New Cave Limited Beta

in Problems & Bugs

Female
3,600 posts

spiritkoi • 5 January 2014 at 7:42 AM

@Ian So far, no problems but I have a little suggestion. Maybe have the previously stolen eggs show the gender too?

Female
1,194 posts

puppymaks • 5 January 2014 at 8:39 AM

@Ian
All is great, except one thing.
I hate going from page to page. I more liked old way, when it just open a tab, not re-direct you to new page... But this if we lose a link, that what you can view all eggs down - is great.
I would more like tab again not directing to new page πŸ˜‰

This counting before next stealing remands me on Halloween Fair games ^^ Time left to next try: oo😱o πŸ˜‹

Female
8 posts

vyala • 5 January 2014 at 9:37 AM

It seems a whole lot more user friendly

Deleted • 5 January 2014 at 10:17 AM

@puppymaks
Mmmh at this point, I have to agree with you. 😊
Surely the new cave is great, but the pop up thing was a good thing too ... it was faster too.

Female
16 posts

ksam2299 • 5 January 2014 at 10:50 AM

Wow! Just got to use the new cave! I really like that it shows you previous steal attempts, and it gives you a chance to go back to them. I didn't see any bugs so far, and I think the idea of the timer with the steal attempts is really cool!

Female
4,807 posts

karamel • 5 January 2014 at 11:02 AM

@bang14982 Uh, what do you mean by "extra eggs we come upon"? You mean the ones we find after we're over 10 steal attempts? If so, then yes, we do; extra steal attempts are now available. c: And the time lapse is (so far) random between 17 to 30 minutes.

@fernlover The time lapse is randomly chosen between 17 to 30 minutes. At least, that's what we've found so far; I've no idea if there's actually some sort of mechanism that calculates a specific time. e_e;;

@angy-love @sarvarnaa The descriptions weren't meant to fit with the creatures; they were completely random. I personally think they weren't convenient /at all/; they were simply misleading. Humourous at times, but only when the description didn't fit with the egg ("omg yes Yamamagans are so icy-cold to the touch"). That's why the (rather vast) majority of the beta testers were against it. Thankfully Ian listened to the userbase and removed those deceiving descriptions (as per the changelog for January 4).

As for the removal of the pop-ups, I'm certainly willing to compromise on speed for reliability. But I've found that pressing backspace (on the 'Get Creature' page) -> Enter (on the main Cave page) -> backpace -> Enter -> etc. is actually pretty quick for me when trying to steal. I tend to do that really quickly, then look at the 'Previously Found' list. c:

@Ian Thanks for the updates! Also, thanks for listening to the users on the Cave Monthlies. Does this mean that the future Cave Monthlies will be retired (as usual) now? o:

Female
738 posts

dafni • 5 January 2014 at 11:02 AM

I like everything about the new cave, except the random phrases under the hidden egg *that now are gone, thanks!* and maybe the pop up window was a bit more pratical, but I think that in the end is really working good like this ^^

Female
1,083 posts

bang14982 • 5 January 2014 at 11:09 AM

@karamel

Thanks for answering my questions.

Female
28 posts

azkitty • 5 January 2014 at 11:21 AM

Eh... I think the cave beta's okay.... I mean, I only ever go to the cave when there's an LE I want, and once I get it, I don't go back to it the rest of the month.

I don't really like how it switches to the next page to show you the egg, the pop-up was better and faster for me. That might just be me though...

Unlike most of the other people on this thread, I find the Previously Found Eggs annoying for some reason, probably because it bothers my eyes when I'm trying to do something else. (namely, looking for a vulpselle of which I think are really cute.) It's probably just me but I would like it if you removed that feature or if there was an option to turn it off.

I was glad that when I looked this morning, there were no more little captions underneath the eggs. They were disturbing and cheesy and made me think, "What the?" I am glad you have removed them.

One of the things I like about the new cave is that it shows you the gender before you adopt. This helps you with naming your creature, so you don't have to make up completely random names that have no meaning. Also, you can avoid adopting YET ANOTHER FEMALE TASMA and get a male one instead.

