Why Don't We See Artist Credit Anywhere?

in Help & Questions

Cis Female
604 posts

kataclysm • 30 January 2024 at 8:17 AM

I know I'm not the only user that's particularly appreciative of the recent CRW creature designs, and I also know I'm not the only use that's interested in supporting the artist behind these creatures.

A question I've got floating around my mind, and have been for a while now, is why don't we know who produces the art for EC? There are multiple artists, I know, but I couldn't tell you who any of them are. I remember joining EC and expecting to come across something like a credits page or an artists page, but there's nothing of the sort.

Is there a reason for this? If so, is there any wiggle room to rethink this or make the answer public?

Female
677 posts

myriadium • 30 January 2024 at 12:22 PM

I totally agree with this! I love the current artists we have and would like to support them on any social medias they have, and I've been trying to see if they posted their art on other platforms, which might not be allowed depending on whatever the contracts say.

Of course, it's possible these artists would like to stay anonymous, in which it would make sense to simply credit them as anon. I think travel/item artists are different from creature artists because the styles differ slightly, and I'd like to be able to see their works as well!

Female
2,934 posts

heatherm19 • 30 January 2024 at 1:39 PM

I remember being so confused when I first joined, coming from a petsite where artist credits are Important and very visible. It really does seem weird, there is SO much amazing art on this site but the only 'credit' ever given is to users for concept or description.

Female
2,718 posts

jlya • 30 January 2024 at 1:51 PM

Totally understand if the artist would like to stay anonymous ❤️ But I also would love to show my personal appreciation for the amazing effort Eggcave artists put into their work, especially this year's CRW. I don't know who you are but you did a beautiful job~

Deleted • 30 January 2024 at 2:37 PM

I always wondered about that as well (and assumed maybe they asked to be anon not to be showered in comments and stuff?). But If they'd be okay with being publicly mentioned, I think there would be a lot of people that would love to follow them and show support. I think it would be nice to have them mentioned in the archives as well (art draw by artistx, for example) at least. 😊

1,965 posts

opalquinze • 30 January 2024 at 10:46 PM

think i recall stumbling upon one of the site artists’ cove here a while back (they did the art for the Flowerfur as stated on their bio), but i’ve forgotten what their username was and from their recent wall posts, they haven’t been on for a few years… don’t remember how i even found ‘em, guess i just was browsing on some old wall posts and just so happened to find one mentioning said user was that artist?

aside from this one i found, i haven’t seen any others stating that they did [x] art, so i would like if there was at least a mention somewhere! if they wished to remain anonymous, that’s understandable!

Female
1,243 posts

senkou • 30 January 2024 at 10:53 PM

boost, i would definitely love to support the artists outside of eggcave as well and check out their other works! perhaps an "artists" page on eggcave for them to share their art and social media platforms would be good (or they can stay anonymous if they prefer)? as an artist myself i do think this idea would be highly beneficial for them too though and would be some good free exposure for their platforms!

@ian 😊

Cis Female
604 posts

kataclysm • 31 January 2024 at 3:00 PM

Anonymity is super fair and valid, but even being able to attribute work to 'the artist known as [pen name]' or simply 'anonymous', would be better than the nothing we presently have. Credit is super important and seems curiously lacking here!!

Female
2,408 posts

ida92 • 31 January 2024 at 3:19 PM

@kataclysm I get you point. It would be nice to know who created the artwork. And if the artist wants to stay anonymous, they should have the right to do so.

Non-binary
67 posts

endrolled • 1 February 2024 at 1:18 AM

the lack of artist credit has felt super weird to me for a while now. like other commenters are saying, i can understand wanting to be anonymous for one reason or another, but i'd love to at least be able to group creatures together based on which artist drew them, even if i can only attribute the art to an alias of some kind.

chicken smoothie credits all its artists, so the contrast here is kind of strange to me, i guess? so long as the artists are happy it's not a problem, but i can't deny that it has me confused.

Female
307 posts

powgal15 • 3 February 2024 at 10:17 PM

It's always been odd to me when it comes to the credit of the artists. I absolutely ADORE some of the art styles (like the one who draws Cranotter and Frango, you know, the cute chibi stuff, and the person who drew the current CRW stuff [who I'm pretty sure illustrated some of my favorite all-time creatures, the art is insane 😱]) and would LOVE to know who at least some of them are. I can understand privacy however, and it's fine if I'll never know.

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 4 February 2024 at 1:21 AM

The artists will remain anonymous.

There will never be any wiggle room.