an unofficial species rerelease discussion

in Site Feedback & Ideas

creature rerelease?

Female
258 posts

spectaclenest • 3 December 2016 at 1:15 PM

ah i'm absolutely over the moon that this has so much discussion in it ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ thank you all from the bottom of my heart for putting so much time and thought into your posts everyone, your politeness and intelligence proves what an incredible community we have!
so many wonderful suggestions! i have an essay to do so i will have to wait to respond to each of you until i can put as much care into it as you all have your posts!
THANK YOU LOVELY PEOPLE ❤️

Female
398 posts

deku • 3 December 2016 at 1:46 PM

@spectaclenest

Hi guys!

I saw something about purging, and I for one am quite a bit against it. I've been on Egg Cave for 6 years now and am one of the older users. I got busy and left my account for 1-2 years, but I DID come back because it IS possible to come back. It would be very down-putting if I came back to find out that Account Purging was a thing when there's still a very real chance that people come back.

That's just my opinion considering that I'm one of those that went on an accidental hiatus and came back after a long time.

As for re-releasing, as an old Egg Cave user, I actually am very much FOR it. I'd like to see the Onny go into circulation and I am guilty of over-pricing some creatures, but at times I've also UNDER-sold creatures. I have all the creatures I have because I really liked their design and don't plan on trading away a vast majority of what i have because I like the aesthetics of creatures.

I DON'T think Egg Cave should cater to the old users. They have the advantage 'cause they can charge whatever they like and that needs to change. It's like ripping a bandage off quickly and Egg Cave needs to retain users instead of the ones with the advantage -- where THEY have fun because they have creatures that people seek. It's more fun to trade with EVERYONE compared to a few, right?

I spent a lot of money on my current cove, especially to get Foo since I love them so much. The re-release of the Foo was the BEST thing to happen, honestly. The prices didn't change much, but I appreciated getting more of a creature I ADORE.

It's just a little odd to spend money for pixelated creatures. People should not be spending as much as they do to have a cove to "brag" about. Regulated re-release of creatures I greatly support because I wouldn't mind accepting LESS for "rarer" creatures. It just means I can trade more often and have more fun. The Egg Cave Economy needs to go down. People spend more [ which benefits Egg Cave itself ] to get rare creatures, but that honestly needs to change. Sure people spend more now to get more, but if MORE people can spend money for CC because more users are being retained [ because they feel they can get more than just common "free" creatures no one wants to trade for ], then that means more money is circulated.

So I support this idea -- maybe not as "free" as it sounds, but having a very limited number of creatures re-released sounds good to me. It's unacceptable that Egg Cave says it should "NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN." People invest money and it comes and goes. It's YOUR choice to spend so much on something that doesn't exactly directly benefit your life. Prices are unrealistic, and that honestly needs to change considering there ARE inactive coves who might hold a majority of a creature that alters price already.

So I support re-release, even if I spent a lot of money on creatures. People have to get over if what they paid doesn't work in their favor. Give others a chance to rise up, so there can be more FUN. It benefits EVERYONE.

Female
337 posts

bingo • 4 December 2016 at 11:10 AM

As a new user, I support the idea of a very limited and controlled re-release. Part of the fun is having retired and unobtainable creatures, yes, but what happens if nine, ten years have past since a release and all the creatures end up on inactive accounts and it goes virtually extinct? People working hard to get it, even when willing to pay good CC for them, will never EVER obtain one.

That's why I think at least throwing some more into the market will keep the creatures circulating rather than becoming stagnant. Most people against re-releases will be opposed because they don't want the creatures devalued, but if there aren't any in the market to begin with, what's the upheaval about anyway?

As for people that would become unhappy because they worked hard and paid XX amount for their rare creature, well that was their decision to make when they spent all that time/money for a creature. The same devaluing would happen if an old user suddenly returned who had accumulated 100+ Doovoos or something and started selling them for 500 CC.

It's like when you're trying to buy something irl and you get it on sale and are super happy about the good deal, but as soon as you have one yourself you want the price to go up because THEN you have something worth a lot of money! Muwahaha!

