Darker Secrets Hidden in Memories [ORIGINAL ROLEPLAY - signups]

in Roleplaying

Female
3,556 posts

pegasasu • 23 June 2020 at 7:51 PM

DO YOU LIKE ISEKAI MANGA??
Well... there's no truck-kun here, but somehow you're still in a strange new world!

It feels like you've been asleep for a long, long time and now you've finally woken up!

You remember having a dream... You can remember the joys and the sorrows and the vivid emotions from a life that wasn't quite yours. Who are you now? Where are you? What sort of world are you in now?

Looking around, you're in bed, an unfamiliar ceiling above you. Or maybe it's a familiar view of the clear blue skies with grass rustling underneath you. Or even it's a chilly night sky that fills you with tears as you stare up at a moon you saw in your past life. Either way, you're not sure why you're here. Maybe you desperately want to figure it out... Maybe you're satisfied with your current position in the new world.

But the residents find it strange. Suddenly their loved ones have an entirely new personality. The royal court is now filled with people capable of strange new policies. All of a sudden, an experienced fighter or mage doesn't know how to use their most basic skills. An organization arises to get to the bottom of these new personalities. Is there something more sinister going on? What is causing people to suddenly awaken with memories of their past lives?

~*Setting*~
Think Kings, Queens, dukedoms and empires. It's a medieval kind of world but also with MAGIC (if you want, and this doesn't make things too complicated). They have knights and mages, but also scientists and good literature. There's a noble caste system, but it can be more or less strict depending on participant preference.

Your past life can come from any type of world. One with futuristic technology or one even further into the past. Just explain it in your character sheet 😊

Let's call this new country Motia. There's another country across the way called Aitom and then another one called Tomia across another way... (errrh didn't think too much about this yet). We can figure out their dynamic later and it doesn't have to be full world-build.

~*Characters*~
You can play as:
- person who transmigrated from another world
- normal citizen born naturally into the world

Characters can be of any age (teenagers, children, young adults, adults, old adults are all fine). They can possess varying degrees of their old memories also.

There's four main "factions" in this story:
- transmigrated people who want to go home
- transmigrated people who don't want to go home
- people finding out the truth behind transmigrations
- people hiding the truth about transmigrations

~*Example Character Sheet*~
Name: it would be easiest of current and past life names are the same...
Transmigrator: [Y/N]
Faction: please pick one of the four
History: What world did you come from? What sort of major life experiences did your previous life have?
Occupation: What's your new identity? Or what's your current identity if you didn't transmigrate?
Country: What country did you end up waking up in? Or what country did you originally come from? Motia, Aitom, or Tomia
Appearance:
Personality:
Other:

--> if your character came from another universe, you can put that in "other" or "history" and then please give a bit of background about that world. Is it like ancient China or high fantasy with more magic and dragons and stuff?

~*House Rules*~
1. If you're interacting with another character directly, please ping them.
2. Minimum of two sentences for each post.
3. Please try to keep your character balanced.
4. Respect others ❤️

~*Author's Note*~
I envision this to be like a collection of slice of life stories with an underlying plot tying them all together. Every character should have a role to play in either uncovering the reason behind the transmigrations, wanting to hide the nature of them, or even attempting to not get caught up in it.

Hopefully you guys are interested! I think it's a super cool concept and is based on Isekai manga ❤️ Please let me know what I can do to make it better if anything!

~*Pings*~
@galaxyleopard
@meisawesome
@summerglow4a
@fanficmelon
@libra
@wingedfox
@skymoare
@thedarkarcher

Female
888 posts

meisawesome • 23 June 2020 at 8:21 PM

@pegasasu
Ok, mild confusion, but i think i can try.

Name: Ralsie
Age: 8 (that is her physical age, but she is actually 13)
Transmigrator: yes
Faction: No. 3
History: last she remembered, she was with a group of adventurers, just traveling around the world, looking for, well, adventure! Now she opened her eyes to a new surrounding and body. Where were her friends? Why was she in Motia? Who is she?. She decided to look into this, and began to travel again, looking for answers.
Country or origin: She is in Motia, but she last remembers being in Tomia.
Apperance: http://imgur.com/gallery/s5PBwcV
Personality: a bit confused at first, but she is a confident, brave person. Although she is easily frightened, she usually is quick to overcome it. Her emotions are quick to appear, and stay around for a bit longer than prefered.
Other: she has a side goal of finding her friends. She also has a distinct disliking for any kind of ruler

Female
3,556 posts

pegasasu • 23 June 2020 at 8:33 PM

@meisawesome

Thanks for trying!

