Shoutbox

in Chit-Chat

Female
516 posts

qerrats • 28 January 2019 at 11:26 PM

@soprano It's kinda freaky to know that I eat a banana-clone EVERY DAY!!! o_0 Buuuuuuuuut.... they look like they do now on a tree, right? BTW DID YOU KNOW THAT BANANAS GROW UPSIDE DOWN???

Female
1,568 posts

firedawn • 28 January 2019 at 11:33 PM

@soprano yes on the banana cast please 😉

Female
1,783 posts

skyfall4 • 28 January 2019 at 11:34 PM

@soprano
Black banana dots D: I think I'm blind... maybe I thought those dots were all rotting patches xD

Female
173 posts

soprano • 29 January 2019 at 2:56 AM

@firedawn
Orphan Banana? Banana Black? Eh idk XD

@skyfall4
I figured that the black dots in the center were seeds for quite a while now. What I didn’t know until a few years ago was that sometimes a darker patch on the side doesn’t mean that the banana is rotting. It could be a dent or “bruise” :/

@qerrats
You know, I never fully understood the definition of “upside down” when it comes to a banana. I usually peel the banana from the side with the long stem and thought it was the “top” until I realized I was in the minority (most people peel from the side without the stem), and top wasn’t really the top.

But if that’s the case, does that mean banana are secretly bats? I mean, they both grow upside down...

Female
4,593 posts

mastergemma • 29 January 2019 at 5:40 AM

@soprano @qerrats
Genetic modification in history was just humans choosing traits they liked which ended up changing the genotype of the plants.

Bananas grow in tropical areas. When I was in Queensland for a holiday, my family drove past a banana farm and it was amazing looking at them! They grow in large bundles. and a bag is placed on them to prevent them from falling onto the ground. I also remember that banana is very sensitive to wind and if there's a cyclone the whole plantation will be wiped out.

I find wheat to be one of the most interesting crops. The wheat that is cultivated cannot survive AT ALL without human intervention because the plants had lost the ability to drop the wheat seeds because humans were doing it instead.

Now, have you guys heard of the Acacia tree family? A few years ago there was a huge fight between Australia and Africa about the name Acacia because at the time, scientists discovered through genetics that the Acacia in Australia and Africa were not in the same family. This lead to the fight of which plants kept the Acacia name and which ones had to be renamed. It was a whole thing and there was a vote in which Australia won so our golden wattle are the winners of the name battle.

And don't talk to me about bats, I despise those things. One took a dump on me when I was on holidays and it destroyed my phone case. There were also so many of those things there.

Female
354 posts

corpse • 15 February 2019 at 5:12 PM

I can't believe that we have some genes in common with the banana plant

Non-binary
1,088 posts

moonweaver • 17 February 2019 at 11:34 PM

@soprano @skyfall4 @mastergemma

You know what they say, Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. xD

Female
4,593 posts

mastergemma • 18 February 2019 at 5:00 AM

@soniaexe
I wouldn't be surprised if we still have DNA shared with every creature still... Wait, hang on duh we do share DNA with every eukaryote based on just being a eukaryotic creature. Unless that isn't related with the DNA in which I don't remember...

My laptop is under performing so I've been trying to clear space and see what program is hogging up all of the RAM. I need to figure out what's going on before uni starts and I'm sure I'll be able to find the solution.

Male
2,235 posts

beta • 5 March 2019 at 2:55 PM

Bored

Female
1,783 posts

skyfall4 • 6 March 2019 at 12:24 AM

Who else thinks that the Dragold might be in the VEND this month? đŸ˜±

Female
2,153 posts

prairie • 17 March 2019 at 1:19 AM

I suddenly had an old memory pop up:

We used to have a rooba back from before we got our dog, Prairie. (Honestly we could use one for downstairs with all the dog hair) I wanted a dog really bad as a kid, so I made dog ears, eyes and a tounge to tape onto it and I named it Alice.

