him, all semblance of planning or strategy lost. She charged at him like a wild animal trying to knock him off his feet.

Mr. Lee smiled.

"Are you getting this, Greg?" he asked, addressing a screen to his left, where Greg's face was shown. He was impressed that Vladan was actually going for it.

And the girl... this was precisely what he wanted to see. She might not have been a match for Vietkov, but Vietkov was in a league of his own. For her to even still be fighting now... She would make quite the fighter...

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 23 January 2017 at 1:48 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

Vladan's eyes widened as Kita neared. He certainly didn't expect her to run at him like that. It was so very unlike her, really. "Kita, no-" He said suddenly, moving to catch her in his arms. Vladan dug his feet heavily into the ground to keep from losing his balance.

---

"Yes." The man replied stiffly. "I am..." He trailed off now, narrowing his eyes as he focused on the fight.

Vladan was holding back, he knew. The fight had gone on for quite some time, and he noticed that Vladan had yet to attempt giving a forceful or even lethal blow.

He kept the information to himself.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 23 January 2017 at 2:02 PM

Kita slammed into him, but he hardly moved. She felt his arms around her and she flailed, trying to break his hold.

Her movements were almost animalistic. Being caged for so long under the control of others had finally gotten to her...

Mr. Lee raised an eyebrow. Vladan's move to restrain her was unexpected and he wondered where this was going.

The girl's actions were not unexpected... he had worked with people like her before... It was the intensity that surprised him. There was no way that it could have stemmed solely from her time at the facility... There was something else there...

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 23 January 2017 at 2:18 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"Kita." He said quietly. Vladan wrapped his arms tightly around her, hoping that she would calm down if he remained stoic to her flailing.

"Kita." Vladan repeated, leaning in to whisper in her ear. "Keep holding on, darling. Willow made good promise that we could be released in little more than a month." He said quietly.

"Don't lose yourself."

---

Willow stepped through the doorway of James's room. She cleared her throat as she tried to get his attention. "I spoke to some people." The woman said quietly.

"I think I have something figured out." She moved over to his bed, sitting on the edge of it as she wrung her fingers thoughtfully.

"Human rights." Willow said. "Constitution. Everybody is created equal. Enabled are just as equal as regular people, the government holding them against their will and testing them like animals is breaking the federal law."

"We just need to gather more people. Protest something. Spread the word. It might be controversial at first, but I'm sure there will be people willing to listen."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 23 January 2017 at 2:43 PM

Kita stopped fighting, her movements slowing as she came to her senses. She began crying, ashamed that she had allowed herself to sink this low. Verity's and Vladan's powers were fading and the guilt and physical pain both came back at once.

She shook, desperate for relief. She wanted nothing more than to drown out the screaming in her head with the near-constant numbness she'd become accustomed to. She ran her fingers through her hair, desperate for comfort.

This was her lowest point- the weakness she so desperately tried to hide. She was miserable. She hated every action that she had taken here. She'd hidden behind a mask of indifference, fueled by the artificial calm of Verity's power, but there was no mask now.

"Well, Greg... He didn't tear her apart physically, but I feel that his kindness has broken her in a way that neither you nor I could have predicted..." he said, smiling.

He made a mental note to limit her interactions with Verity. It was become clear that she now relied on Verity more than he had predicted... He would not completely cut her off... perhaps allow her relief here and there until she would do anything to numb the pain...

Then even Vietkov couldn't save her...

James nodded, barely looking up. He had one of Coco's plants in front of him. It was doing poorly and he was doing his best to repair it at her request.

He liked fixing things... He had always known that his power had incredible potential to harm, but he wasn't a fighter, so he'd done his best to only use them to heal...

But there were some things beyond his help...

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 23 January 2017 at 3:01 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

Vladan patted her back lightly, adjusting his position so that she could cry comfortably against him. He could feel her shaking, and he reached up with one of his hands, using it to lightly push her chin up so that she could look him in the eye.

"Stop crying." He said with a gentleness that he rarely showed. No mind control, no influence from his power. Just a small request from him to her.

"It doesn't look good on you." Vladan joked despite the situation. "I much prefer it when you're giving me dirty looks."

---

The man leaned in with interest, rubbing the surface of his watch thoughtfully as he spectated the aftermath of the fight. "It's very much unlike Vladan to show this much mercy." Though Vladan's kindness was counted in the fact that he didn't beat the woman into a pulp, it was still something.

"Unfortunate really. He's lost some of his fire. The boy needs to fight your soldiers instead."

---

Willow sighed. "James..." The woman trailed off, kneeling next to him as she watched him work with the plant. "It's been two weeks since that day at the restaurant."

She reached over, touching one of the wilting leaves. "I spoke to one of the benefactors of the facility. Turns out Vladan's father is one of them." The leaf crumbled at her touch, and she pulled her hand back.