Female
38 posts

dragontails • 5 January 2014 at 11:29 AM

This is so cool

Female
488 posts

flashbunny • 5 January 2014 at 11:35 AM

I am really liking this, like, really actually love this.
It'll honestly create less "junk" eggs since you can actually see the gender and all too.

But as mentioned before, i did like the pop up window better than the redirection, for me the redirection is a bit slower. Plus i have to scroll down every time to try and catch another (the lazy person that i am apparently)

I like Spiritkoi's suggestion to show genders on previously viewed creatures aswell, but i can't imagine how you'd accomplish that without making it look kind of cluttered and weird.. It works for individual creatures, but for a row of creatures, that's a bit different. Though i do like the idea, so it would be awesome if that would get done somehow.

Also, a way to turn the "previouslyfound eggs" on and off would be nice, again everyone has their own reasons. Some like it with the eggs shown, some without.

Not sure how the coding and how much work that would be though.

I think the little captions under the egg would actually be a good idea if they actually were about the egg.

Looking forward to new updates!

Female
4,807 posts

karamel • 5 January 2014 at 11:52 AM

Oh gosh, please, /please/ don't literally remove the 'Previously Found Eggs' feature. Yes, it'd be nice if you could turn it on and off, but don't remove it. D:
(That's the impression I got from @azkitty --"... removed that feature or ... turn it off...".)

@flashbunny What I do (as I said earlier) is once I get to the 'Get Egg' page, I press Backspace, then press Enter (without having to scroll down) since an egg was already selected. Then rinse and repeat. c: You don't even have to glance at the egg on the 'Get Egg' page; if you do it fast enough, you'll be able to see them all on the 'Previously Found' page.

Doesn't /really/ matter about the amount of coding, to be honest. xP If that was a factor on whether things would be implemented... well, for the vast majority of things, nothing would be on here. "Hmm... a Trade Centre? Seems cool, but pls too much coding so no." πŸ˜‹

Female
886 posts

katelyn • 5 January 2014 at 12:07 PM

@Ian
I liked the scripts previously under the eggs to adopt, otherwise going to the cave is kind of pointless. If you're looking for a particular creature it's easier to guess from the scripts. Otherwise love the update😊

Female
762 posts

thursdays_dove • 5 January 2014 at 12:46 PM

I think it's weird in the logical sense that you can "see" the gender of the creature inside the egg before it's hatched, but for Egg Cave purposes it's perfect! I would name all of my new eggs Yay+name of creature to avoid getting gender-opposite names, and then go to the Town Hall to change it accordingly. This way makes it a little bit more convenient for me too. 😊

On another note, I just want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for allowing us the opportunity to view/steal more than 10 eggs per day! I personally have always had pretty rotten luck in the Cave when it comes to limited releases, and have often had to trade for them. This will definitely help me (and others) in getting the LEs that are only in the cave for a short period of time. So, thanks again! 😸

Female
2,296 posts

kollais • 5 January 2014 at 12:58 PM

@Ian

At the Town Hall name can't exceed 14 characters in length. But if you steel eggs from cave you can use more. For example this or this.

Female
1,194 posts

puppymaks • 5 January 2014 at 12:59 PM

@karamel
Agree. That feature is AMAZING.
Button to turn it on / off would be GREAT!!!

Deleted • 5 January 2014 at 1:01 PM

@Ian

There is one glitch I noticed. On the cave, it shows the countdown on how much time I have left before I can steal another egg. However, when I click on another egg and confirm, it directs me to a page where the countdown has a different number. From what I estimated, the time on that page is a little more than a minute behind on the cave's. I am not sure which one is the accurate one, but I can test once the timer on the cave expires for me.

EDIT: So, I discovered the timer on the different page is the accurate one. When I tried my next steal attempt after the countdown on the cave expired, it took me to the same separate page and showed I still have a minute to go.

Female
488 posts

flashbunny • 5 January 2014 at 1:10 PM

@karamel

i don't like to use the same space all the time. "life" has shown me not to πŸ˜‰
Also my PC's quite slow, so i'm not sure if that'll work.. i'll give it a try though! I mean, why make a fuss if i haven't even tried it x-x''

But still, people shouldn't use tricks to get around EC, you know?

