The Enabled (Role-Play)

in Roleplaying

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 30 January 2017 at 4:22 PM

"Name's Maxine, but you can call me Coco." She said brightly.

"She's a friend." James said. She and a couple other people from our former gang have been giving us a place to stay."

He eyed Vladan's father. The man was every bit as intimidating as he expected.

"So that message you left us... 'Verity'... What does it mean?" He asked.

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 30 January 2017 at 5:34 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"More for me than for anything else." Vladan said arrogantly. "Verity is the drug that they've been giving Kita." He uncrossed his arms, pulling his feet off the table. "She has the power to make anyone tell the truth." Vladan leaned forwards now, face becoming more serious.

"I've had her test it on me. Gives off a particularly soothing sensation. Makes you feel exceptionally calm." Vladan pushed the files out of the way, scooting towards closer to the table. "I've spoken to her, she's been keeping me updated on the down low on what Lee has been up to."

Vladan glanced over at his father now. "I heard you have some beef with Kita."

"That girl deserves everything that comes her way." He replied nonchalantly.

"Right..." Vladan trailed off, before turning to face James, Coco and Willow. "How are you idiots going to get me out of that dump? It's been little over two months and nothing has happened."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 30 January 2017 at 6:01 PM

James glanced at Vladan's father. He felt a pang of anger when he heard what he had to say about Kita, but reminded himself that she occasionally did not give off a good first impression.

"Willow's been working her contacts and we have video footage of the mistreatment going on in there. Hopefully we can gain enough sympathy from the right people and get you all free without conflict..."

"About that..."

He turned to Coco.

"I've been talking with Dawn and we think that a more direct approach might be necessary at this point." She said calmly. "The diplomatic approach has gotten us nowhere so far, and our numbers will only get smaller the longer we wait."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 30 January 2017 at 7:37 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"I disagree with her." Vladan said, tilting his head to the side. "For once, I believe diplomacy is key. We're in a fragile situation, and if we break the ice now, who knows what it could bring."

"I say we release all the videos and..." He grinned now, his eyes flashing in the light. "Get me out of here."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 30 January 2017 at 8:45 PM

Coco looked at him disapprovingly, but James nodded.

"Coco, no one understands the risks of waiting more than I do, but we have to look at this from a wider perspective. Attacking the facility would only garner support for them and they can get away with far more."

"Do you think they're just going to let three hundred enabled go free based on an argument of human rights? If you show those tapes, they will still see Kita savagely attacking other enabled. Most will just get shipped off elsewhere under the pretence of 'protecting the population' or 'for their own safety."

James looked away. "We need to think about the bigger picture, Coco."

"You're just going to abandon Kita and Andrew like that? They trust you! How could you just betray them like that?"

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 30 January 2017 at 9:04 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

Vladan fiddled with a pen as James and Coco exchanged words. He glanced occasionally at Willow, who had remained silent throughout the entire conversation.

"Let's give up then." Vladan said bluntly.

At those words, the tears Willow had been holding back came spilling out. The woman placed her head in her arms, sobbing uncontrollably at how out of the hand the situation had become.

"You guys are all a mess." Greg said. "There's no helping any of you." The man sighed, looking disapprovingly at Vladan. "And look at what you've done. You've made the poor doctor cry." His words were echoed by Willow's sniffling.

Vladan glared at his father now, before returning to playing with the pen. He tugged at it, then snapped it in half angrily. "Human rights aren't real." He said. "Rights only exist for the rich or the privileged."

"Willow." Vladan said. "Stop crying. It's annoying."

"I'm so done with you and everything you do. Even when I'm trying to help you, you give me criticism." She was yelling now having stood up and got up to Vladan's face.

"Well." Vladan said standing to face her. "Please tell me how your crying is helping the situation."

"It might not be helping this situation but I have been going out every. Single. Day. Trying to talk to politicians, government officials and more to try to get you out of that stupid prison." She shoved him now. "You don't have to be a jerk all the time!" Willow cried out angrily.

Vladan lifted up a fist, ready to swing at Willow. He paused.

"I..." He trailed off, sighing. "I didn't mean it like that."

"Will you two sit down and look normal?" Greg said through grit teeth. "We don't want someone peeking in to see Doctor Zinciri bawling her eyes off and you ready to hit somebody."

"Okay." Vladan said, taking his seat as Willow moped over to hers.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 31 January 2017 at 12:16 AM

"Anything that we do is going to involve a loss for us." James said plainly. "It's just a matter of how great that loss will be."

"So you're going to sacrifice your own girlfriend's freedom then? Is that what you're saying?" Demanded Coco. "And how about Andy? He didn't ask for any of this."

"If you think that I'm happy about this, you're wrong." He said, looking her dead in the eye. "But it isn't about what we want, Maxine. If we initiate war right now, there are thousands, if not millions who will suffer for it."

"If we start a fight, they'll see us all as a threat. People who are just living their lives, wanting nothing more than to live peacefully and not harm anyone will be hunted down and labelled as a threat."

"So what? We let them push us around while you and baby face over there beg for mercy from anyone who will listen to you?"

"Whatever it takes, Maxine."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 1 February 2017 at 11:18 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"I think this is absolutely pointless. Has anybody been watching my animals? Is Odilia okay? Have my dogs been properly fed?" Vladan asked with pursed lips.

