Cove expansion suggestion

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Female
2,408 posts

ida92 • 26 February 2022 at 6:41 AM

Hi! I have had this idea for quite some time now, but never found the time and will to post it. I believe this might have been suggested before, so sorry if this topic turns out to be spam. To come to the point - I would like to suggest the cove expansions to be less costly. I have come across not just one, but several users complaining that they went on hiatus because constatnt cove expansions were becoming almost impossible to afford. I unfortunately have to agree with them. The larger the cove, the more it cost to expand. I would suggest keeping the expansions at 200EC for each cove space, insted of increasing each expansions by 200EC, making each more expensive then the other. As a solution for people who have already expanded their coves I would suggest two options - either their coves expand automatically to the size they would be after the new price introduction or withdrawing the now backup EC. This suggestion is open for discussion. 😊

Female
376 posts

megamisama90 • 2 March 2022 at 12:13 PM

@ida92 I'm so with you on this! It's so annoying and expensive. And if this would become reality I'd like the second option more but either would be okay. Right now I've 1300 cove spaces and the next upgrade will cost 200,200 EC ☚ī¸ and this is on my main account. I've sides too.

I'm not sure but I have a feeling there might've been a topic that discussed this? Not sure though.

Pings:
@sinthr
@anzica
@dragiigy

Female
2,408 posts

ida92 • 2 March 2022 at 12:16 PM

@megamisama90 thanks a lot for the support. ❤ī¸ Yeah, I believe I saw this somewhere before, but I couldn't fint the topic... Maybe it was mentioned in a topic regarding something else? I'm not sure. But thank you anyway!

@storm-sage
@sandara

Male
297 posts

dragiigy • 2 March 2022 at 12:19 PM

@ida92 more then agree with you !!!!

@frankenstein

Female
376 posts

megamisama90 • 2 March 2022 at 12:23 PM

@ida92 might've been so! I hope this comes reality!

Pings:
@prairie
@portal
@amysnow

Male
105 posts

storm-sage • 2 March 2022 at 12:25 PM

I can understand the frustration. I'm close to maxing my cove myself. But from the devs perspective I think they have already compromised by allowing side accounts. To be honest, I'm surprised it's even allowed in the first place.

Personally it just forces me to sell off some of the duplicates I already have or creatures that don't interest me enough which is fine. If I ever wanna make a big collection of something I'd probably just make a side account so the problem solves itself.

I think it also helps force spreading out the eggs/items amongus the players since you can't just hoard everything forever. Just my 2cents but I'd be interested in seeing alternatives as well.

Non-binary
2,819 posts

lunacharm1037 • 2 March 2022 at 12:36 PM

@ida92
I also thought I saw this once before but I can't find it now. I am trying to sell creatures since I can't afford to make my cove bigger. I also made both my side accounts bigger to try to save some EC but its not helping much. I'd like to see it at 200EC for each cove space, but I don't think it will happen. When I started Eggcave your cove could only go up to 300.

69 posts

amysnow • 2 March 2022 at 12:52 PM

Yub, the cost for me now is 132,400 and the total I spent is 43,758,200, it a large amount that I work for like 5 year and sometime I have to sell my creature eventhough I dont want.. I can have side acc, yeah already have 2 but It better for me if all in 1 acc that I can feed them at 1 time. So if the cost can be reduce, or fix at some point, not add 200 EC each time, It will be great

Gender Nonconforming
1,249 posts

frankenstein • 2 March 2022 at 1:18 PM

Cove expansion has been weighing on me for a while now, lol. I've never fully revealed how much I've spent on @overnightaesthetic to have as many creatures as I had at my peak. I've dodged the question every time I've been asked. It's embarrassing and I do feel a little regret because I genuinely don't have the money to keep expanding the way I had been doing. This is where I'm at, and where I'll stay for a while:

Current Cove Spaces 2392
Total Spent In Upgrades 437,855,600 EC
Next Upgrade Cost 418,600 EC

I also have 3 other accounts, all floating between 350-500 spaces I think.

And sure, you could earn all that EC by clicking... if you didn't at the very least have other priorities (school, work, kids, pets, etc.) I do understand that this game is all a balance of what you're willing to put into it and by not allowing it to be TOO easy to play. That would minimize the work long-standing accounts have put in to get where they are.

And I also understand that it may prevent hoarding/hogging, but at the same time if the site's thriving it's going to keep putting out more and more creatures every single month. Eventually, no amount of cove spaces will support collecting of any kind unless you make sacrifices you might not want to make (ie: letting go of creatures you like simply because you can't keep them.) or spending RL cash to boost your spaces.

This is all coming from a person that kind of hoards creatures, lol. I've also been very open about allowing people to ask after creatures I have collections of. I don't believe in hoarding in a way that completely cuts folks off from getting dreamies or what have you, so I don't feel like that's a fully-realized argument against making it easier to get more spaces. I enjoy this site, I *love* the art, and I want the artists and collaborators to know that someone out there really appreciates their work. I hoard because I care, lmao!