Female
2,299 posts

metaphor • 4 December 2016 at 10:32 PM

As I posted on the V3 thread:

I see both sides of the argument. I am a long(ish)time player. Honestly, a lot of my cove is the result of being here at the right time (i.e., when certain popular creatures were released or at least relatively new and as a result not totally unobtainable). My Onny, on the other hand, did cost quite a bit: several higher-end CC creatures (Biwo, Armnae, Guinstar and more) + some really great names (like Candy, Asia, Gold, etc). I didn't really have a problem with that, as the Onny was something I really wanted. And I do think that rare retired creatures should be harder to obtain (especially if they at one point cost real money). I'd also probably be a little annoyed if one day Onnies were released for 500 CC for a whole month, as though they were any other monthly.

THAT SAID, I do not think that totally disregarding the idea of re-releases is within Egg Cave's best interest. It's not even really just a fairness issue so much as it is a practicality one. As you said, OP, when you look at all the creatures that have ever been available on Egg Cave and then look at the number currently available to anyone who just joined--most creatures are off-limits to newer users, even if they somehow were able to fork over $100+ today. Not to mention, getting all the cave commons is relatively easy. Even LEs--for the current month and for those from months past--can be obtained with little to no effort. And once a newbie does that, what else is there really left to do other than sit at the Oasis or Thief Shop or Asteroid and hope for the best? The SAR offers some nice creatures for those willing to save up EC; I think Egg Cave's effort to incentivize it as an EC sink of sorts has really helped. But even once you get all those creatures, it's not exactly easy to "trade up"--and that's where the whole community has become a somewhat polarized old vs. new players ordeal. That's what I mean when I say that leaving these creatures to disappear from the market entirely is not sustainable longterm: it closes out a substantial number of players from a significant portion of the site (the creatures that are not currently available or at least not plentiful in supply). Moreover, I can imagine a newbie being somewhat put off by Egg Cave touting itself as a free adoptables site--unless you want a creature that is more than 2+ years old and was somewhat rare. Then that'll be at least $20, please. I don't think most people believe that these creatures should be handed to them. I think most are willing to put in the effort to have a chance at a dreamie. But paying $100 or more isn't really putting in effort so much as it is investing a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, I've done that too and think such players are valuable, as they keep the site running. But understand that not everybody has the means to do this. I imagine that there is a fun, challenging and inclusive way to introduce a limited quantity of retired creatures to the market.

I don't really have a solution myself. Many have already offered several that I find fair, fun, and practical. I like the idea of having some Cash Shop perk for the retired CCs--say, a Thief Shop of sorts where you have a small chance of stumbling across a mystery egg that will be filled with some retired CC. Or having some sort of antique shop that rotates its stock every once in a while and offers creatures in very limited quantities for a substantial amount of CC (more than they were when they were initially released, but nowhere near the unofficial asking price on user market).

Old LE creatures are a little trickier. You can't just throw those in the Cash Shop and call it a day, as I can see that causing some sore feelings about favoring paying players. And I wouldn't advocate just tossing them back into the cave either; that would do damage to their value long term. But I am convinced there is a way to do it that will both make the creatures more obtainable for newer users and leave them incredibly valuable. It's important to remember that if a creature is in incredibly high demand and is not common as dirt, it WILL retain its value--supply and demand. So if a couple Foos are re-released by some practical means, I wouldn't count on their value instantly plummeting. Most people who get lucky enough to snag one probably wouldn't be so hasty to trade it away. If they did, they'd want to make sure they were getting something of equal value. Thus, the economy works as it should.

A final thought: I am also kind of put off by the idea of taking creatures from inactive accounts and redistributing them. I feel like a hypocrite for feeling like that because I've proposed a name clearing idea before. But because of how EC functions as a game, I've come to see how even that might create an uneasy environment. I play sites that do things like that: make it clear that if you are inactive for so long, you risk losing your account, your pets, and your pet names and username. Generally, I am in favor of it, if we're talking the traditional pet site model. When people leave these sites for 2 or more years, they likely aren't coming back. And if they do, they usually don't remember the password to their old account--at least in my experience.