Willow drew circles on the table, choosing to ignore James and Coco's argument, Vladan's constant belittling and complaints, and Greg's narrowed eyes.

The shrill ringing of Willow's phone snapped her to attention. She picked it up, hesitating slightly as she put it against her ear. The masculine voice on the other end sent a sharp shiver down her spine. It demanded power, and respect, and spoke of untold secrets.

"I know you're out there Miss Zinciri."

"How did you get this number?" She asked, heart catching in her throat.

"We need your skills here, Zinciri. We know what you are. We know where to find you."

"W-why should I?"

"Enough questions. We'll tell you more when we see you. Trust me, Zinciri. It certainly will be worth your time. Both for you and for all Enabled."

There was a tone as the man hung up the phone. She placed the device on the table, wringing her hands anxiously as she thought hard on the call. Who could it be? Should she help them? Would it really be worth her time?

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 1 February 2017 at 1:12 PM

James stopped arguing with Coco when Willow's phone rang. She seemed as clueless as the rest of them as to who it was. Whoever it was, it seemed to throw her off.

"What was that about?" He asked, noting how nervous she looked.

Verity watched nervously as the ice-wielder was released into the training room, looking ready for a fight. He wasn't like most of the other prisoners... It seemed that he was trained in combat. Most of the others were just everyday people that had been pulled off of the street...

"What am I here for?" He demanded.

Verity looked over to Mr. Lee, who spoke calmly into the intercom.

"You are going to show me what you're capable of."

Verity looked away as Kita was brought into the room. That was, until the man spoke up.

"Kita?"

Verity could see the recognition on his face, and she had a sinking feeling in her chest. They knew each other...

Kita walked up to him, looking him over as if she was trying to make up her mind about something. They stood there for a moment, neither moving until the man moved in, wrapping his arms around her.

"Kita... I'm so glad you're-"

Without warning, Kita grabbed his arm. He cried out in pain and surprise as a layer of thick ice built up on his arm. He pushed her away.

"Kita! What the-"

She shot beams of ice at him, which he dodged, looking confused. He built up a wall of ice between them, trying to hold her off.

"Come on, Sis! This isn't you! Stop!"

Verity looked on, a look of concern on her face. Sis? Surely they weren't related... Their files would have shown that. But it was clear that they did know each other...

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 2 February 2017 at 11:21 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"I don't know..." Willow said hesitantly. She looked down at the phone as it vibrated noisily against the table. A text popped up on the phone and she glanced down at it wearily.

"You will be picked up outside your building after your meeting is over."

"I have somewhere to go after this." She glanced over at James. "Something urgent. They need my help..." The woman took a slight breathe in. "Would you like to.. come?" Willow asked James slowly.

Vladan pursed his lips. "I don't think so Willow. It's not safe. You wouldn't last a day in the facility."

"They said they would make it worth my time..." She trailed off.

"I think she should do it." Greg said plainly.

Vladan moved to protest, but shut his mouth with a sigh. "Whatever you do Willow, realize it's on you."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 2 February 2017 at 12:43 PM

"I'm certainly not letting you go alone." He said. "If you choose to go, then I will go too."

Coco crossed her arms. "I'm going to go home. We'll discuss this later."

She stood up, grabbing the fake business notes and walking out in a huff.

"Kita, what are you doing?!"

Andy was doing his best to keep up with Kita's attacks, but she was relentless. This was unlike any of her other bouts, Verity realized. She obviously had previous experience with this power... Her attacks, while wild, were impressive.

She was nearing her now 14.7 minute limit and her attacks were becoming more and more aggressive.

"Kita, STOP!!!"

He shot a blast of ice at her, hitting her square in the chest. He had obviously held back, but it still managed to send her flying, landing on the ground in an unmoving heap.

Verity's breath caught as he approached her still form. One of the soldiers asking Lee if they should move in, but he shook his head.

Andy knelt down next to her, brushing his fingers through her hair.

"You didn't deserve this, Sis..." he said quietly. "I've already lost enough family... I'm not going to lose you too... Don't let them make a monster out of y-"

He gasped as he felt a sharp pain in his torso. He looked down to see a spike of ice protruding from his abdomen. He let go of Kita, stumbling back as she got to her feet.

"What have they done to you?" He choked out.

She didn't answer as soldiers pulled her away. Was it his imagination, or was there a tear on her cheek? Everything was spinning. He could feel himself being lifted off the ground and placed gently on a stretcher. Everything was numb...

Mom... Dad... Xavior... I'm sorry...

The world faded to black.

Mr. Lee observed the scene, giving no hint of his inner thoughts. Verity was looking out, horrified.

"Verity, please go administer Miss Altobelli's reward."

Verity looked mortified, but nodded, leaving the room. When she left, he turned to one of the soldiers. "Bring him down to the lab downstairs. Have them revive him if they can, but let the records show that he is dead regardless."

"Sir?"

"He is still a powerful enabled and I don't want to lose any powerful assets, but as far as anyone knows, he is dead, understood?" He said. "This includes Verity. And please upload this tape somewhere the hackers can find it. Let them see this..."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 2 February 2017 at 4:02 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

The broken pen in Vladan's hands leaked ink all over his fingers. The dark liquid oozed out of the utensil and onto his skin. He wiped his hands on the table, eyes staring blankly at the marks on the table. The doors were opened roughly, and he glanced up to see the soldiers rushing over with the visors of their SWAT helmets pulled down.

