The Enabled (Role-Play)

in Roleplaying

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 4 May 2017 at 2:37 PM

Verity sat down.

"James and Willow are visiting Kita..." she said. "Is something wrong?"

The back of the van opened. Kita blinked her eyes in disbelief.

Sunlight... When was the last time she had seen natural sunlight?

"Now remember... You're on your own, but we can still track you." Lee said coldly. "Retrieve Adara, but be wary. She is not to be underestimated. Understood?"

"Of course."

She stepped out, stretching. The hotel was just down the street...

James didn't respond immediately, and avoided eye contact with him.

"We've been fine." he said simply. "How are they treating you?"

He had a million questions, most involving Kita, but he held them back. If Verity was to be believed, Vladan and Kita had been living a nightmare and a barrage of questions from someone who had the luxury of freedom would likely notbe welcomed...

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 7 May 2017 at 6:23 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"They're using you." Adara said, tilting her head smoothly to the side. "What do you suppose will happen once Kita is freed?" She asked with a thoughtful tap on her chin. "James would never let you walk away once he's seen what she's like..." The woman trailed off with a thin-lipped smile. "I'd hate to see what would happen to you if Kita herself came face to face with you."

---

Vladan looked away from James when he realized that the opposing man was avoiding his stormy gaze. "Not as badly as they did when it first began." He said bluntly. "It's been a lot quieter since the law was lifted." His fingers traced meaningless shapes into the thin blanket laying across his lap. "Solitary." He looked up now, giving a provocative glance in James's direction.

"A lot more lonely since Verity left me."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 7 May 2017 at 8:17 PM

Verity sighed. "I know... I know what James thinks of me... and he isn't wrong."

A pained look crossed her face.

"I did something horrible... under duress or not, it was awful... If James can't forgive me for that, I can understand that..." she said. "And Kita would be even more justified..."

Kita stepped into the hotel, glancing sideways at the mirrored walls. She pulled the baseball cap lower over her face.

Her hair was back to its original short length and had been lightened to a coppery blonde. She didn't like it, but they had insisted. They didn't want her to be recognized, now that she had become one of the faces of violent enabled...

She walked past the front desk, already knowing the room number. She did her best to look like she belonged.

Stepping into an elevator, she stretched her arms. Lately she'd been feeling a lot of tension in her right shoulder, but it was bearable.

The doors opened and she sighed.

"Well... let's get this over with..."

James sighed. "We're working on getting you guys out... all of you." He said. "We just need proof of wrongdoing... proof that the violence shown in that video wasn't just aggressive enabled..."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 8 May 2017 at 11:41 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"Hmm..." Adara hummed lightly under her breath. She closed her iridescent eyes momentarily, and when next they opened, she stood.

Kita was right around the corner.

"Well, then Verity." She said with a pursed lips. "You'd better watch your back, because somebody that isn't quite fond of you is right outside this door, and though she's here to get me, I doubt she'll give up this chance for a quick shot at you as well."

----

"There's no proof." Vladan said with a scoff. "You'd think they'd let any type of proof just lay around for you to pick up?" He said quietly. There was hesitation, and then he perked up as an idea came to mind. "Perhaps you can go back to the restaurant where it all began. They sure did give me quiet the beating outside before dragging me here. Maybe they have cameras outside that might have captured it on tape, and even so, it was months upon months ago, but if you can..."

"It's not much, but it certainly is a start."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 8 May 2017 at 12:54 PM

The door opened and Verity was shocked to see Kita there. Her appearance had changed slightly, but Verity had spent far to much time with her to be fooled... Kita herself had lost the blank look that she'd had when she had last seen her, replaced with a look of silient indifference, though the mask dropped briefly when she saw Verity.

"You...." she said quietly.

Kita closed the door behind herself, and before Verity could react, Kita was running straight at her. Verity jumped back, looking for a defensive weapon. She grabbed a television remote and threw it in Kita's direction. It hit her square in the face, causing her to flinch, leaving an opening for Verity to scramble farther away.

"Kita, I'm sorry! I didn't want to hurt you!"

Kita vaulted over the couch, gaining on Verity.

"I'm not interested in your apologies..."

Verity turned, realizing that she'd backed herself into a corner.

"Can't we just talk about this?"

"That is exactly what I intend to do..." she said coldly.

Kita grabbed Verity's wrist, and Verity tensed up. Suddenly, she felt herself relax, slumping to the floor. Kita pulled her hands behind her back and she felt something tighten around them... a ziptie? She looked up, dazed at Kita, who had turned back to Adara.

"Are you going to fight me, or are we just going to be civil about this?"

James looked thoughtful.

"It's a start." he said. "But it doesn't prove that it was what caused the violence..."

He pulled out a folder from his bag. He hadn't told Willow about this... she thought he was obsessed enough already...

"I've been looking through their publicly available documents... Prior to the release, they had 134 enabled here. According to the press release, there were 117 released, leaving 17 at the facility. Six of those remaining are deceased, meaning 11 enabled that were considered too dangerous to release."

He opened the folder, pulling out files.

