EC Contest - Characters [CLOSED]

in User Contests & Giveaways

Non-binary
198 posts

plisser9 • 29 July 2017 at 4:59 AM

** Update: The contest is officially over. Thanks to everyone who participated! This was a lot of fun. **

Okay, so, I've never done one of these before, but I figured I'd pour some of my ec back into eggcave especially since there hasn't been any new SAR creatures recently.

Prizes (in ec): (Edit: added 6th-10th tiers and upped reward amounts for some, because why not)
1st: 5 mil
2nd: 3 mil
3rd: 2 mil
4th: 1 mil
5th: 750k
6th: 500k
7th: 250k
8th: 175k
9th: 100k
10th: 75k

The contest goes like this: Tell me an idea for a character, complete with a color palette, name, age, gender (optional), species if they aren't human, backstory, a short list of likes and dislikes, abilities, personality, and anything else you would like to add. The most well thought out and interesting characters will win.

It doesn't need to be a 500 page epic. Actually, please don't make it really long. A paragraph or two is good. As for the reason behind the contest, I like seeing other people's ideas. It kind of gives you an idea of how their mind works and I might learn something from how other people construct characters.

*Disclaimer*: I'm not planning on stealing any characters. I have too many of my own already in their own little worlds (lol).

How to enter: Ping me and give a friendly introduction (if it's not friendly there won't be points reduced, but I like the warmth y'know?). It can be as simple as a hello and your username + your intent to join the contest. Then post your character idea. Please post in the following format to make things readable. You can copy and paste it. Intro contains name, age, gender, and species.

Intro:
Palette:
Likes/dislikes:
Personality:
Backstory:
Abilities:
Other:

**Example:
**Intro: Coraline is a rabbit girl and about 1000 years old.

**Palette: Soft yellow/white (hair)/orange

**Likes/dislikes: Likes eating dandelions and hopping around her palace. She dislikes wolves.

**Personality: Happy-go-lucky and very curious.

**Backstory: When she was a young rabbit, her parents disappeared at the hands of the wily wolf and she vowed to get revenge, only to get amnesia from eating a poisonous mushroom. It nags at the back of her mind, making her uneasy at times, but she tries to live with as much fun as possible.

**Abilities: She is good at chess but can only play with herself since she lives alone.

**Other: She is from a bloodline that lives for thousands of years. She has a rabbit tail and ears and whiskers that appear when she gets angry.

Judging: It will be based on how well all the elements fit together, how much the character makes sense/is believable, and originality. I will be as objective as possible but keep in mind this has a subjective element. Please don't roast me for your placement or lack of; I'll try not to be biased! Not that I have friends to be biased towards though amiright?

Entries I'll reject automatically:
- Fan characters, i.e. ones in a preexisting fictional world (game, movie, book, webcomic, etc.). For example: Fnaf, Undertale, Steven Universe, LotR...
- Improperly formatted or unformatted entries.
- Entries that go beyond 300 words excluding the copy-pasted formatting words.

End date: August 7th 2017 at 11:59pm eggcave time or when there are 25 valid entrants (let's hope that doesn't happen, or rather does because yay more to read). Prizes will be distributed the day after it ends sometime if I can finish reading and judging then.

I feel like I just wrote up a whole long thing that I didn't need to. I'm nothing if not thorough. Whelp, it's an easy 5 mil ec if only one person enters so there's your incentive.

Entrants (Max 25)
1. @thedarkarcher
2. @wigglytuff
3. @neko-sama
4. @jello
5. @rbubblegum
6. @lightningpaws
7. @hxhx2006
8. @zx-metalmonster
9. @wolfkit
10. @stagfire
11. @vos
12. @iris1929578
13. @purgatory
14. @starpup5
15. @karakia
16. @cloudslay3r

Deleted • 29 July 2017 at 8:39 AM

@plisser9 This is a great idea! I can't wait to put in my entry!

Female
2,200 posts

thedarkarcher • 29 July 2017 at 9:01 AM

@plisser9 hello what a really beautiful idea and very generous too. im not the best at writing skills but ill try my very best

username: @thedarkarcher
reasons for joining: well ive only recently returned and so far its been tough getting anywhere so having do ec to trade with would be perfect!

name: Scarlet (i like that name). She's a vampire slayer but is half vampire herself.
palette: Light red and darker red dress with threaded in beads. Hair dark brow (long). Black and Red high boots with straps going up.
dislikes: Vampires, bright colors and loud people
likes: Music, Collecting a variety of unique weapons and Relaxing.
personality: Shes the lazy sort and nothing sort of it! she only moves if shes has too which is tends to be when she cant pay her bills or is lectured.
backstory: Born into a rare vampire clan from her mothers side she saw the evil and suffering they caused not agreeing with their methods of life she left the clan in order to stop it. Her father fully human tried to stand up to them as well after seeing what horrors his wife was involved with but was shortly slayed by his wifes hand.
abilities: Shes very skilled with weapons especially her beloved Demonic Blade.

that was really bad haha but it was fun as well. thank you for hosting this!

