πŸ¦– MESOZOIC MAY πŸ¦• - Suggestion: The Ceratorchid

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

Other
3,224 posts

pipkitten • 11 February 2024 at 11:20 PM

πŸ¦– MESOZOIC MAY πŸ¦• - Suggestion: The Ceratorchid

This Mesozoic May suggestion is brought to you by myself and @Poe!
Idea dreamed up by both of us, sketch & description done by Poe, and lines & colors done by me!

IMAGE LINK: https://www.deviantart.com/roki-ziro/art/Eggcave-Creature-Suggestion-the-Ceratorchid-1020199478

Key note about the suggestion: This creature draws inspiration from a combined love of dinosaurs and orchids! Specifically, you might already recognize the ceratopsid influence (Nasutoceratops), but you may not be familiar with the orchid of inspiration, Lepanthes lucifer (so named for the petals shaped like horns).

Height: 0.15 m; Weight: 0.50 kg

About Ceratorchid Eggs:
It's nighttime, in a garden just like yours. All is quiet... Or is it?

About the Ceratorchid creature:
The Ceratorchid is found primarily throughout the cloud forests of central Ark. Diminutive in size, they are perfectly suited to hiding in dense foliage and mossy nooks. They thrive within this cool, humid domain with few predators, snacking on sap, lichen, and moss, as they mosey along.

Ceratorchids are very timid creatures and are rarely seen. Don’t be fooled by their calm and stately appearance, when threatened they are formidable creatures among others of their size. With tough horns and a sharp beak, they manage a serious offence despite their small stature. When the opportunity arises, such as a pet door, the Ceratorchid loves to steal chips, raisins, and crumbs from peanut butter on toast left out in the kitchen. They build their nests in mossy areas, and in more urban spaces they have been caught using lost mittens, dryer lint, and bits of string. They love a cozy nap.

Historically, they suffered from poaching, resulting in their early demise. When poachers found Ceratorchid populations, they would destroy the area so no other poachers could benefit from them. Now, the citizens of Ark have acted through collective organization to put a stop to poaching and habitat destruction. The remaining Ceratorchids in captivity have flourished in greenhouses and even adapted to life outside their native cloud forests, proving a surprising resilience. So long as the humidity is right, they happily sneak through mossy gardens around Ark. The SARC has reported a slow but steady recovery of the original population.

PINGS:
@prairie
@redflipflap
@bunnyshadow

#CreatureSuggestion #MesozoicMay #Ceratorchid

Female
2,564 posts

dragrawr • 11 February 2024 at 11:31 PM

@pipkitten SHAKING WITH DELIGHT. THE DINO HOARD IS HERE. THEY NEED TO BE CONTAINED… and created on the site

This baby is just too cute oh my great heavens !! πŸ–€πŸ™

Agender
109 posts

silvia • 12 February 2024 at 1:25 AM

*Jurassic Park's soundtrack is suddenly put on*

I'm loving so much all these dino suggestions these days, and this one shines especially for the amazing design (its just so realistic, and the colors are spot on!) and also for the incredibly well-written and well-thought description. What else there is to say, I'd love to see a few of these strolling in my garden. 😚

Female
395 posts

redflipflap • 12 February 2024 at 9:18 AM

In Love, obsessed, need it like yesterday πŸ¦• #mesozoicmay

Pings bc 😊
@provo7demons
@wonder404exe
@shelbert67

Non-binary
1,439 posts

provo7demons • 12 February 2024 at 1:23 PM

@pipkitten FLOWER DINO!! The detail on this is AMAZING! I love the colors, I love flowers, I love dinosaurs- I need 50 of these in my cove asap

Female
1,757 posts

lexicon • 12 February 2024 at 3:24 PM

@pipkitten I audibly gasped when I saw this!!!! 😱 I LOVE dinos and I LOVE plants so this is a A+ suggestion to me!

@hikanu you must see this❀️

1,134 posts

hikanu • 12 February 2024 at 3:31 PM

An orchid dinosaur... I need this and I need it now!

We must have a dino month. Please give us a dino month!!

@lexicon Thanks for the ping. πŸ˜ƒ

1,629 posts

icecloud101 • 12 February 2024 at 4:11 PM

@pipkitten i love how colorful it is, and how the expression looks very sweet 😊 hoping for a dino month!

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 12 February 2024 at 5:59 PM

@pipkitten

lol I love the about egg.

Female
2,157 posts

prairie • 12 February 2024 at 7:15 PM

@pipkitten @poe
Y'all did such an amazing job on the design and the COLORS of these.
The color palette in particular is so unique. Baby stage has my heart ❀️

323 posts

chihiro_sang • 13 February 2024 at 8:52 AM

It's a very pretty dinosaur pet.

