Adopt rather than delete

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Female
574 posts

iia • 17 January 2020 at 2:24 PM

Eggcave has lost too many valuable creatures through people deleting their coves when they quit without giving/trading it away. I think that when I cove is deleted the creatures should go to the adoption center rather than being deleted with the cove. Rare creatures could become extincted in the future if we aren't careful!!!\

What are your thoughts? Who agrees?
@ian @eschla @prairie @stevepat2002 @bockbock

Please ping friends and get their opinions!

Female
2,153 posts

prairie • 17 January 2020 at 4:05 PM

@iia
I do agree that it is a big shame that the creatures of accounts who decide to quit and delete or get banned and thus, deleted.
However I don't think putting these creatures into the adoption center is a good idea. I say that because currently if I dumped 5 creatures of high value into the adoption center - the first person to come across them can adopt every single one. (This happened when user glados quit, people stalked the adoption center)

I think if the creatures where to be dumped in the adoption center - it might have to be separated (by CSP or Cave/Events) or limited in a way (like how many you can adopt in a week/month or maybe the adoption center only opens at certain points).
That or an entirely different system would have to be made. Maybe higher value creatures (or non monthly/cave/seasonal creatures) would go into a "mystery box" in the VEND - the more tokens it cost's, the rarer (population wise perhaps) it costs. (I say population wise and not value/popularity because it'd make it harder to figure out what creature prize you'd get - like if you chose the highest teir - you have a very small chance of rolling a doovoo/macbot rather than having a roll consisting of mostly tine/onny/gobbler/macbot/doovoo)

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 17 January 2020 at 5:06 PM

@iia

I would love to get some rarer creatures, but I'm not a big fan of this idea. Creatures deleted means lower population of the species. prices and demand will increase. Plus @prairie some people don't do quests. Rolling these rare creatures may get the attention of many, but others that get tokens slowly may not like it so much. Like I have no idea what I just ranted on about, but like if we could get these rare creatures by luck, there's not really a point in trading.

Female
2,022 posts

budgie • 17 January 2020 at 5:32 PM

@prairie Maybe the release of creatures in the adoption center could be staggered so that there's only ever one/two in at a time? Im also a fan with the idea for hours of operation for the center, though it might not be fair to people living in different time zones/sleep schedules who only get on to play in the later hours

Not too sure about the questing mystery boxes. I like that Eggcave is working on it, but as it stands I find questing to be really boring and really expensive to deal with, especially if the items arent in the normal shops and you need to surf the usershops for them

Female
2,153 posts

prairie • 17 January 2020 at 6:27 PM

@budgie - I'm thinking that times would be staggered for different players (that way people don't go to the forms and are all: ADOPTION CENTERS OPEN YALL) The staggering might take into account the hours which the player is most active. It can open anytime within that range at any point every 2-3 days or something.
For EX:
If I'm active on Eggcave - I usually get on 10am ECT - 12am ECT kinda with a break midday most times. So the time range that might be for me is 9am ECT - 1:30pm ECT or 5pm -12am ECT. There might need to be a algorithm made that calculates when what users are on when)

I get your point with the whole questing thing. But the point of questing is to put species back into circulation - not to give everyone what they want as they please. It is made to encourage trading. While foos are a popular species - there are still some in the TC. So this gives people the chance to trade for them. I get that values might be high, but it isn't meant to knock values down to a super affordable price - it's meant to get the species circulating again. I don't do much questing myself as I don't have the time or the funds to help. But hey, I'm happy that I have the chance to try trading for the species I want. (also @darkmoare this might be a point I'd make to you too maybe)

As far as the "if we could get these rare creatures by luck, there's not really a point in trading" I think that isn't a super valid point - as like you said - some people don't do quests. Thus they trade those who do participate in questing. Also - I believe @ian himself had said "Creatures were never meant to become extinct altogether or worth values of unobtainable amounts of EC or CC"

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 17 January 2020 at 6:57 PM

@prairie

wait, why don't they just add them for a limited time on the VEND instead of taking creatures from dead accounts? and how much time does it have to pass for an account to be deleted? What if someone just return one day and find there creatures gone?

Male
2,235 posts

beta • 17 January 2020 at 7:09 PM

@darkmoare I agree with what you said. Id keep my creatures if I left...

Female
2,153 posts

prairie • 17 January 2020 at 7:20 PM

@darkmoare
Accounts either have to be deleted by sending a ticket to the mods directly asking to have the account deleted
or if you broke the rules way too much (or if you try to sell/buy creatures for RL money) you get perma-banned and will have all your accounts deleted.

Male
682 posts

decay • 17 January 2020 at 8:36 PM

Maybe instead of an adoption center we create a new place like the Oasis where people can find old creatures from deleted accounts

Also, instead of the old creatures the way they were being reused maybe only a rebirthed nameless creature like if we found them in the cove?

