🌊Creature Suggestion: Coralay 🌊

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

Female
760 posts

okami • 14 October 2022 at 7:17 PM

Hello!

This is my #creaturesuggestion for a creature called the Coralay. The name is a combination of coral + ray. I cannot draw for the life of me, but hopefully the concept art gets the concept across!

Concept art: https://www.deviantart.com/blueblueblue444/art/20221014-180048-933083456

Description:

Egg:
These eggs can be found along the ocean seabed near coral reefs. It is common for small bits of coral to grow on Coralay eggs due to the outer shell almost perfectly resembling the rocks that coral typically thrive on. Once the egg hatches, the shell remains in intact pieces that coral can continue to live on for decades.

Creature:
During the first portion of their life, Coralay are very soft to the touch and vulnerable to predation. For this reason, young Coralay live in the deepest parts of coral reefs and utilize large coral structures to hide from danger. They have a symbiotic relationship with these corals and consume harmful algae blooms that would otherwise impede the coral's growth.
As Coralay age, their outer skin becomes hard and resembles a rock both in texture and appearance. At this stage in their life predation is no longer a large risk, and they begin to venture out of their coral hideaways to hunt mollusks. They are fiercely protective of the coral reefs they call home and will relentlessly fight off any threats. In recent years due to rising pollution, Coralay have begun to move coral away from polluted areas. They accomplish this by gently prying coral pieces off of rocks with their flat-ended tails and placing them onto their backs for relocation. This is a very slow process, but differences in coral distribution have already been noted by the SARC with increasingly more coral being found in clear, unpolluted waters.

1,558 posts

dragonii • 14 October 2022 at 7:57 PM

@bluewolf it looks cute! i love the description!

Female
760 posts

okami • 15 October 2022 at 12:57 AM

@dragonii

Thank you! 😃 ❤️

Female
521 posts

sapphire12 • 15 October 2022 at 10:36 AM

@bluewolf love it 😊 could be a summer creature!

Female
760 posts

okami • 15 October 2022 at 2:25 PM

@sapphire12

Thank you! ❤️ That's what I'm hoping for, I think it'd be a really fun and colorful aquatic creature!

Female
923 posts

shirothekittehlover • 17 October 2022 at 5:22 AM

@bluewolf
I love it! 😃
Would like to see it as a Cave Monthly sometime ❤️

@prairie
@ian
@snowywinter

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 17 October 2022 at 5:36 AM

@bluewolf

O.O! Want! ❤️
I second @shirothekittehlover, I would love to see this as a Monthly sometime!
(Whispers: I'd probably even pay for one if it were a Cash Shop creature.)

(Th description got me a bit sniffly. no fair! : P )

Did I mention that I want one. Like in my cove. Right now.
Gimme. *wiggly fingers*

Female
760 posts

okami • 17 October 2022 at 8:43 PM

@shirothekittehlover

Thank you ❤️ 😊

@snowywinter

Ahhhhh that makes me so happy to hear, thank you! ❤️ I put a lot of thought into the description. They're just lil' guys trying to make a difference 😊

Female
376 posts

megamisama90 • 4 January 2023 at 3:24 PM

I like this one a lot @bluewolf! It's something we don't have here and it talks about climate change. I like how the Coralay will protect the corals. This has an important message. ❤️

Pings:
@wonder404exe
@daisycat
@twinkle
(Sorry if you don't want to get pinged).

Female
1,301 posts

daisycat • 4 January 2023 at 3:52 PM

@bluewolf
Ohh this is soo cute! I love string rays. c: (My mom even made a catnip sting ray for my cat LOL.)
Safely transporting coral to a better environment? What a precious creature. ❤️
I love how the coral that grows on the eggshell can continue to grow on it even though the eggs hatches.
Your drawings are so cute; I love the blue spots and the colors of the coral, pretty!
I'd really enjoy having a Coralay as a pet in my cove! Fab idea Blue, I hope this gets implemented!