Female
86 posts

ryepuff • 18 March 2019 at 6:34 AM

All this talk of food makes me realise I need to eat something but I so can’t be bothered to get anything.
Maybe I’ll walk to the coffee shop with vanilla latte as my motivation lol

When the Dragold tries to take your money but you already put it in the bank: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kEcTJJ0UOeQ

Female
4,593 posts

mastergemma • 18 March 2019 at 8:38 AM

@ryepuff
I wouldn't mind trying a vanilla latte but I really don't like the taste of coffee. Or the buzz. I think I have a low tolerance for caffeine since the one time I did have a latte (I think it was latte, all I know was that it was a weaker-than-coffee drink) I had a jog around my uni campus because I couldn't stay still.

I made a cake earlier today and I've never made a cake so dry before. I do not know how it went wrong, I must have left it in the oven for way too long but it is not burnt.

My grandmother died a few weeks ago and it's still hard not to not think about her. Every time I referred to my grandparents, I would always say my nan and grandad ___ and I even accidentally said this to my father's face today. I felt so terrible as it just rolled off the tongue and we both hesitated for a moment and I said, well, grandad will be visiting. Nan died on Pokemon Day and now I'll never forget that. I was meant to visit a week before her death but my father stopped me from going. I don't know if it was to protect me from seeing her deteriorate or just him forgetting that I said I was going to come as well but I am happy I didn't see her weakened state. That would have killed me. I didn't originally plan on writing this on Egg Cave but I needed to get this off my chest and I can vent here with very little chance of someone I know actually reading this.

Since my grandfather found out I am interested in Archaeology, he has been giving me a lot of his rocks. I don't have the heart to tell him that he's thinking of Geology but I love the enthusiasm he has about the rocks he found long ago. The newest addition to the collection is a huge chunk of crystal that looks like gypsum but can also be some sort of yellow amethyst, I don't know yet. It's super cool and I hope it rains soon so it can be clean. Or I'll chuck it in the pool to instantly clean it (and get into trouble for the messy pool haha).

I've been playing a fair chunk of competitive Overwatch and I was nearly put into Platinum (less than 50 away) but I've steadily been losing SR until now I'm barely in gold. I know I'm a very good Moira player but I'm trying to think of ways to improve so I can remain in gold. Am I always prioritizing heals or am I forgetting and doing damage? How often do I use my ult - can I use it more and get it again before the next major team fight? Am I positioning myself correctly with my team? I suspect I need to work on positioning but I don't know since everything is very situational. Or maybe I should try another character in competitive and see if I am capable of being a decent X or Y character in competitive.

So much to learn, so little time!

Female
86 posts

ryepuff • 18 March 2019 at 9:18 AM

@mastergemma I’m so sorry about your grandmother and I know how it feels. My great nan is in very poor health and doesn’t have much longer to go. When I feel bad I spend time with my pups.
Overwatch is great, I haven’t played much of it because I play by myself and because I don’t like to talk (in person) to strangers it makes it hard for me to get involved with teamwork.

Also, as for the vanilla latte it depends probably where you get it but where I go, it tastes more like a sweet hot drink than a coffee. I understand not wanting the buzz because when I have vanilla latte (esp with how sugary it is) it pretty much makes me manic. It’s nice to be happy and hyper afterwards but it’s not good for me. I’ve been substituting it with peppermint tea and I love that stuff.

Female
4,593 posts

mastergemma • 19 March 2019 at 7:56 AM

@ryepuff

Being female and hearing all of the horror stories about how females are usually targeted on online games when using mics, I was worried that I would be targeted but so far, I have not had any problems. I understand the worry about it but if you go alright, people are usually kind. I've found it pretty fun and my sister has made many decent friends while talking on mic. Zenyatta is an awesome character and I wish I could play him better and I enjoy playing Roadhog but I'm not great at him. I personally adore playing Moira and Sombra. I'm still learning Sombra but I love how she works.

Practice is always important and for newer players, I do understand how it can be very difficult to want to keep playing but it is a fun game. If you are on xbox and decide to play again, I'll happily play with you.

I do prefer sweeter drink, hot chocolates are one of my favourite drinks! I really want to try a white chocolate drink though.

Male
676 posts

chiroptera • 19 March 2019 at 9:06 PM

I've been addicted to a game called Slay the Spire recently. Probably clocked in about 150 hours in the last couple of months or so. Never thought I'd enjoy playing a single player card game so much, but it's honestly a masterpiece of a game.

Female
3,757 posts

sparklefox • 7 April 2019 at 12:37 PM

"Your guess of 34 was not correct at the Wall of Sandrodons today. It was 33. Better luck next time. Try again today!"