"I've been able to find out more about seven of those, not including you and Kita. Five have no previous offenses. One is gang-affiliated, and the other has a restraining order and some stalking-related charges, but nothing violent. I would present this as evidence, but unfortunately it might make you and Kita's situation worse..."

"You both have a history of violence that is going to make it difficult to prove your innocence... You might have an easier time with your influence, but Kita was shown killing Andy on that video... and she has some pretty condemning priors..."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 8 May 2017 at 2:56 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

Adara leaned back into her chair thoughtfully. "I've never been much of a fighter." She said blankly. "I more so avoid situations that could harm me in the first place." The woman pointed at Verity with her right hand, before closing her bottom three fingers to make a hand-gun.

"If you go back to the facility...." She trailed off now, her brilliant eyes sparkling in the hotel room lighting. "You die, Kita." Adara moved her hand from Verity to Kita as she spoke.

"You will die there." The woman cupped her chin as she repeated her words. "Let's sit and talk about our situation why don't we." She added, almost as if mulling over some other options.

"It'll be nice to be able to be treated like a human being for the first time in a long while." Adara suggested, motioning to the overturned chair.

"I have seen the future, and it is dismal...." She looked Kita in the eyes, her gaze softening. "If you keep this up--running around and performing tricks like some circus monkey, even when you've been released, you'll be but a lion caged inside your mind."

---

"Take it up." Vladan said shortly. "Free the 5 with no previous offenses first." He said. "It's better than nothing, and after that's done with, you can look to help the rest of us." He shrugged. "And maybe once those five are released you could speak to them...and find out more."

"First hand witnesses are the best kind of evidence, James."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 8 May 2017 at 5:30 PM

Kita glared.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but I don't have a choice in the matter."

She touched the collar still around her neck.

"I stay, I die; I leave, I die." She said coldly. "I've tried fighting back. All I've got to show for it are scars, suffering, and blood on my hands."

She looked over at Verity, who had a dazed look on her face.

"You have five minutes to convince me that you have something to offer me. If not, I'm following through with my mission and taking you in."

James finally looked up, making eye contact.

"You do realize that in doing that, they'll look into the history of all 11 of you and it'll only give them more reason to keep you two..." he said. "And anyone else with a sordid past. And these guys will only tighten their grip on those of you who are left..."

He sighed. "Vladan, I might not be able to get you two out if I do this..."

As much as he was worried about Kita, he had also developed some sense of... maybe not friendship... but he was concerned for Vladan...

"What is that collar, Vladan?" He asked suddenly.

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 9 May 2017 at 12:09 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"I can give you freedom." Adara began. She stood now, venturing around the table, fingers sliding across the wooden surface. "My power--" The woman paused now, pointing at her multicolored eyes with her two pointer fingers.

"I know everything." She said, albeit a bit exaggeratedly. "I see whatever I want, whenever I want." Adara continued. "You'll never be captured again, with me by your side." She smiled gently, seductively almost. "The future is in my hands, Kita."

Adara grinned. "And that collar? Nothing I wouldn't be able to help you with."

---

"Tranquilizer." Vladan shrugged. "Everyone has shock collars, excluding me. Pain does not register for me, so I got a specialized one instead."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 9 May 2017 at 12:52 AM

Kita followed Adara with her eyes. She seemed to be weighing her options. Finally, she spoke.

"I don't trust anyone to not have ulterior motives. What is the ultimate plan here? And keep in mind that with her here..." She gestured towards Verity, who seemed to be recovering somewhat from having her own power used against her. "...I can verify anything you tell me... I don't for one second believe that you're here for my benefit, nor do I care."

Without Verity's constant influence, her mind had recovered somewhat, and the fear and guilt she had felt had turned to bitterness and anger. No one was going to control her again, and if Adara was willing to give her freedom, she would play along, but she was going to do so on her own terms...

"If you get this thing off me, I will help you. I only have two requests... First, I need to have a talk with Verity here before we leave..." Verity's eyes lit up with fear from the way she said it. "Second... That facility... I don't want to just shut it down... I want to destroy it."

James flinched at the thought of Kita wearing one of those...

"Vladan, I..." he said quietly. "Whatever I can do to get you guys out, I'll do it. Whatever your feelings are about me... I still don't know that you trust me... But you have my word that I will do everything in my power to get you out."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 11 May 2017 at 11:16 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"Life is a game." Adara said. "I play to win." She tapped her forehead, then gave Kita an unwavering smile. The woman ventured towards Kita, reaching into her pocket to pull out a thin needle. "I'm going to release you now." Adara warned, stepping closer.

She tinkered with the collar for a bit, sticking the needle in between one of the metal pieces. "I was paying more attention than I should have when they were creating these." Adara said with an arched brow. There was a sharp click, and the collar unlocked. She took it off Kita's neck, weighing it thoughtfully in her hands.

"Have at it with Verity." Adara said with a smile. "There are no rules here."

---

Vladan didn't bother giving James an audible reply. There was nothing to say, after all. He would save the thanks for when the opposing man actually kept his promise. Meanwhile, Willow continued to shift her weight back and forth as she spectated the two men's conversation.

