⭐️💰 Monthly Challenge & Dailies Feedback Megathread

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Female
1,735 posts

minnie298a • 2 February 2024 at 10:12 PM

@hikanu
I've kept a lot of the creatures myself as I didn't have them and I feel working towards the tokens more rewarding than making the ec to purchase from others (I still buy random other creatures though). The machine was created to rerelease cave creatures, and the select your creature set up is way better than the original "random creature from a pool" set up.

For those I'm selling, I will wait until they are retiring before redeeming the tokens. The announcement seems to create a FOMO panic and interest response. I sell the creatures for at least 300CC (I check the trades to see what others are selling for). While I'm willing to take some ec, a minimum of 50 or 100 CC must be included, depending on the price.

Female
2,205 posts

ashlinnhi • 3 February 2024 at 12:14 AM

@minnie298a i lurk around this forum from time to time but just wanted to say i really enjoy seeing the stats you collect! also agree that the ‘consume item’ tasks have helped me use more travels rather than hoarding them forever in my inventory lol.

Agender
95 posts

silvia • 3 March 2024 at 5:51 AM

@Ian

Can I please ask for the "use or consume x items" quest to be removed or changed? I have inner OCD and I really, really dislike having a pile of junk items in my creatures' collections. If we had a way to disable a creature's item collection or to empty it, it wouldn't be a problem, but such isn't the case so... maybe we could have a "set a trade lot" quest or "gift x items to someone" instead? It's really troublesome... 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏😭

(Apart from that, I'm finding the quest system very fun and manageable!)

Female
2,919 posts

heatherm19 • 3 March 2024 at 7:57 AM

@silvia This is why I really like the idea of being able to 'swap' tasks, if you find a specific task more trouble than it's worth. I personally love the use-item task as it helps motivate me to put travels on my creatures, but I'd definitely love to be able to 'swap out' the profile-posts task sometimes. ( @Ian is some sort of swap option something that might be considered?)

I'm not sure how good a 'trade lot' task would be, at least the donations task the items always get picked up by someone and no one is inconvenienced by the items, but I could imagine frustration with people making 'dummy' trade lots and then closing them as soon as that daily is checked off. Not a big deal if a few people do it, but easy to see the Trading Center becoming less useful if a lot of people did that all the time.

Agender
95 posts

silvia • 3 March 2024 at 8:03 AM

A swap feature would be nice, but what If the swapped task is the same? ;w; There would be made something to ensure you won't get the same task. Or @Ian could make a feature to "use an item" and "add that item to collection" as two separate things (meaning when you use an item, it gets consumed by the creature, while when added to a collection, it's isn't consumed / doesn't have any effect on the creature and gets added on its collection instead). So the task would be to "use an item" instead of "collecting it". Just brainstorming a little here. (So when you use a travel on a creature, it gets added as background, while when adding it to a collection, it gets added there and won't change the travel... I think that would be useful for item collectors that doesn't want to swap their creatures' travels every time, too... and that would solve the questing issues too.)

Trade lot one is pretty easy, once you make the lot you can always put it down (the quest would be to make a lot, not to complete a transaction, there is something like this in another game I used to play). I understand that could spam the trade lot with unnecessary lots though. What about "putting an item for sale in your shop" instead? Or "buying x items from a npc / user shop" quests?

Female
143 posts

dragongirl02 • 4 March 2024 at 12:02 AM

How is everyone doing with the dailies? Trying to remember to do it a night on weekday nights is a bit of a struggle, but I will have to get used to that. Plus, I need to save most of the skip days. I was warned on the trip the internet might be spotty. Daylight saving will cause an extra challenge, too, as that sets the offset to -6 hours, meaning midnight for ECT is 6 pm HST after March 10. I get off work at 6 pm HST, so see the conflict. Right now, with the offset only being -5 hours, as long as the cave and lag feed errors are not mean (most of the time, they are mean, sadly), I can usually slide under the wire. Yes, Hawaii is one of the states that doesn't do daylight saving, so it messes me up when the offset is like that. I got forced to use one skip on March 1 as Friday did not exactly go as planned, which messed up my plans. Let's just say I thought I would have the whole day off, so I did not worry about the EC daily task, thinking I'd deal with it Friday afternoon.

I think the Hawaii timezone is a little hard to understand for people who haven't lived in said timezone for years. People complain when I complain about issues in the timezone since they don't understand. I come home, eat dinner at about 6:30ish, and sometimes get roped into helping with the dishes. So by the time I get to sit at the computer, it's like 11:50 pm site time, so I only have 10 minutes to do the feeds/cave.

