Some Improvement Ideas

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Female
2,153 posts

prairie • 17 September 2021 at 6:40 PM

I have been very bored around the site lately, but it has given me a surplus of time to go around and brainstorm up a ton of things I think could be an improvement to the site. I feel like these improvements would not only help people just use the site easier, but also help the site become more active.

Personally, I feel like Egg Cave has slowly become more Cash Shop oriented, and drags more people and kids into buying CC. The game is much slower and less enjoyable if you have to paperclip trade up in my opinion. (Also CC is kinda on a flimsy 🪙:💵 conversion rate atm with re-releases)
I am aware that Egg Cave is still a "Free to play Game", but it just takes so much longer.
So most ideas that aren't QoL related are going to be aimed towards not needing CC as much, or to encourage value growth/trade promotion.

Some of these ideas I know have topics that discuss it further - and I've linked them.

Q U A L I T Y O F L I F E:
● Mass deletion of wall posts (Please spending hours deleting wall posts is the worst)
Dark mode option
Mail folders for organizing
● Cove list 'add all creatures (sorted by species)' feature
● Master list of all items
 (That you can check off for a item collection tracker)
● Perhaps a fixed maximum price for cove spaces?
 (I find it very difficult to keep up, especially when I have sides I spent more than needed on)

S I T E A D D I T I O N S I D E A S::
● Quest-exclusive creatures (still in a pool of creatures that have been available once)
● 'Creators mark' for creature designer's OG copy
● 'CDWC mark' for awarded OG copy
● More CDWC opportunities (at least a monthly occurrence?)
● Deletion of End of the Year resale (with re-releases now, I feel its a bit much)
● Achievements
● Creature(s) you can get after completing a certain amount of achievements
● A implemented way for users to have at least a chance of getting CC for free
 ( ↑ either by lottery or 🪙:💵 vend machine at a fixed rate)

Let me know your thoughts about these ideas and feel free to ask me questions if you want me to elaborate!

Pings:
@ian
@orderedchaos
@pipkitten
@chapus

Female
1,621 posts

solaris • 18 September 2021 at 2:23 PM

@prairie

I like most of these! Especially the “Creator’s and CDWC Mark”. It’s a unique idea!
I do disagree about the End of Year sale, though. I like to wait until the end of the year to see which CSP creatures I like best. And it’s not too far after the “Cyber Monday” sale, which I usually take advantage of.

I also really like the “item master list” idea. And to go with that, it would be nice to be able to input a creature’s name when you’re using an item instead of having to scroll for acres!! Lol
And speaking of items, I would love a sort of Oasis for retired items. For example, I’m missing just a couple to fully 100% General Food Store, but they’re basically impossible to get. So it’d be fun to have a retired item Oasis!

Female
2,153 posts

prairie • 18 September 2021 at 3:40 PM

@solaris
I do agree that the End of the Year cancelation suggestion is certainly the most controversial - even to myself LMAO. I tend to not be able to buy CSPs from the month as they come out, and have to either trade for them or wait till Dec.
However, I currently feel like EC is just a bit too centralized on the cash shop, and I think that if we take out the EoY sale, it'll help balance out things and encourage trading. I just don't think a site that is mostly aimed towards kids/teens should rotate around something that is acquired easiest through real money.
Now if there was a EC to CC vendor on site - I think it'd be absolutely awesome for the EoY sale to stay.

I like the oasis type game feature for old retired items. Maybe a "Thrift Shop" type thing??? Or some sort of "Ye Old Diner" for food LMAO.

Female
408 posts

izziedragon • 19 September 2021 at 9:23 AM

@prairie Yeah the end of the year sale is iffy cause I've definitely had to take advantage of it but I can see where you're coming from. I really love most of these ideas and you're for sure on the right page. Egg Cave needs to be more engaging. It seems... stuck. It hasn't progressed too much in terms of engagement. Even if the fear is that we may look like other sites, I think the difference is the vibe in this community. It's always drawn me back and I plan on trying to be here a while. That being said, it's hard to stand by and watch the site slowly die so implementing some new activities and features is something I'm all for!