Non-binary
198 posts

plisser9 • 29 July 2017 at 1:14 PM

@hxhx2006
Thank you, can't wait to see it.
@thedarkarcher
I appreciate your creativity, it's awesome that you posted.

Female
4,575 posts

wigglytuff • 29 July 2017 at 2:00 PM

@plisser9 great idea!
user: @wigglytuff
Joined because: This seems fun and I'm always in need of EC!

Name: Emily
Palette: She has chesnut hair and brown eyes.
Dislikes: Poachers, people who hate animals especially wolves, baths.
Likes: Hanging out with her wolf pack, playing in the mud.
Personality: Emily is energetic and kind.
Backstory: First, when she was 7, there was a flood in her town and she was washed away into the forest surrounding her home. A pack of wolves found her and took her in. They can talk. The Leader found a great liking for Emily, and showed her an Amulet which held the power for whoever wore it would be able to turn into a wolf and have special powers. Everyone in the pack agreed that Emily should have it, because she saved them from the werewolves that, every full moon, they took the wolf's pups and ate them. Although her lost mother found her, and giving the sad news that her father died during the flood, she still turns into a wolf and visits the pack who raised her for 6 years. She uses her powers to stop poachers and others who would hurt the pack.
Abilities: Can turn into a wolf and has various powers that she can use when she needs them the most, like super speed and boosted senses.
Abilities:

Deleted • 29 July 2017 at 2:12 PM

@plisser9
Thanks for hosting this even though I am like 1% non fan creative. I need to be more creative. Thanks! - @togepi360

Intro: Flurry is just your average dragon-boy. I guess.
Palette: A light blue skinned tallish boy with spiky brown hair. Not so spiky though. He wears a dark blue hoodie and black jeans. He wears blue sneakers and a dragon sweatband. He also has large blue bat-like wings and a razor sharp tail with horns on his head.
Likes/dislikes: He likes all types of fish and taking naps. He dislikes salty foods, board games, and when the wifi goes down. He is a big fan of video games.
Personality: He is really nice when you give him gifts. He is a bit stubborn and will do anything to get what he wants.
Backstory: He was a normal boy when an accident forced him to fuse with a dragon. He barely even notices his powers these days.
Abilities: He can fly and he is a video game master.
Other: If you poke his tail his wings will pop open

Female
2,158 posts

prairie • 29 July 2017 at 2:14 PM

@plisser9
This sound really fun. 😃

Just a quick Q, I am more artistic than a writer. 😱
So are we also able to draw one if we'd like? 😋 (so Long as it have the elements/stuff you asked for in the Pic or in the post)

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 29 July 2017 at 2:27 PM

@Plisser9

Intro: Valeria is a turtle. she has a fondness for lettuce. one time an alligator took her lettuce. she got mad.
Palette: has a green shell. guacamole green neck. blue eyes.
Likes/dislikes: likes lettuce. doesn't like not eating lettuce. despises tomatoes and frogs.
Personality: hungry for lettuce. and revenge.
Backstory: she ate lettuce and loved it.
Abilities: can track lettuce in a 1 mile radius.
Other: doesn't like cabbage. or alligators.

Deleted • 29 July 2017 at 7:37 PM

@plisser9

Hi! I’m @rbubblegum. Thank you for hosting this! It is a great idea 😊
The reason I am joining is because building up characters is a great imaginative exercise to do 😊 To be honest, I am in need of ec as well😊

Intro: Torn by the love of her life and her morals, Emelie wanders the streets at night, seeking victims with her conscience weighing down with anguish and culpability.

Palette: Emelie holds the look of freshness, with her distinct steel blue eyes light hearted, and face always lit up in a smile. With short strawberry blonde hair, the splash of freckles across her face similar to Audrey Hepburn’s adds to her look of innovation.

Likes: Unlike typical millennials, Emelie enjoys music from the classic and baroque periods. Her cello playing is stunning, and portrays life through Emelie’s positive perspective.

