Shoutbox

in Chit-Chat

1,134 posts

hikanu • 14 February 2023 at 7:14 AM

@chiroptera "um"s and "uh"s are much better than trying to talk two languages at the same time. My brain shut off, it was probably amusing to witness. It was the second time it happened for me, first time was an at the beginning English exam when I was 17, it sucked being told I'd have gotten top grades if I hadn't been a stuttering mess at the beginning while trying to reboot my brain to English settings. XD

Cis Woman
12 posts

callsatmidnight • 15 February 2023 at 12:09 AM

I kinda dropped off on the site when I lost motivation to get on consistently after being annoyed by the "100 max" limits on rereleased retired adopts. At least I came back for the advent?

Came back because I realized a Cash Adopt I paid money for literally died???
And I don't want to have a cash adopt go to waste so sure I could spend $2 on a resurrect stone, but if I did that to ALL my THIRTY adopts that died (not including any alt trade account adopts), that all adds up...

I feel like each little hiccup I experience kind of kills my goodwill and motivation to keep playing U__U;

Female
2,942 posts

heatherm19 • 15 February 2023 at 6:53 PM

........ Did I just swallow a ball of Play-Doh? I had my two afternoon pills sitting next to some bits of Play-Doh, I took my pills, five minutes later I look down and see one of the pills still sitting there. So, uh, I may have just swallowed Play-Doh. (I'm sure it's fine, little kids eat bits of it all the time, but it was a dried piece that I had 'glazed' with nail polish..... Hmm...)

1,134 posts

hikanu • 15 February 2023 at 6:55 PM

@heatherm19 I'm sure it's fine as long as you don't make a habit of it. XD

Female
1,147 posts

valorieviolet • 16 February 2023 at 5:07 PM

I need to find a travel that looks good on the Terron ):

1,558 posts

dragonii • 16 February 2023 at 5:59 PM

@valorieviolet The Abandoned Dark Castle is a really nice one for Terrons!

The item database allows you to look at items on your creatures so you know what they look like before purchase/use.

Non-binary
1,077 posts

distorted • 16 February 2023 at 6:47 PM

guysbshsush guess who just finaihed an interview!! it was terrifying!! i dont think i got accepted 😭😭

Female
2,727 posts

jlya • 16 February 2023 at 9:26 PM

@distorted
Congrats on surviving the interview though!! That in itself is an accomplishment. Thank goodness I didn't even have to interview for my current job xD

When you misread the daily and accidentally send 10 items to the donation center instead of using them (RIP)

Female
2,942 posts

heatherm19 • 20 February 2023 at 12:08 AM

I know I'm being super impatient here, but today's new dailies haven't loaded yet an it's already 7 after midnight. come on, this is cutting into my ridiculous personal goal of finishing all dailies within the first hour!

Androgynous
92 posts

xlover • 20 February 2023 at 12:14 AM

@heatherm19 you sound like me, I'm just sitting here and impatiently waiting, luckily I'm adventuring on pixel cat's end while waiting~

Gender Nonconforming
1,249 posts

frankenstein • 20 February 2023 at 10:23 AM

My first day off in a while... I thought I would be able to get an early start on the Dailies so I wouldn't be scrambling to complete everything in a handful of hours but it's having an issue :'(

Dang.

1,134 posts

hikanu • 20 February 2023 at 5:47 PM

*Dies dramatically in slow motion*

I've been to the movies with my best friend to watch Avatar in 3D... It was a very long, and very aesthetically pleasing movie... But my best friend can't speak English, she's dyslexic and can't really keep up with the subtitles either. She had little issues following along, which leads us to the conclusion that not a lot actually happened. XD

Before that we ran a shopping center thin because she needed paper crowns.

Right now I am feeling so wasted. Dailies here I come.

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 22 February 2023 at 12:16 AM

First time I didn't get all the dailies done, only missed the "use items" task, because my bf and I were crying laughing at some pet names on here for way too long (light-hearted). 😅😂

Female
189 posts

calenlass • 22 February 2023 at 12:28 AM

Phew, at least not too many quests to get thru today. User shops are hurting my EC coin purse...

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 22 February 2023 at 12:48 AM

@hikanu my heart sank reading about the movie and your friend... but that was not the twist I was expecting. So it sank all over again for the movie itself... I have such high hopes because i loved the first one so much. ...and i almost feel bad, but you had me laughing because in the end that's one heck of a "burn." >.< wowza.

