Version 3 Beta Testing: Official Topic

in General

Transmasculine
454 posts

shrimp • 20 January 2017 at 5:35 PM

@ian

At the same time that I like the concept, I feel like it would be too much, even if the page loading time increased.
If you did go through with your idea, maybe instead of groups of 4, 15 would be better, especially if someone is feeding or just looking at your cove.

475 posts

spell • 20 January 2017 at 5:37 PM

@ian
I would prefer full page ^^

349 posts

cho • 20 January 2017 at 5:38 PM

@Ian

@cloud-n-bolts +1

Perhaps EC can do an option based adjustment? Seems like people favour both sides.

For example, you can choose the option that you (the user) sees it in pages, then it's your choice. However, it doesn't affect me or determine how I organize my cove (assume that my preference is one page since the lag doesn't bother me) ; rather than how @cho or I decide what people should see.

Female
351 posts

umbregrl • 20 January 2017 at 5:39 PM

@Ian I think it's a good idea if you have a large cove.

Male
1,992 posts

Ian • 20 January 2017 at 5:39 PM

Wheee! โค๏ธ Love you guys. Thanks for such great feedback in such a quick time.

@novrain62: nothing would change with Cove Lists. Pages would NOT apply to profiles or your Cove Lists. Anywhere. I am strictly talking about one page at egg-cave.us/cove that gives you a bird's eye view of your Cove.

I figured that a lot of people wouldn't be a huge fan of pages, as that does involve more page loads and feels less snappy and clunkier to navigate. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

I do like the happy-medium of implementing a yes/no configurable user option under Preferences and am willing to consider it! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Another option that the "new web" affords us is an initial page load of 20-30 creatures and then as you scroll, the page knows to automatically load more but loads more as you scroll. This is not a page refresh but a clever way of determining where you are on the page. It's faster because the initial required data is SMALLER and "drips it into the page" in smaller increments as you go. I am going to consider this option, implement it next week, and then gather your feedback and see what you guys think. What do you guys think?

207 posts

clawstra • 20 January 2017 at 5:40 PM

@Ian

Today was my first day on V3. I found it very stark. I felt like I was scrolling a lot more than on V2. I've tried viewing the page at 75%, but then I can't read anything. So far I found it disappointing.

I like the idea @Orderedchaos had of making multiple pages a toggled feature. When feeding other coves, I doubt I'd change pages to feed.

Female
2,211 posts

thedarkarcher • 20 January 2017 at 5:40 PM

@cho yay a second person who agrees ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ. thank you my cho cho โค๏ธ

Male
1,992 posts

Ian • 20 January 2017 at 5:42 PM

@clawstra I'm sorry to hear that the v3 layout change is a big shock. We have received various reports of this... that it's a bit jarring and feels "bigger" in a certain sense. ๐Ÿ˜Š I understand that. It's a big refresh.

Give it a feel days and then re-evaluate. A lot of people mention this as their initial impression and then, after a few days, warm up to the v3 look quite a bit. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Let me know what you think in a few days. โค๏ธ

Deleted • 20 January 2017 at 5:42 PM

@ian

While I see how this would help alot with larger coves, I'd have to disagree. ๐Ÿ˜‹
I really like having one page to scroll threw, it makes it easier to see if users have double of a creature; and it just feels alot more organized. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Female
1,967 posts

novrain62 • 20 January 2017 at 5:46 PM

Like me @clawstra LoL Today I really like my V3 profile.
@ian - thank you for clearing that up for me. I understand better now. I do like your 2nd idea very much. But since you explained it for me better, I'd vote YES for that!

Male
2,762 posts

fakeworld • 20 January 2017 at 5:46 PM

@Ian
I actually see that on a lot of websites today, and it actually helps a lot. That'll be a great solution to leaving them on the same page while at the same time enhancing and improving page load times. Can't wait to test it out. ๐Ÿ˜ธ

17 posts

alice_meri_fox • 20 January 2017 at 5:47 PM

@Ian

I prefer to see all my creatures at once. It's much easier to see all of my creatures and track their stages if there all on one page.

Female
1,689 posts

cloudslay3r • 20 January 2017 at 5:49 PM

@ian

I think it's a good idea for pages but others do like to scroll...Maybe it could be a setting thing. ๐Ÿ˜ธ

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 20 January 2017 at 5:50 PM

@Ian
So you mean the cove in 'My Creatures' option?

Not our cove that everyone else sees along with our profile? on the 'My Profile' option?

If yes then I agree. It makes my laptop crash on the 'My Creatures' because they do not load. My cove loads perfectly on the 'My Profile'

If the ones on our profile then I wouldn't like the pages

I ask because ya gave the link for the 'My Creatures' not out profile one and think ya said not the profile.

But the way others are wording it makes it sound like they thought ya meant the our profile cove.