"He said that if he can see anything controversial or unsettling, he could contact the other donors and if it's bad enough, they might withdraw their support."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 23 January 2017 at 3:36 PM

Kita withdrew, looking down at her hands. They were shaking violently. Everything at once... It was more than she could take...

She was grabbed roughly from behind. The soldiers were separating them, dragging her back to her cell. She did not resist, still shocked at her own behavior.

"Of course." He said, not looking up from his screen. Provided he merely spars with them and does not murder them. I trust you will discuss these terms with him."

James pushed aside the plant. It was dead. There was nothing he could do for it.

"Do you believe that we can do it?" he asked quietly. "Fix things, I mean... I just feel like this situation is just so far gone..."

His gaze was fixed on the plant. It was good to have hope, but at a certain point, they had to be realistic...

"I just wish I knew how she was doing, y'know?"

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 23 January 2017 at 5:12 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"I'll see you around." Vladan said, more to himself than to anyone else. The door had been shut already behind Kita, and he turned to face the tinted helmet of a soldier. Then darkness as the cloth was tied around his face and he was shoved forwards.

---

"Will do, Lee."

---

"With help, we can." Willow said quietly, watching as James pushed the plant away. "Would you like to accompany me and Dawn tomorrow for my rounds?"

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 23 January 2017 at 5:24 PM

"Sure..." He said quietly, his mind elsewhere.

He had kept to himself for the most part, occasionally helping Coco out with her garden, though he rarely said anything. Andy had done his best to get James to talk to him, but James wasn't interested.

"Hey, guys..."

Sparks had come into the room. James had no idea how long he'd been standing there, but judging by the uncomfortable look on his face, it had been a while.

"Andy was wondering if you guys wanted anything from the city. He and I are going on a supply run."

James shook his head. "I'm good."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 23 January 2017 at 8:48 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"Hey, uh..." Willow trailed off, unsure if she should ask or not. She shook off her hesitation.

"Do you think we could drop by Vladan's mansion? I would like to check on some things..."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 23 January 2017 at 9:39 PM

Sparks raised an eyebrow.

"How are you expecting to get in there? There's bound to be plenty of security around that place. They'll probably try and snag any of his cronies that try and show up..."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 24 January 2017 at 12:21 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"Right." Willow said thoughtfully. She shrugged. "I'm sure we'll be fine as long as nobody is camped around the corner. If there are, we would be able to see them. I think..." The woman hesitated.

"There's only one gate and his animals have probably kept good watch around his front yard.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 24 January 2017 at 1:29 AM

"We can definitely have a look. I'm sure Andy won't mind. He's been antsy since this whole law passed... He doesn't do well with having nothing to do." he said, smiling. "You coming, James?"

"No. I'm going to stay here and help Coco outside. She was saying she had some plants that were under quarantine for some plant disease and she wanted me to have a look."

"Okay." he said, then turned to Willow. "We leave in ten."

Kita sat in the corner of her room, still trembling. Mr. Lee opened the door and she looked up.

"P-please... I need Verity..."

"Verity will not be coming here for two more days."

"P-please... Can you just b-bring her down here?"

"I'm sorry, Miss Altobelli. She will arrive in two days for you next assignment."

"I can't w-wait until then."

"You don't have a choice, Miss Altobelli. It is time for a health check." he said as a doctor entered the room.

He watched Kita as the doctor checked her heartbeat, breathing, weight, blood pressure... She was not nearly as thin as she had been when she'd arrived, but she certainly didn't look as though she was in good health.

When the doctor was finished, the two left the room. The doctor turned to Mr. Lee, offering him the clipboard he had been writing on.

"It was as you had guessed... She is exhibiting classic symptoms of withdrawal..." he said.

Mr. Lee smiled. With Vietkov or not, this one could be controlled.

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 24 January 2017 at 1:46 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"I pity them almost." The soldier said to his partner. The sun was beginning it's descent on the horizon. "Do you ever think that maybe they don't deserve to be treated like this?""

The other man scoffed. "You're getting ahead of yourself. Have you seen Veitkov? Even he has been ousted to be one of those monsters. And the fact that he's taken the lives of several staff already."

"If you really think about it, maybe he's just acting like the trapped animal he is. How would you feel if you were locked away for days at a time?"

The other man hesitated. "I suppose you-" He was cut off when he felt a cloth being held to his mouth. Darkness fell.

--

"Now what?" The thin girl hissed to Teiv and Dawn.

"We get in grab Vladan and get out?" Dawn said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Shhh." Teiv's mask muffled the noise, and he motioned down the hall.

"One, cloak us quickly. There's people coming."

The small girl complied, shielding them as several soldiers ran past them down the hall. She held her breath when one of them brushed against her arm, but the man seemed too preoccupied to notice.

"I'm starting to think this is a bad idea, Dawn..." The girl whispered as the latter woman led the both Teiv and One down the hall. "Two is going to lose her crap if she finds out what I'm doing."