Dislikes: Emelie hates feeling somber, and hates people who acquire things not by hard work, but by cheating and bribery.

Personality: Emelie has a strong sense of right and wrong, and will always strive to be the best she can be.

Backstory: When the love of her life, Adam, undeservedly perishes from an incurable disease, Emelie’s entire world is ripped apart by sorrow. His father, a medical genius, is also desperate to bring Adam back to life, and pleads Emelie for her help. She jumps at the chance to bring her lover back to life, but they have set out to achieve the impossible - to replace Adam’s heart. Emelie has been tasked with obtaining a replacement that the boy's body will not reject. This completely goes against her morals, and yet, every night, she continues with her murderous hunt for a new heart. Determined to give Adam a second chance at life, Emelie is willing to sacrifice her time, her morals, and even her heart.

Hope this is good enough😊 Thank you!

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 29 July 2017 at 10:17 PM

@plisser9

Hi, is it okay if to use a character already created if s/he isn't stollen? I'm working on a novel and have a bunch of characters.

If so, is it okay to PM you the submission? Thanks! ❤️

Deleted • 29 July 2017 at 11:31 PM

@plisser9

Ello! Haha this seems so cool! Never seen a contest like this, so it should be very interesting! ❤️ Thank you for the chance!

Username: @lightningpaws
Reason for joining: I could use the ec for Tim's on my two accounts since I don't have leaf of Vaka XD and also I always could use ec to help me trade for creatures I'm seeking

Intro: Caroline is an awkward Ailurophobia (Fear of cats), at 18 years old.
Palette: Hazel eyes with specks of green near the pupil. Long golden brown hair that almost reaches her waist line. Usually keeps her clothing casual, simply a t-shirt and jeans.
Dislikes: Cats (Even toy cats), quiet places, and dark rooms.
Personality: Cautious, curious, paranoid and sometimes quite clumsy.
Backstory: Living with her parents was no paradise. She was not to speak to anyone unless spoken too (which was never). Her father fled the household from annoyance, leaving her home alone with her drunk mother and her mother's many cats. When Caroline misbehaved (or her mother thought she did) she would get locked in the basement with no lights and only the sounds of her mother's cats surrounding her. Half the time Caroline's mother would forget about her, which left Caroline no choice to be "stranded" in the dark, alone. Even though she hated her mother, she longed for some type of warmth or light. Once she turned 18, Caroline quickly left and adapted the fear of cats; which would remind her of the long days stuck with them.
Abilities: She has excellent hearing which grew more every time she was alone because she'd hear every little sound in the basement.
Other: Although, she likes to be around people she's not much of a talker and often gets called a mute.

....well uh...just realized how sad that character actually sounds XD wellp I tried

Non-binary
198 posts

plisser9 • 30 July 2017 at 1:43 AM

@wigglytuff Thanks.
@togepi360 Yeah no problem.
@prairie Huh. I guess that would work, sure.
@jello Aw no friendly introduction? I'll enter you but your character idea is a little short, if you want to edit it.
@rbubblegum It's 21 words too long, the cap is 300. You can go back and edit it. Thanks for joining.

Non-binary
198 posts

plisser9 • 30 July 2017 at 5:29 AM

@lykhaos117 As long as they are your original character, it's fine. That's true, I wouldn't post any characters from my writings on a public forum either, so you can pm it to me.
@lightningpaws Thanks, and no problem lol.
@hxhx2006 Thank you. Wow, right under the word limit. Nice.

Male
284 posts

zx-metalmonster • 30 July 2017 at 5:30 AM

@plisser9

Hi =) I'm Zepto, nice to meet you. I would like to enter, I'll edit my entry into the post later today if that's alright =)

Edit: 2/8/2017

The character is made to fit into one of my existing settings, but is new and was created with this contest in mind.

Intro: Aboard human kinds outermost space station, after the failure of crucial systems, living conditions were maintained by a network of plant life. The gargantuan, luminescent trees that preserved the crew were named Geo, after the man who commanded them.

Palette: Geo's sharp features in conjunction with copper hair and dark skin suggest mixed ethnicity. He is short but strong, dressed in hues of blue akin to his cobalt eyes.

Likes/dislikes: He is fond of a decrepit game device he'd received as a gift when he was a boy. He is amused by zero gravity environments but hates most everything else about space travel. The low key hum of machines upsets him.

Personality: Geo is an even-tempered and candid man. He is often wrongfully taken as shy. Because he is perpetually silent it's easy to make this assumption.

