To Save a Ruined World

in Roleplaying

1,467 posts

robinn • 1 October 2019 at 4:15 PM

Once, there was a prophecy that darkness would take over the world. A hero was sent out to stop this prophecy, but instead of preventing it, they caused it to happen.
10 years later, you are struggling to survive in this world that has been cast into darkness. Most people have died since that event happened and only about 5% of the human population is still alive. This world, the land of Velenia, has been infested with shadowy monsters that will kill anyone in sight. Your goal is to defeat the hero that caused all of this in hopes that it will restore Velenia back to normal.

Rules

Three characters per person max

No controlling other people’s characters

Keep it PG-13

No Gary/Mary Sues

Character Sheet

Name:
Appearance:
Weapon:
Personality:
Weakness:
Backstory:

Pings (sorry)
@wingedfox
@shadowdragon28
@wigglytuff
@arcana

Genderqueer
3,446 posts

chaoschild • 1 October 2019 at 6:07 PM

@summerglow4a
This is an awesome idea! I'd love to join! Thanks for the ping!
Here are my first two characters.
Name: Serafina Markspur
Appearance: She has pale white hair with silver streaks in it. She has equally pale skin and freckles. She has silver eyes. She usually wears her hair in a messy braid. She wears black pants and jacket with a white shirt. She never ever wears shoes.
Weapon: She uses sparkley smoke grenades that permanently blind the attackers.
Personality: At first glance, she's a shy and timid girl you would never want to be around. If you get to know her better, she's bright and cheery and deadly if you get on her bad side.
Weakness: She's scared of heights and heat.
Backstory: Serafina's past is too dark to post here. She has been taught from that that not all people are good and that family isn't always around forever.

Name: Jean Mitchell
Appearance: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/7d/13/6e/7d136e3cee4f0f72a01f11e59f4f396e.jpg
Weapon: His claws and the knife that he keeps with him all the time. He's rarely seen without it.
Personality: He's the get-in-your face kind. He'll befriend you whether you like it or not. Beware of him if he's mad because he will destroy anything that gets in his way.
Weakness: He's scared of water
Backstory: He almost drowned as a child and barely survived. He wouldn't have survived at all if his adoptive family hadn't found him. They helped him survive by giving him enough dark magic to let him live. It changed his form so that he was no longer human, but he survived.

1,467 posts

robinn • 1 October 2019 at 6:11 PM

Oooh I like them. Here's mine.

Name: Rayne Kenton
Appearance: Copper colored hair, indigo eyes. Wears a dark cloak and leather armor.
Weapon: Bow and arrow
Personality: Warm, quiet, cautious
Weakness: Not very good at close combat, tends to overthink things.
Backstory: Both of his parents died when the apocalypse was triggered. His younger sister recently was killed by a shadow monster, he’s been struggling to survive without her.

Genderqueer
3,446 posts

chaoschild • 1 October 2019 at 6:16 PM

That backstory is sad... I like it.

Is there an age range?

1,467 posts

robinn • 1 October 2019 at 6:39 PM

Nope not really, characters should at least be old enough to talk, but that's about it.

1,478 posts

arcana • 1 October 2019 at 7:07 PM

Might I join?
Name: Tori Yleona
Appearance: A redhead with piercing blue eyes, she can unnerve some people with her stare, but her clothes don't help much either. She either has chain-mail or just full armor on. Surprisingly, it's very light and high-quality. Her hair is short, just down to her shoulders. If she isn't wearing armor, she's wearing a blue cloak.
Weapon: Sword, but she can use a lance/spear.
Personality: Overconfident and aggressive in everything. Even at the young age of ten, she can hold her own. She knows it too, which feeds into some of her ego. She's a loner and leader, but has too short a temper and is too young to use her skills properly. She just needs a few friends to offset her, but since most children haven't survived in her group, she's alone.
Weakness: Overconfident in most things she does. Won't admit to failure.
Backstory: Her father is a historian focused on the medieval ages. Tori was born just a few months before the apocalypse and was given a very thorough education based on the medieval times. Her father is part of a group of people who based themselves off of the medieval times to survive the apocalypse. This is why she is well versed with most kinds of swords, armors and spears.