"Time to go Veitkov." One of the men said, cuffing his wrists and shoving him forwards.

Vladan didn't fight it as he was led away.

---

"You two better get going." Greg said once the soldiers and Vladan have exited the room.

---

Willow nodded lightly at Greg, before giving James a pointed look. She weaved down the hallways once she was sure James was following, stopping only at the elevator. Once the lift took them to the first floor, she walked across the large main room, stepping outdoors through the glass sliding doors.

The man was right. A black car with tinted windows was parked a bit away, and almost immediately after she spotted it, the passenger's door was opened and a suited man with shades stepped out. He opened the back door, and Willow hesitantly stepped over.

"He's coming with me." She said thinly before getting in the car.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 2 February 2017 at 4:25 PM

James looked at the man, but he didn't seem to be opposed to it, so he climbed in after Willow. The man climbed back into the passenger's side and they drove off.

James glanced sideways at Willow, torn between curiosity and concern as they drove through the streets. He was beginning to question this decision...

Verity stepped into Kita's room. She was sitting on her bed with her back to the wall, staring off into the distance like she always did lately. Verity sat next to her on the bed.

"I knew him."

Verity was surprised when she spoke. There was no emotion behind her words. It was just a statement of fact.

"I killed him."

Again, there was no hint of anything in her voice, and Verity hesitated. She remembered when she had first met this girl... Broken as she was at the time, she was still a fiercely independent woman, who had fought her control... Now she felt like she was looking at a doll... A puppet...

Verity hugged the poor girl, sobbing into her shoulder and hating herself as she once again used the power that she had grown to despise.

She let go, looking at Kita, who hadn't even moved. She couldn't even tell the difference...

@bunnyshadow

Deleted • 5 February 2017 at 5:23 PM

Greetings, I am aaalien.
Here is my roleplay profile/description.

Name: Aaalien/Adrian
Sex: Female
Orientation: Heterosexual
Species: Tasma or other wolfkin
Pack: N/A
Pups: N/A
Personality: Adrian is loyal, but is also very territorial. She loves those close to her dearly and does not play around when it comes to family. She is known widely for being ruthless, and spares her victims with no mercy. A token of advice: Stay on her good side.

If you'd like to roleplay, comment on my PROFILE and FRIEND ME

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 11 February 2017 at 10:00 AM

@bunnyshadow I thought of a bit more to add~

"I am here to examine 421-95."

Verity looked up as the man entered. He was one of the doctors, holding a small case and followed by Mr. Lee.

"421-95?" She asked

"Yes." Said Mr. Lee, gesturing towards Kita. "And this is how you will address this subject from now on, Verity. Understood?"

Verity nodded, though she was horrified.

"421-95's skin is raw on the one arm. It would appear that she scratches her arm when stressed..." noted the doctor, checking Kita over. "She is still quite thin, but less so than when she came. Although she shows signs of fatigue that indicate that she is not getting enough sleep..."

Mr. Lee nodded. "Of course. We will keep that in mind. You may proceed."

Verity watched as the doctor opened his case, pulling out something that Verity could not quite see from where she was standing. The man approached Kita, seeming to be attaching something. She heard a click and the man stepped back.

She was wearing a collar.

Mr. Lee smiled, looking at Verity's stunned expression.

"What is that?" She asked.

"It is a new tool developed by the scientists here. We are testing it out on 421-95." He said. "It administers a shock or a sedative, depending on the situation... My hope is that if it works, it might eventually be useful in dealing with Mr. Vietkov... though of course his would merely contain the sedative, as pain is not a motivating factor for him."

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 28 February 2017 at 9:18 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

All his pride had been burned by the physical and mental abuse that both the guards, his "friends", his father and the scientists at the facility had dealt him. Vladan had noticed that on the ride back to the facility, none of the soldiers seemed to have been even slightly motivated to put on their tinted helmets.

"You guys are no longer afraid of me."

He turned round to face the men in the back seat, noticing that only one of them flinched at his sudden movements. There was no reply from any of them, and he was surprised to hear the driver of the vehicle speak.

"You feed off our fear."

He scoffed now, leaning his heavy head against the darkened glass. Through the arrogant facade, and the broken bones he was still the monster he had built himself up to be. The car pulled to a stop, and he was shoved out of the vehicle and lead up the stairs like a disobedient animal.

The way his fists clenched, his teeth grit, and his head hung spoke volumes through the silence. He was still a monster, but no longer a monster that consumed and destroyed. He was a monster that was terrified for his future.

And monsters that were afraid were the most dangerous of them all.

---

The car ride was long to say the least.

Willow lost track of time, finding herself dozing off to sleep. Occasionally, a dip or a bump on the road shook her awake, but she attempted to catch some more sleep. She felt a bit selfish for tugging James into her mess, but the morning's events had taken their toll on her weak soul.

Finally the car halted, and the sound of doors opening and closing entered her ears. She forced herself awake, sitting up straight deliriously as she was helped out of the vehicle by a large, burly man in a suit.

