Are y'all affected by coronavirus yet?

in Chit-Chat

Non-binary
248 posts

captaincookies • 11 March 2020 at 10:06 PM

My university just announced that it would be moving to online classes after spring break next week. A folk dancing festival I was going to go to in my area was cancelled. My boyfriend's grandma is in preventative quarantine, and 2 people in my hometown were diagnosed with it. Most of my friends' colleges are also moving online in the coming days.

I was wondering if you guys had been impacted in any way yet?

Female
6,833 posts

whitefall • 11 March 2020 at 10:09 PM

Pretty similar experience for me too. My classes are cancelled tomorrow and Friday, and we'll be switching to online lectures until the end of the semester. Larger events with guest speakers have been cancelled too.

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 11 March 2020 at 10:25 PM

Yeah a lot of schools are cancelling classes and moving to an online program. Mine just did that today.

Male
682 posts

decay • 11 March 2020 at 11:19 PM

My university is announcing the same thing. We’re moving to online classes but i’m unsure how my figure drawing class is gonna work....

Female
6,833 posts

whitefall • 11 March 2020 at 11:34 PM

@decay

I'm taking a clay class right now and I was wondering how we would manage to do projects at home. My teacher said he'll show us demonstrations online and we'll be working on pieces that don't need to be fired in the kiln. I brought home like 5 pounds of clay lol

Male
682 posts

decay • 12 March 2020 at 1:35 AM

@whitefall
Oh woah! First off that's such a cool class to take xD
What are you majoring in/ studying? 😋 Also, what year are you?

Thankfully most of my classes are like presentations so they're easily transferable to online 😋

I'm just gonna wait for my professor to email us to see what happens xD

2,892 posts

skymoare • 12 March 2020 at 1:18 PM

yeah, my school is canceled tomorrow. Going to have online classes now

Gender Fluid
1,346 posts

kayuubii • 12 March 2020 at 1:24 PM

Aargh am I the only one who still has to go to school? This isn’t fairrrrrrr XD

2,892 posts

skymoare • 12 March 2020 at 1:28 PM

@galaxyleopard

this is not really about fairness. COVID-19 is serious; not something to joke about. Although, if areas around your school has been affected, then it would be best to close. Besides, if you go to school like mine with tuition of thousands it's best to go or parents will start to complain, which is why I have online classes.

Female
6,833 posts

whitefall • 13 March 2020 at 12:53 AM

Are you all moving back to your permanent residence? I was thinking about staying on campus, but my parents want me to come home. My house is about a hour from campus, so looks like I'll be driving back & forth if I need to do something on campus. I have three semester-long project groups I'm in, so I'm curious to see if professors will change the assignments to be doable online. Campus is emmmmpty now

Female
9,796 posts

chapus • 13 March 2020 at 1:14 AM

@galaxyleopard My school is currently still open at the moment, but there are rumors it might close after our spring break.

@decay As an art student myself, I totally feel the struggle ToT

///

I haven't been affected personally by it (so far). My school is still open but might close, which I hope it will because our school houses 8000 students. I'm just a bit worried cause I'm supposed to graduate this semester, so idk what's gonna happen with that ToT. I also study 3D Animation so we rely heavily on computers, and some people in my class don't have good enough computers at home and thus rely on our computer labs at school. I'm lucky I have a good enough computer so I can work from home in the event that our school closes, but not many in my class will be that lucky :/ it's a necessary "evil" cause it'll stop more people from getting infected but it still sucks

Hopefully everyone is staying safe out there!!

Female
12 posts

leaffeathery • 13 March 2020 at 1:19 AM

My friend came back from vacation this Sunday (March 8th) and she’s came back to school this week, and I’ve been interacting with her, I’m not sure if she has it or not, but if she does, I’m afraid I would..

Non-binary
248 posts

captaincookies • 14 March 2020 at 5:24 PM

I was thinking about staying on campus, but I decided not to, since my parents’ house is an hour and 15 minutes away from my school. I would be living alone if I stayed, since my roommate is moving out as well, and in case of an emergency, I’d rather have someone to be able to take me to the hospital or something.

Female
3,800 posts

sparklefox • 14 March 2020 at 6:54 PM

As far as I know, my college classes haven't been cancelled yet, but I've heard that a lot of colleges and universities around the country are closing for who knows how long. It's only a matter of time until mine possibly follows them... which I'm actually getting pretty worried about.

My brother's school hasn't closed yet either, but there were apparently rumours (possibly false, but I don't know) going around about certain students having it. He's also told me that someone's parents have apparently been tested positive for it (this could be just a joke or another false rumour, though). I'm concerned over the thought of him catching it due to some health issues that he has, meaning that it can potentially effect him very badly.

...There's also next to no bread in the nearby stores.