Name: Paloma
Appearance: She wears big, black cloaks and masks that conceal her entire person if she has to go anywhere. Otherwise, she wears oversized sweatshirts and leggings. She has very long black hair and has brown eyes. She's actually very small for her age.
Weapon: Daggers, small knives, etc. Learned about poisons or ways to defend herself without exerting force.
Personality: A loner through and through. She has a strong hatred of the hero from what scribblings she's found. Hates that she knows nothing about everything. Sarcastic and will stare something or someone down in disappointment over something minor. She has talked to almost no one for several years, so she's almost mute. In general, very cat-like.
Weakness: Is very delicate and not very strong. Has a few health problems.
Backstory: She has no idea what her name was, when her birthday was, anything. She doesn't know who her parents are. Her earliest memory is of wandering a ruined city that she's still in now. She's been surviving by looking out for herself and only herself. An escaped criminal took care of her for a few years but disappeared. She has forgotten everything about them except their existence and the lessons they taught her. She has been surviving in a city alone.

1,467 posts

robinn • 1 October 2019 at 7:11 PM

Thanks for joining!

Female
1,610 posts

shadowdragon28 • 2 October 2019 at 3:43 PM

@summerglow4a
Sounds interesting! 😊

Name: Emilia Harmon
Appearance: long black hair, wears hoodie and jeans, scar over left eye, remaining eye is blood red giving her a menacing look, blood is black because infected
Weapon: double swords
Personality: She is very untrusting, and believes that most humans are selfish. She is pretty selfish and greedy, but will protect the people she cares about. Emilia can be somewhat sarcastic.
Weakness: can't see very well to her left, can be attacked on her left side, does not like bright lights(infection)
Backstory: Emilia didn't know her parents name, and lived in an orphanage before the shadow monsters. When they came, she fled from the orphanage and got a cut over her eye, causing an infection and her eyes to turn red. Her blood also turned black, and when injected into the bloodstream it can cause another person to become infected or die. She has been stealing to fend for herself ever since.

Name: Niall Jackson
Appearance: light brown hair, green eyes, wears sweatpants and a t-shirt
Weapon: long bow, short distances he uses a dagger, knives
Personality: Knows both sides of the world, cautious, he is pretty arrogant, quick thinker, intelligent
Weakness: not so good at fist fights, relies on speed and agility and intelligence
Backstory: His family are nobles, and Niall is the son of the lord. When he was around 11, he got lost on a shopping trip, and had to live for a month on the streets with a gang he met until he found his way back. He lives two lives, one as a noble, and one as a gang member who roams the streets.

1,327 posts

bgunny • 2 October 2019 at 3:46 PM

@summerglow4a
I'd like to join, but it's going to take me a day or two (at the absolute most) to finish my character sheet (I've been really caught up with the Halloween fair). I'll try to be as quick as possible. Is that okay?

1,467 posts

robinn • 2 October 2019 at 4:45 PM

@bgunny Yes that's fine!

1,327 posts

bgunny • 2 October 2019 at 5:47 PM

@summerglow4a
Yeah, so about that... Once I started I couldn't stop so... Here's my character!

Name: Ivy Crow
Appearance:
https://pm1.narvii.com/6487/2eaf61904fddce5ac8b3e49c30a0ca8874a3c9f3_hq.jpg

Ivy has light brown hair that looks blonde when the light hits it. It is long, frizz-free, and straight. She hates her hair and wishes it was curly. She has tried to curl it before, and it always becomes straight again within the hour. She has messy bangs. Her eyes are an amber/yellow color. In school, the bullies would make fun of her eyes. They are actually very pretty. She normally has a shy and innocent smile on her face. She is a small and skinny girl. She looks (and acts) younger than she actually is. Before the apocalypse, she wore bright colored clothing. Now she wears black colored clothing. She doesn't like that style of clothing, but knows she has to wear it if she wants to survive.