Alright, now it's just torturing me at this point. This got a laugh out of me though, haha.

Female
4,593 posts

mastergemma • 8 April 2019 at 8:47 AM

Since my last post, not much has happened in my life. I'm happy with this calm time and I wish for the peace to continue. Narrator: it will not, haha. Hopefully it does though, I'm confident things will be well for a while. As long as I remember to do my homework hahaha!

Earlier today the Vocaloid composer wowaka died. I cannot believe this. He was only 31. He was one of the greatest Vocaloid composers and his popularity was unrivalled for a long time. Everyone in the community either loved a wowaka song or have heard of one, he was such a huge composer! He has at least 5 songs in the Vocaloid Hall of Legends (1,000,000 to 9,999,999 views on NND) and so many more in the Hall of Fame (over 100,000 views but under 1 million on NND).

This has hit me harder than I care to admit. Please, everyone, do your best to stay healthy.

Female
86 posts

ryepuff • 21 April 2019 at 8:43 PM

I’m sleepy dudes

Genderqueer
666 posts

mightyeglantine • 22 April 2019 at 11:58 PM

Just finished the Easter egg hunt, also I've been studying in MĂ©xico for the better part of 4 months now and I am very ready to go home.

I don't want to say I hate the people I am living with but it'd be an understatement to say I don't hate them. They aren't terrible people, they just are not the easiest to live with by any stretch of the imagination. My class which is studying at a research station in the state of Sonora, Mexico is made up of 9 students and our field assistant, as well as our 2 professors.

Class is generally from 9am to 5pm (09:00-17:00) and it can be quiet fun but also exhausting at the same time, especially since it involves a lot of in the field work with plants and the like. I've finished the majority of my big projects for the course but there is still a scientific research paper I have to finish (I'm about 3/4 of the way done with it), we've also got a group paper that needs to be written, as well as two practicums to do and one final presentation on ArcGIS mapping software. Living with the people I live with makes being here much more difficult and like I know they don't try to make things more difficult but that's just a side effect of having so many different people live together for an extended period of time.

I think the most aggravating thing is the food situation though. Eating as a group is exhausting as we've got 10 people to feed as a group with 3 vegans, 1 gluten free, 2 vegetarians and 1 carnivore(lol). So meal prep is very interesting trying to make sure everyone is sated, but for the most part we make it work, although at the same time we eat so much food that it's almost ridiculously expensive. I mean I'm one of the vegetarians but I know for a fact that I would be able to eat way less than we currently use if I was eating by myself, I'd just go back to my childhood food of beans, rice and tortillas, as well as sopa de frijol or sopa de fideo when I really felt fancy.

Ooof not to mention the fact that I'm one of 2(two) people in the class that is able to speak Spanish so going anywhere where there will be people makes me feel like a tour guide, constantly having to check to make sure everyone is alright, everyone understands and is comfortable in whatever situation we're in. Even my professors don't speak Spanish.

On the up side we went out on last Wednesday with a small group of people from the ComcaĂĄc indigenous peoples to harvest medicinal plants as well as learn about the plants. It was a ton of fun just being present doing something that I love while also being able to run around in the desert speaking Spanish with other Mexican(ish) people. Overall we collected about 10 different plants that are useful for various things, we then took these plants and processed them to make salves and soaps which we got to keep so I'm very hype about that. . .

. . . . okay I'mma stop rambling now jajajaaa

Female
4,593 posts

mastergemma • 23 April 2019 at 7:58 AM

Since my last post I was right in thinking that things weren't going to remain calm. But it hasn't been bad, just very, very, very busy. I had a few assignments due then the holidays which I spent camping for a few dauys only to return for another assignment. Then I found out that one of my assignments was extended another week and I'm furious as there was nothing telling us that this was happening. I could have spent more time on the assignment but now I don't have the time. The remainder of the holidays will be spent on uni work, cleaning, visiting the grandparents, DnD and a Pokemon EX raid which should be alright. Argh that'll be another Deoxys Defense form that I don't need. At least shiny Meltan is back so I can scream out in joy. I just want a few days alone to do nothing but I need to plan some events for my club at uni since no one else will bother helping me. All I asked was to do a little research about finding out which cinema was holding Detective Pikachu and if we can book it out for a screening of it, it's not that hard and it would save me from doing everything, as usual. I seriously have to plan everything myself, maybe next event I'll just say I'm busy on the day and not provide anything... oh crap we forgot to give out prizes for out last competition.