Female
2,446 posts

ida92 • 13 February 2024 at 9:17 AM

@pipkitten I need this creature so badly! ❀️ I'm in love with the colours. ❀️ DINOS FOREVER

736 posts

nut • 13 February 2024 at 11:28 AM

adore how hard you guys went on this, love the exact scientific references. ALSO freaking love that you guys made it a tiny guy ;-; I was imagining a giant dino but the description makes it much better.

Female
1,827 posts

poe • 13 February 2024 at 7:39 PM

I think Pip is busy and I need forum posts, so here we go...

@dragrawr It was super important we made the baby stage cute so I'm glad that worked out LOL Thanks! We love dinos and really wanna see more kinds of them on the site!

@silvia Thanks so much for the kind words! Realism's more my speed, so bless Pip for accepting that while lining haha... The description was inspired by the history of orchid collecting as well as the plant's natural habitat. And the infamous House Hippo.

@redflipflap ❀️ ❀️ ❀️

@provo7demons Thank you! Pip did such a good job on the colours I cry daily.

@lexicon High five! Dinos and plants are the best for sure. Thanks for the support!

@hikanu Fingers crossed for dino month, I just need more dinos lol thanks for posting!

@icecloud101 We're glad the expression came across well, thanks so much!

@bunnyshadow πŸ˜‹

@prairie You can thank nature for creating a cool colour palette haha we worked hard on that and you should've seen my scrapped together squiggles trying to communicate my thoughts on that. Pip did amazing like what a hero tbh

@chihiro_sang Thank you πŸ˜ƒ

@ida92 We worked hard to get the colours to represent the inspiration well, so we super appreciate hearing that! Thanks! DINOS FOREVER ❀️

@nut Thank youuuuu of course we nerded out hardcore on this LOL. Orchid is smol so I thought it would be cute if dino was smol. And then it reminded me of the House Hippo and there we have it.

Female
894 posts

murfijs • 14 February 2024 at 3:34 AM

@pipkitten
i love this dinosaur creature ❀️

Other
3,224 posts

pipkitten • 14 February 2024 at 11:48 AM

@murfijs
Glad to hear!! Poe and I worked very hard on it, and we're so jazzed people love the Ceratorchid! πŸ˜ƒ

Female
1,827 posts

poe • 18 February 2024 at 4:18 PM

Hopefully you don't mind the pings, feel free to ignore! I just didn't see any no ping notes.
@lutienlovemagic @thedarkarcher @anarchy @r4tt33th @spacebunny @xmar_27 @queueyou @komore

Female
26 posts

xmar_27 • 18 February 2024 at 4:21 PM

Ooh its really nice, love the first stage a lot!

Female
4 posts

queueyou • 18 February 2024 at 5:09 PM

thank you for the ping @poe ! both of you guys did AMAZING on ceratorchid! especially the design! the last stage looks absolutely adorable πŸ₯Ί i just want to hug it!!! AND its the most beautiful plant based?!?! you guys went all out and i strive for it πŸ¦•πŸ’šπŸ’œ

Female
1,827 posts

poe • 18 February 2024 at 6:04 PM

@xmar_27 Thank you! ❀️

@queueyou Glad you enjoy it! We are really nerdy about our plants and dinos. Lepanthes are super underrated. Thanks for the kind words!

1,039 posts

anarchy • 18 February 2024 at 7:27 PM

@poe thanks for the ping! i really love this, the progression of the colors and the blooming flowers throughout the stages is super cool, especially the little detail of the purple from the orchid leaves also manifesting on the dino's body. i think baby stage is my favorite but i love the color palette of the final stage too. this would be so perfect for a dino-themed month or even spring! ❀️

Demigirl
1 post

r4tt33th • 18 February 2024 at 7:54 PM

@poe Awesome little dino creature you've created! I love the colors 😊

Female
1,827 posts

poe • 19 February 2024 at 10:00 PM

@anarchy Thank you for such a kind compliment! I appreciate that you noticed the details we worked hard on! Here's hoping we can get a dino month, it seems like people are really into having more dinos on the site.

@r4tt33th Thanks a bunch! Pip did a great job with the colours ❀️

182 posts

noman15 • 4 March 2024 at 12:02 PM

Very colorful, hope this ceratops gets made.

Female
1,827 posts

poe • 4 March 2024 at 10:53 PM

@noman15 Thank you! Lots of colour felt right for a flowery dino, so we sure had fun with it!

Female
2,157 posts

prairie • 11 March 2024 at 4:25 PM

Still love this suggestion. ❀️
I feel like off the top of my head we don't have enough triceratops.
(sure, we got the qutten but.....)

I, again, love the colors on this!! The purple makes it stand out and is a bit more unique than what I see with most! It feels alot more bold and I love it!

Female
1,827 posts

poe • 31 March 2024 at 9:07 PM

@prairie the real mvp for bumping this! I agree we need more triceratops! Still wishing and hoping for a dino month hnnnnngh