Shoutbox

in Chit-Chat

1,134 posts

hikanu • 27 March 2023 at 1:04 PM

Trying to plan a trip with my best friend.

We kind of want to go to Paris but I have two problems. I can't speak French and I am quite directionally challenged. (For reference, I have the ability to get lost in a mall.) - What do I do if I we get lost in a part of France where people are bad at English? XD
I am legit terrified at the prospect. And I am still not over how difficult it was trying to get french fries in the French speaking part of Belgium 10 years ago when I'd wandered in there with a couple of classmates in search of food, it was beyond frustrating.

And in my brain I'm like: "Are French people still as bad as English as they used to be??? I don't know."

- Yes I am low key panicking over hypothetical situations. But I know I'll panic more if I'm not prepared for said situations lol.

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 27 March 2023 at 7:38 PM

@hikanu

Prior to your trip, download a map that you can access on your phone offline. Have a list of French phrases like where is the nearest toilet, police station, hotel, hospital, etc. also on your phone or a piece of paper in your pocket. I also hear people say they ask 'what do you recommend' to whomever is serving them food for some really good ways of getting local and basic foods. Also have your hotel address written down, take a picture of the name on your phone and make sure to have an agreed location set with your mates if any of you get lost and you aren't able to contact them.

A trip to France sounds very exciting!

Female
2,145 posts

cranberrycat1 • 27 March 2023 at 7:52 PM

I’ve been to Paris before about 10 years ago too, I hope you have fun there with your friend 😊

1,134 posts

hikanu • 28 March 2023 at 11:46 AM

@mastergemma Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely keep those in mind. 😃

Gender Nonconforming
1,249 posts

frankenstein • 30 March 2023 at 10:39 AM

I'm feeling super overwhelmed lately, and I'm very anxious. There's so much happening in the world, in my home, at work, etc... and inside I feel unsettled. Jittery and unwell. And then I very obviously distract myself with inane and pointless things to divert attention from what's bothering me. I don't know if this is a sustainable model of adulthood. I've always defended being a sensitive person, and I'll die on that hill, but life is so much more difficult when you care too dang much about literally everything, lmao!

Forever stressed, baby.

Female
2,950 posts

heatherm19 • 30 March 2023 at 12:00 PM

@frankenstein Sending hugs and health-vibes!

A mix of depression and anxiety has got me struggling lately, the depression makes it hard to motivate myself to get anything done and then when I try to do the things my anxiety is like wait hold up too overwhelming noooo! And my threshold for 'overwhelming' seems to get lower and lower (unloading the dishwasher can bring me to tears, seriously).

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 30 March 2023 at 12:04 PM

@frankenstein

everything you said = constant mood. *virtual hugs* <=== The only line I meant to comment
The run-on stuff it says anyhow. ===>
as my heath started to take a downturn I had to quit all my activism stuff, it was just getting to be too much. There was always something/one in peril, and I no longer had anything left in the tank to give.

These days, I'm lucky if I can make it through the day with no panic attacks and get even one email out a month.
I have a hard time sleeping because my brain is always on alert and waking me up for something. Unseen threats, noises (even the quietest, i.e mosquito flying across the room,) or "hey, this is the time you wanted to wake up, RIGHT?!" *looks at clock* 'I had 3 more minutes brain. THREE!' (And it's not a circadian rhythm thing, as I set it for all sorts of weird times. Couldn't tell you what month or year it is most the time, but I can usually tell approx what time of day it is.)

I know I have all these things that *need* to be taken care of, but it's a crushing debilitating weight most of the time. I feel like time itself is going to bulldoze me. *insert artwork of the White Rabbit trying to run away from the Langoliers*

1,134 posts

hikanu • 30 March 2023 at 12:35 PM

I was woken up by chainsaw this morning at 7:40am.

Since it was only for 10 minutes, it was marginally better than being woken up by a lawnmower that won't shut up for half an hour, and sounds like the military pilots are taking their planes for a spin.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 30 March 2023 at 12:57 PM

@hikanu oof!
I got woke up early by clinking in the kitchen (almost nails on chalkboard effect that most people have, goes right through me like a sharp pain. wasn't a slow wake up, it was more instant than someone shaking me awake (not that anyone makes it close enough to me to do so before I wake up.)

On the day they shot down the balloon over Lake Huron, I actually heard them go by and was thinking that didn't sound like their normal training exercise sound. That it sounded like they were on their way TO something. But i was like 'nawww, I would have felt it in my bones if something was up.' lol (Guess my intuition was off that day.) But I mean, I've only ever heard them do training exercises (1st hand.) It sounded more urgent than even when skies are being patrolled on a presidential visit. (Which is slightly elevated to the normal whoosh.)