MELTAAAAAAAAAN ❀

Male
2,298 posts

whitefire • 27 April 2019 at 3:23 AM

Hmm, I just signed in tonight on a whim after a year or so of absence and was debating whether to post a topic about returning since I'm sure I'll just disappear again, but then I remembered the Shoutbox exists.

So uh... Hi, I joined up a few years ago, was active for about a year, and then disappeared for a few years. Then I came back for a few weeks! Then I died again. Then I came back for a couple more weeks! And then died again. Following that pattern I will probably vanish again soon. But while I'm here I might as well give a bit of an update.

I'm currently a sophomore chemistry major in college (I took a bunch of college classes in high school... I regret the calculus). I also play rugby at said college. I play hook. It's very dangerous and I've had two concussions this season. The first one was fine but the second one was misery. Luckily the miserable one was at the playoffs, so I didn't need my head for any more important games.

I spend a lot of time playing Overwatch, sleeping, and studying. Rather, flipping through my textbooks and notes in a way that could loosely be described as studying. I have no idea how to actually study.

So, that's me. How's everybody else doing?

Female
15 posts

sapphiremoon • 27 April 2019 at 6:13 PM

Congratulations on college and sports. 😊 I regreted taking college classes in highschool too. I took all of my easy classes (History, English comp, etc.) then I had no easy classes to cushion my GPA and give me an easier start when I first got started in the university I went to. I'm back too I suppose, lol. I actually signed up for an account a few years ago, but only played for a day or two then completely forgot about it, lol. I found the site again the other day and realized I had an account already, so here I am.

Male
2,298 posts

whitefire • 27 April 2019 at 7:35 PM

@Sapphiremoon (Hope I pinged you right--haven't done this in a while)

Hey, thanks!
Ah, yeah, that sounds rough--I didn't really have much of a choice about taking the classes I took. Because the population within each grade was so small at my high school (there were 65 of us in my graduating class!), they stuffed us all into Honors classes early, then AP classes in junior year, and then in senior year we had some choice between Dual Enrollment and AP for certain classes. But it sounds like a much better idea than it ends up being. I went into college with two years' worth of English credits, US History credits, and Calculus I credits. I still got lucky with having easy classes (Intro to Criminal Justice, Latin, and Stats first semester and Modern East Asia, World History from Origins to 1400s, Latin II, and some crappy literature class this semester) outside of my chem courses, but now I'm way ahead in gen ed credits and am struggling through chemistry. It's weird. What did/are you majoring in in college, if I may ask?

Oh wow, haha. I was active for a good long while when I first signed up and just haven't completely quit yet, it seems. The last time I actually remember being on here was, looking at your profile, around the time you signed up, but apparently I was active at some point in 2017.

Female
15 posts

sapphiremoon • 28 April 2019 at 1:40 AM

@whitefire I think we had 72 in our graduating class, but we had the opposite problem. We didn't have enough funding to afford teachers to teach AP classes, but we had computers that you could take online AP classes on or you could dual enroll at our local community college. Otherwise, you had to take classes that were way behind the level that they should be because we had the no child left behind policy where classes were taught to the slowest learners. Anyone wanting to go to college pretty much had to take online classes or find a way to pay for dual enrollment or they wouldn't be prepared for college at all. I still wasn't prepared. I had a rough beginning, but I got the hang of things. I graduated last year in Horticulture. This year, I've been starting my own farm. 😊 I play a lot of virtual pet games. I'm not sure why I didn't get into this one when I first started. I occasionally go a while without getting on many games if I have something important that takes a lot of time going on in real life. I may have started it right before one of those times. I'm enjoying now that I've returned, though.

Male
2,298 posts

whitefire • 28 April 2019 at 1:53 AM

@Sapphiremoon
Oh wow, that does sound terrible. My school was a magnet school (it was for the arts, but they required good grades when you auditioned as well), so we all kind of had to be pretty advanced in order to get in at all. The No Child Left Behind policy sounds really good, but in a small population with limited funds... it sounds like it kind of leaves the crowd on the opposite end behind. It's great to hear that you still pulled through, though! Starting a farm sounds like an interesting task. How is that going?