Weapon: Dagger
Personality:

Ivy is normally a sweet and happy girl. At first, she can act shy and quiet around new people, but once she warms up to that person, she will be more talkative and open. It will take a few days for her to warm up to someone, and they have to show her that they are a good and kind person first. She hates to be alone. She has learned to cope with it. She is alone a lot now. She is also scared of the dark, but has learned to cope with that as well. She never complains, defends herself, or shows her opinion in something. She doesn't think her opinion matters and doesn't trust herself to make the right choices. She always thinks she isn't good enough, due to being bullied in school. She never shows others how she really feels, always hiding her true emotions behind her smile. Most of the time she just wants to go cry in a corner. Ivy refuses to hurt anyone and anything, even the shadow monsters, mainly because she is weak. She survives by sneaking in the shadows and staying hidden. She has gotten very good at that. As well as her ability to hide, she is agile and knows medical skills thanks to her mom.

Every so often, Ivy will get into fits. They are different. Sometimes all that happens is she feels weak, dizzy, and sick. Other times she gets anxious and scared. The fit she hates most is when she becomes crazy and sadistic. She gets a burst of strength and will kill anyone in her path. Each of her fits end with her passing out. The time she wakes up varies, sometimes its only a few seconds and other times it can take a day.

Weakness:

Ivy's 'fits' are a big weakness, as they will happen anytime without a warning. She is normally a very weak person. She knows how to use the dagger, but isn't good at it and isn't good at defending herself. Honestly, she wonders how she is still alive.

Backstory:

Ivy lived a pretty average life. She had two parents and a baby sister. Her mom was a nurse, and when Ivy showed interest in the medical field at a young age of 3, she took her daughter under her wing. Her dad was a police officer and he tried to teach Ivy how to fight. She never showed much interest in those lessons. Ivy was bullied in school, but she kept it to herself. It seemed to be her fault that she was being bullied and she didn't want to bring her parents into the problem. Her whole family died when the apocalypse hit. She would have died, but a 12 year old boy named Stellan saved her. They stuck together and became very close. Stellan not only knew how to fight, but he also had skills in the medical field that surpassed Ivy's. He continued her mother's training. He was killed trying to save Ivy and himself from a shadow monster a 1 year ago. She hasn't gotten over it yet.

1,467 posts

robinn • 2 October 2019 at 6:57 PM

(Alright, I think we have enough people now, I'll start.)

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen another human…Rayne thinks to himself while heading down a rocky path. Maybe I’m the only one left… He pushes the thought away. There has to be more people out there. And he was going to find them. Although, there probably weren't too many people hiding high in the mountains like he was, but there were fewer shadows up here. He glances up at the grey sky. Ever since that day the skies have always been dark. It made it difficult to tell what time it was. It was probably the afternoon, which was the safest time of day. The shadows are weakest at this time. He decides to head down the mountain in search of supplies and maybe, hopefully, run into someone.

Genderqueer
3,446 posts

chaoschild • 2 October 2019 at 7:43 PM

Serafina sighs and pulled another flower off its stem. She plucked the petals off it one by one, whispering, "Only one. Not the only one. Only one. Not the only one. Only one, Not the only one." She pulled off the last petal and said, "Not the only one." She smiled and put the empty stem in a pile of fifteen others. She leans back of the tree and stares off down the stone path in front of her.

Jean sat on his wooden chair, trying to whistle a tune. He had never actually been able to because of his strange tooth shapes. They were more doglike than human. He gave up after another failure. He stood up and walked sway from his house. He was getting restless. He didn't want to just sit there while there could be people still alive out there.

1,478 posts

arcana • 2 October 2019 at 9:38 PM

Paloma stared out of her dark cloak, creeping ever closer to the edge of the ruined building. She was told it was important to watch for everything and it had become a habit. She ducked into the building and threw a dagger at the wall, before looking back at the plains that surrounded the city she lived in.

Tori sat down on the box, sweating after her practice match. She had won, but it had started feeling meaningless. She wanted to go, to fight, but no. She was too "young". Her eyes flashed with heated anger. She stabbed the sword into the ground, gritting her teeth. Perhaps she would take a journey on her own.

1,327 posts

bgunny • 2 October 2019 at 10:02 PM

(Is it okay if I write in 1st person? I can do 3rd, but I'm more comfortable in 1st. Also, sorry about my long post. This is my writing time. It's weird but I tend to be more inspired during this time.)