So transmigrating is like coming from a different world. It's more like if you or I from Earth suddenly ended up in Motia. Or if Rey from Star Wars ended up in Tomia rather than a person existing in that world already turned into another person also living in that world.

It's like if you suddenly remembered your past life from another world. I think I just read too much isekai manga...

Name: Laurie Olivier
Transmigrator: [Y/N]
Faction: 3
History: Was born to a prominent Motian noble family and ended up becoming the King's competent aid. Currently oversees policy and is in charge of keeping the King informed of new intelligence. Has a direct connection to the nation's spymaster (although she's not the spymaster herself). She grew up learning the skills required of noble women; her parents intended to marry her off to some man. However, through her own hard work and some luck, she ended up advising the King and gaining his trust. She thinks her best friend might be a transmigrator...
Country of Origin: Motia
Appearance:
https://imagepi.otakuscan.net//extendContent/Manga/8624/a0dbd4d5-3049-44be-b195-99a17a65bbe2.jpeg
Personality: She has a normal personality? She doesn't consider herself overly anything but she takes her job seriously. Her competence has been described as scary sometimes, but Laurie tries to be a warm person every now and then. She does have a weird sense of humor according to her coworkers. Laurie does take personal pride in seeing the King's defeated expression at the work she brings him. While being a competent secretary, she also doesn't enjoy taking on more responsibility than she needs to. These transmigrators are incredibly vexing...
Other:

Female
888 posts

meisawesome • 23 June 2020 at 9:00 PM

@pegasasu
Ok, i think i got it. But can it be possible forit to happen, but on a multiversal level? Like, you got the same time, but there are different places and creatures. If not, thats ok. I just have an idea.

Female
407 posts

fanficmelon • 23 June 2020 at 10:46 PM

@pegasasu
Ive never read Isekai manga, but this sounds cool *^w^*
I might end up dropping out if its too much for me to handle though >_<
Im finding it a bit difficult for my braincell to understand so I'm going the basic route ">o>
But I'll do my best to contribute to the roleplay (ノ^ヮ^)ノ*:・゚✧
Maybe if possible, can I make a second character? |・ω・)?

Name: Akarui (Aki)
Transmigrator: No
Faction: 3
History: Aki lived in some sort of middle-class family, but after he became of age, he ventured out into the world to find work as a mage. He doesn't really do large jobs, and is rather low-budget, but he enjoys his job as a mage and wouldn't ever want anything to change. That's why, when one of his friends that he often co-ops with started acting wierdly, he started doing his best to ignore any changes for the sake of staying the way it's always been.
Country of Origin: Motia
Appearance: (Am I the only one who types out appearances instead of finding an image?) Aki is a simple looking boy, and is rather feminine. His soft blue hair forms a fluffy poof on his head, and is a struggle to deal with. Because of this, he is often seen with bedhead at all times of day. He has light amber eyes that seem to blend into his mildly tan skin. He normally wears something soft that covers up his whole body, as he's rather insecure of his appearance due to people flirting with him when assuming he's a girl.
Personality: Aki is a rather soft boy, and loves being coddled. He constantly craves attention, and acts childish at times. He's always been scared of change and failure, so he prefers to stick with things he already is good at. He's got a snarky streak though, and most of the people he knows tends not to get on his bad side unless they know they can dish what he sends them right back.
Other: I don't know much about the magic system, but I'd say that Aki has a preference for healing magic and/or ice magic. He's less fighter, more support. He also has this habit of rubbing onto things, and isn't very good at personal space.