"Once we figure out where he is, it'll be easy from there." Dawn whispered. She carefully turned the corner, accidentally bumping into a soldier.

The man's eyes widened as Dawn's invisibility cloak shimmered, and the woman sent a kick at the soldier's jaw. His partner suffered the same fate.

"I thought this was a stealth mission." One hissed as her cloak covered Dawn once more.

---

A soldier ran down the hallway, before stopping in front of Mr. Lee. "We have intruders sir..." The man trailed off, right as the intercom blared the same message. "We can't see them. There's at least one, and she has some sort of cloaking ability."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 24 January 2017 at 2:00 AM

Mr. Lee smiled. It was time to test if his theory was correct. He reopened Kita's door.

"Miss Altobelli... I will make a deal with you. There are intruders in this building who cannot be seen. I believe that your abilities will be quite useful... If you can find them and either capture them or get them out, I will allow you to meet with Verity."

Kita didn't even take a moment to weigh her options. The crushing weight of her guilt was too much... She needed an escape, and she could not wait two days for it... She stood and walked over.

"Yes... sir." she said, too desperate to bother feeling humiliated.

"Good girl."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 24 January 2017 at 2:10 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"Dawn..." One said warningly. The blonde had wrestled a soldier to the ground, and was currently interrogating him between punches.

"Where's Vladan?" Dawn asked.

"I don't know." The man said, clearly fearing for his own life.

"How do you not know?" She said between profanities.

"We kept him in holding room #001. He was one of the first we captured."

"And where is that?" Dawn asked threateningly. One tugged at the blonde woman's wrist at the sound of footsteps down the hall.

"There's people coming, we got to go."

Dawn knocked the soldier out, before grabbing One and heading down the hall. The small girl tugged at Teiv'a sleeve, and she held her breath out of fear when the soldiers ran into the room only seconds after the trio ran out.

"There." Teiv said quietly.

"Good one." Dawn said as they ran in the direction of the sign saying 'Holding Rooms'.

---

Vladan looked up from his papers as three soldiers entered the room. "What's going on?" He asked, irritated at being disturbed.

"None of your business." One of them said thinly. "Just precaution to have soldiers watching every Enabled when a problem like this occurs."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 24 January 2017 at 2:30 AM

Kita walked through the empty hallways. The soldiers had all moved to the cells to guard the prisoners. She could sense the energy of nearby enabled. They weren't far now...

She turned a corner to a seemingly empty hallway, but she could 'see' the three figures, walking away from where she stood. Perhaps they hadn't seen her.

She ran at them, reaching out her hand to mimic the one who seemed to be actively using their power... likely the one responsible for the cloaking. It would be easier to take on three of them if she could 'see' past their cloaking and they could not see past hers...

She thought for a moment that she recognized the energy. Something tugged at her memory, but she pushed it away. She could not hesitate here... She could not afford to fail...

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 24 January 2017 at 2:47 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

Teiv heard her before he even saw her coming. The pounding footsteps echoed loudly against the empty hallways, as the lot of the soldiers seemed to have moved to other parts of the building. No doubt they figured out it was a search and rescue mission.

His eyes widened when he recognized the figure, and he shoved One away from Kita's extended hand. "Go." He said hurriedly to Dawn and One. The man had stepped in front of the other two like a barrier, and let out a sharp grunt as he was pushed backwards from the force of Kita's body.

Teiv turned to face her fully, One's invisibility cloak dissolving as he released his grip on the smaller girl. His face was one of near indifference, almost as emotionless as the mask he wore.

He had stepped to the side to block the other two from Kita, and Teiv felt himself sliding back from the weight of the tackle.

---

Dawn pulled at One, as the two of them picked up their pace.

"We can't leave him here." One whispered as they darted down the hall. The blonde looked behind them, stopping suddenly when she realized it was Kita that had attacked Teiv.

"Wait-" She said, torn between following her original plan and doing what seemed easiest.

"We need to find Vladan." One said, pulling Dawn forwards.

"Right..." Dawn said suddenly as they continued down the hall. The two of them ran past several heavily locked doors, only slowing when they saw soldiers patrolling down the halls.

Holding Room 10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1.

Dawn stopped in front of room #001. She waited for a soldier to reach arms distance, before she released One and tackled the man into the wall.

"Open. The door." Dawn said, holding a knife up to the man's throat. He nodded his head slowly, pushing a short 4 digit code into the keypad.

The door opened.

There was nobody inside.

"Where is Vladan!?" Dawn screamed angrily at the man's face. She had reached her wit's end.

"He moved rooms three days ago." The soldier said quietly.

"Where is it?" She said, a bit quieter than the first question. The blonde felt One tugging at her wrist again, and Dawn realized that her screaming must have attracted unnecessary attention.

The woman knocked the soldier out with a swift punch in the jaw, before allowing the twin to lead her down the hall.

"Where are we going?" Dawn said in annoyance.

"I don't know."