Also, no one has addressed what we should do with CC creatures that are in these coves since Eggcave is not going to give them to us for free. Maybe a similar thing but we pay 500cc to get in?

Honestly, I don’t really like the vend idea because I feel like it’s a mechanic that needs some readjustment. Also, I feel like these mechanics aren’t too kind to newer users which I feel like Eggcave really needs since i’ve seen so many people quit out of frustration of not being able to get older creatures that they like.

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 17 January 2020 at 9:02 PM

@prairie

exactly, so those people who didn't send tickets or ask to be deleted just keeps their creatures right?

@decay
honestly, not to be harsh or anything, it's like that in the real world. There's stuff that's pretty rare in the world and not many people can afford. Perhaps only the rich can achieve their goal. So the solution to that issue is to work hard and achieve what seems impossible. Plus there's been many users out their willingly gave their creatures away as gifts. This boosts a newbie's chance in achieving something. I personally suggest grasping a deal before its gone. Like if someone was a good business person and can find benefiting deals. I believe that that person may achieve their dream even before someone that's been doing the same thing for a longer period of time. And the thing with paying cc, is that some people don't have that, and it maybe really hard for them to get some. This basically excludes newer users. But the vend is just a suggestion, quest items can be traded and are often cheaper than creatures. The reward is really based on luck though. Besides someone may have poor luck and never get the creature they truly desire. (by this point, I actually have no idea what I just typed)

Non-binary
1,318 posts

raccoon • 17 January 2020 at 9:42 PM

@iia

It's a nice idea, but I would be heartbroken/furious if I quit and came back one day to see my creatures gone. I don't think many people straight up delete their account when they quit, they just kind of leave. (With or without adopting out creatures.)

I do think a limit on how many creatures can be adopted from the adoption center at once would be a good thing. Have it like the cave, 1 creature every 20 minutes or so.

Male
682 posts

decay • 17 January 2020 at 9:55 PM

@darkmoare
I get that somewhat... but as someone who plays these games to get away from real life, it really kinda sucks to be reminded of the real life inequalities that are reflected by this game.

Additionally, the advantages that the rich have is a huge real life philosophical debate that I don’t want to get into here.

It’s easy to say that hard work is the solution to being successful here but when using the vend machine there’s people who have tried the vend machine 6-7 times to get Canige exclusively. They worked harder than most of us yet, they don’t really get the dreamie they want. I just think that the luck factor is too big here again it’s like something worth 50cc, 300cc 500cc and then 4k cc l think that’s a bit crazy and I don’t like it for that reason.

Also, the idea that people gifting helps the EC economy goes directly against the idea that hardwork is the key to becoming successful here.

Additionally, that idea again would leave new users at a disadvantage because they don’t know the community yet and that would essentially mean that we have a system that rewards people on their social skills which is honestly a weird thing to think about.

Also, Eggcave when releasing the vend creatures has said that they’re aren’t going to release CC creatures for free because they weren’t originally free.
While it would be great to get CC creatures free, they have already stated that they wouldn’t do that.

Lastly, CC is always available it wouldn’t exclude new users but users that don’t buy CC
Buying CC is kinda what keeps Eggcave afloat though so I feel like that’s not as bad as excluding new users in general it’s more of a necessary inconvenience
But I do feel like Eggcave should make a more solid way for non cc players to get CC

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 17 January 2020 at 10:08 PM

@decay

I see your point.
I mean non cc players can participate in the gobbler event, and Eggcave birthday. I think free cc is given out on that day. Honestly, I don't like the vend in general. I've been getting many messages from other people asking for different items. We can't always rely on others, we have to work on our own to get some items. Some people buy the items they seek from user shops. But again, the vend is based on luck. Like you said people may use the vend machine 6-7 times to get Canige. If they spent ec getting the items. People may have spent much more than the actual creature worth.

Female
2,153 posts

prairie • 17 January 2020 at 10:11 PM

@darkmoare
yeah those who don't send a ticket or get perma-banned don't loose their creatures or names.

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 17 January 2020 at 10:14 PM

@prairie

then what's the point of adopting than deleting? If no one asks to delete there account, then no creatures will be "given" out. (Sorry if I sound aggressive. I take debate in school, so it's sort of natural for me to attack this way 😋)

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 17 January 2020 at 10:17 PM

i agree with @decay a lot. i've been around on egg cave since only a handful of months after its creation and have taken a lot of breaks, but i must say, coming back now in 2020 its kind of shocking how hard it is to get old 2009/2010/2011 and even 2012 creatures. it's not that there's not an abundance of them, because according to the population chart, there are actually a lot of these old rare creatures. and its not about "working up to get them", because even if you work your way up theres no guarantee you'll get these old retired creatures, or even have a chance of seeing one UFT. a lot of them are sitting on accounts that haven't been logged into in years, and are fairly likely to not be logged into again. but, thats another tangent, although somewhat similar to the topic at hand.

