Version 3 Beta Testing: Official Topic

in General

Non-binary
1,318 posts

raccoon • 20 January 2017 at 7:00 PM

@Ian

I'm going to have to say no to the multiple pages. I LOVE having everything on one page to scroll through.

Perhaps make it an optional setting per player? (All coves are viewed in pages VS Loaded on one page)

I have no issues loading coves on the current version, V3 has some lag but it isn't too bad.

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 20 January 2017 at 7:04 PM

I would love the scroll and load function.

Having pages when sorting through the my cove section would end up being more annoying than useful in the long run but a smooth load while scroll function would definitely be useful.

For this URL:http://egg-cave.us/help/site/what-is-egg-cave

The button to return to the Player Guide Site section is just phrased as Return to Site. Shouldn't it be something like 'return to the player guide' instead of just site?

I'm not really a fan of the Player guide set out like this. You see one and a half sentences and when you click on the link it just finishes off the sentence. It's too small to justify sending you to another page. At least for the computer.

Female
54 posts

tiahny • 20 January 2017 at 7:17 PM

@Ian While I like the look of a single flowing page, I lean more towards multiple pages for the loading quality.

I think as others have suggested, that pages will cause filters to be used a lot more. So, I also agree with what others here have suggested that more filters such as species, star, hunger level, age, etc be created.

Thank you for letting me voice an opinion. I will be fine with whatever you decide and adjust accordingly.

Non-binary
3,331 posts

carter • 20 January 2017 at 7:32 PM

@ian
I think it should be an option. I think if players want to have the game possibly load faster but also maybe spend more time clicking through pages - Let them have it. But for those who want their cove to look how it always has, let them have that as well.
I personally never have loading problems and would love to keep seeing Eggcave the way I do - but I can totally understand if someone else doesn't want to spend so much time loading.
Similar to a Travel on a creature - The creature is the same but the travel is different. The game wont change but the way individuals decide they want to see it will. Just like being able to hide your online status you could edit how you see the game whenever you like.

Female
496 posts

shadow_girl • 20 January 2017 at 7:39 PM

@Ian I have no preference, but having multiple pages would not be my first choice. However, I can see why people with larger coves might want them. So maybe make it a choice? That way users could choose whether or not their cove had multiple pages.

Female
348 posts

coral_sage • 20 January 2017 at 7:39 PM

@Ian

I don't see a problem with having pages! I also don't see a problem with keeping it on one page, but I do see the benefits of faster loading on the pages, so a yes from me!

278 posts

birdboysplace • 20 January 2017 at 7:47 PM

@Ian

creature auctions
You go to bid on a creature and The Auction count down is not working / ticking down. I am figuring that this will work as soon as the new site is launched. Just thought I would mention it though.

19 posts

ghostofdreams • 20 January 2017 at 7:50 PM

@Ian

I prefer all creatures displayed on a single page, though I do agree with the others who've suggested it would be a good idea as an optional feature.

278 posts

birdboysplace • 20 January 2017 at 7:51 PM

@Ian

Kind of torn between the two. But I think I would prefer to keep my creatures on one page.

As it was mentioned, a choice would be cool!

Bird

3,399 posts

bun • 20 January 2017 at 7:55 PM

@Ian
I much prefer the scrolling (as opposed to splitting them into multiple pages), but if it would be possible to implement filters to sort creatures, besides the usual A-Z method. ; o ;

Female
4 posts

kissuli • 20 January 2017 at 7:58 PM

@Ian it's a bit slow with even a cove around the size what I have (100+), at least for me. Everything on one page has its perks, but for me it's tedious to scroll all the way down and wait for them to load.

Togglable settings would be great. Like as a default there could be a new page for every 50th creature, but one could change the maximum number of creatures in one page or turn it completely off.

Male
39 posts

ambivalent • 20 January 2017 at 8:02 PM

@Ian If the issue pertains mostly to bigger coves above 200, then maybe split coves that have more than 200 creatures? Like every page can hold only up to 200 creatures!

At the same time I see some users suggest that users pick how they wish to view Coves! That sounds like a nifty idea imo!

Female
170 posts

nboez • 20 January 2017 at 8:03 PM

@Ian

I would say yes if was in species or number order.
first 50 creatures so on

But if it is aplhabetical order endless scrolling is the better option

Female
1,773 posts

minnie298a • 20 January 2017 at 8:05 PM

@Ian
I'll start by being honest in that, I'm normally on a computer and I'm normally multi-tasking when on Eggcave (even as I type this I have something like 20 tabs open over 5 sites, including 3 for "old" Eggcave, 1 for the "new"). As a result the delay in loading my cove, even at over 250 creatures, is something I haven't noticed as a problem coming from your end. I assumed it was at mine, and just drifted off to another page to do something else, while waiting.