1,134 posts

hikanu • 30 March 2023 at 1:09 PM

@snowywinter Yup. At least I managed to get another couple of hours after they finally stopped hauling away the tree they cut down yesterday. But why, oh why could they not have used the chainsaw for 10 minutes YESTERDAY when it was 3PM and they stopped for the day?

Guess it happens that intuition is off some days.
We have these robotic lawnmowers that run from Spring to Fall but sometimes there is this guy who cuts it with a small tractor. I was so unprepared the first time they did it that I couldn't recognize it for what it was. At that point I was used to the military airplanes going overhead every other week, so my initial thought was, "are they flying in circles or something? What on Earth are they doing?" XD
Turns out it wasn't them at all, just some guy on a lawnmower going back and forth outside my bedroom window.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 2 April 2023 at 9:06 PM

Just a reminder for another seemingly early 2 x EC Feed Day. Giving early notice as I'm sure some of yous are going to have travel plans. Coming up in 6 or 7 days (depending on time zone or your pattern of speech.) DFD falls on April 9th this year, Easter Sunday.

Female
328 posts

passionate • 3 April 2023 at 1:49 AM

the plesiloch egg is so cute i'm dying

i can relate to the anxiety thing so very much. if anyone is struggling and wants to vent into the void i am here

1,134 posts

hikanu • 4 April 2023 at 12:02 PM

I have run into 3 people from my apartment complex today... I've only left to do grocery shopping. XD

Female
2,733 posts

jlya • 4 April 2023 at 12:40 PM

Currently need a nap and some lunch but of course the challenge dailies take priority over my health xD

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 5 April 2023 at 8:27 AM

@frankenstein
You're doing really well if you can recognise when it's becomming too much. I'm really proud of you ❤️ Future you will also be proud of how you handled yourself during these times.

As @snowywinter said, there's always someone in need of help and it's really important to know when to stop. An individual can only do so much and is it worth doing more if it will only hurt you? I'm a part of the # IamHere movement and they specifically say, only do what you can when you can so, hopefully, it doesn't overwhelm us. There have been times when I disappear for weeks because I cannot continue reading such vile attacks directed to myself just for spreading a positive comment.

@heatherm19
The dishwasher cycle is so annoying but it'll never truly end, the cycle of clean to dirty to clean dishes must continue! I have a friend that will clean the dishes while they cook so they don't have to worry about it at a later point and then the very last few dishes go into the dishwasher.

I have finished watching both seasons of Ace Lightning. I hope to find the opening on Spotify as I will fall asleep to that easily and it's just such a relaxing song. Overall, the show is still pretty okay apart from the outdated graphics but still pretty solid from when it was released. Now if anyone asked if I had a childhood crush, I can now confidently answer, yes, yes I did but it's a computer game character lol

I smashed out some crochet but still haven't been able to finish the teddy bear. Hopefully tomorrow I can try and smash it out again. I may also be able to finish the tattoo I got tomorrow so that'll also be nice.

I don't know what to watch on YouTube atm.

Female
2,232 posts

ashlinnhi • 10 April 2023 at 12:50 AM

AAAHH NOOOO I HOPPED OFF A PAGE JUST AS I SAW AN EGG :uncontrollable sobbing:

(edit: AHA just found 4 in the last 20 minutes. take that you obnoxious yeep-ing weggy)

also omg @mastergemma what tattoo are you getting >o>

childhood crushes are valid no matter what they are, they're always so funny to think back on. i think my most prominent crush was um... Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians LOL. i was so obsessed with that movie i even made an RP that i'm pretty sure you can still find under my forum topics xD

(i feel myself reverting back to using emoticons since most emojis don't work on Eggcave...)

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 10 April 2023 at 1:47 AM

@ashlinnhi

I feel myself reverting back to 2015 me and I don't think I can stop it XD

When my tattoo heals I'll chuck up an image to the discord. I'm so happy with it so far ❤️

You can press the back button and most of the time it'll be there.

I didn't really have any childhood crushes so realising I did actually have one was a wild ride for me. I did have a crush on a friend but I realize now it wasn't really romantic feelings.

Ohhhh Matryoshka and Meltdown are 100% classic Vocaloid songs and I'm happy those are still popular today. My mate and I were going to do Matryoshka cosplay but we never ended up doing it. I keep trying to play Project Sekai but I can never get past the introductions. I'll probably try again soon.

Yeah, I do mean Vaundy but I completely butchered the name. Vaundy is so skilled, I love, I love so much. Ahh I had no idea that Usseewa was by Ado, I mainly listened to a cover of that song.