2,892 posts

skymoare • 23 June 2020 at 11:20 PM

@pegasasu

This sounds interesting. I'll make my character asap. But I'm still a little confused on the Transmigrator part. So correct me if I make my character sheet wrong 😋

Female
3,556 posts

pegasasu • 23 June 2020 at 11:55 PM

@meisawesome - Hmm I don't have any limitations on it besides the basic story elements. I was thinking the transmigrators can come from all different types of universes and timelines and then interact with each other. It'll be fun and quirky (probably? xD)

@fanficmelon - your character description looks great! Ergh you got me, I could always type it out but I'm honestly too lazy. It's probably a good idea for me to try though so I can at least attempt to get better. I left it open-ended up on purpose but u right, even I think it might get a little complicated. I'm excited to start and see where it goes though ❤️

@skymoare - sounds great! No worries, I realize now that it's a bit confusing if you don't read Isekai manga and know the premise lol. It's like if we woke up in a strange world or like a video game and we don't know why we're there or how we can get back to our family and friends. Some characters might have felt the change immediately like they died and possessed a body in this new world with all their memories intact. Other people might've felt like they were reborn and suddenly remembered all their past life memories...

There's also a trope that people get reincarnated in books or TV shows that they've read so they've basically "seen the future." I love stories where people reincarnate as the villain or villainess and then try to avoid the worst ending possible that they've read about. One of my favorites right now is called "Beware of the Villainess!" and another is "Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World." Hopefully I can get people hooked and then we can DISCUSS and FANGIRL!! So many cute boys and gorgeous girlssss ❤️

Female
2,186 posts

hashtagnight • 24 June 2020 at 7:20 AM

@pegasasu - I may join this roleplay - I'm getting bored with the same old Dungeons and Dragons campaigns I'm participating in. (one as a player, the other as a DM - both on Discord due to its convenience) Expect my character sheet in the near future.

Anyways, how fantasy is the world? Is it your typical high fantasy or is it more akin to a low fantasy? If you'd could put it on a 1-10 scale where a higher number equals to high fantasy, where would you put it?

Female
888 posts

meisawesome • 24 June 2020 at 2:54 PM

@pegasasu
Ok, because i had the idea of a Satyr. Imma edit my new sheet here, because i wanna edit some things.

Name: Ralsie
Transmigrator: Yes
Faction: No. 1
History: she was just chatting with her friends - y'know, about the latest adventure - until she blinked. When she opened her eyes, she was in a whole new place! Not only that, but a new body! So yeah, she panicked. A lot. (The rest is in the rp)
Country of Origin: Motia
Appearance: http://imgur.com/gallery/s5PBwcV
Personality: standardly, she acts like a perfectly normal person. Although, she gets annoyed when bad music is played within earshot. Her emotions are quick to show, and take longer than prefered to go away.
Other: Ever heard of bards? Yeah, she's that. She prefers string instruments, but can also play woodwind and a small bit of piano. The downside? Her magic is HEAVILY influenced by her music (this is coming from someone who doesn't know how bards work), so if she is to mess up 1 note, the spell has a chance to compleatly backfire.
Also, she's a satyr in a human body.

Female
3,556 posts

pegasasu • 24 June 2020 at 4:01 PM

@nightmaremoon12
Yesss I'd love to have you!

I would say about a 4. It's definitely a low fantasy mimicking the set of medieval society with castles and stuff but with magic integrated for living conveniences rather than science. Think maybe magic stones powering what we'd consider modern day electronics. There can be a minimum monster presence but I'm think most of the story takes place in the capital cities which is pretty developed. Although I don't mind if people wanna lean it more towards high fantasy.

@meisawesome
That would be cool! Instead of waking up as a human or originally being a human, I don't see why someone couldn't possess/be a mythical creature!

Female
2,186 posts

hashtagnight • 24 June 2020 at 10:48 PM

@pegasasu - I may need additional explanation for the country of origin. My character is gonna be a transmigrator (belonging to one of my OC worlds) and I don't know what I should put.

Female
3,556 posts

pegasasu • 24 June 2020 at 10:52 PM

@nightmaremoon12

Country of origin is like where you ended up appearing if your charrie is a transmigrator. Or if they're an original citizen of this world, then it's like what country they're a citizen of. I'm planning on centering everything around Motia. The other countries can be like trade partners or something...