I just wish there were alternative ways to obtain spaces. A monthly raffle for a voucher that you can apply to any account you want, but that doesn't increase the cost of spaces? Like, 5 free spaces. Or even 3. A little concession for people's continued support of the site. The events that gift free spaces currently only apply to your main, but a lot of folks don't want to expand just their main accounts because it becomes overburdened and looks messy. That's why we have collection accounts for overflow.

Maybe there could be a cap on how much you'd be charged overall. Maybe something like 200kec. Anything beyond that is still 200kec per space. Congratulations, you put in the work and we appreciate that, that kinda thing.

I want to keep supporting the site, even If that occasionally means putting RL money on it. But it's getting a little out of hand for me and I'm taking a little step back in terms of cove expansion.

Thanks for the tag, @dragiigy
I hope nothing I've said is offensive or argumentative. It's only my perspective for where I'm at right now.

Female
340 posts

fainne_24 • 2 March 2022 at 2:15 PM

@ida92 I totally support you!

I would add, in the impossibility of doing what you propose:

At least to make it fair I think the minimum number of cove spaces should equal the number of species available on eggcave.

Female
11 posts

aventurine • 2 March 2022 at 2:41 PM

@ida92 - I support you, too.
And I also have the same opinion as @fainne_24 : yes, the number of cove spaces should be equal to the number of available species.
😊

Female
471 posts

sandara • 2 March 2022 at 3:06 PM

@frankenstein
I totally agree with you, maybe if Ian decided to implement monthly daily/missions for the Cc it could also be one of the prizes. (so people still would have to do some work).
By the way, good job on your cove I imagine it was really hard to get that much to expand 😃

As for keeping the expanded price 200Ec, it would make it easier for a lot of players, but if we think about a bigger picture, honestly, I don't know, 'cause:
1. They would have to return the Ec spent to everyone for it to become fair (And I think it would not be easy).
2. I am pretty sure that would decrease the creatures being sold as it would increase the holders (there is a lot of users that only sell their creatures because they don't have more space).
3. I think the overloading error that happens sometimes would possibly become a bigger issue (there are little coves with over 1,000 creatures, now imagine having coves with over 100,000 - For me getting my cove to 100,000 would only take a little more than half of my Ec).

P.S. That's my opinion, I don't mean any harm 😋

Female
170 posts

muppet • 3 March 2022 at 12:31 AM

I absolutely agree.
I'd even say cove spaces could be like 1000EC to expand. That way you still have to do some clicking but those of us with bad wrists, kids, jobs, etc could keep up.
They put out a minimum of 4 new creatures every month, which is awesome, so it's not like we don't need the spaces.

Deleted • 3 March 2022 at 4:41 AM

This was suggested over and over, and we're all awaiting some sort of change because the more creatures get relased (or re-relased), the more we players will struggle. It's unthinkable that we have to pay 2mil for ONE single cove space on the long run. Considering making ECs requires to feed for hours, the situation feels even more absurd - I was having fun on here collecting tasma until I hit the moment in which I couldn't expand anymore because of the pricing mess of it. I really, really hope @Ian takes this matter into his hands as soon is possible 'cause I'm one of these users that is hiatusing due to this. c': And it would be fun to be able to come back often and keep collecting tasma...

Female
2,408 posts

ida92 • 3 March 2022 at 2:57 PM

@dragiigy @storm-sage @lunacharm1037 @amysnow @frankenstein @fainne_24 @aventurine @sandara @muppet @sinthr wow thank you all for the responses! I like how you all show different opinions and this is totally fine. 😊 I can't respond to all of you, as I don't have that much time. I do hope more people share their opinion on this. 😊

Female
35 posts

ida92side • 7 March 2022 at 2:13 PM

I would like to get a little bit more feedback on this. 😊

@tryvegan4theanimals
@natureluvr
@quinoafuntime
@dougprishpreed
@riceboysleeps
@beta
@vanley

89 posts

dougprishpreed • 7 March 2022 at 2:20 PM

@ida92 I disagree with this, as cove expansion is one of the only reasons why older players need lots of EC. Without costly cove expansions, CC would become even harder to acquire and CSPs would become even harder to acquire for free players, since older players would accept EC even less often than they do now. Once @ian adds a feature for free players to get CC, like with the EC to CC terminal suggestion, then maybe this could happen.

84 posts

quinoafuntime • 7 March 2022 at 2:32 PM

@ida92 Though I want to support your post, I also agree with @dougprishpreed. I think that a bigger problem than cove expansions costing too much is how inflated CC is and how hard it is to acquire it for casual players. For late-game players, one of the only uses for the EC currency is cove expansions. If they got rid of that, then there would be no way that older players would agree to trade rare creatures for EC (since they would have no use for it).

IMO priority should be given to making the site less pay to win first, and then we can talk about reducing the price of cove expansions.