Try this challenge. It would help if you had a fast wifi connection for it to work; it replicates my issues. Use the Ctrl/Cmd + click & Ctrl/Cmd + W tricks (That's what I do). Set a 10-minute timer. Now, try to do 300 feeds in that time, and the site must count it for it to count. You will likely get up to 30+ feed lag errors, so they will have to be redone, making it more like 330+ clicks needing to be done in 10 minutes. It's kind of tricky. (You can immediately refresh once if you catch the lag error, but if it errors out the 2nd time, you have to close it.) I usually break it into opening five pages of feeds twice so as not to crash my browser + the 20 extra needs; many of them will get that annoying slow-down feed error (I call that error a hungry lag monster). They won't count in the site's case, so they have to be redone as they don't count for 300 in the site's case, but to me, they do. So it's more like 320+ feeds needing to be done in 10 minutes.

Even on March 3, which was 100 feeds, 20 didn't take due to the feed errors, so it was more like 120 feeds to me. I did not have to rush as I had more than 10 minutes, but I did it to simulate a rushing-against-the-clock situation.

Female
1,735 posts

minnie298a • 4 March 2024 at 1:25 AM

@dragongirl02
First, thanks for the heads up about Daylight savings. I know the time changes in my country in early April, which because my state doesn't participate, only effects the start time of the footy I don't watch and some pay tv show times. But the American dls effects several website related reset times. Here, in my part of the world, EC should change from 3pm back to 2 pm. Another site, reset changes for 7pm to 6pm and so on.

Secondly: For a lack of a better way of putting it, I believe the feeding errors are a you issue. It's a speed thing. I comprehend that your trying to rush due to your real life and it's the rushing that is the issue. There has always been a speed error. I suspect it's just the way the coding works to count the feed, but it's always been there.

I tried the 10 minute thing you suggested. Using the Ctrl+W/Click method, and waiting until the "Creature Fed (+XXX EC)" bar flashed over, I managed to feed at least 481 creatures through the XC. I started my 10 min timer at 12.39 am with 5000 XC credits and ended with 5481. So there may be a couple more if my creatures where clicked. I did get one "Too many" banner, and I Ctrl+Shift+T to reopen the tabs to make sure I fed it, before continuing on.

I did feed slightly slower than I normally would for the XC, purely to make sure I actually fed the creatures. This cut down the errors I may have gotten, but I still managed over 300 creatures in the 10 minutes. By using the XC, I also qualified for the click and XC click dailies if needed.

Personally, timing wise, it's the Cave approaches that get me. If I forget to collect awards it's because of the cave. I will do the daily, just miss or not get the completion pop up, so fail to go and collect all the awards for the day.

Female
2,919 posts

heatherm19 • 4 March 2024 at 2:30 AM

@dragongirl02 I can definitely do 300 feeds in 10 minutes, and frequently do. When it comes to the feed time-outs I think it's a lot about strategy, a little about speed, and a little plain luck. Myself, I've noticed that I usually get 20-22 feeds in during rapid-feeding before getting a feed error, so I keep count and the 19th or 20th feed I'll deliberately pause for just a few seconds, and that's often enough to end up not getting the feed error to begin with. And I think it'll always be faster to just pause for a few seconds then to get the error and have to refresh and wait.

I generally have no issues with having enough time for the dailies, since I'm usually able to be online quite a bit throughout the day. I have been cutting it close lately, but that's my personal issue due to my sleep schedule being so messed up (fall asleep 8pm Eggcave-time, wake up and rush around 11:30pm....)

edit: Minnie mentioned the completion pop-up, I think it would be *extremely* helpful if that would be consistent! Sometimes I get it but sometimes I don't (almost always for the forum and profile post tasks, less often with quests and trivia). I haven't found any pattern to show why it sometimes doesn't show up.

Female
143 posts

dragongirl02 • 4 March 2024 at 5:18 AM

I have to speed through it. Yes, it's rough. I try to do it at night but tend to forget. That 10-minute challenge is less for me. It cuts it very tight, which causes me a massive headache. Yes, the feed errors are the problems and one of the troublemakers for me. It duped me out of January CC as a feed error lagged on me for too many days. I am still peeved about feed errors doing that to me, which is why I call it a lag monster.

I should have added some more stipulations to the 10-minute challenge. It has to be done with the click exchange page, as I usually try to get it to do the Click Exchange Creatures task simautamisouly, and the 10-minute limit includes opening the browser and getting the site loaded and set up to do the feed race, so it is technically less than 10 minutes for me. Try to have a little time left over to collect the daily rewards in those 10 minutes, too. Sometimes, I get lucky and pull it off in 10 minutes, but it's rare to do that on a 300-feed day as it is more like 350+ feeds due to some feed errors. I don't have time to pause. I think I tried that in January, and it's partly how I got foiled out of the CC bonus since it used a skip day when I paused too much to let the site cool off.