Backstory: In preparation for another great war, gifted men were manufactured and refined as the next wonder weapon. When the conflict ended they became like nuclear missiles at peace time, carefully regulated, dangerous and expensive. In an attempt to be repurposed, they were put aboard space craft bound for humanities farthest outposts in hopes that they would aid these voyages.
Taking poorly to space travel because of his inability to interact with devices aboard, Geo lingered in one chamber of the craft and busied himself with tending to seedlings until a fatal error made his involvement necessary for the crew to survive.

Abilities: Geo has an array of powers,the most notable is his ability to alter DNA based life forms and maintain a connection with them, enabling him to command them.

Other: He can neither read nor write.

Non-binary
198 posts

plisser9 • 30 July 2017 at 6:41 AM

@zx-metalmonster Hey, nice to meet you too. Yeah that's perfectly fine, I'll note you down in case I forget to check for edited posts.

Deleted • 30 July 2017 at 7:06 AM

@plisser9

Hi, I have edited my previous post. It's now under the word limit 😊

Non-binary
198 posts

plisser9 • 30 July 2017 at 7:17 AM

@rbubblegum Cool.

Deleted • 30 July 2017 at 11:54 AM

@plisser9 Hi! Any chance I can redo my entry because I feel like what I wrote wasn't my best and wasn't as creative as I can be. Please?

Non-binary
198 posts

plisser9 • 30 July 2017 at 4:33 PM

@hxhx2006 Sure. I won't read the entries until the end so I won't know the difference. I want to read them all at the same time to be as fair as possible.

Female
137 posts

vos • 30 July 2017 at 10:23 PM

@plisser9
I love your example! A fantastic springboard.

There was once was a lythe black cat named Cadeau. 'Cadeau' is French for gift. He lived in Paris about 1160 AD when the Notre Dame Cathedral was being built.

He was the ship's cat on a notorious plundering vessel. One day he got fed up with controlling rats and mice for murderous and dissolute pirates. The pirates buried their treasure (as pirates do) on an island which today is known as Ile de la Cite. When the men were full of rum and snoring, Cadeau crept out, dug up the treasure and moved it piece by piece to another site.

Pandemonium broke out when the treasure was gone, each blaming the other for the theft. How ironic! It was a good opportunity for Cadeau to steal away.

As the gargoyles were installed high over the buttressed walls, Cadeau nimbly leapt up the scaffolding and placed jewels and gold inside them. The gargoyles to this day guard the Cathedral and the unknown treasure.

The visitors to Notre Dame remain blissfully unaware of the gift to Paris of this special furry champion!

*Not in formal categories but ticks all the boxes, I hope.
*Happy for constructive criticism from anyone to improve the story.

Non-binary
198 posts

plisser9 • 30 July 2017 at 10:33 PM

@vos Thanks.

Deleted • 31 July 2017 at 9:19 AM

@plisser9 Okay I will delete my other one, this is the one I want you to read!
Hi! I am @hxhx2006!
My reason for joining is that I think this is a great way to practise my English, but earn EC at the same time! I think you are very generous for doing this!

Intro: 17 year old Alison Harkins -devil/angel constantly confused about her identity.

Palette: Alison has fiery red hair that she wears in a high ponytail and sparkling gold eyes with flecks of blue in them so they look like glittering marbles. Her face, similar to a fox’s, has angular cheekbones and a pointed chin, and her lips are a dark wine colour, which makes her gleaming white teeth stand out. She wears tight body suits that call attention to her body’s perfect curves along with high heeled knee boots.

Likes/Dislikes: Likes Daniel, a boy she falls in love with. Hates those who catcall at her, for she is not interested in anyone other than Daniel. She also hates disappointing her father, for the look in his eyes when she does hurts more than a million blazing hot knives being stabbed into her heart…

Personality: Adventurous, alert and alluring.

Backstory: Alison was born a devil, with a heart of stone, something all Underworld children are blessed with. Her job was a ‘Curser’, and she was good at it, with a little help from her stunning looks. What she does is go to heaven and pretends to be an angel, gets close to a certain person, then curses them.
Alison is assigned to a handsome boy named Daniel. During that time, Alison gets to know Daniel and ends up being his girlfriend, thinking it would allow her to easily curse him. But, as the days go past, she finds she has a crush on him. She knows what she will have to do to him soon and can’t help but feel guilty. She stands between two worlds- Good and Evil. But which should she choose?

Abilities: She can hypnotise people but prefers not to as she thinks it is manipulative.