anyway, i'm personally not a huge fan of the VEND system, not because i don't think old creatures should be rereleased, but because i dont like the questing system as it is now. it would be absolutely lovely for creatures from deleted accounts to be released somehow though. adoption center isnt a terrible idea, either set a limit (1 adoption allowed per day/week, no sides) or hold the creatures in escrow essentially, and stagger their release into the adoption center (similar to how neopets' pound system works)

Male
682 posts

decay • 17 January 2020 at 10:26 PM

@darkmoare

You bring up a good point!
How often do older accounts get deleted which contain rare creatures?

But also it’s good to maybe set up a system to return the creatures into the economy instead of making them more tedious to find

Also, I get your point about the vend 😋

Lastly, I feel like there just needs to be some more consistent ways to get CC though for people who collect creatures

Anyway, that’s getting off topic...

Sorry for being aggressive too xD I get too into debating

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 17 January 2020 at 10:27 PM

@pwuffy

I understand what you are saying, but honestly working hard enhances the chances. But adoption basically ruins the idea of trading for rare creatures. They are called "limited edition" for a reason

@decay
*sigh* finally came to a sort of agreement XD. I was about to write an essay on this XD

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 17 January 2020 at 10:34 PM

@darkmoare trading will still exist, its not like a handful of creatures being released to several different users will ruin the economy for these creatures. but as it is now, it is virtually impossible to acquire certain creatures (tine, onny, macbot, doovoo, to name a few) unless you know someone who has one and is quitting and gives it to you. even a few years ago, i never saw these creatures UFT. however, i can name multiple different accounts that have lied dormant for years that have these creatures *shrug*

its one thing to work hard to trade for a creature you really want. i've been through it, most everyone on this site has been through it. but at some point it becomes a little unfair (in my opinion) when theres some creatures that you have almost no chance of ever getting no matter how hard you work, simply because you'll probably never have a chance of ever seeing them UFT. i'm getting a bit off topic here but i hope what im saying at least makes sense 😋

1,478 posts

arcana • 17 January 2020 at 10:43 PM

See, the thing is, I highly doubt any creature will go extinct due to deleting. There are users who have Doovoos, the rarest retired obtainable creature on EggCave that are active, and there are plenty of older users that will likely never come back, but still have their creatures rot in their cove. Unless EggCave decides to delete inactive accounts, I doubt any creature is at risk. There are user(s? Is there another? I know there's one.) that have every creature on EggCave.
The VEND system does annoy me, but it isn't impossible to get creature you want from it. With such valuable creatures on there, it does make it a good way to get creatures into EggCave's economical system without major problems. My only problem is the unbalanced pools. If they were of the same rarity or value, I think it would be a lot better.
As for the adoption center deletion idea, I doubt that many rare creatures will even go there. From what I've seen, most people don't delete without giving away creatures, or if they don't, perhaps those creatures aren't wanted by many. Again, unless EggCave wants to delete inactive accounts, I don't really think it will go far. It could work out though.
As for the unfairness thing, it is unfair. If you're lucky, you'll get some creatures you want. But every creature will find a "forever" home eventually, even if it seems unfair to others. That's part of the re-release debate, and I feel too tired to write it all.

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 17 January 2020 at 10:43 PM

@pwuffy

I understand your point here. but what if these "dead" account users returned. They see all there creatures gone and they have a LoV. What would they think of the game?

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 17 January 2020 at 10:48 PM

@darkmoare yeah, i was admittedly getting a bit off topic when discussing "dead" accounts. not that i think dead accounts should necessarily be purged but i brought it up mostly because the argument that "you should just work your way up to get the creature you want" is not really a fair one in a lot of cases. either way i'm not against creatures from deleted accounts being put back into circulation 😊

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 17 January 2020 at 10:53 PM

@pwuffy

okay to back up my claim of: if "you should just work your way up to get the creature you want" . One of my cousins have been playing this game for almost 4 years. However they don't have as good as creatures as some people who has been for 4 month! And neither can purchase CC. So clearly, one person has poured more effort in than the other person.

I strongly disagree with the idea of taking creatures from other's people's old accounts and handing them off to other without their consent

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 17 January 2020 at 10:59 PM

@darkmoare so my point was that it is not NECESSARILY a game of effort. there are some creatures that are virtually unobtainable. no matter how hard you work. that doesn't apply to all LEs obviously, but there are a decent amount that it does apply to 😋

also, again, in my previous message, i said that i don't necessarily think dead accounts should be purged. i only said that i'm not opposed to DELETED accounts' creatures being put back into circulation. 😊

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 17 January 2020 at 11:02 PM

@pwuffy

okay, here's my question. If an account has been deleted. How exactly are you going to find out what creatures someone had?