I think either history or other would be the best place to describe your charrie's previous world. Whatever's easiest and flows the best for you works for me! I'm not planning to be super strict or controlling about this rp or the concept

Female
2,186 posts

hashtagnight • 25 June 2020 at 2:09 AM

@pegasasu - Thanks! This will be great.

side note: i posted the completed sheet but eggcave gave me an error of the session expiring and i have to complete it again i'm-

Name: Grace Lumons
Faction: No. 1
History: Grace hails from a world known as Solas Nua, a high-fantasy place which has the aspects of contemporary Earth, but not exactly close to it. There, she was an archmage held with high regards, thanks to her hard work at the age of eleven. She was twelve when she was given her title of the Shining Star.
A recent fight with a demon lord ended with her losing. After being knocked out, she finds herself awake in a foreign world, unaware of where she is, and with the newfound urge to leave immediately.
Occupation: Conveniently, she's a wizard. Although her powers aren't as strong as she likes. Or used to be.
Appearance: Grace is 5"05, and she has golden eyes and black hair. Her hair is long and curly, and she prefers to keep it down most of the time. Her skin is somewhat pale.
In terms of clothing, she is almost never seen without a longcoat. In fact, that is one major defining trait of her clothing.
Personality: Grace is intelligent, with a penchant for learning information and utilizing it for personal growth. However, she is hasty and reckless, to the point where people think she throws away common sense just to get into some trouble for no reason. This is due to her stubbornness driving her to make ends meet. This goes to her trait of selflessness - where she will be stubborn enough to protect those close to her from being hurt or getting killed. She is eager for socialization but can sometimes go on tangents, especially about things she enjoys.
Other: Grace's weapons of choice are polearms, although she prefers the glaive. In her previous world, she picked it up when she was sixteen, over the reason of wanting to defend herself when magic isn't effective.
Speaking of magic, Grace perfers things that are flashy and bright. True to the title she held, like a star, she is bright but violent.

Genderqueer
3,446 posts

chaoschild • 25 June 2020 at 10:43 AM

@pegasasu This sounds awesome! Thanks for the ping!

Name: Inda Cedar
Faction: transmigrated people who don't want to go home
History: Inda is from a world called Caii. It was a little like earth, but there were no deserts anywhere. It was all swampland, water or rain-forest. She hared all the bugs and endless spiders there. It was dangerous too. She was born and raised in a little house in the middle of the swamp. No hard land for miles around. She hated it and tried to run away from it several times. Lucky for her, she was transmigrated!
Occupation: What's your new identity? Or what's your current identity if you didn't transmigrate?
Appearance: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/437130707559122455/ (Credit for the art goes to whoever drew it.)
Personality: She is the epitome of sass. She always has something witty or sarcastic to say. She's rarely speechless.
Other:

Female
888 posts

meisawesome • 27 June 2020 at 2:16 PM

Ok, so i refuse to let this topic die (because for me, 3+ days of inactivity is a good sign its gonna die) so... yeah...

2,892 posts

skymoare • 27 June 2020 at 4:37 PM

@pegasasu

this is still a little confusing for me, so I'm going to sit this one out. Have fun!

Female
3,556 posts

pegasasu • 27 June 2020 at 4:39 PM

@nightmaremoon12
Thanks for joining 😃

@wingedfox
Looks great!!

@meisawesome
Ahhh I'm so sorry. I feel like we have enough people to begin?

@skymoare
Okie~ Thanks anyways for checking it out ❤️

Female
888 posts

meisawesome • 27 June 2020 at 4:43 PM

@pegasasu alright, i was just making sure people still wanted to do this.

Female
3,556 posts

pegasasu • 27 June 2020 at 4:56 PM

@meisawesome

Not sure if I should create a new topic or just start with this one. But I'll just start and we can figure it out as we go lol

Also for general roles/normal people that you interact with (like NPC's pretty much), feel free to name them Shopkeeper 1 or Advisor 2 or like Minister 1. I'm thinking a Nurse Joy from Pokemon kind of thing where people with the same occupation have the same name just to make it easier.

Also if you're naming a new place, please make a note of it at the bottom of your post and give a brief description (unless you want it to be secret--then just add the name). I'll keep track and make a master list as we go along to avoid confusion.
----
Laurie knocked on the King's door and pushed it open when she heard his voice. "Your grace, there's been a report from the Tower of Magic. Two days ago there was a major disturbance in magical energies."