"This way, Miss. Zinciri." The man said, placing a large hand on the small of her back as he led her down a rocky path.

In the distance she could make out a shape, and upon closer investigation, she recognized it as the familiar form of a private jet.

"W-where are we going?" She asked.

"Just inside."

Willow shakily made her way up the steps, turning only to check if James was still with her. The second she was inside the jet, she could make out two, then three, then more figures. All covered in blankets. If she didn't know any better, she would have thought them dead.

"What is this?"

The man nodded her forwards, and Willow knelt down besides the bed of the first.

"During one of our top secret meetings, an Enabled infiltrated and poisoned several of our most powerful leaders in this country. None of our doctors have ever heard of or seen anything like this. The Enabled had some sort of disease-related ability, something that had to do with infecting people with some skin destroying, organ deteriorating illness."

It dawned on Willow now, and she pulled back the blanket. She nearly jumped as the sick man let out a wheezing cough. "You think I can heal them?" The blonde asked, shocked.

"We know you can."

Willow caught a glance at the patient's arm, and the sight of it nearly made her sick. The skin was tinted with a green hue, and the veins were pulsing with a black liquid underneath the surface. Gray spots dotted the skin, and she could see blood clotting in several areas. The woman pulled the blanket back in place, before turning to the burly man with a fiery anger that had not been there before.

"And why should I?" She asked suddenly. The man seemed surprised, reaching for the handgun by his belt in defense. Willow cocked her head to the side, her tone reaching near frigid temperature. "Don't threaten me. I'm not afraid."

The man moved his arms back to his side, and he paced the length of the jet in panic. "Miss Zinciri, you must." He said, almost desperately. "Without these men and woman, our entire government could fall rampant."

"I couldn't care less about the government. Why should I if it doesn't protect the very people I think so much of from harm. Why should I do so much for the government that does not protect even me?"

It dawned on the man now, and her words seemed to strike a cord within him.

"I'll gladly save all these men and woman." Willow said, forcing the man to keep her blue-eyed gaze. "If you take back the law that segregates us Enabled from those that aren't." She paused, then continued. "I'll willingly give my life away to rescue everyone on this jet if you can promise that all Enabled deemed safe, sane and not dangerous can be freed from your facilities."

The man fiddled at his fingers, and then he sighed. "I can't make any promises, Zinciri. But I can try my best."

"I don't want your best." Willow said, lips tightening into a thin line. "I want you to swear it will happen."

He paused, glanced around the jet, then finally spoke.

"I swear on my life it will happen, Zinciri."

She nodded now, then turned towards James, which she had nearly forgotten about during the entire exchange. "Let's get started." She suggested, glancing at the nearest patient. "Their time is already running out... You see what you can do with your healing abilities. If you can do anything at all... give them more time even so I can get to them."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 1 March 2017 at 1:26 AM

James nodded, immediately moving to one of the sheets. He pulled it back and saw a middle-aged woman with the exact same symptoms.

He placed his hands on her chest, seeking out the source of the disease. It took some time initially, but he eventually found it.

"It's originating in the heart... Whatever it is has attached to the heart and is using it to pump the disease through the blood..." He told Willow. "I can kill the source of the disease from the outside if you can do something to filter it out of the blood... that way you don't have to make contact with the heart itself... I know you aren't fond of that... After that, we can both..."

He stopped himself. He had been a med student prior to being arrested, but Willow was a full-fledged doctor... she was the one with the most authority, and was therefore the one to call the shots, not him...

"I'm sorry..." he said, beginning to work on the patient in front of him.

Andy woke to intense pain in his abdomen. Opening his eyes, he could barely make out two forms moving around him, frantically. Everything was hazy and dreamlike....

He tried to move, but he was immediately pushed down.

"Don't move... We're trying to patch you up."

The world was coming into focus now. The two forms were a young man and an older woman, who had their hands on his chest and abdomen.

Enabled healers... he realized.

He slowly remembered what was happening... he had been captured... they had examined him... he had been forced to fight Kita... Kita had...

"His heart rate is increasing." The woman told the young man, who nodded and closed his eyes. Andy immediately felt sluggish, his heart rate slowing involuntarily.

"How is he?"

There was a voice from a part of the room he could not see.

"He is stable, sir. We are just finishing up..." said the woman as the boy avoided eye contact with whoever was speaking.

"Excellent... I have some questions for him..."

He felt fingertips brush his temple as a feeling of calm overcame him.

"How do you know Miss Altobelli?"

"She was my little brother's best friend..." he said easily. "And she was a member of the same gang..."

"Where is your brother?"

"He died two years ago."

The man was within eyeshot now... it was the man in charge of this place...

"How was your relationship with Miss Altobelli, prior to today?"

"I think she trusted me... she would tell me things that she didn't tell the others... I think it's because I remind her of my brother..."

"What kind of things did she tell you?"

"That she was afraid that she was too weak... that she felt that she deserved her scars... that she was afraid of her feelings towards Vietkov because she felt that she was betraying James..."

"Her boyfriend, yes? Is he enabled?"

"His power is biological manipulation... he can control any biological material... He's one of the strongest Enabled that I've seen, but he refuses to use his powers for anything but healing."

The man raised his eyebrow.

"How might I find him?"