Female
2,153 posts

prairie • 19 September 2021 at 5:42 PM

@izziedragon
Yeah. that ones my hottest take for sure. 😊 I usually have to take advantage of it myself; but I just feel like there's too much incentive to just buy CC creatures vs encouraging trade.
I completely agree with you that Egg Cave is 'stuck', and I'm hoping some of these ideas will bring more activity to the site.

Some pings:
@shine
@beta
@mastergemma
@lykhaos117

Male
2,235 posts

beta • 19 September 2021 at 5:57 PM

@prairie hiya, thanks for the ping. I read it all already, but I didn’t have any feedback that hasn’t already been said so I didn’t bother 😋

Gender Questioning
289 posts

shine • 22 September 2021 at 7:29 AM

@prairie These are all some great suggestions! I'd like to add that the V.E.N.D Machine no longer being random would probably be an incentive to do quests, as right now I have no motivation for them myself due to the possibility of getting a creature I don't actually want. I'd also like to add a feature for the cove list of "add all" (organized alphabetically), too. I order my favourites alphabetically and it takes quite a while 😋

The EoY resale being deleted seems to be controversial, however as much as I enjoy purchasing a CSP for myself on my birthday every year (December 23), I have to say I agree with this too. As you said, the site revolves way too much around the Cash Shop currently. Even if it weren't a site primarily aimed at kids/teens, that sort of paywall is discouraging even to regular users. And it is a site with a younger audience, which makes this even more problematic.

Lastly, this suggestion is probably difficult to implement, but I'd also like to put forward the idea of having a price adjustment for international users. I'm Brazilian, and the current exchange rate makes it difficult and unrewarding to buy CC. 25 USD, for instance, is 131 BRL. I know the userbase is primarily American, but such an adjustment would very likely mean more revenue for the site.

Female
2,153 posts

prairie • 22 September 2021 at 12:02 PM

@shine
I'm happy you like these suggestions!

I do see where you're coming from with the VEND machine - but at the same time, I think its doing a great job of creating incentive to trade & preserving a bit of value to some older creatures out there. Which is why I'm not behind allowing a freedom to choose what you get from the VEND. I would likely support smaller pools of creatures or ones that have a pool of more popular/rare creatures though.

That's exactly what I was going for with the deletion of EoY resales. Being this site is aimed at a younger audience, I don't think it's good that this site revolves so much around actual money.

Hot dang I was not aware that that was that insane. That is a bit nuts. I'm not sure if that's something EggCave themselves could implement, cause I feel that is on a know your location basis and with VPNs that might get strange (though maybe they could, IDK). But I think that might be something that could be done through the service you pay with.
However, I don't know for sure if that'd happen - mainly because in the end it's up to the person getting the money. I know that as a artist who does commissions, if I'm selling commissions for 25 USD, I couldn't do that same commission for 25 BRL because I'd only get 4.75 USD. 😋

Female
9,796 posts

chapus • 29 September 2021 at 10:06 AM

@solaris I saw your comment about having to scroll down to find a creature's name-- a quick fix for that is to type the name on the keyboard and it will automatically jump to said name. 😉 Has saved me a lot of time haha.

Female
408 posts

izziedragon • 29 September 2021 at 12:18 PM

@chapus Although I can confirm this works on a computer, it does not work on mobile unfortunately.

Female
4,593 posts

mastergemma • 1 October 2021 at 7:15 AM

QoL: update friends list so we can sort through our friends easier. It would be nice to sort friends alphabetically.

I do like the end of year sale of CC pets so we can grab ones we missed out of. It also helps to keep CC prices a little lower for a tad longer than previously.

Female
244 posts

lilacblack • 2 October 2021 at 7:36 PM

@prairie this ideas are great! I think it would interesting and nice to also think about what we loved from the site when it was busier and how we can become a more active community now.