If I'm looking at the My Cove page, it is most likely to check the evolution stats for creatures I'm putting into the Click Exchange. If I'm looking to feed my eggs, I do it through my profile, as that is just how it worked best for me.

The other main reason is to see if I have a creature of a particular species for a trade. This is something that I can not do at the moment. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or it's one of the features not operating yet, but I'm unable to sort or search my cove be creature.

So, due to the way I use the Cove page, I would vote for "keep it on one" page. The idea of the "trickling" loading would work for me.

Female
4,265 posts

izziebee1017 • 20 January 2017 at 8:05 PM

I agree with @orderedchaos and @silverserpent.

I'd like to pick which setting I'd like to use for viewing the cove.

148 posts

wyvern2222 • 20 January 2017 at 8:08 PM

@Ian

I would prefer pages since both my main and side accounts have over 400 creatures, but since there's so much divide on this, perhaps it'd be better just to make it an option in user settings.

47 posts

fluxycookeh • 20 January 2017 at 8:08 PM

Yeah, like what other people have already said, having the option to pick between pages and scroll would be nice since my cave tends to shrink or grow randomly.

Female
44 posts

falconair • 20 January 2017 at 9:13 PM

@Ian
In response to the question, I really like seeing all my creatures in one shot. I do second that I'd really love to be able to pull up all creatures of a certain species (or life stage), though, so additional filters would be great.

I do like the idea of having the page count be an option for users who are having loud time troubles, though. I don't know if that would be complex to code, however.

Non-binary
2,821 posts

lunacharm1037 • 20 January 2017 at 9:18 PM

@Ian

If someone wanted to use v2 instead of v3 or is it taking the place of v2?

I do not have Facebook, is this a requirement, I have no computer knowledge and am using a windows version 7 laptop. which is on it's deathbed now

Female
137 posts

vos • 20 January 2017 at 9:31 PM

@Ian
Hi! I'd like pages but I'd like some control of the pages as we have for feed lists so we have more like a book with chapters.

I actually made a side account because my cove got too big. My green pets are over at Groen.

I'm not desperate, though - status quo or change to pages is ok by me.

Female
363 posts

sodabearjess • 20 January 2017 at 9:48 PM

I personally like the way coves are set up the way they are. Before I could decide on whether or not i want multiple pages, is there a way we could see what it would look like? I could see a use with multiple pages if you were feeding someones whole cove, otherwise I'm not sure that I would like that idea.

Female
110 posts

cosmia • 20 January 2017 at 10:05 PM

@Ian
I say yes.

Female
4,845 posts

newlife • 20 January 2017 at 10:16 PM

@Ian

What I would recommend is having the option to display all of your creatures, and having the person who owns the account the option to separate it in pages by 1,2,3,etc or by A-Z, or even by creatures A-Z

Female
12 posts

shayminsky19 • 20 January 2017 at 10:16 PM

I'm not so sure about it..
But it could be a good idea!

Female
91 posts

yazibelle • 20 January 2017 at 10:17 PM

why was i chosen as a beta tester? don't get me wrong, i appreciate it, and i plan on checking it out, but i'm EXTREMELY inactive, i only log in about once a day if that...

Female
99 posts

kitty • 20 January 2017 at 10:35 PM

@Ian

I like seeing all my creatures on one page, but I can see how for huge coves it would be problematic. Maybe you could give users an option under settings? Like make their choice whether their profile will use infinite scrolling or a page setup. Tumblr does something like this where it's unique to each blogger's blog.

Male
443 posts

thenekosnyan • 20 January 2017 at 10:36 PM

@Ian
I don't use the coves page really, so it doesn't matter much to me as to whether it is in pages or not! However, from an aesthetic standpoint, having a long, scrolly page is kinda irritating in some cases, so pages might be nice (I'd reccomend them not fully reloading the page though, if possible, as that is annoying too)
Or, as orderedchaos said, make it an option in preferences whether you want it to display as one way or the other! That would be the most pleasing to all users

Female
260 posts

stormdragonxi • 20 January 2017 at 11:06 PM

@Ian No thanks...I'm having a headache trying to look at my cove as it is. I like the order of my cove in the old version, version 3 has them all over the place instead of alphabetical order. If there's a way to change it, I'm missing it.

Female
167 posts

thaliel • 20 January 2017 at 11:22 PM

@ian
not liking the idea either, since I use snaplinks plus for feeding. Maybe try to do something similar to that the current version has instead?

98 posts

flarrow • 21 January 2017 at 3:29 AM

@ian alkub racing?

http://egg-cave.us/leila/alkubracing/bet

ConnectionException in NativeSocket.php line 45:
Socket error 111: Connection refused (connecting to localhost:11300)

edit reFreshed and it was good though
tfw the cave gives you a terron on your first try in beta. .n.