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 1 March 2017 at 11:40 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"No, no no..." Willow said. "You don't have to apologize." She said with a thin lipped smile. "I value an opinion of a friend more than even my own sometimes." She had placed her hand on the arm of the patient besides her, and the skin felt dry and even scaly to the touch.

The man had placed a tray of surgical tools on the bench a couple of feet away, and Willow pursed her lips as she contemplated this newfound information. "I don't think I can filter out the blood if the virus is wrapped around the very organ that is pumping blood." She picked up a scalpel, examining the sharp edges thoughtfully. "We have to cut them open."

Willow stepped over towards James, standing over the comatose woman with little to no hesitation. "Heart surgery is very dangerous. One mistake and we could kill them for the disease..." She trailed off, glancing up at James with questioning eyes. "Could you make sure that she is breathing and functioning while I work? And..." Willow paused. "Maybe tranquilize them. I'm unsure if they can feel any pain at this point. I'll get rid of whatever it is, and you can patch them up afterwards."

The woman made a clean cut over the patient's chest, and she winced at the sight of it. It was different from anything she had ever seen. The inside of her body looked nearly as bad as the outside, with the blood oozing like a dark slime. It took a moment, but she caught sight of the heart. The organ was pumping, like it was meant to do, but it was at a much faster rate than healthy, probably due to the fact that it had a weird black layer wrapped around it's surface. Tendrils clasped around the heart like fingers around a stone and she turned to face James in mild shock.

At a loss for words, she turned back to the patient. Holding her breath, she gently placed her hand on the heart. The familiar sight of her power gave her comfort, and for a moment she was afraid that it wouldn't work. Willow watched as the heart seemingly consumed the white tendrils, and then let out a sigh of relief as the black began fading to a slate gray.

She focused harder now, and noticed that the organ's quick pumping had slowed down to a more reasonable rate. Willow nearly wrenched her hand back when the gray thing fell off the heart and onto her hands. Swiftly, she pulled away and dropped it on the tray. Whatever it was, was both feeding off of and destroying the host.

"That makes one." She said, leaning back momentarily against the wall of the jet. Willow let out a shaky breath. It had taken much more work than she had expected, and she wiped the dark blood onto her pants.

"We can do the same for the next one or two... but there has to be an easier way. I don't think I can keep this up in this little time."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 1 March 2017 at 12:38 PM

James closed up the wound, watching as the woman's skin slowly returned to normal.

"We'll work faster if we work seperately, but it's risky..." he said. "If something goes wrong, it will be difficult to back the other up..."

He looked up. There were seven patients, with six remaining now that they'd healed the first, which meant three each if they worked seperately... They could get it done in less than an hour, unless something went wrong...

They could continue working together, which would be safer, but it would take much longer.

"It's up to you..."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 15 March 2017 at 11:37 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"We'll work separately. If we take too long, we'll probably lose one by disease anyway. It's a risk I'm willing to take." She glanced around the plane momentarily, eyes narrowed as she examined her new patients. "Start with that one, then the two by the windows." Willow motioned in their direction, before pulling the top of the sheet off the man besides her.

"I'll do this one." She said. "If we lose the other two... then it's just an unlucky mistake." Willow glanced over at James, voice cold and unnerving.

"They weren't good people anyway." She said. "I see their malintent through the disease eating their flesh."

---

The harsh knocking on the metal door echoed through his room. He turned over on his bed so that his back faced away from the entrance. Vladan heard somebody come in.

"It's time for your training, Veitkov."

Vladan pulled the thin blanket tighter around his body, unjumbling his thoughts as he struggled to recognize what the soldier was talking about. He was silent for several minutes, then...

"I don't want to play fight today."

Vladan could hear the soldier shuffling slightly, unsure what to do now that Vladan was being difficult. "I will use force if necessary." He could hear the uncertainty in the soldier's voice.

"Okay." Vladan said blankly. He heard the other man's footsteps as he stepped further into the room. Vladan could see the shadow over him as the soldier stopped besides the bed.

There were no more threats.

No more violence.

No more fighting and killing.

The soldier did not know what to do, considering how his job had mostly compromised of defending himself, holding back those that fought, and beating down those that kicked and screamed. Now that the soldier just had a young man, laying in his bed, curled up in an almost fetal position really, he was speechless. "I'll get in trouble if Mr. Lee finds out."

Vladan sat up, then turned to face the soldier. He recognized it as the one that dealt often with his annoying banging on the steel doors. "I have lost all my energy." Vladan admitted quietly. The young man didn't know why he had confessed to that, and why he felt so vulnerable in that moment. Perhaps it was because he was looking up at a man that towered over him, armed to the teeth with weapons. Or maybe it was the uniform that he had grown sick and tired of seeing throughout the past few months.

Was it the quiet words that meant no harm?

He was knocked out of his revelations when the soldier spoke again. "You can fight me today, if you would like."

Vladan pursed his lips now, tilting his head to the side in a confused manner. "Okay." He agreed amiably as he slid out of bed. "But you're asking for it." Vladan muttered as he allowed the soldier to lead him out of the room.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 15 March 2017 at 8:57 PM

Kita yelled as the collar around her neck shocked her, allowing her terrified opponent to slip free of her iron grip.