I am not sure which ya meant >.<

Female
2,491 posts

leafmelody • 20 January 2017 at 5:53 PM

@Ian
I think I still prefer scrolling ;v; Maybe the first 100 creatures, then a next page, then next 100 creatures ect? ๐Ÿ˜ฑ I just find scrolling a lot easier ^^;

Female
28 posts

prettykitty13 • 20 January 2017 at 5:55 PM

I prefer how it is but would be happy with just a list like the pet name and their happiness level and clicking that would bring you up the whole pet page to scroll through. e.g.

Pet1 happiness 85%
Pet2 happiness 62% etc and clicking on the name brings up the normal page about the pet with the option to feed it. Myabe do it with X-number per page for big coves

Male
1,992 posts

Ian • 20 January 2017 at 5:59 PM

@immortalraven this is 100% "My Creatures" located at http://egg-cave.us/cove -- that's what we're talking about. ๐Ÿ˜Š This has nothing to do with Cove Lists or Profiles.

Facebook actually does the "detect scrolling to load more" thing on your Facebook new feed. Facebook doesn't load your entire news feed at once. It's so clever that it preloads the next News Feed data before you've even scrolled that far and adds it to the page. It adds data to the page in smaller increments and gives you only the data you need. That's what I'm talking about for Egg Cave "My Creatures."

Please continue to post your feedback!

Female
3,809 posts

sparklefox • 20 January 2017 at 5:59 PM

@Ian - Heh, sorry for the late feedback on this.

The single page does take quite a bit to load the creatures for me, and I do like the idea of multiple pages. However, I still also like the look of the single page. I'd say that the option for different choices in regards to the layout of the cove page is an excellent idea to implement, though.

Female
1,088 posts

stagfire • 20 January 2017 at 6:00 PM

@ian
That would be lovely and interesting, so much easier to sort out!

1,029 posts

rowyn • 20 January 2017 at 6:04 PM

@Ian I wouldn't mind if they were multiple pages o-o But how would it work with sorting? O-o say you wanted to sort the creatures by species and clicked to another page. Would that page keep the sorting or would you have to sort your cove again?

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 20 January 2017 at 6:05 PM

@Ian
I think I like the multiple pages thing most but if everyone else hates that and the option is out then the loading em as ya scroll is ok.
I actually have problems with facebook because of the scroll thing. It still causes loading problems for me and can take awhile and make my laptop freeze and what not.
I know most care about the look of just one page for it but I only care about the one in our profile that everyone else sees because no one else sees the my creatures. But either way as long as it is better than it is now I'd be fine with anything xD

Female
71 posts

connieharris • 20 January 2017 at 6:06 PM

I agree with having a choice to be able to have the opportunity to choose that way if I try it and I find it's not for me I could switch my cove back to its original status but this is just my opinion :-)

Deleted • 20 January 2017 at 6:10 PM

@Ian

Oh, the My Creatures section? ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
That would kinda make sense to split that. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

But One thing I'd really hate to have to deal with is seeing when creatures evolve. ๐Ÿ˜‹
When I go to see what creatures evolve with ____ stats before I buy a ___ stats jar to evolve lots of my pets, It's super easy to find them, as I can scroll down looking for whatever uses those stats. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
I feel that if it was split, it would just be a bit more difficult. ๐Ÿ˜‹

35 posts

rabidwolfie • 20 January 2017 at 6:10 PM

I'm afraid I'm with the No's on this one. I personally prefer the endless scroll. It's so much more convenient when looking at my collection in a hurry, or looking for one specific creature when I can't remember what I named it.

If it could be made optional, however, I would not argue. I do enjoy being given a choice.

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 20 January 2017 at 6:11 PM

I think the scrolling thing is way better, tbh.

Female
1,571 posts

rileytibbles • 20 January 2017 at 6:21 PM

@ian

I support the idea of multiple pages for displaying coves, but only if we're offered more options to filter creatures since multiple pages can be cumbersome to look through if you're looking for something specific.

Female
1,034 posts

momokie • 20 January 2017 at 6:30 PM

@Ian

I agree with the others who say it could be an option for larger cove owners. I have never had load issues with my coves but if its an issue for others I agree it should be addressed โ™กโ™ก

Female
373 posts

arvak • 20 January 2017 at 6:35 PM

@Ian

I know nothing about websites or anything, so maybe this is a dumb question - but is it only slow because of the creature pictures loading (with the green circle thing) or because of all the information shown on large coves? The boxes that have all the info, like clicks and feeds is so huge...I don't know about that stuff. I like just seeing my creatures alone without all that other stuff. I have no idea if that even addresses this issue or not or if that something entirely different all together.

As far as opinion on it - I like one big cove as well, but it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker if pages were implemented. ๐Ÿ˜ธ The slowly-add-new-stuff like Facebook seems like a pretty smart idea.

1,216 posts

pet_cemetery • 20 January 2017 at 6:47 PM

@Ian

Please make the cove multipy pages. My cove is over 200 creatures and it crashes the browser every time i try to view it.

Female
3,584 posts

lailaluckyseal87 • 20 January 2017 at 6:52 PM

@Ian Sure! As long as you have the "Change Page" at the top and bottom!