Hehe, kinda bad still but it's better than the other one in my opinion...

1,853 posts

purgatory • 31 July 2017 at 10:20 AM

@plisser9

Hallo~ hopefully this entry is good x) or not, hahaha. Is this still open??

Intro: Purple eyes scanned the area, wings blacker than the night spread to it's fullest extent, a witch-like hat gently swayed to the breeze, human hands fidgeting with a take-out food b- wait, what? Oh, it's just Klara the Witch-Avian trying to find a trash can.

Palette: Klara has shiny black hair, the same color as her wings. Her purple eyes match her dark magenta overcoat that covers most of her short plum colored dress. Her wings match the color of midnight. A wand lays in her grip.

Likes/dislikes: She loves to roam the night, flying where no one dares to visit. She absolutely hates the smell of garlic.

Personality: She's a daredevil who likes to play tricks on people, but have a soft spot for the suffering.

Backstory: Her father was an Avian and her mother was a Witch. Klara loves her parents, but she had to leave, which brings us to a 19 year old girl living in an apartment full of empty instant noodle cups.

Abilities: She can perform spells that fall under the "Dark" category.

Other: Her life depends on instant noodles.

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 31 July 2017 at 2:19 PM

@plisser9

Gah can I be number 12? It was my classroom number XD

I'll post later when I have everything planned and done.

Non-binary
198 posts

plisser9 • 31 July 2017 at 3:55 PM

@hxhx2006 Okay. Whether it's "bad" or not, I appreciate you taking the time to create this.
@purgatory I'm interested to see what you've come up with regardless of perceived quality. It's open until August 7th or 25 entrants. I'll update the title when it's closed.
@iris1929578 No problem.

1,853 posts

purgatory • 31 July 2017 at 4:47 PM

@plisser9

Mmkay~ thanks!!

Female
452 posts

karakia • 31 July 2017 at 6:19 PM

@plisser9

Hi! I would love to join this if there is anymore available spots! ^-^ The main reason I would like to enter is because I need to work on my writing skills and this seems like a perfect way to practice (oh and I need ec for Tim's anyways hehe)

Also - would it be ok if edit my post later with my entry? I'm currently working on it (:

--

Intro: Harper is a half human female shapeshifter, 17 years of age.

Palette: In Harper's true form she has pale blonde hair that is shoulder length, and frames her face. Her eyes are a smooth mocha brown that give her a friendly facade. For clothes Harper normally wears rather plain shirts with dark washed shorts and black sneakers.

Likes: Harper has a fondness for candy and always carries some wherever she goes. She also likes to watch old black and white movies, though she'd never admit it.

Dislikes: The one thing Harper dislikes most is coffee, in fact, she believes it's the nastiest beverage ever invented. That isn't the only thing she hates though - Harper also hates when she doesn't get her way, bugs, and people who use way too much perfume.

Personality: Harper's innocent appearance is just a disguise. In reality she doesn't care who she hurts as long as she gets her way. She often plays cruel jokes on her friends and family. Her personality is described as devilish, mysterious, and cold hearted.

Backstory: As soon as Harper was born her parent's were put to death. Her mother broke one of the most serious rules in the shape shifter community- falling in love with a mortal. Her mother and father tried to keep their relationship a secret but were discovered when Harper was born. The shape shifters decided to spare Harper from her parent's fate. The catch was they made it so she could never love. That is the main reason Harper is so heartless - she literally can't love.

Ability: Harper has the ability to shift into anything that is living, you name it. All she needs to do is channel her power to the living thing she wishes to be and she can shift to appear like an exact duplicate of them.

Non-binary
198 posts

plisser9 • 31 July 2017 at 7:34 PM

@starpup5 I don't know anything about that game, but as long as your character doesn't utilize its pre-made lore, locations, original character archetype(s) or base(s), etc. it's fine. You can tweak those things if you are using them to something not from the game. If your character just takes inspiration from the game, that's fine. I made this rule so that people can't use preexisting worlds as a tool or crutch. I haven't read the actual entry yet because I'm going to read them all at the same time, but I look forward to it.
@karakia The cap is 25, so you can still enter and edit your post, and I'll mark you down.

29 posts

starpup5 • 31 July 2017 at 7:36 PM

i used the spirit animal game to create Aisha nothing more promise

Non-binary
198 posts

plisser9 • 31 July 2017 at 7:44 PM

@starpup5 Okay great. Also, please ping me if you have something else to say, or I'm more likely to miss it.