Ivy~
I creep down the street in an old rundown neighborhood. Stay in the shadows and you’ll stay alive. Don’t leave the shadows and you’ll stay alive. And don’t do anything stupid, I think. It was the chant I repeated in my head over and over again when I snuck around. I’d picked up the habit ever since Stellan was killed. It was the only reason I was still alive, which was a surprise. No matter how many times I recited it, I still managed to do more stupid mistakes than I should. I crouch down in the shadow I was hidden in. I’d have to leave it for a few seconds if I wanted to get into one of the houses. I peer around for shadow monsters. I didn’t see any right now, but that didn’t lesson my fears. I might have looked over one hiding. Taking a deep breath, I run out of the shadow and into one of the houses, closing the door behind me. I press my body against it in case a monster had chased after me. Nothing banged against the door or tried to break a window. I was still alive. I took that as a sign there were no monsters around.

Normally, I didn’t bother scavenging in the neighborhood houses. They rarely had what I needed, but I’d passed this particular house a few times, and I’d been pretty sure I had seen a garden in the backyard. There wasn’t much, but I knew there was a chance I might be able to find some food. I walk through the house. It was a wonder the house was still standing. The inside looked like a mess. Furniture was thrown all over the place. There were bits of broken objects littered all over the floor. I step on something crinkly and bend over to pick it up. It was a faded picture of a happy family. I trace it gently with my finger. I wonder what happened to them. Nothing good most likely. I place the picture gently back on the ground near the wall, giving it one last look. I remember when I was that happy. I miss people so much. I sigh and try to think positively. At least I'm still alive. That's better than them. Wow, that was still pretty dark. I force a smile on my face. At least I'm still alive, and...and... Smiling wasn't working right now either. I could be happy later. I rummage through the drawers. I pocket a few things, but not much. I’d come here for the garden. If I wanted to, I could come back some other day.

(Before I do the garden scene, what types of things are growing if anything? Is it normal fruits and vegetables or only a certain type?)

Female
1,610 posts

shadowdragon28 • 2 October 2019 at 10:41 PM

Emilia checked her bag of supplies. There was barely any food left. She would have to go out again. She grimaced, inside her shelter, a boarded apartment, was safe, but outside, was not. Standing up, she grabbed her twin swords and slung them over her shoulder. Pausing to look at the cracked mirror, a unfamiliar scowling face stared back at her, eyes burning red. She had to look away.

Niall snuck past the hallway, making sure to keep quiet as he passed his parent's bedroom. He had just been out with the remainder of his friends, sneaking them some food. Outsides situation had gotten desperate, and... many had died. Of course his family wouldn't know that, as they had been hiding inside their mansion for years. He felt a ugly sensation run through him, leaving a bitter taste in his mouth. It was just so unfair, Niall thought, his family was hiding inside, refusing to accept refugees, while his friends died outside in a struggle against the shadow monsters.

1,467 posts

robinn • 3 October 2019 at 12:04 AM

(I don't mind, write however you feel comfortable! And as for plants they are around, but because of the lack of sunlight they don't grow very well.)

Rayne finally reaches the base of the mountain. Along the path he spots a single purple flower. That's rare. He picks it and takes it with him. Up ahead is a small village, mostly in ruin. He scavenges a couple houses in search of supplies. He doesn't find anything of interest. Looks like nothing's changed since the last time I was here. He thinks to himself, feeling a twinge of disappointment. He leaves the village after searching thoroughly through each house. No sign of life. Just outside the village was a small graveyard. Most of the graves were left in poor condition, except for one. Rayne kneels before it and places the flower on the grave. "I miss you." He whispers.

1,327 posts

bgunny • 3 October 2019 at 1:23 PM

(Okay, I'll pick some hardier plants that can grow in shade then.)

Ivy~
I peek outside the window to the backyard. After not seeing anything dangerous, I open the backdoor and... the hinges snap from the rotting post and fall on top of me. I curl into a tiny ball and hold my breath, listening for any sounds. The noise from the door crashing had been loud. [II should have acted smarter. I'm so stupid,[/I] I think, berating myself. I push the door off my body and slowly rise from the ground. I was bleeding on my arm where a piece of wood had poked me. I ignore the wound. It wasn't severe enough to worry about treating now. I could clean and bandage it when I got back home. No, it’s not really my home. I guess my temporary dwelling would be a better phrase for it.