Egg Cave, though, is somewhat different from the traditional pet site, in that there isn't much to do in terms of game play (although that may well be changing in V3). People collect the creatures they want and then leave and check back in only once in a while because they've done what they have to do. However, they tend to grow very attached to their cove and put a lot of effort into determining what they want to collect. I'm not saying that these things aren't true for more traditional pet sites as well (most do have gallery features after all; not to mention, people put a lot of effort into their pets' characters and profiles). With those sites, though, people typically stick to one or two areas of interest and then eventually drift away. I do think that a year is too short a time period to determine a person will never come back. A lot can happen in a year. I'd say give it 18 months at least. But even then, it just doesn't sit well with me to start taking people's creatures (and yes, even names now that I think of it, even though I've taken my share of names on Subeta) because you deem yourself more worthy of them. Names, though, I think are a little easier to deal with because you can easily look up who has a name and politely ask if they'd be willing to trade it or adopt the pet out. With creatures, people change their names and all kinds of stuff. It would just get very tricky. So I too have mixed feelings on the purge issue.

My two cents.

Female
1,422 posts

rashka • 15 December 2016 at 7:02 PM

@spectaclenest

i'm for the rerelease! 😋

and i thought they could use the advent tree to do so, on one day we could get a random old pet like from start to 2012 for exemple.

in that way, i'm pretty sure they will be able to control the releasing! 😃

Female
1,967 posts

novrain62 • 22 December 2016 at 4:47 AM

I am on a few writing sites and if you do NOT sign in and be active, at least once in a year, you loose everything and you are warned! That includes anything you spent money on!

Other web sites like to purge their accounts to free up space. So there are how many coves untouched and even empty on Egg Cave and yet, they remain. It's actually many many! To purge accounts is actually fair. If it was my own web site, I would have this policy and it would keep Egg Cave statistics correct, because in actuality, they are not!

There may be 1 billion users on "paper" but 1/2 of those are 'dead' users/coves. Just saying ..

The OWNER of the Site has the right to do as they see fit. If you cannot participate in the game, then free up the creatures to be recirculated. It's better than watching them die in coves that have been abandoned!

For players that have passed away (and there are a few) there could be an option for the family to put that cove into a memorial. I have suggested this in the past. Users have the right to have their accounts deleted. In that case, their creatures could be recirculated.

PS. If you care about your creatures/cove, then asking you to SIGN IN ONCE per year is Nothing! Surely at some point in the Year, a person can take 2 minutes out of their time, to do that.

I believe it should be policy. If you care about your cove, that's the LEAST you can do! People need to be held accountable for their coves/actions.

This is my last post on this subject. Good luck with all your suggestions and wishes!!

Female
2,200 posts

thedarkarcher • 23 December 2016 at 8:10 AM

I was thinking that maybe like the advent tree one creature is given per person ranging from cave monthlies to CSP then rarity isn't affected much but it does allow the newer player to get a chance of obtaining them and older players trading for the ones they want if they do get it.

Edit notices that @rashka has the same idea after I wrote this lol.

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 24 December 2016 at 3:11 AM

Honestly, what if there were a range of creatures that were rereleased? Like creatures that are rank 251-300 on the popularity ranking thing. You know in the archives that little population of creature chart? What if creatures in that rank box can be rereleased?

Edit: holy cow that would overthrow the economy, as Balrogipuwet, Fourbon, Kektron, and so many others are in that bracket. Make it like 175-200.

105 posts

maleficent • 24 December 2016 at 11:03 AM

I'm all for it and and always have been. Gave my reasons on the topic that is linked 😊

Female
3,800 posts

sparklefox • 25 December 2016 at 6:06 PM

@spectaclenest - I, for one, really support the idea of re-release days / events for older creatures, and always have! Unfortunately, a lot of people care a little too much about the value of their precious pixels...

You're making me feel bad over the older member comments. I'm sure we're not all like that with creatures... are we? Haha.

Non-binary
3,621 posts

asi • 25 December 2016 at 7:44 PM

I am in favor of re-releasing... But only in a very controlled and limited way, preferably limited per user, in quests, etc.

Purging seems like only a temporary solution to me. Of retired pets, there is a finite number on the site. So putting them out would increase the number in circulation... But after the initial bump, their availability would continue to sink as users decide to keep them, and the population of Eggcave presumably continues to grow. And the results of subsequent purges would be much less. So in essence, a purge system would benefit most the people who happened to be around for the first purge, and the new users who come after, not so much.