I also read the CSM manga and finished the first arc within days, it is so good.

My job is a pick-packer in a warehouse and it's such a great way of keeping fit. Seriously, try crochet and embroidery. There are some really cheap sets of embroidery at like... Kmart and their diamond art and cross stitch is pretty cheap for beginners too! I started with cross stitch, moved to embroidery, moved to punch needle and then moved to crochet lol.

Punch needle is weird but oddly satisfying.

If anyone wants to watch a really, really bad film watch Storm Cell (2008). I couldn't even finish it. it was that bad.

Female
2,733 posts

jlya • 10 April 2023 at 1:21 PM

I can feel myself getting too attached to another show/fictional characters. I know this is not going to end well but I'm just along for the inevitable ride at this point.
*sigh* Not again.

Female
2,557 posts

dragrawr • 10 April 2023 at 4:00 PM

@jlya which ones I’m curious ? X]

1,134 posts

hikanu • 10 April 2023 at 7:46 PM

The worst part about my apartment looking better than it has in a while... Is that it still looks like a mess. XD

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 11 April 2023 at 12:36 AM

@jlya I get *way* too attached to fictional characters.

...and one of my shows just brought back a side character, the one I even started watching the series *because of*, ... only to kill him off *big crying emoji* (for the curious... the 9-1-1 shows... as the character crossed over from the original, now into the spin-off.)

and shows... generally any I *really* like end up getting cancelled. Usually sooner rather than later. Shows i really get into usually have a maximum of a three season lifespan... if i'm lucky.

@hikanu oof... I hear you there.
(Back when i *could* clean... it seemed like no matter how many hours i put in it seemed like so little progress was made. Sometimes taking before and after pictures became a necessity for my own sanity.)

Female
2,557 posts

dragrawr • 11 April 2023 at 12:49 AM

My roommate fell off her bunk bed and I am currently trying not to laugh- shes okay perfectly fine- but man.

1,134 posts

hikanu • 11 April 2023 at 8:28 AM

@snowywinter At the very least, I don't have soil on my floor from where I repotted my plants months ago lol. It's really weird when you're used to having a dirt patch in the middle of your living room and now it's not there anymore, so you don't have to step around it. XD

Female
2,733 posts

jlya • 11 April 2023 at 2:17 PM

@dragrawr
Currently I'm head-over-heels for the show Doctor Who ❤️ The last couple episodes haven't been very good but the next one is a two-parter that is famous for being good but heartbreaking. I'm not prepared :')
I like a lot of shows but I'm not usually one to get deeply attached to a show or characters but once in a while one hits me and it's not good xD

@snowywinter
Same here! They always cancel the good shows :')

Edit: Watched it and yep. Utterly crushed.

Non-binary
67 posts

endrolled • 19 April 2023 at 12:44 AM

i am trying to convince myself to post on the forums here more often. they seem very welcoming and i can't help but be drawn to that, even though i'm usually kind of shy around forum spaces ^^;;

1,558 posts

dragonii • 19 April 2023 at 8:13 PM

@endrolled I completely understand how you feel, 100%.
But, I think its neat that you are trying to be more social around form spaces, despite being shy around them. 😃

----
Man, recently I've been trying to collect more CC for all of the re-releases recently, and its been hard finding people willing to train ec for cc haha.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 24 April 2023 at 12:26 AM

I'm not asking for the answer to the question itself, but is that a new question TYPE on Site Trivia?
I don't remember it ever asking for Year before.

(Didn't feel like making a whole topic to ask something that can be answered in a few words.)

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 24 April 2023 at 12:46 AM

@snowywinter
I think you're right! I don't recall seeing one like that before.

Female
2,733 posts

jlya • 27 April 2023 at 7:01 PM

Finally got around to doing a tiny bit of profile organizing. I feel slightly accomplished xD

Also used the 100CC from this month to finally put a star on Svea! ❤️ My first ever Eggcave creature ^^

Female
2,950 posts

heatherm19 • 27 April 2023 at 10:21 PM

@jlya It must feel great to finally get a star on your very first creature! I don't even remember what my first creature was, but I starred my first big wishlist-get (my wonderful Laika).

I made a goal this week to get my freezies tab totally updated and my goodness. I did the easy ones first, they are all nice and cozy in the tab now, but it's hard to figure out the best way to do the rest. I wish we could sub-sort our 'your creatures' page... Like, I can filter by frozen, but then I can't sort those by species. (Or, to make it even easier, have an option to 'add all frozens' to a cove-list, the way you can add all mortals or immortals...)