I step outside. The garden was overgrown, mostly with yellow and wilted weeds. I knew I had seen some type of food, so I search through everything. My patience was rewarded when I found some carrots. They were deformed and sick looking, but I could still eat them. They probably just wouldn’t taste very good. How they tasted wasn’t on my list of concerns. I just wanted something to eat. I was able to save 2 and a half- the other half had been eaten by some critter- of them. The rest were rotted. Moving away from the garden, I walk over to a tree that looked familiar. It was a lot less sickly looking than the rest of the plants, but even this one had wilted, slightly brown leaves. Stepping on my tiptoes, I reach up and pick a small fruit I had seen growing on the tree. I stare at it for a little, before finally remembering what it was. This was a pawpaw tree. Stellan had shown them to me. I shake the tree and within 20-30 minutes, I had 3 more pawpaws in my rucksack.

I smile, happy with the outcome from my excursion. Finding this much was a rare occurrence. It probably wouldn’t happen again in a long time, if I survived that long. At the thought of surviving, I decide it would be best to head back to my ‘temporary dwelling.’ I had gone this long without bumping into monsters. I didn’t want to push my luck.

Female
1,610 posts

shadowdragon28 • 3 October 2019 at 4:26 PM

@bgunny
Is it fine if Emilia and Ivy meet?
Emilia stayed in the shadows of the deserted streets, glancing around nervously. She just had to get a few supplies, then she could go back to safety. Looking at the many rows of houses, she noticed a few gardens. Maybe I should go to one, she thought.

1,478 posts

arcana • 3 October 2019 at 6:17 PM

Paloma drifted down from her sentry position to rest in her home area. It was cluttered with everything she'd collected for her entire life. Bits and pieces had built up, and she had found a lock to guard her treasures with. Descending to the sidewalks of the city, she walked to the side of the city she hadn't explored. It was near a residential area, so the danger that she might run into to someone was high. She climbed into a shop's window and started looking for food and tools.
-----
Tori grabbed all the supplies she could get her hands on without inconveniencing the settlement. Slipping away with her backpack and bag, she grabbed her armor and sword. Creeping off to the woods behind the "town", she ran off towards the ruins of the city and village.

1,467 posts

robinn • 3 October 2019 at 8:31 PM

Rayne decides to stop by another nearby village after leaving the previous one. He heads down the path. The only footprints that he saw were his own. He sighs to himself. I can't be the last one. He hears rustling in the bushes to his right and instinctively draws his bow. A shadow jumps out, this one was canine shaped. Most of the ones he's seen have been more human-like. It growled at him, baring pitch black fangs. He shot an arrow at it, a headshot. The shadow wasn't even fazed. Rayne steps back. He catches a quick glimpse of a nearby tree with low hanging branches. He fires another arrow, this one flies past the the shadow's face. It's eyes were fixed on the arrow. While it's distracted Rayne makes a break for the tree. It doesn't take long for the shadow to realize what Rayne was doing. He could hear its claws scrape the ground behind him. Rayne jumps and grabs one of the branches. He starts to pull himself up. The shadow bites down on his leg and tries to pull him back down. Rayne kicks it until it loosens its grip. He pulls the rest of his body up and notches an arrow. This time he hits the shadow right in its bright red eye. It wimpers and vanishes into smoke. Rayne leans back in the tree to catch his breath. He examines his leg, the bite was pretty deep. Great, now I have to find medicine... After resting a bit, he heads to the next village.

Genderqueer
3,446 posts

chaoschild • 3 October 2019 at 8:51 PM

(@summerglow4a Would it be alright if Rayne met Jean on his search for a populated place with medicine?)

Serafina heard something in the bushes beside her. She scrambled to stand up and drew one of her sparkle grenades. A limping shadow stumbles out. It was cat-shaped. She put the grenade down and tilted her head at it. It didn't seem evil or menacing like others she had seen. She sits down again and holds out a hand to it.