The King signed and furrowed his brow, "How much was the damage? Does the Royal Family need to clean this up?"

Looking over her glasses to study his face, Laurie noticed how tired he seemed to be. "No, your grace. This seems to be some phenomenon that happened to Tomia and Aitom. The Tower is observing for now and will provide updates when they find more information. But magical power has been in flux and they reported the appearance of strange magical signatures. They speculate it might be the emergence of a different kind of magic."

He nodded, almost glad that he wouldn't need to trouble himself over this. "Assign whatever resources we can spare and you see fit to figure this mystery out."

Laurie bowed her head and asked to be excused. She had a bad feeling about the entire situation and called in the Spymaster.

---
New Things Introduced:
- Tower of Magic: the institution of mages that trains and registers new mages and provides them resources to improve their skills. The premier magic institution that all mages try to enter. They have their own magic academy. Prominent mages get hired to work for the Royal Family while other mages become provincial mages and help manage territories with the Nobles in charge. The Tower of Magic itself is not affiliated with the Royal Family or the Nobles. The head of the Tower is a Council of Magic.

Female
888 posts

meisawesome • 27 June 2020 at 5:12 PM

Kk

She walked out of a dimly lit cave, tuning her guitar (or something like it.).
A human and a tabaxi walked out, covered in magical energy and ash.
"Dont. Try. That. Again." The human said, angered. Ralsie grinned "well would you have liked me to try it out here?" She asked in a smug tone. She raised her arm, as if to cast it again. The Tabaxi gave her a death stare, but she didn't notice. She closed her eyes and strummed.

Female
3,556 posts

pegasasu • 27 June 2020 at 6:35 PM

@meisawesome - what's a Tabaxi?

--
The Spymaster rushed over. He was a curious character who constantly picked at his nails with agitation. Perhaps it was anxiety. Or maybe he just didn't like Laurie. Well, Laurie didn't think too highly of him either. His slim figure appeared shadowy at times, as if the man might slip away if it weren't for her stare constantly on him.

"Miss Olivier, is it about the magical disturbances?" he tilted his head, as if knowing all the questions she would ask.

She nodded, not taking her eyes off of him. "What do you know?"

"There have been a couple people puzzled over the new behavior of their relatives. Among those is Duke Castillen who worries over his son and then the Marchioness Essell seems overly concerned with the development of her adopted daughter. There have been stirrings of disturbances within the Black Market regarding these changing personalities and the Tower of Magic had a few mages affected too." The Spymaster concluded his report and started picking at his fingers nervously.

Laurie let him go, poured herself a cup of tea and wondered how she would approach this new problem.

--
New things introduced:
Duke Castillen - puzzled over the behavior of his son
Marchioness Essell - puzzled over the behavior of her adopted daughter
Black Market - where bad stuff gets sold...
Feel free to use these two to develop your own backstories!

Female
888 posts

meisawesome • 27 June 2020 at 6:47 PM

@pegasasu
Google it, but the simple answer is cat people.

She kept her eyes closed as she felt...weird. the texture of the ground was now noticeable, her guitar was gone. She opened her eyes and looked down to see a whole new body. She screamed.

Female
3,556 posts

pegasasu • 27 June 2020 at 7:06 PM

@meisawesome - ooh looks cool! I used to play Dungeons and Dragons so I thought the same sounded familiar.

Here's some more world building smh
--
She headed home for the day which meant just a couple minutes walk from the palace into the forest behind it. Laurie's cottage had been built on royal ground, but the King had granted her the land a few years ago for her service. Now, she owned a decently sized plot of Royal Forest, filled with spiritual energy, rare herbs, abundant wild creatures, and even a magical mine. Of course she was the only one who realized it was there. A council member of the Tower of Magic had presented her the privacy of a Concealment spell as a gift after she helped them with passing a policy.

Laurie opened the door to her little sanctuary and the modernity contrasted with its rural appearance. Magical tools that she took interest in tinkering with littered the floor along with loose sheets of papers that she needed to review. She had a bed upstairs with a blanket cooled and heated by a magical crystal. The entire cottage interior was sleek and white and felt like a bottle of Purell--antiseptic and practical. She snapped her fingers and her lights turned on while walked to her kitchen to make food.