I think you need to release newly generated old pets in order to sustainably cater to the new users. But we all want new users to work hard for these pets, so what I'd like to back would be something akin to a "ranked quest system". I don't know if this has been suggested before, but it would evaluate users based on their activity- counting how many pets you've feed, clicked, viewed, posts in the forums, how much EC you've donated, and how long you've been around for- and give a ranking accordingly, e.g. top 15% (That's important because it would limit the creatures available, but proportionally to users online). Then you could undertake a quest for a pet of your choice from the corresponding value bracket.

Okay, I'm aware such a system would be insanely complex, from dividing up creature values for quest availability. If you did that by population, then everyone gaining more Onnies through quests would make Onnies very common, and pets people like least the rarest. And it would motivate people to seriously sink their time into an adoptables game... I'm sure there are many other flaws I haven't thought of yet, but this is the kind of solution I'd happily throw my weight behind. Because it would promise to new users "you can definitely get the pet you want more than anything if play for this long, feed so many pets, participate this much in the community". It would guarantee achievability, but make sure that it IS an achievement when obtained.

This all said, I don't like to think of Eggcave as a backwards-looking site, where everything's about obtaining the "old" pets, because you looked through the archives and or an old cove and saw something with nice artwork that tragically, you can't get anymore. Trying to obtain old pets is a challenge many enjoy, but it's not what Eggcave is supposed to be fueled by. Most importantly, users should look at the new and upcoming pets and be excited about those. Otherwise, once they obtain the old pets, why stay really?

Eggcave is like an ever-expanding universe of pets. They're constantly putting out new pets, showcasing new art, in the hope that some appeals to you. That's how Eggcave functions at the moment. The current model is one that accepts that old pets will become practically unobtainable. Reworking this system will be a huge change, and not one to be done lightly... That's all I have to say~.

Tl;dr = activity-based ranked quests to obtain old pets?
and Eggcave's like: guys stoppp with the pining over old pets, here, have some flashy new ones!! X'''3

Demiboy
2,368 posts

ethereality • 25 December 2016 at 7:55 PM

@spectaclenest I'm sorry, but I have to say -- I'm totally against this. This idea is horrible, of re-releasing 25 creatures a year. Especially if can be any creature of Eggcave's choice.

I think the value system is very fair, but I agree that there should be a method in which newbies can get their first CSP (implementing perhaps a "SAR Monthly" and Actually bringing back Limited Edition Creatures (that's how I got my CSPs, stealing LEs from cave like Engel, Bessy, etc., and then trading those for CC) -- but it shouldn't be so easy for newbies to get their hands on i.e. a Doovoo.

What we do need though is a way to cycle rare creatures back into circulation so that they do NOT become "virtually" extinct. Your suggested way is a horrible way off putting rare creatures back into circulation. It would uncontrollably rocket populations of creatures like Doovoo's and Macbot's.

A good way to cycle rare creatures back into circulation is perhaps a Lelia Oasis/Thief Shop feature in which maybe you pay 200 cc to enter and there is a specific chance that you can get any creature in the entire Eggcave, and this chance would be based on the creature index (Tasma would have the most chance, and Soetzals would be virtually unobtainable, like 1 in 1000 chance or something like that)

Female
238 posts

loveunicorns2223 • 10 January 2017 at 9:30 PM

@spectaclenest
I love this idea! I came here in early 2013, and would take very many breaks throughout the first couple years. I even when offline for around a year, and regret doing so because I missed having the chance to get some cool creatures! I am completely FOR the re-releases of creatures, especially ones that are older, because there are a lot of new users or just people who weren't online at the time (like myself) that missed the opportunity.

Female
280 posts

naturegirl1999 • 20 January 2017 at 10:16 PM

Maybe they could redo old events!plots for the creatures that were in the event/plot

Female
1,783 posts

skyfall4 • 19 February 2017 at 7:25 PM

Not really sure because:
1) For players without cc and will never get the cc, this would't be really fair
2) For younger players who spent a lot, if those creatures were to be released again, quite a rip-off
3) What happened to the creature's value? They retire for a reason....

Female
170 posts

muppet • 23 February 2017 at 2:07 PM

Hi I have been on here for over 5 years. I just this last year aquired my Doovoo. It took me over 3years to get my Onny. I traded a ton of my 'super-rares' to get the Doovoo. Very expensive to get both of those & all but impossible now.