@tryvegan4theanimals

Female
2,153 posts

prairie • 18 October 2021 at 11:55 PM

Getting this on the recents again, would love to hear feedback/more ideas!!

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 19 October 2021 at 2:07 AM

I like the idea of having a large payout of EC to get some CC. Users could be able to turn in a minimum of one million EC, once a day, to get the equivalent in CC. I think that would help people want to click other's creatures even more.

With Egg Cave giving users 500 CC on it's birthday, a payout instead could be viewed as more incentive to play, instead of returning only on holidays. The payout could work like the one that occurs in the bank, that pays out EC.

I for one, am really happy that new creatures are being released monthly. I am hoping that in the future, even more creatures are added! Maybe we can all vote on anyone's creature, and then it is born on the Ark.

Female
2,153 posts

prairie • 14 December 2021 at 11:48 PM

Getting this on the Feed again

Female
574 posts

iia • 15 December 2021 at 12:27 AM

@prairie I heartily agree! All of your suggestions make sense.

Here are a few more things:
- Raise the value of creatures you can get for questing. It isn't even worth it to buy the items and then spend the time for these low value creatures. Getting a quest creature can be from 80k (at the absolute minimum) to well over 3.2M ec for ONE GAMBLE AT A CREATURE (not to mention the time you spend doing the quests)
- Do something with the bean sack. At least make a quest for it or something.
- Have a CC for EC exchange. This would promote feeding creatures AND I recall @Ian promising something like this a while back....
- Release less and/or higher quality CC travels. I would rather one stunning CC travel a month than four low detail ones. If there is any rejection to substituting quality for quantity it looks like EggCave is simply pumping out more and more stuff as a ploy to get people to spend money on EggCave (sorry, but there is no excuse.)
- Make customizing and editing more accessible. Make coves easier to sort, taking items out of strongroom easier, and make EggCode instructions more prevalent.
- Either drop bank interest or somehow make it worth it. It is such a small amount unless you have millions upon millions of EC in the bank (and then you have to remember to collect it)
- Stop acting like getting 1,794ec from the advent tree is SO MUCH and SO GENEROUS. I would almost rather it didn't give me any at all.
- Have the chance to get retired items. Ex. The advent tree seems like a perfect place to get retired travels. Just one per person per year seems fair.
- Purge dead accounts and have the creatures end up in the adoption center as fair game. Someday we are going to run out of egg names and easy to remember cove names. We need to find a safe way to get rid of the dead ones especially the ones with only commons, no eggs at all, or have declared themselves as “quit” EggCave.
- Manage the ads a little closer. I've been getting slightly inappropriate ads on Eggcave recently. Ya know though, with all of the money people spend on this game and all of the free art and suggestions that Eggcave gets you's think it could survive ad free.
-Be able to search the archives from newest to oldest rather than just alphabetically
- somehow make the donations center more of a swap center or somehow get people to stop nabbing all of the items at once.

That was more than a few.

I hope this didn't sound mean because I don't mean to be. I promise I'm nice 😊 (its also really late at night so I'm starting to loose my head)

-@iia

710 posts

nut • 15 December 2021 at 8:00 PM

this post gives me hope! I've been trying to get more active on this site since I've had an account for literally over a decade but a lot of the site's shortcomings mentioned above makes it hard to stay active. I especially, 1000% agree with the suggestion for dark mode, would make the site a lot more accessible to my tired eyes 😊 and @prairie I think the rest of your list is fantastic too. literally would love all of those things.

@iia I've had a lot of the same thoughts about questing (and the bean sack?? lol??) but I'm gonna have to disagree about the purging dead accounts. one of my favorite things is seeing users come back from the dead like when a user I last saw active in 2010 suddenly decides to return to the site. as an old user who has also gone on a really long mostly unplanned hiatus, I personally wouldn't have stayed after returning if my creatures got purged. totally understand where you're coming from though!