--
New introductions:
Royal Forest - the land behind the royal palace that's basically unclaimed wilderness but under the management of the Royal Family.
Magic crystal - basically electricity in this world. You can power stuff and depending on the magic consumption of the device, the crystals can last super long. A magic crystal for a refrigerator should last about twenty years.

Female
888 posts

meisawesome • 27 June 2020 at 7:17 PM

@pegasasu alright, just so you know, she comes from pretty much a standard DnD world.

After like a minute of panicking, she forced herself to calm down. "Alright Ralsie, first things first: try to walk.". That proved to be much less of a challenge than she thought it would be. The only difference for her, was that hooves were a smoothe surface, and if you stepped on something sharp, it didn't hurt that much.

Female
2,186 posts

hashtagnight • 27 June 2020 at 11:00 PM

Hmmm... I don't know how to incorporate my character into the story but I'll try.

~

"Seriously?! Out of all the places I could have been and out of all the things that could have happened, this is the result?!"
Grace's loud voice complains inside a forest. "This is just perfect. This is just so perfect!"
She lets out a sigh of defeat as she slumps down next to the nearest tree in sight. "Wonder how everyone's doing in Solas Nua without me. Maybe if I..." Grace stretches out an arm, trying to channel in the weave of magic to do her bidding. However, all she can muster up is simple sparks of sorcery.
"If I want to cast a wish to get me home, I'll need something better than this..."

Female
3,556 posts

pegasasu • 27 June 2020 at 11:10 PM

@nightmaremoon12 - we're just kind of getting our bearings real quick. I can come find you haha

@meisawesome - I'm excited!

--
Laurie's meal was interrupted by a loud thump outside of her cottage. She felt there was still some distance between her and whatever intruded her peace. Grabbing a light jacket, she headed outside into the early twilight to explore the source of the noise.

As she approached what she thought to be the origin of the sound, she felt the magic twist around her in an unfamiliar way. Although Laurie couldn't use her own magic, she had enough dealings with the Tower of Magic and enough time with magic tools to know how they felt. The leaves crunched underneath her feet as she brushed aside a branch.

Female
2,186 posts

hashtagnight • 28 June 2020 at 12:47 AM

@pegasasu

~

Grace perks up as she hears the soft sounds of something moving nearby. "Hey, who's there?" She immediately stands up and gets into a battling stance. "If you're here to do anything funny, then you'll have to get through my glaive first!"
She tries to sound intimidating, to make it feel like she means business. In reality, she's trying to deter anyone who might harm her.

Female
3,556 posts

pegasasu • 28 June 2020 at 1:35 AM

@nightmaremoon12 - I'm not sure if your character description is what Grace looks like now or what she looked like in her previous world. I just carried her appearance over too. Lemme know if you want something different and I can change it!

--
Laurie heard a female voice. A glaive? she thought to herself incredulously. When was the last time someone had challenged her with an actual weapon? There was no way she could win against a weapons user in a fight. Perhaps she shouldn't reveal herself after all? But then again, a weapons user would probably be faster than her and stronger. It would be best to introduce herself on good terms.

She put her hands in the air as she stepped out of the thicket and into view of a girl with golden eyes and black hair. "I happened to come across you since I live nearby. My name's Laurie." She cautiously introduced herself, but tried to maintain some level of nonchalance in her tone. She examined the girl's outfit and thought she looked a bit familiar. She had to have a noble identity to be in the Royal Forest. Why did this girl look so bewildered?

Female
2,186 posts

hashtagnight • 28 June 2020 at 1:55 AM

@pegasasu - I reckon she'd try to look similar to what she used to be back in Solas Nua.

~

"Laurie, huh?" Grace loosens up a little bit upon coming into eye contact with her. "Cute name. Now, tell me where I am."
Usually she would be quick to trust a person. But due to the fact she is literally in a foreign world, she has to remain vigilant. "I don't belong here, and believe me, I'd rather be back home than be... wherever I am."

Female
888 posts

meisawesome • 28 June 2020 at 9:02 AM

She sighed "alrightm next thing is to get an instrument.". She wandered aimlessly, because she didn't know where a town was.