"We should get going." She said quietly.

A sharp knock came from the other side of the door, almost as if to echo her suggestion. "Everything okay in there?" The guard inquired from the hall.

---

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 11 May 2017 at 2:17 PM

James stood up.

"Yeah, we're good." he called to the guard. "We were just leaving."

He sighed, running his hand through his hair as he picked up the folders. He hadn't had much sleep in the last few days, obsessively searching for anything that could help...

He just hoped that the twins had found something useful... They were supposed to meet at a fast food place not far from the prison in twenty minutes. With any luck, Willow and James' visit provided enough of a distraction for them to sneak around...

As soon as they were back outside the prison walls, James sighed.

"I don't like this... If Kita wasn't there, they're obviously planning something..."

His phone rang. It was Verity. He sighed, putting it on speakerphone. He needed to focus on driving.

"What is it, Verity?" He asked, not bothering to hide his annoyance.

"J-James..."

She was sobbing, obviously distressed. James glanced sideways at Willow. Something had happened...

"J-James, it's Kita..." she said. "She's been freed... and she's.... she's not okay, James... She's teamed up with an enabled named Adara... And I think.... I think they're going to hurt people..."

James was shocked. He needed to know more...

"We'll be right there..." He said, hanging up before she could protest.

"Willow... Can you call the twins and tell them to meet us at the hotel?"

His hands were shaking, his knuckles white as they gripped the steering wheel. Kita was free?

What was going on?

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 11 May 2017 at 2:28 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

The twins kept quietly to themselves inside the main room of the hotel. "What happened?" They both asked simultaneously when they caught sight of James and Willow.

---

Adara toyed with the shock collar as the vehicle cruised through the streets. "Vladan wanted me to do him a favor." She said, giving Kita a sideways glance. She let out a short huff, and pulled a tiny chip out of the collar. "Tracking device." Adara muttered, before tossing it out the open window.

"Don't you wonder where James is in all of this?" The woman asked. "Even behind a steel door Vladaqn manages to find a way to free you." She focused back on the road, waiting for the gate to slide aside before taking the vehicle up an all too familiar driveway.

"You want revenge, hm?" Adara inquired. "How about we give that Lee fellow everything he deserves." She said.

The gate to Vladan's mansion closed with a loud clang behind them.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 11 May 2017 at 4:15 PM

James walked over to Verity, who was shaking, a blanket wrapped around her. Her wrists were raw, apparently from a zip tie. He sat across from her as she explained what had happened... her conversation with Adara and then...

"S-she interrogated me... Asked me all kinds of questions about the facility... about what their plans were... about what we were doing to stop them... I..."

She broke down, sobbing.

"I knew my powers were awful... but I had no idea... I never want to use them again... I can't..."

Kita glanced sideways at Adara.

"James' heart is in the right place, but he's naive... He thinks everything can be solved with diplomacy... He didn't belong in a gang and he certainly doesn't belong in this war..." she said. "Vladan is smart... he knows where to move his chess pieces to get what he wants, but I'm still trying to figure out what piece I am in his game..."

She looked up at Vladan's mansion.

"So what are we doing here?"

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 22 June 2017 at 2:51 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"Giving you everything you didn't have back at the facility." Adara said. The woman pulled open the doors with a giant tug. "Allowing you more freedom than you've had in the past year." She slid in, pushing Odilia's excited head away from her. The lion spotted Kita now, prancing over to greet the other woman like a long lost friend.

"Making you human again."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 22 June 2017 at 2:29 PM

James was quiet throughout Verity's explanation. He gave no indication of what he was feeling and it was making Verity uncomfortable. Finally, he spoke.

"We need to get to Kita before she does anything crazy..." he said quietly. "She doesn't think straight when she's stressed, nevermind after all she's been through..."

"We can't let her undo all the work we've put into convincing the world that enabled aren't dangerous monsters out to get them." He added. "We need to stop her..."

Kita ran her fingers through the lion's fur, earning a grateful purr.

"I'm not interested in empty words. I'm on your side; you don't need to convince me." She said, holding up her scarred arm. "I'm not interested in fixing what's damaged. If I'm not human anymore, so be it."

"What I'm interested in knowing is how you intend to accomplish your objective and where I fit into this plan."

"Subject's tracking device has been found. She has escaped."

Lee sighed. The enabled known as Adara was more resourceful than they had anticipated... And now he had to face Greg.

"Very well... what is the status on our friend downstairs?"

The scientist on the other end hesitated.

"Subject is... resisting suggestion. We've managed to gain some control, but he still breaks free of it 63 percent of all attempts... he is not ready to be deployed."

Lee frowned. "Increase the intensity of your 'treatments'. I'm not interested in being kind, I'm interested in results. If Miss Altobelli is out, we must assume that we are a target and therefore, it is essential he be ready."

"Of course, sir... I-"

Lee hung up, rubbing his temple. This was not how things were intended to go, but perhaps this could work in his favour...

@bunnyshadow