Still, I try not to go into any sequel with too high of expectations. They never seem to capture the magic of the first.
besides... Some films can be enjoyed entirely for their story without any words needed. Or just for the art as they are. And some certainly don't let language be a barrier.
(Wish i could think of the title but there was) a beautiful short film about a boy in a wolf mask, and it was an analogy for autism. It was so well done I hadn't even read the description before figuring that out. Half the time I forget that there were subtitles, just remembering the beautiful profound animation.
Edit: Ah ha! "Metamorphosis. Graduation film by Aitolkyn Almenova"
'The Fox and the Child' is almost entirely without dialog (beautiful, but still a bit sad.)(Originally in French, I watched it with English subtitles, and bought a copy for a friend's Hungarian only speaking 4 yr old when they were all still new here, and she still enjoyed it.)
and of course, the classic 'Fantasia'. ^^
I really wish I'd take more time to watch the really old black and white silent films. I've enjoyed the ones I have watched.

Female
2,942 posts

heatherm19 • 22 February 2023 at 6:52 AM

Welp, it's currently 4:50am where I am an I've yet to go to sleep... I sleep weird times anyways, but for the past 2 hours it's been so windy outside that it sounds like a proper storm and there is no way I can sleep with that. Some places this wind is probably totally normal and people don't even think about it, but those places are definitely not here.

1,134 posts

hikanu • 22 February 2023 at 12:33 PM

@snowywinter It was a beautiful movie, and don't get me wrong, it is worth watching. It's just a little cliché, and they're not really doing anything original with the plot of the story, which is stretched a little thin in my opinion. The sea Na'vi are awesome and the action scenes did get me excited.

I did have to explain a few things that my best friend didn't quite catch, the relationship between two characters and some Na'vi culture that was pretty much glossed over, if you didn't catch the subtitles fast enough.

I try not to set expectations at all, really. If I don't, there's less room for being disappointed. I went in to watch Avatar with the expectations that it would be beautiful to watch, I had not considered what I wanted from the plot at all.

Metamorphosis is a very good short. I stumbled upon it the last time I was running around watching animated shorts. There are a lot of good stories out there that use very few words, if any at all and they still tell a story.
Like Mike Inel's Missing Halloween and Draw with Me. No Halloween has gone by since Missing Halloween was released in 2015 where I have not watched it every Halloween. Somehow I still manage to notice little things every year that just makes it better.
Or one of the more recent ones in Fuelled by Killedthecat Productions from 2021. It doesn't need words, the visuals tell a story just fine on their own.

It's an artform telling a story without using words.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 22 February 2023 at 11:46 PM

@hikanu *nodding along to most of the post*

ooh, I'm going to have to check out Missing Halloween and Draw With Me!

Definitely an artform telling a story without words.
Probably why I appreciate puppetry so much, specifically marionettes. (Even if it is a bit creepy, or considered childish. A LOT of skill goes into that. and one of my favorite sub-genres is the shadow puppetry.)
And mimes. I have LOVED good mimework from a very young age. Didn't even know it was so widely hated until my teens. Like WHY?!
(To put this in perspective, I've never liked dolls and have always found clowns creepy. Never watched or read 'It' either, so that's not why.)

1,134 posts

hikanu • 23 February 2023 at 10:17 AM

@snowywinter I'm not a big fan of puppets and dolls, I tend to find them rather creepy. It was apparent early on that I was not into playing with dolls. But it's still interesting what people can do with it, and of course there are exceptions to the rule. I'm more a fan of stop motion when it comes to puppets, or ventriloquism. And if I do want to creep myself out, I'll watch horror movies with dolls lol.

I have no ideas why it would be hated, mimes can be really entertaining if they're good at their craft. I'll admit I don't watch a whole lot of miming, but I have found it to be rather enjoyable the few times I've watched a mime.

Female
2,230 posts

ashlinnhi • 23 February 2023 at 11:55 AM

AAHHH it took me a good few minutes of scouring through the archives but i think i got the answer for site trivia!!