Verity cringed. Kita's movements and voice had ceased to appear human. When she wasn't silently staring blankly under the influence of Verity's power, she was mumbling to herself, or pacing her room like a caged animal. And when they brought her out to fight...

She watched as one of the guards grabbed her, and she swung at him, the catlike claws she had obtained in fighting the enabled prisoner drawing deep red lines across his face. He let go, holding his face and crying out in surprise and pain.

She was about to charge at him again, when she suddenly slowed, collapsing heavily on the ground. Verity looked over to see Mr. Lee with his thumb on the tranquilizer button of a small remote that controlled her collar.

"Excellent."

James began working on the first of the patients. He was not as skilled as Willow, but he wasn't a novice either...

He took a different approach, killing the core of the virus, slowly ripping it apart with his power, removing it piece by piece. There was no finesse to it, though he was thorough.

He wished that healing came as easily as destruction did... it was so easy to harm, and yet healing had taken several years of training... He was fighting against his own power every time he used it... Forcing it to do the opposite of what it seemed like it was meant to do...

He lost himself in the task, his hands moving instinctively as he worked. He repaired the flesh, filling in where the virus had been ripped from the man, leaving pale scars.

Did it hurt? He wasn't sure that he wanted to know...

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 16 March 2017 at 11:30 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

Vladan watched as the soldier put aside his weapons, then the armored vest he wore. The room was large, but Vladan still felt like he was suffocating. He had been in this room every day since he had fought Kita, and every time he stepped in, it felt like he was losing a little more of himself. Vladan watched as the soldier returned to his spot, leaving around a dozen feet between the both of them.

He made his first move, darting forward towards his opponent. Vladan sent a punch flying towards the man's face, nearly losing his balance when the soldier side stepped it. He regained his footing, then turned towards the soldier again.

There was stillness for a moment, then Vladan stepped forwards again, moving to elbow the soldier in the face, then sending his other arm around for a punch. He managed to hit the soldier both times, but let out a grunt as the soldier returned his fire with a hard hit in his shoulder.

The two stepped back to regain their composure, then moved forwards to continue their battle again.

---

Willow didn't say anything as she worked, but her thoughts spoke volumes. The patients were dying by the second. How much time did she have until the uncured become incurable? She closed up the wound of the first patient, stepping over to the second. Their condition was much worse than the ones that had already been healed, skin turning from it's pale tone to a muted gray, veins black behind their flesh. She cut open the patient, noticing that the man bled black. The woman placed her hand over the heart, focusing harshly on the virus surrounding the weak organ.

Was it getting harder to remove? Or was she just getting weak from work?

It didn't matter.

All she could do was focus now.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 16 March 2017 at 12:32 PM

James moved on to the next patient, who looked far worse than the last. He felt mentally drained, but he kept going.

The thing had a tight grip on the woman he was healing. He tore into it, ripping it out piece by piece, but it was stubbornly clinging to life.

Stubborn little thing... Just like Kita, or at least like she was before... if doing this could save her... He would do anything to correct his mistake of letting her go...

Finally, he managed to rip out the last piece of the thing. Before moving on, he glanced over at Willow. Was it just him, or was she paler than usual?

"How are you doing over there?"

Verity followed Mr. Lee, who was carrying a small disc given to him by one of the scientists in the training area. They went into his office and saw a man waiting there.

"I want this footage "leaked" onto the web, and I want no ties back to us." He said. "I've been informed that our little project is in danger of being shut down, but perhaps this will help us to keep at least some of our... subjects... The ones who are viewed as a threat..."

He slipped the disc into his computer, beckoning the man over. Verity watched as it played several fights by different prisoners here... each depicting violent attack, no doubt fuelled by threats of harm to them or their families...

Then it showed Vladan's first battle with the guards, leaving several dead, then flipped to Kita's battle with her ice wielding friend, and her killing him...

Verity looked away as it continued to play other enabled battles. She suddenly felt guilty. If they were planning to shut down, she might actually go free, but these people... No one, even the supporters of Enabled rights, would want them free...

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 16 March 2017 at 1:48 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"How much?" Willow said suddenly, sitting back from the second patient. She had nearly forgotten to close the wound, and she turned back to finish the job, before looking at James. "How much left?" She asked, pulling off her jacket and wiping the sweat from her brow. The woman pulled up the back of the shirt, motioning to the crimson number glowing feverently in the dim lighting. "One? Half a day? Three maybe?" The sun had begun setting over the horizon, and the plane's motion detection lights flickered on overhead. There was a burning in her back, like fire. The last time it hurt this much, she had but hours left.

"I think..." She trailed off, biting the bottom of her lip hesitantly. "I think I will take the last patient for myself." Willow muttered to James, glancing over her shoulder momentarily only to check that the suited man was out of earshot.

"I won't have time to find anyone else." She added. "Once we finish, no doubt that man will keep us under close supervision for the next day or two, maybe more."

"He's going to die anyway." Willow said, almost as if she needed more reasons to convince herself. "We wouldn't be able to save him regardless."

---

There was a loud clang as the doors to the training room were swung open. Vladan halted his brawling with the soldier, and he stared as a man in a doctor's uniform stepped in, followed by two soldiers. The young man arched a brow, puzzled at the sudden intrusion. He remained silent, no sarcastic words, arrogant statements, or confident remarks.