Honestly that's why they call some creatures "limited edition", there's a limited number or time to receive such creatures. This usually means that creatures like those aren't likely to return. That's what makes them rare.

Female
1,237 posts

senkou • 18 January 2020 at 12:36 AM

Wow, this thread has really turned into a heated debate! 😋
I just want to have some input here saying that i actually agree with @iia, that deleted accounts should have their pets moved into the adoption center instead of being deleted along with the account. All these suggestions are great, but I doubt so much work would be done just for some deleted accounts, tbh. And though I do think its unfair how one user could adopt everything (including super rare creatures) if a user leaves, I honestly think that's better than them just being deleted altogether? I for one would prefer giving all my pets to one user instead of having all my hard work over the years (achieving all the pets) wasted. 😋

Also, I agree that some pets would go extinct/become 'virtually unobtainable' if this wasn't done. Eventually, everyone is going to quit, and if old users are the people who have all the old and rare pets (eg. doovoo), that means they've been on ec longer and may have gotten what they wanted from the site earlier and left. Knowing how much they're worth nowadays, they probably would keep them in their cove forever, even when they're inactive, so one day when everyone with that pet quits, they'll basically be extinct, as in that none of those pets would be able to circulate around the game since they are stuck in a cove/deleted (if you get what i mean..?)

So yeah I actually agree that this is a great idea. 😊 I've been wanting something like this is happen for a loong time now.

Female
574 posts

iia • 18 January 2020 at 7:24 AM

Wow... ok. 0.0
(What have I started?!?)

@prairie @budgie @darkmoare @decay
Since there seems to be debate about the adoption center being unfair what about the cave? Eggs/creatures could be stashed up and the cave could tlf Inter them through at random. Everybody visits the cave about the same amount of times a day. It could be more like a random pull of cards between the cave and the egg. Or it could be its own thing/page like the mysterious asteroid. Though that would require the most work on the creator’s part I feel it would be the most practical for EVERYBODY. 😊

I don’t like the idea of the cc creatures going back to the csp. If I spent thousands of cc getting a dream creature and somebody got it for a much smaller amount in the cash shop I would be tempted to feel that this was a totally unfair environment and quit. Think about it: we have the mysterious asteroid, the cave, the vend, the thief shop, etc are ALL based on luck and chance. It really gets annoying after a while.

@stevepat2002
Think of your cove as a collection of little crystals you have found and traded for over many years. Some are PRICELESS to you and others worth not so much. Some are RARE and others are quite common. Would you put them in a trash can and watch as they were smashed in the trash truck? This is what deleting your cove is to you and others.

@darkmoare
As @prairie said eggcave was never meant to have extinct or priceless and SUPER rare creatures. And as @decay pointed out - I also use this site somewhat as an escape from reality.
Also, when a person dies or moves far away they don’t just throw quay all their stuff that they aren’t taking. They sell what they can then give the rest away.
Probably only creatures being deleted after the program started could be saved.

Honestly, I think of the community before the eggs. THE TENSION THAT SUPER RARE CREATURES PUT ON THIS SITE ISN’T WORTH IT!!!

I have seen but one onny with a somewhat active owner on this sight and I KNOW for a fact they will never trade it because that was their top wishlist creature. They have achieved their wishlist.
I saw a forum post of somebody who was quitting and was stingy and wouldn’t give them up. They had 17 onnys. They were deleted.
It is time for this nonsense to stop!!!
Think of others! If you are just leaving your stuff in your cove and quitting everybody loses. If you give it away everybody wins because now if you do remember eggcave and come back you can at least have a shot at getting your creatures back.

(Facepalm) I have no idea what I’m saying. (Sigh)

I can see both sides of this argument. I understand how you may feel. But I have come to the conclusion that thinking of others is always the way to win. And the moment we blind ourselves to others we lose and others lose too.

~@iia

Gender Fluid
1,346 posts

kayuubii • 18 January 2020 at 8:16 AM

@iia
I totally agree with this, but so that nobody can take all the ones in the adoption center maybe limit us to 2 or 3 max adoptions per day so everyone can get a share. I don’t think it’s right that these beautiful creatures are deleted because their owner leaves ❤️

Male
2,235 posts

beta • 18 January 2020 at 8:54 AM

@iia I also think that account deletion happens much less than you think. Most of the time its jits they quit, and their creatures are there. I personally dont think putting all your valuable creatures in the AC is the best idea because what if you return one day? Also, you might want to make sure that person actually appreciates the creature as much as you do. Just stating my opinion

Female
574 posts

iia • 18 January 2020 at 9:09 AM

@stevepat2002
Whatever it takes to keep them in circulation! I see your point but They had the chance to give them away and find new owners for them. Who wouldn’t appreciate a dream creature!!!