Female
2,727 posts

jlya • 23 February 2023 at 2:41 PM

Missing all the old players from my early days who either deleted their account or went on hiatus forever :'(
@playermocha345/laylamocha

Female
134 posts

tortoise • 23 February 2023 at 3:09 PM

@hikanu Sorry to butt in on you guys’ conversation, but which kind of dolls tend to creep you out and why? Porcelain dolls have always seemed creepy to me especially when I see them in antique stores. I always feel like they’re haunted or something lol. Also old puppets like ventriloquist dummies and baby dolls. But I actually collect fashion dolls (Bratz and Monster High dolls) and I don’t see any scary elements about them. Just wanted to get someone else’s perspective on why they might be afraid of dolls like Barbie’s since there are definitely some people who are. But what do you think makes them so creepy?

1,134 posts

hikanu • 23 February 2023 at 3:31 PM

@tortoise Not a problem. XD

I think... For the ones I find creepy, they're either too realistic or they enter uncanny valley territory for me. I'm not afraid of them, I wouldn't be running out of an antique store if they have an old porcelain doll on display, but I'd never want one within the confines of my own home just to put it on display.

And, well, I don't find Barbie and Bratz creepy, I just never liked them much myself. I did have 2 barbies growing up... I never played with them, I couldn't work out what I was supposed to do with them, and they never interested me.

I think I would nope out hard if anyone wanted me to treat a reborn like a real baby. I'm not even sure I'd want to hold it. They are really impressively made and I can appreciate the work that went into them, but no thank you.

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 23 February 2023 at 7:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMEWY4ZszUs

He's soo cute lmao... XD :,)

1,134 posts

hikanu • 23 February 2023 at 7:26 PM

@daisycat It's already hard enough not to dance to the beat of that song. Dancing lizard does not make it easier. XD

Ah, takes me back.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 24 February 2023 at 9:19 AM

It was hours ago and I'm still wondering how adding (pureed carrots) to my pasta dish made it taste somewhat like tomato basil (Italian) or a non-spicy tikka masala (Indian) o.O
The base is more of a creamy sauce like Alfredo. (I mean, masala is creamyish, but tomato flavor from carrots? What's the SCIENCE?!)

(And am I the only weirdo who regularly pronounces it Tiki MaR-sal/Sell-La? I know it's wrong, and I keep trying to correct myself, but I've literally never *heard* it said. And if I have it's only been a handful of times on TV.)

Edit 3:45 PM 24 Feb 2023
It has been exhausting, spent the past few days finishing up buying things from shops for a User Shop Restock theme I had been planning. Finally finished, but the result is so worth it. Even if my little Easter egg nods to specific things will most likely go unnoticed. I know it was there. In a way this is like sand art.

If anyone wants to check it out before the Quest purging happens, search 'Original Snowball Maker' It's common enough right now that I repriced it as the most expensive so that if you do a shop search it will take you to near the beginning of the theme so you don't have to scroll as much

not asking anyone to buy (or not to buy) just mentioning it as a gallery browsing option. (Just now I was like "Hey! at least browsing through a gallery, the art usually doesn't go home with the buyer until after the exhibit is done!" But ooof, this was bad enough pricing about 150 items in two days for Shop; I'd hate to have had to make that many Auction lots! )

3:25am 25th Feb
OMG, I wasn't even planning on being up right now (but I hadn't fed the pets yet and fell asleep on the floor and knew i had to get up to feed them.)
But I just found my 2nd Loveer in the Cave! Second... in this entire month!
I wonder if anyone else who is on as often has had as awful of luck.

Female
1,319 posts

twinkle • 1 March 2023 at 2:49 AM

Is there still a ping limit?

1,134 posts

hikanu • 4 March 2023 at 6:44 PM

Someone tell me why I am researching obscure angels, and am as irritated as I am excited, at the lack of information on them? XD

Female
2,230 posts

ashlinnhi • 6 March 2023 at 7:23 AM

i've realised that i'm feeling quite excited for the upcoming easter egg event!! probably because this will be my first after many years of being away hehe. the site and player-base may have changed/grown over all this time, but the community atmosphere during these events is still very wholesome, i think! (at least that's what i felt during this year's choco-extravaganza, which was the first event i actively participated in since coming back)

Female
2,942 posts

heatherm19 • 8 March 2023 at 6:08 AM

It's 4am and I haven't been to sleep yet. ... Looks like I'll be napping most of the day. Again.
(Oops, almost forgot I have therapy at 2pm, have to make sure I'm awake then! lol)