"Hold him back." The scientist said to the two soldiers behind him. Immediately, the men surged forwards and grabbed Vladan's arms tightly.

"What is this?" He asked, lips pursed in a small frown.

"A gift for you, Veitkov." The scientist said, holding up a collar.

"Excuse me?" Vladan said, incredulously. "I'm not wearing that." He continued with grit teeth.

"A prototype until we get the final model completed." The scientist replied blankly. He stepped forwards, unclasping the collar and moving towards Vladan. Vladan watched silently as the scientist was within arms distance. He glanced at the soldier had been fighting up until now, making eye contact.

That's inhumane..., The soldier was thinking, Vladan could read his thoughts clearly. No one deserves to be leashed or collared. Not even Enabled. They're humans too, aren't they? I have to do something about this. But what can I do? I have no power here. I'm just a soldier.

Vladan broke eye contact with the soldier--the other man's internal monologue did nothing to squash the dread building in his stomach.

"I'll do it when I take him back to his room."

Vladan turned, surprised at the soldier's sudden voice. The scientist turned to the soldier, then nodded and handed the collar over. "Very well then."

He felt himself being released, and Vladan glanced over at the soldier once the scientist and his two guards had left. For once, Vladan was speechless. Instead, he cocked his head questioningly to the side towards the soldier in a motion that screamed Why?.

There was no response as the soldier put on the gear he had taken off, and motioned for Vladan to move. "Let's head back to your room, Veitkov."

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 16 March 2017 at 2:33 PM

"Two." He said hesitantly, looking down at the last patient. It was true that he was very close to death. They might be able to save him, but it might just prove fruitless in the end.

While the thought made him uncomfortable, he nodded. He didn't like the idea of killing the man, but Willow needed to live... She was the only one among them with enough influence to sway the right people and save the Enabled without starting a war...

One sacrifice to save everyone... It was a no-brainer...

"Do what you need to do..."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 16 March 2017 at 3:01 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

Willow reached over, pulling the blanket off the last patient. She made a clean cut over the man's heart, poking her fingers through the gash once it was wide enough. The woman felt the organ twitching in her grasp, and she allowed the power to flow through her fingertips.

The virus twitched in confusion, almost as if it was surprised to see that the man was dying fast than expected. It took a minute, a long, long minute, for the man's breathing to finally slow to a stop.

"It's done." She said quietly as she glanced down at the malignant virus. It remained clinging onto the heart, and for a second, it expanded, and then it stilled along with all other of the patient's bodily functions.

Willow looked up at James, giving him a knowing look, before calling out to the suited man.

"We couldn't save the last one, but the rest will be fine."

---

Vladan entered his room, turning slightly to see the soldier following him in. There was a moment where the two stared each other down, black and white - enabled and human, soldier and inmate.

Then Vladan spoke. "Hand it over." He said thinly.

The soldier complied. "You..." The other man trailed off.

"I can do it myself." Vladan said, taking the collar from the soldier's hands. He turned away, the collar held tightly in his fist. "Thank you." He muttered quietly. The footsteps of the retreading soldier stopped for a moment, then continued as the man continued out the door.

A loud clang.

Silence as the door slammed shut.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 16 March 2017 at 5:47 PM

James placed his hand on the man, pulling the virus from him. It may have been too late for him, but they couldn't allow the virus to spread... He placed his hand over the wriggling thing and ripped it apart with his powers.

He crossed his arms, waiting for the man's response.