However, I am all for re-releasing the old retired creatures including Doovoo & Onny. Yes my creatures would lose value, right now if I put them up for trade I could ask for anything & get it. That's a tad ridiculous in my opinion.

Eggcave should re-release the older creatures so everyone can get the chance to not have to wait years & years trying to get a dream creature & still never get one because they are so rare that no-one will part with them!

I've seen people quit eggcave after being on here for 2+years because they have no hope to afford their dream creature or no-one will give them up.

I don't agree with cove purging no matter how much I can't stand it when I see Onny, Doovoo & Tine just sitting there abandoned.

People do come back. I was gone for a few months due to real life issues. My daughter @armageddondoll , was gone even longer (well over a year) & just recently came back.

I believe all older retired creatures should come back into the Cash Shop each month, for only 1 month, preferably the month that they were originally released in, so everyone can get a chance to get them.

Also there should be a limit of 5 retired creature purchases per month per main account. No side accounts allowed.
Violation could be whatever ones you purchased on the side account get removed with no refund & a 1 month suspension of CC privileges?

Those are just my opinions.
Some pings for opinions on the matter:

@poof
@lynncrow
@mairbear
@silverserpent

Cis Female
620 posts

armageddondoll • 23 February 2017 at 3:03 PM

Hi there Cavers. 😊

I really do like the idea of re-release some of the now unobtainable creatures. When I first started one of the only creatures I desperately wanted was a Gobbler and even then, it was a matter of people simply didn't want to trade theirs away, which I understand. It took me quite a long time and a few moments of despair before I finally got one. The same story can be told by many new users who see creatures from years ago that become their dream creature, but there are so few left that are with people who would actually trade them.

There are a lot of creatures in my cove that I could never part with no matter the offer, and there are many others with the same situation, which drastically limits the chances of new players or even longer playing players of getting their dream creature which can be extremely disheartening.

I think making games or events where old creatures are a prize could be interesting and keep the site active and fun. Even if the game or event lasted only a few days, it would be enough get some of the unobtainables into circulation to give people a chance.

On the flip side, I can't say that I agree with cove purging. I was gone for nearly 2 years because of real life happenings that kept me from getting on. Pregnancy, having a baby, moving, and more right after another. All of it kept me off of here and if I had come back to my cove to find it gone because it was out of my control to get on here, I would have been completely devastated. Thankfully, I had let my mom know and she was able to keep my cove alive until life has calmed down enough for me to come back.

But back to re-releasing, a game, event, or even a limited time in the Cash Shop would be the best idea to me. Limit it to one or two of a certain creature and main accounts only. Or as @muppet suggested, a limit of 5 retired creature purchases per month. With that, we could have an on site calendar that shows when certain retired creatures will be available to get, that would give users the chance to save up before they're gone again.

Will it lessen the value? A little. But I have seen people throw their entire coves at other people for the mere chance at an Onny or a Tine, or other unobtainable creatures. Which personally, I think, is pretty ridiculous and far too much power. I'm not saying rerelease them until they have the value of a recent CRW creature. But long enough for people to have an actual chance to get one.

Just my thoughts on the matter 😸

Female
416 posts

icedmagma • 23 February 2017 at 3:33 PM

As a fairly new user, I am pro re-releasing older unobtainable creatures, and I do think this can be done without having a drastic impact on the rarity/value of those creatures.
I know one site I am on re-releases older creatures once a year at the end of the year. Each user gets two creatures, and one or both of them can be one of any of the older creatures. This is one idea that I see works well enough. Another idea could be to have an event or quest type of release, and do a limited release of creatures through that.
I don't know how either of these ideas would work for EggCave, but I'm sure there's a way to release some creatures in a limited fashion without completely ruining their values

Female
1,589 posts

flowerlynx • 9 March 2017 at 4:30 PM

I've been on eggcave almost a year. Opinion wise, I think re-releasing creatures is an excellent idea. So long, anyways, that the rarity of these creatures doesn't go down, I am perfectly fine with it. For example, a Tine, are extremely difficult to get, maybe even impossible. Due to this I would enjoy having the Tine or another rare creature (A Doovoo, or something like that as well) released so that more users could enjoy having a dream pet in their cove. For me, it is very difficult to find my own dream creaures, much less own them. I like with @icedmagma's idea that each user could get a rare or hard to get creature or two each year, maybe at the advent tree or another event.