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. It's good that you're enjoying it now, though. I got really into the game for the community at first since things were... not so great for me at my old middle school. I only really dipped out when I started at a new school and found a place in the community there. I'm honestly not really sure what pulled me back in last night. What drew you to the site? Just the fact that it's a virtual pet game in general, or was there more?

Female
15 posts

sapphiremoon • 28 April 2019 at 2:13 AM

@whitefire I went to a public school in one of the worst states for public education, lol. I lived in an okay area, though. In some of the more poverty stricken areas of my state, the schools are horrible. My boyfriend and his best friend (who I met at college) were in one of the poorest counties. They weren't taught how to do math with fractions until after they graduated. They took 2 years at a community college before moving to the college we all went to. They had to do some catching up. The no child left behind policy is great if you can afford to have classes for the people who actually need to learn more too. Without the funding, you just end up holding everyone back. I slept in most of my high school classes or read novels. Sometimes I did homework from other classes. I never took homework home because I finished it in class. That really came back to bite me in college since I never learned what studying was. I just half listened in class, filled out homework, took tests, and made straight A's, lol. I actually got accepted into the honors program at my University and got a scholarship because I made straight A's and had a 30 on the ACT (my school basically taught specifically for standardized testing and nothing else. Plus I enjoyed learning on my own.). I quickly lost the scholarship and honors because I was in way over my head. I almost failed out. I didn't have it as bad as my boyfriend and his friend, though. At their school, they weren't allowed to take textbooks home even if they wanted to because there weren't enough for everyone. Everyone just used the books while they were in class and left them on the desk when they left. The farm is going well. 😊 I'll be going to my first farmers market in about 2 weeks. I'm sorry to hear you had a rough time in middle school. I'm glad that things have gotten better for you. I've just always enjoyed virtual pet games. I love real animals, I love collecting things, and I love art (though I can't draw at all myself, lol) so I guess they combine all of those things.

Male
2,298 posts

whitefire • 28 April 2019 at 2:39 AM

@Sapphiremoon
Oh my gosh, that sounds horrible. I really hope those schools are able to get more funding. That's a miserable state for a school to be in.

Wow, it sounds like you three are really determined to have made it through with all of that against you. I'm glad to hear you all got through it!

Ooh, that's exciting! I've always loved visiting the local farmer's market. What kinds of things are you bringing to sell?

Thanks. It's in the past now, though--I only brought it up because it's the main reason the site pulled me in so much. That and the roleplaying, haha.
Ah, so it sounds like you found the perfect game here! I think that's what pulled me back in, as well. I always did love the creatures here. What kinds of things do you like to collect?

Genderqueer
666 posts

mightyeglantine • 29 April 2019 at 5:42 AM

Turned 20 yesterday, what now? What's left in life? lol

I just got over not being the dancing queen anymore and now I'm not a teen either.

Anyways, spent my birthday in MĂ©xico with family, woke up around 8 to catch the bus here then ate breakfast (eggs, beans and warm tortillas) with my family. From there we just hung out and chit chatted. Functioning entirely in spanish still wrecks my brain if I spend too much time doing it so I took a 2 hour nap lol. When I woke up we went to lunch then went out and bought a cake which was delicious. Now its 2am and I'm procrastinating going to bed lol!

Female
224 posts

cheetahgirl8 • 29 April 2019 at 8:37 AM

a lil bit about me, because my bio isnt already packed with info

i am a 13 year old girl who is finishing 7th grade(amen for that) im also a purebred texen at heart and can be rebelious or stubborn when im helpng a friend or doing something i love helping out with and tend it do it out of compassion, i have 2 dogs, a terrier mix named max, who is my child, and bocker/lab? mix named sniffy who is my brothers child, but i have taken custody over him because he honestly only hangs out with him when im there, and im also the one who lets them outside and brings then back in and i also feed then every night while he is on tech, i also do brazilian ju jitzu as a white belt with my 4th stripe and have a compatition on the 25th of may as well as belt promotions where i will finally get my gray-white belt! but then this summer i will be taking a break and will be doing boxing in the mean time, i think ive typed enough for now.......