@megamisama90
Thank you for the ping! :-}

@charchill @pwuffy @moonflower @cranberrycat1 @dragrawr @pewpewkachu

Female
2,131 posts

cranberrycat1 • 4 January 2023 at 3:59 PM

@bluewolf

I really like the coral growing on the back

thank you for the ping daisy

sorry for the pings if you don't want them
@jirachiwishmaker @poserpanda

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 4 January 2023 at 6:41 PM

@bluewolf omg what an awesome suggestion 😃 do we have any sting ray creatures yet? i can't think of any so this feels super unique as well 😊 definitely an important environmental message as well as others have said! hope it gets made! ❤️

thank you @daisycat for the ping! 😊 ❤️

Female
2,550 posts

dragrawr • 4 January 2023 at 10:36 PM

@bluewolf aaaa I need one so bad

181 posts

noman15 • 4 February 2023 at 2:30 PM

Cool, the site needs more rays.

Female
393 posts

redflipflap • 4 February 2023 at 6:22 PM

This is such a cute idea. More mantas in Eggcave, I beg!! ❤️

Female
2,158 posts

prairie • 7 February 2023 at 11:03 AM

@bluewolf
I really love this idea a ton. ❤️ Also we don't have any/a ton of mantas here on Egg Cave and its totally high time!
I'd love to see this in a tropical/Ocean themed month in the summertime.

Pings:
@iia
@chapus
@ian
@poe

Female
574 posts

iia • 7 February 2023 at 11:15 AM

@bluewolf *Ghasp* I LOVE manta rays! @Ian I would love to see this be a new EC creature 😊

Female
9,796 posts

chapus • 7 February 2023 at 11:24 AM

@bluewolf ooo yes i love this!!! i also agree we need more Manta Rays on this website

Female
1,826 posts

poe • 7 February 2023 at 10:44 PM

@bluewolf I do love a good ray! It's very cute. I definitely agree with everyone else that more rays are required on site!

Female
760 posts

okami • 10 May 2023 at 2:16 PM

I'm VERY delayed on replies, very sorry, but I wanted to bump this back up with summer coming around soon! 😊 (I have since changed my username from bluewolf to okami)!

@megamisama90 @daisycat @cranberrycat1 @dragrawr @noman15 @redflipflap @iia @chapus @poe
Thank you so much for your nice comments! ❤️

@pwuffy @prairie
Yes we currently don't have any sting/manta ray creatures on egg cave! I'd love to see more of those types of creatures, they're so cute and interesting irl!

Female
2,550 posts

dragrawr • 10 May 2023 at 2:17 PM

@okami still rooting for yours too !

Female
2,922 posts

heatherm19 • 10 May 2023 at 4:06 PM

@okami I *love* this!!
(I know I've seen this topic before but apparently didn't post oops!)

The ray looks soooo cute in your drawings, I really really would love to have one (or a few...). I love how the baby looks so different to go along with the description, and awwwww they are saving the coral! ❤️

Female
9,796 posts

chapus • 10 May 2023 at 9:35 PM

@okami cute, i like the colors! c: would be a lovely summer time critter

Other
136 posts

pauloacacio • 11 May 2023 at 5:41 AM

It's just beautiful! ❤️

Female
760 posts

okami • 16 June 2023 at 4:26 PM

I've been off and on due to irl things, but thank you for the nice comments and support ❤️

Non-binary
2,819 posts

lunacharm1037 • 16 June 2023 at 5:37 PM

❤️ Beautiful ❤️

Male
3 posts

gigachad • 1 July 2023 at 12:20 PM

Ahaha Good Morning, Also very nice 😃

65 posts

pinkhanni • 6 July 2023 at 7:54 AM

super cuteeeee!!

Male
93 posts

matcha • 6 July 2023 at 9:48 AM

Love this creature idea! I really like rays so would love to have this 😊

320 posts

chihiro_sang • 6 July 2023 at 11:51 AM

Cool, it seems like a good late summer idea.