I wouldn't mind having to earn them in an event, either. For example, after finding so many gobblers you can unlock a creature that's rare or retired.

This would have to be extremely limited. I don't want 100 users each year running around with a Tine, that would be unfair for the people that paid real money to get themselves a creature on the site.

In short, I want re-releases to happen, but I want the number of creatures released again to be very limited. Maybe even down to one per user.

Non-binary
1,218 posts

degong • 10 March 2017 at 8:31 PM

Everyone is worried about creature values going down, the Eggcave economy going out of wack, and other similar issues. While I myself wouldn't mind a redistribution, my brain has been a thinking.

A lot of your concerns have been around the lowering of value, like if 500 Shaibuns, Doovoos, and Tines were introduced in the Thief Shop or something, then it would disrupt the value. While I don't think that would necessarily happen, people are very anxious about this and I don't think this should go forth without at least a 99% approval rating.

An idea I came up with might be a little outrageous at first, but stick with me. What if users were able to choose any creature they would like as a prize for, say, an event. I know, I know, sounds ridiculous, but just wait.

The creature you chose would be impossible to trade, abandon, or auction off. It could die, but I don't think that would affect any creature values. This creature would not contribute to the "creature index", as the number will be unaffected. This could be represented/shown on the creature like how a freeze would. That way, everyone knew that creature was untradeable.

This idea would solve all of your concerns, and help give all users an equal chance of obtaining their dreamies. All it would take is hard work and being active on Eggcave.

3,057 posts

jirachiwishmaker • 10 March 2017 at 8:44 PM

@spectaclenest

OMG this sounds so exciting! I already have in mind which creatures I'd love to see again. If you take a look at wishlist creatures most ppl would love to have certain ones. And I usually see the wants can't be met by any needs. Since the supply of that creature is already retired. And many times I've looked thru the search trades and you reach a point of zero finding nothing of that creature for trade ever! So this is a very good idea.

Male
660 posts

brad • 10 March 2017 at 9:44 PM

There are so many creatures that I'd love to have that I'll never have. But I'm okay with that. More creatures will come out overtime that I like and I will be able to get.
And this is true for anyone, whenever they join.

CC is real life money. There is no other way of getting it other than spending real money for it. It is just real money.
With that being said, you cannot just go a re-release creatures. There are creatures traded for 10k+ cc... that's $100. A lot of money.

If you start doing re-releases, creature values will drop. People who have spent tons of real life money will not be happy. They will quit. It won't be good for the site. It's too late in the site's life to start doing re-releases.

Now, if you wanted to start doing it, you could start at a certain point, and have it be known the all future creatures will be release again. That way people know what is happening with their real life money when they spend it.

Female
1,105 posts

icesparkle22 • 11 March 2017 at 12:25 AM

I am for and against re-releases. New users, yes immediately see the creature of their dreams and set out hunting for it. Days, weeks, months, even as much as seven years may go by. In that time, they make new friends and gain new creatures as well as experience. Re-releasing a creature takes away form the fun of trading, even if the user is extremely impatient to get one. But why be impatient? Things take time. Also, if newer users complain that they can't get, like a Tine after their first day and expect for Tines to come spilling out of a sack, that's pretty lazy. My idea is, once a year there could be some lottery thing, where five top voted creatures and one participation creature that is not as rare as a Tine will be released. All active users will immediately recieve a raffle spot, and the lucky five will recieve the top creatures in order. Then, everyone else will get the participation creature, which could be like a Ornisment or any other old CSP but won't soar in values. Everyone has the chance to get those creatures, and everyone will get a creature in the end. Also, the raffle spots should be limited to one a person, to stop older users from buying tons of tickets above newer users. That's my idea lol XD bad but whatevs

Female
1,589 posts

flowerlynx • 11 March 2017 at 1:27 AM

@degong
I actually really love the idea. That way, you could have a dream creture, but it'd be impossible to trade off. It is very creative as well as thoughtful.