Jean walked into one of the stores in his town and took a bag off one of the shelves. He went around the store to get all of the essentials. Food, Canned food, toilet paper, and many other things.

1,467 posts

robinn • 3 October 2019 at 9:30 PM

(Yeah that's fine)

Rayne continues down the path, but pain shoots through his leg every time he takes a step. He continues walking at a fast pace, wanting to get to the village soon. It would be bad if his leg gets infected.

Female
1,610 posts

shadowdragon28 • 3 October 2019 at 10:04 PM

@wingedfox & @summerglow4a
(Can Niall meet up with them too?)
Niall snuck out of the mansion, making sure to not make any noises. Walking outside, he walked to where he would usually meet the gang. They weren't there. A sinking feeling of horror bloomed in his stomach, but he pushed him down. They might just be in the next village over. Steeling himself, he walked on.

1,327 posts

bgunny • 3 October 2019 at 10:06 PM

(Yeah, that’s fine @shadowdragon28)

Ivy~
I walk back into the house to give it one last quick examination. I still had some room in my rucksack. I grabbed a few pieces of wood from the broken furniture. I could use it to build a fire or patch up a few things. I knew I could also make a splint with it in case I did something stupid enough to land myself a broken bone. I knew even I wasn’t that clumsy, and I would most likely use it for the first two, but it could happen.

As I stepped towards the front door, I caught a glimpse of the picture again. The family reminded me a lot of my family. There was a mom, dad, big sister, and baby brother. I slip off my rucksack and reach into it. I pull out a marble. I had collected marbles before the apocalypse. They were a waste of space, but I couldn’t bring myself to get rid of them. They were the only belongings I had from my past life. I liked to look at them when I wondered if the world really had been different before, or if it was all a big dream. They were a reminder of times when I was happy and care-free. I roll one next to the picture. I sit in silence and respect for a few moments. I didn’t know why, but I felt better after that. “Goodbye,” I whisper to the happy family.

I open the front door carefully. I didn’t want another door to fall on me. Crouching down in the shadows on the porch, I check my surroundings. I was tired of all this worry about shadow monsters, but if I acted mindless and incautiously, I’d be killed for sure. Satisfied, I run down the stairs and into a bush. The bush makes rustling noises as I make myself comfortable and stare out into the empty street. Like always, I had to make sure I wasn’t seen.

(I guess Emilia could have seen or heard Ivy or she could see Emilia, whatever you want it fine with me.)

1,467 posts

robinn • 3 October 2019 at 10:08 PM

(@shadowdragon28 I'm okay with that)

Female
1,610 posts

shadowdragon28 • 3 October 2019 at 10:49 PM

(Alright! 😊)
Emilia perked up as she heard rustling in the bushes. Maybe it was just her brain playing tricks on her... But this wasn't everyday life anymore, in the apocalypse instinct was needed. Squinting at the bushes opposite on the street to her, she strained to pick up more noise.

Genderqueer
3,446 posts

chaoschild • 3 October 2019 at 11:35 PM

(It's fine with me too! Let's do this!)

Serafina gently touched the shadow. It seemed to purr for a moment before it snatched up my hand and bit it. She yelped and slapped the cat away. It wasn't limping anymore. She tossed a glitter bomb at it and ran down the path away from it. She heard screeches of pain coming from behind her.

Jean slung the bag over his shoulder and followed the path away from the village.

1,478 posts

arcana • 3 October 2019 at 11:41 PM

Paloma dumped the useful contents of the building a bag. Scampering back to the sentry post that was her home, she stared out at the odd villages that scattered the outcrops of the city. She debated over whether she wanted to go, but turned away to organize the room she lived in.

Tori arrived in an abandoned village, sweating a bit from her armor. Heaving her bag onto a stone, she sat down and nibbled some jerky, scanning the area for any humans of shadows.

1,467 posts

robinn • 3 October 2019 at 11:42 PM

Rayne continues down the path, but the pain has caused him to start limping. I'm almost there... Up ahead he sees a figure. Wait, a figure?!? He quickly hides in the trees. He draws his bow. It's probably just another shadow.