But when i said too much or difficult coding i meant that if it's even possible.. i mean i know nothing about coding, but i do know that things can get messy x-x as much coding as i've done heh..I tend to try and stay "modest" when it comes to coding like.. "hey, i'd like a piece of that cake.. but it's totally fine if you eat it" πŸ˜ƒ

Female
67 posts

angy-love • 5 January 2014 at 1:11 PM

@karamel

Thanks for the answer.
I knew the description was misleading, but I liked it anyway.

I don't know what some users problems are with the actuall stealing. For me it's better without the pop up. I don't have to use the backspace button or anything. I just select an egg, klick approach and if I'm not too interested in the egg I cklick leave egg. The page refreshes itself then and I see all the still avaiable not selected eggs in a row. I don't have to be uber fast too. Last time I left all ten eggs, then I ckicked the first and would still have been able to steal it. I guess the only eggs that dissapear quickly are the ones we would steal immediately anyway.

Female
2,174 posts

dream-within-a-dream • 5 January 2014 at 1:33 PM

Wow! 😊 I really like how the cave attempts now let you go back in 25 minutes! 😊 that is a bonus instead of waiting another day!!! I love it!

Female
61 posts

karly37 • 5 January 2014 at 1:34 PM

This is really nice!

97 posts

mighty-lair • 5 January 2014 at 1:45 PM

Fantastic! Features are great. Having a second chance to get an egg picked... priceless.

Really enjoying ALL the new features! ❀️

Female
10 posts

emmarose14 • 5 January 2014 at 1:59 PM

I hate the new cave BETA. It's annoying that it goes to a new page every time you pick an egg.

Male
2,762 posts

fakeworld • 5 January 2014 at 1:59 PM

@Ian
I love it, but I don't like being directed to a whole new page after approaching an egg. A popup would be much better and easier to work with.

(EDIT)
Just noticed a lot of others posting the same above, sorry.

Female
762 posts

thursdays_dove • 5 January 2014 at 2:06 PM

I could be wrong, but I think they changed it to redirect you to a whole new page because of the infamous cave bug that was happening when the dialogue window would pop up. It was more annoying to me to lose a try in the cave because of that bug. :/

Male
1,610 posts

clayosaurusrex • 5 January 2014 at 2:11 PM

@Ian

I think I might be one of the only users to say this, but the fact that the Cave takes you to a new page is GREAT. You see, I mainly get on with a mobile device, and because the egg used to come up in a pop-up, I couldn't always see the egg. The device would show me just enough of the egg to know what it was. Also, the pop-up would move around if I scrolled, and I accidentally clicked out of A LOT of eggs that way. Then, if my device auto-corrected the name, the error message would pop up, and I couldn't see the name box to be able to steal the egg at all.

I can understand why people that use their computer wouldn't like the idea of going to a new window, but for those that use their phones a lot, it is a great new feature.

Thank you for the chance to try out the new Cave, and keep up the good work!

Female
3,600 posts

spiritkoi • 5 January 2014 at 2:12 PM

@clayosaurusrex That happened to me ALL the time on my mobile!

Male
1,610 posts

clayosaurusrex • 5 January 2014 at 2:14 PM

@spiritkoi

That was the worst thing that could happen on here. XD

It happened to me a lot during CRW and when new Cave creatures that I liked came out.

Female
3,600 posts

spiritkoi • 5 January 2014 at 2:16 PM

@clayosaurusrex Ooo, that must have been bad... I don't mind the loading on to another page but I think that defeats the purpose of the previously stolen eggs...

Male
1,610 posts

clayosaurusrex • 5 January 2014 at 2:21 PM

@spiritkoi

Well, if you think about it this way, it doesn't:

Say CRW happens tomorrow. You're on your computer, and you accidentally hit backspace when you come across a starred version of one of the new creatures. You, having already put the egg's name in, think that you have hit enter and get off of your computer. Then, later, you decide to surf around the web before checking on your new creature and putting it in Tim's. That's when you realize that your creature isn't there. So, instead of having to search through your computer's history, you can just visit the Cave again and receive the creature.