Pangender
2,149 posts

sky • 11 April 2017 at 4:26 PM

I'm for and against re-releasing creatures. However I'm going to agree with @Motivecat

"What we do need though is a way to cycle rare creatures back into circulation so that they do NOT become "virtually" extinct. Your suggested way is a horrible way off putting rare creatures back into circulation. It would uncontrollably rocket populations of creatures like Doovoo's and Macbot's."

My long and inevitable seemingly impossible goal that I've had here since I began was to own one of every creature. However, there are a couple of creatures that are practically unobtainable, priceless, extinct. Because there's only two ways to go about these specific creatures:

1) They aren't up for trade by the owner
2) They're on an inactive account

However, if they were to decide to make any decision on re-releasing. It still should be difficult to obtain that not everyone is capable of obtaining even then.

1) if Egg Cave were to release one of these creatures once a month for a period of two days (on a weekend) in the Cash Shop for a really high price, such as $100 worth of CC.

Of course that price seems like a ridiculous amount, but I know dedication and drive goes a long way. I've been on various virtual pet websites to know and see that people do have the willingness to pour out $40-$5,000 (yes, five thousand dollars) over one pixel. People in the past that I've witnessed here have basically thrown $100 worth of creatures for one of these rare creatures.

With that I'm sure there will be few users who would be willing to pay up the cash, leaving the majority to work off what they have to trade for it. I don't necessarily think that by doing this the creatures value wont heavily decrease, but to put them back into circulation.

2) An event plot, everyone can participate, however only the first 20 or so users to solve/complete the plot obtain the creature. Any other participants will still win prizes.

Demiboy
2,368 posts

ethereality • 11 April 2017 at 7:18 PM

@sky I totally agree ❤️ Your methods are really cool!

Female
311 posts

quetzalcoatl • 11 April 2017 at 10:50 PM

@sky

I agree 100% Those methods sound like great ones. Because a creature re-release needs to be controlled for sure. otherwise, those users who slaved and sacrificed alot to get those dream "rares" ... will most likely get upset (i know i would in that case)... as it makes them no longer rare, which makes it unfair to those users who gave SO MUCH to get those creatures. So, just as long as it is controlled in some fashion or re-released for 1 - 2 days, that would work nicely and would make everyone happy!

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 11 April 2017 at 11:56 PM

@daisy1664

I've resigned myself to the fact that I can't get caught up in this and have ultimately accepted that having a full collection of every creature is just not plausible unless I have a decade and 1000's of dollars ... I just didn't join at the "right time" ... kinda like stocks that people knowingly and unknowingly chose not to invest in.

.. It is curious Travels don't get much talk though.. they seem to be easier to "resurrect" through events. We even have 5 rows of travels that seem to be retiring slower allowing for a more market saturation of them ... I just don't see why select past time creatures couldn't be made available this same way during events etc .. especially if they were designated "2nd release" so as to distinguish from the originals 😊

.. but yeah I've resigned myself into a mostly common collecting niche ... rather than collector-focused.

Female
1,589 posts

flowerlynx • 12 April 2017 at 12:42 AM

Creature re-releasing has some good things, but many bad things to go along with it.
Imagine this scenario. You have sold something on eBay, and decide to use all... let's say, $100 on CC. You buy some rare creature with it. Now, the next week or month, eggcave re-releases that same creature you'd previously bought for thousands of CC - how would you feel? Would you feel cheated, or would you feel fine with it, becuase others save money? Be honest.

Another thing I have to say on the matter. If I'm desperately seeking a... Tine, and it gets re-released, fine. I'm happy, and my dream is complete. If, however, I can never find one, ever, then how would I feel if I could never get my dream creature? Yes, I'd feel unhappy that I can't get one - but then again, look at the above paragraph.

3,057 posts

jirachiwishmaker • 12 April 2017 at 1:04 AM

@flowerlynx

Eggcave has never done a rerelease ever, but they wouldn't do it on a recently retired creature. It'd only make sense that they'd do them on older creatures and if they do that rerelease that doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna be cheap again either. Also it's gonna be a one purchase, or limited one only, it's not like you can hoard several again. If the creature never gets rereleased then you just have to live without it. Alot of ppl can live without their dreamies, getting every single one on your wishlist is not that achievable. You may get one if you're lucky and then perhaps another by doing a good trade.