Female
493 posts

pouncessoftly • 14 March 2020 at 7:24 PM

So far, the area of TX where I am does not have any cases within 100 miles or so - at least that’s what’s being reported, who knows the extent of testing being done. But the fear has hit hard in a lot of people. We went shopping today, and there was no facial tissues of any brand available. Luckily we got there as a shipment of TP and paper towels was being brought out though .. when we first arrived, the shelves were bare. Most dry and canned goods were sold out, bottled water was almost gone and slim choice on meat. Zero eggs. o.O

With creative buying (and cooking) I think we’ll be good for at least 10 days or so, I hope. Thankfully we’re all homebodies with Netflix, Amazon Prime, board games and a decent amount of books. I think we’re settled into the house pretty solidly except the needed dog walks 😸

Female
1,126 posts

valorieviolet • 14 March 2020 at 8:42 PM

This morning I woke up to a fb notification saying the concert I was supposed to go to on the 17th was cancelled :/ I knew it was going to happen, but I was still hoping that there was a slight chance it wouldn't. It was just a $10 cover show, so there's not too much of a loss for me not going.

Stores near me are cleared out of food, and of course tp and hand sanitizer. I know there's actually not a shortage of food and stores just need to time to restock, but it's still crazy to see. There's limits on pretty much everything at the major stores that do still have food, like tomato paste, canned milk, and mushroom soup. Super thankful there was no limit on Nutella though. YET.

Female
312 posts

snowkitties • 15 March 2020 at 5:57 AM

My school closed down until April 30th R.I.P. 😋

Male
108 posts

darkmoare • 15 March 2020 at 10:48 AM

@snowkitties

Oof. Mine's closed until June!

Deleted • 15 March 2020 at 9:12 PM

@galaxyleopard Yes I have the flu and can't even talk! I went to the ER they said I don't have it but I do have flu and ear affection

all schools are closed here.

Female
276 posts

wolfspike23 • 15 March 2020 at 9:41 PM

Our March break has been extended for 2 more weeks. It'll be boring though. No sports to watch (I'm into basketball) and I can't really go outside. I'm not taking any chances.

Female
6,833 posts

whitefall • 16 March 2020 at 3:10 AM

@darkmoare Wait closed closed? No online work? That's so long...

101 posts

subie • 16 March 2020 at 4:32 PM

School's closed indefinitely in my province starting today. Still waiting for a curriculum plan from my teachers, as I'm quite worried about some major world exams that I still need to write in May. Don't know when school plans to open back up, and I've been hearing rumours of it staying closed until September when the new school year is here.
I live in a smaller city and the only things that seem to be running out of stock constantly are face masks, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer. There's plenty of food and water in stock, thank goodness!

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 16 March 2020 at 8:29 PM

my university cancelled in-person classes mid-last week. our spring break got extended by a week and as far as everyone knows, after that all our classes will be online for the rest of the semester.

tonight was my last night at work as well for the next few weeks. my boss is closing the restaurant until the grade schools reopen. this situation is really terrible for everyone. i really just want life to go back to normal lol...

367 posts

kudo • 17 March 2020 at 9:21 AM

nothing's closed here yet, but people are mass buying toilet paper and going haywire with stocking up food ^^"

i've heard that a private school has closed down, but there's no word on public schools. for now, they're changing break times for students, but that's about it. i personally don’t know how to feel about schools closing down here because it’s such bad timing for yr 12’s and 11’s ^^” to be honest, i’m worried i won’t be able to graduate properly- if that’s not a dumb thing to think? sure there’s online classes, but i don’t think students like me will be able to study properly like that ^^”

ah, not gonna sugarcoat it, people in other places that are travelling and frequenting bars and such because they’re ‘immune’ are stupid. that’s all i can say about that ^^”

this is really serious, i hope people can come to their senses with both panic buying and travelling.

Female
269 posts

fire-and-spice • 17 March 2020 at 9:22 AM

@captaincookies Mine too. It's affected my friends all the way across the country so...

Non-binary
248 posts

captaincookies • 17 March 2020 at 10:58 AM

All of the restaurants are closed for dine in for 30 days in my state. All of my friends are home from college now, and the maximum amount of people allowed to gather in one place is 25 in my state.

Female
1,935 posts

mechanicalheart • 17 March 2020 at 1:11 PM

My school is closed for at least a few weeks along with all other schools as we just had a "state of emergency" announced. So pretty much most things are closing aside from fast food places (however they can only allow delivery or drive through) and pharmacies, things like that. Most stores have been sold out of a lot of foods like milk, bread and meat, etc and toilet paper is gone as well thanks to people panic buying (We actually haven't been able to even find toilet paper yet and we're running low on 3 roles left in a house of 8+ people).

So I guess I'm just watching the news and seeing how things change now and my moms trying to pick up a few things here or there so we don't run out.

Deleted • 17 March 2020 at 1:15 PM

the school here are now closed until April 6. I am not happy

Female
58 posts

galactic_pigeon • 17 March 2020 at 3:15 PM

Corona is in my town and when I went to the store I saw someone wearing a mask and coughing (big oof), also my school is closed down and has moved my classmates and I to an online course as well.

Female
1,575 posts

sorrow • 17 March 2020 at 3:23 PM

@topaz
Our first day back will be April 27th :0

Where i live we only have three cases, but they're all from parents who went to multiple schools for a robotics competition. So who knows how many people have it. I'm about 5 hours away from one of the very large hot spots so everyone is basically on lock down. Schools are out for 6 weeks, you're not supposed to leave unless you're going to work or the store (yikes, by the way.) Restaurants are take out or delivery only, retirement homes are on total lock down, all sorts of other stuff. people are panicking so over here is not very pretty.
it's a little bonkers.