Female
2,408 posts

ida92 • 8 March 2022 at 2:58 PM

@dougprishpreed @quinoafuntime Thank you both for an opinion. I am an older player though who does not want to sell their pets and also does not have a lot of time to get EC, so there are different points of view. Every one counts. 😊

@stellalunagirl

118 posts

lobstertheremin • 8 March 2022 at 3:55 PM

I think @quinoafuntime and @dougprishpreed are right. Older players, please have sympathy for us newer players who don't have lots of real life money to spend. If cove expansions cost less, why would anyone want to trade their older valuable creatures for ec? Getting our wishlist creatures is already impossible enough, but making cove expansions cheaper would made it even more impossible. How about selling some of your old cave creatures for ec?

89 posts

dougprishpreed • 8 March 2022 at 4:11 PM

@lobstertheremin Yeah exactly. This site is already real unbalanced in favor or older players who were lucky enough to have discovered the site earlier on. For us that just found EC recently it's such a slog, and it's constant "CC only" and "not taking EC" everywhere you look. At least with the way it is now, the playing field is leveled a bit. Not enough, but it's a bit more balanced. Lots of you have gigantic coves filled with rare and valuable creatures. At least the expensiveness of cove expansions maintains a level of challenge even for older players.

Female
2,408 posts

ida92 • 12 March 2022 at 2:30 AM

Some more pings. 😊

@laylamocha
@widgetspinner
@wolfie-chantheulimateweeb
@flaming_vixen

Female
2,200 posts

thedarkarcher • 12 March 2022 at 5:18 PM

I understand a lot of view points on here. Cove expansions are extremely expensive and it's honestly hard to obtain more, I gave up collecting elephants for a long time because of this.

However I understand the ec balance as it's really hard atm to get new creatures. I really think that adding more exclusive ec exchange pets more often like the sar would be a massive improvement to this site as users would have more reason to save up and trade ec and be able to collect more creatures too.

150 posts

greengrassoftunnel • 12 March 2022 at 9:15 PM

Originally, I thought this was a good idea. But after reading some posts here, I'm not so sure. EC deflation is already a serious issue, and I'm scared that this would make it even worse. Adding a converter to turn EC to CC would be a big help in my opinion. Whatever it is though, something needs to change about CC before this idea should be implemented.

Deleted • 12 March 2022 at 9:27 PM

I mean, it seems a little ludicrous that a cove space can reach up to 500k EC. I suggest that there be a limit to it. Such as when reaching up to 100k EC, maybe the cave expansion price returns to 25-50k EC? I mean, at the very least let's keep the pricing reasonable.. When you start to pay 50CC for a cove space, does it seem reasonable? At least to me, it isn't...

139 posts

viltuvitrast • 12 March 2022 at 9:51 PM

Without the huge prices though, there would be no reason why people need large amounts of ec. Then it will become impossible to get expensive creatures unless you spend money on the site for cc. @dougprishpreed said it the best -

This site is already real unbalanced in favor or older players who were lucky enough to have discovered the site earlier on. For us that just found EC recently it's such a slog, and it's constant "CC only" and "not taking EC" everywhere you look. At least with the way it is now, the playing field is leveled a bit. Not enough, but it's a bit more balanced. Lots of you have gigantic coves filled with rare and valuable creatures. At least the expensiveness of cove expansions maintains a level of challenge even for older players.

I'll bump the ec to cc converter post 😊

Female
2,408 posts

ida92 • 13 March 2022 at 12:16 PM

As I understand that this might create an imbalance, I also agree with what @laylamocha said. The larger the cove the more expensive the expansin, whre it gets to the point that prices reach ridiculous levels.

Also not all old users have the possibility to obtain large amounts of EC.

84 posts

quinoafuntime • 13 March 2022 at 2:27 PM

@ida92 To clarify, I like your idea! It's true that paying six figures for a single cove expansion is crazy. However, making them cheaper would deflate the value of EC quite a bit, and it's already deflated. Something must first be done to make CC more attainable for all players. Otherwise, I think this change would have an overall negative effect on the site.

Female
2,408 posts

ida92 • 13 March 2022 at 5:00 PM

@quinoafuntime perhaps the EC to CC convertion and cove expansion price revaluation could be implemented together? @ian

This is only an idea.

Cisgender Male
306 posts

tryvegan4theanimals • 4 April 2022 at 5:33 PM

@ida92 - perhaps the EC to CC convertion and cove expansion price revaluation could be implemented together?

Ida, I like your idea of implementing a way to get CC through site gameplay (such as Prairie's idea of an EC to CC conversion terminal that is capped at 500 CC per month) at the same time as a cove expansion price re-evaluation. That way, the value of EC won't be deflated further (and hopefully will be inflated due to the ability to turn EC into CC) and players will also have a realistic chance to get huge coves! Sounds like a great plan to me 😊👍

Thanks for considering it, @Ian 💕