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 21 March 2017 at 11:19 AM

@dada_dragon

~~~

It had been one week since the meeting with Vladan, that resulted in the incident in the private airplane. Willow tugged at the ends of her hair, lips pursed as she paced her room impatiently. One entire week, and the man(which she had learned to be known as Mr. Runo) had done nothing to do what he had promised.

She left her assigned room, heading down the hall towards the man's office. Quietly, she pushed open the door, though stopped momentarily to knock, before stepping in. Mr. Runo sat behind his desk, filing papers, foot tapping unconsciously against the marble floor.

"I've given all surviving patients an entire week of recovery. James and I have made sure that all are in perfect health condition." She watched as he glanced up, and Willow kept his gaze.

"It's time for you to keep your promise."

---

They had only used the sedative in the collar twice on him since he had gotten it.

Today was the second.

Vladan dropped to his knees, breaths slowing heavily as he collapsed onto the floor. His vision blurred, and he spotted two guards standing over him.

Why was that deemed necessary?

The first time it had been used on him was as a "test run". This time was simply out of spite. For the past 5? 6? 7 days, he had done nothing but comply to orders out of both hopelessness and self-pity. Vladan hadn't heard from Willow since the day he had seen her, James, and the others in person. He wondered vaguely if she had simply just stopped trying, or just didn't bother.

---

"James." A man knocked on the healer's door. "Mr. Runo and Willow are awaiting your arrival." The man entered, then motioned for the other to follow him down the hall.

---

Once the two healers were within his quarters, Mr. Runo leaned back on his chair with a heavy sigh. Willow's fists clenched--she didn't like where and how this meeting was going.

"It's time for you to keep your promise." She repeated, voice thin from impeding anger.

"I can." Mr. Runo said. "Just not necessarily in the way that you want..." The man trailed off, turning his computer screen so that James and Willow could see it. On it were clips of enabled fighting and sometimes even killing.

She recognized one of them, Vladan.

The next, Kita.

"What do you mean?" She asked, breath catching in her throat.

"It means we can release anyone but the ones in these clips. All these videos have been released on the web, and they prove that certain enabled are incapable of being safe and harmless to be around."

Willow's nails dug into her palm.

"The Enabled are lucky to have had you fighting for them for all these months, and many owe you their thanks for their release. But I'm afraid that Veitkov and Altobelli do not have that privilege."

She could feel tears welling up behind her eyes, but she did her best to hold them back.

She failed when Mr. Runo continued to speak.

"The men and woman of whom you saved will have a meeting this afternoon--with the president, who is well aware of what you two have done for all of us. Tonight, the law on detainment of all Enabled will be revoked. You two are to appear alongside them as ambassadors...try your best not to ruin this chance."

---

Vladan felt himself being shoved into his room, and his mind groggily processed his surroundings as the small dose of sedative wore off. He stood, fell, then stood again. Taking slow steps, he went into the bathroom, where he splashed his face with the freezing cold water. Something white and small caught his eye, and he snatched it up from it's place behind the faucet.

A note.

Almost free. - See you Soon, Dawn

Vladan crumbled up the note, letting out the breath he had been holding only after he had flushed it down the toilet.

"I hope so." He whispered.

Female
4,327 posts

dada_dragon • 21 March 2017 at 12:46 PM

James' heart stopped.

Willow and Runo were still talking, but he couldn't hear anything. The clip of Kita... it couldn't be possible...

He pulled out his phone. Crude though his burner phone was, it still had internet... he pulled up the video himself, skipping ahead to Kita's clip.

She was fighting another man... her movements were so wild... it was absolutely frightening... And the other man... there was no doubt it was Andy...

He watched as she slowly approached him. He obviously didn't see her as a theat. Why would he? She had been close with Xavior's whole family, and Andy had always seen her as a little sister.

He saw the ice spike piece his torso, but he didn't want to believe it. How could he? Surely this was a trick! It couldn't be true! Surely...

His head was spinning... Andy couldn't be dead. Kita couldn't have killed him. It was impossible. It was a lie.

"Miss Verity?"

Verity looked up. One of the guards was standing at the door, along with...

"Justice!!!!"

She ran towards her younger brother, tearfully wrapping her arms around him. He hugged her tight, equally glad to see his sister.

"I missed you lots." He said cheerfully.

She smiled, brushing aside a tear. "I missed you too, buddy."

"You and your brother are free to go."

She stopped. The words seemed impossible.

"I beg your pardon?"

"The law regarding Enabled has been repealed. You are free to go." He said. "A car will be provided for you in two hour's time, which should give you time to pack up your belongings."

She nodded slowly as he left. It all seemed surreal... But then she remembered the tape back at Mr. Lee's office... Kita and Vladan...

"Are we almost there?"

Verity turned back to Justice, who was pulling a large, wheeled suitcase behind him.

"I just need to make one quick stop before we leave." She said, stopping outside of Vladan's room. He only had one very lazy guard at this point... she felt really bad for Vladan. He seemed to have lost hope of escaping.

"Wait here, I'll just be a minute."

The guard let her in, and she heard Justice counting up the 60 seconds, Holding her to her "just a minute" promise.

"Vladan?"

She heard the toilet flush, and waited until he came out.

"Vladan I... they're letting me go..." she said quietly. "They've repealed the law about Enabled, but those seen as dangerous are going to have to stay..."

She felt incredibly guilty, knowing Vladan would not be one of the lucky ones.

"I was wondering... how can I get in contact with..." she tried to choke it out. "I want to talk with Kita's boyfriend... she would often talk about him while I was... interrogating her... I want to apologize... for everything."

@bunnyshadow

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 21 March 2017 at 1:27 PM

@dada_dragon

~~~

"What are you talking about?" Vladan asked thinly. He stepped over to the bed, sitting down stiffly on the edge of the hard mattress. "She can talk to him herself when we're all out of here." He added blankly.

Looking up, he caught her gaze, and through it all he could see the guilty thoughts blurring his vision. "Lucky ones?" Vladan said suddenly.

Her words sank in now.

The dangerous ones have to stay.

There was red now, and the heat flowed through his back, consuming his entire body. Anger as he understood what was happening to him and what was going to happen. Vladan fiddled with the collar, mind racing as he made his decision.

They're letting me go.

How could they let her go? They would let Verity go after she had broken Kita? Broken so many others? This woman was simply being let go because she was too weak to fight, and all she did was obey?

He pulled off the collar. It was a prototype after all, and because he had put it on, he also knew how to take it off. His temper flared, and he stood up shakily, eyes giving off the wild look that had left him for two weeks already.

"You're going to stay here as long as I am." He said roughly, tossing the collar angrily against the wall as he lunged at Verity.

---

"There has to be something we can do." Willow said, frustrated. The tears flowed freely now as she pulled at her shirt angrily.

"Please." She whispered, freezing in her spot as she turned to face the man. "Anything."

"There's nothing I can do." Runo said flatly. "Willow, James. We all appreciate everything you've done in the past week, but this is the best we can afford." He paused, sighing. "We can't release Altobelli or Veitkov without having to release all the others."