Yes, it will be a pain since I won't have the little wiggle room after March 10. I need the skip days later this month, so I must be extra cautious. I already used one, but I don't mean to, but that was due to screwed-up plans.

I know it will likely end up with some weekday night overnighters, which I am not looking forward to, but I have learned the hard way on another site that sometimes overnighters are needed. The HST timezone is otherwise incompatible, and EC is not the only site where it's needed. A lot of sites have me doing it. I started doing that for another site during a particular event, as it became apparent that it might be my only chance to get the event to work (that seems to have fixed the issues for that site's event and me not having enough time)—speaking of that Monday daily for here, yep, the feeds. The 15 cave feed is also considered evil since I don't know what to do when the cooldown is over 10 minutes, and it's only 10 minutes to roll over time.

Note: I just did the feed, and 200 feeds turned 261. Yep, I had 61 feed errors lag out. I'm rushing so I don't accidentally do a weekday overnighter.

Female
1,735 posts

minnie298a • 4 March 2024 at 6:37 AM

@dragongirl02
I redid the timed challenge.

I started my timer as I turned my computer on. Opened two different browsers. One opened to autoplay Youtube, one opened direct to the EggCave forum page. So I had a video running while I was feeding. While my first load of pages was loading I jotted down my starting numbers and got to feeding, again waiting for the ec feed bar to show. Feed and selected my next lot, as I don't feed click only creatures, I had to avoid opening them up.

I still managed 438 feeds (6003 to 6441 XC credits). Side note, also got 44,374 ec (or an average of 101.31 ec per feed).

I also started the second experiment at 9.03 pm, Monday, my time, or 6.03 am EggCave time.. While most of my neighbours (and one of the people I live with) is contemplating bed, I'm up for several more hours as I need to co collect the other person I live with from work at 11pm my time. Since my last post, I finished my dailies, had a nap, cooked, ate, and cleaned up after dinner. I've also spent ages on another site, cursing that their roll over didn't go as planned, again, and not only can't I get into the part of the site I want, but the forums are down again (seriously, people complain here, but I've tried about 50 times in the last 3 days to log into the forums over there and gotten in once and that was after a 502 bad gateway error refresh. Games are working alright though).

Female
143 posts

dragongirl02 • 4 March 2024 at 1:20 PM

It might differ where you are as I do it at 11:50 pm site time, which may be the peak time, so EC may be under more strain too with the last-minute rushers me included.

Female
1,735 posts

minnie298a • 7 March 2024 at 12:07 AM

@dragongirl02
Challenge Take 3
Start - 11.48pm ECT - 7005 XC
Timer - 8 minutes, to account for everything already being booted up and open (although it took about 40 seconds for me to go from an off computer to feeding on take 2).
End - 11.56pm ECT - 7402 XC

Results - 397 XC (plus 39,800 ec)

Again, I fed at a speed to see the button change. I noticed 2 "too fast" errors, for which I reopened the tabs to feed. Only difference this time was I used the "Feed Preferred" tab for about half the creatures.

Edited for extra experiment.
This time I feed my own cove, at my "not paying attention" speed. This is faster as I'm concentrating more on the second window with Youtube. This was also about 3am ECT as I wanted to make sure I got the feed data from my feed list.
Time taken - between 20 and 21 minutes.
Feeds attempted - 1172
Feeds Registered - 1094
Fails - 78
Fail rate?? - 6.7% (Thanks magenta) 9.1% (I think. My math memory is dodgy as I learnt percentages last millennium and not used that knowledge much. This is attempts/registered but I'm thinking that's not looking right and am willing to be corrected)

Speed - 1.07 seconds per feed
1.15 seconds per success
(1.2 seconds per feed for take 3 above)

So lets say 350 creatures to account for way more fails than I got should take me about 7 minutes. Which would still be doable in a just squeeze it in time.

Female
1,863 posts

magenta • 8 March 2024 at 3:18 AM

@minnie298a hey minnie! if im not wrong, fail rate is about 6.7% (rounded up to 1st decimal place), it's 'fails' divided by 'attempted' x 100! hope this helps 😊

Female
1,735 posts

minnie298a • 8 March 2024 at 4:57 AM

@magenta
Thanks. I'd run the numbers several different ways but couldn't work out which was the right formula for this type of percentage.

Female
233 posts

lilyane • 18 March 2024 at 3:01 AM

Just started doing the Monthly Challenge recently (3rd day today) and I've gotten this as part of today's dailies.

~ Complete 12 Quests
~ Successfully complete 12 quests (any quest type).

I support @heatherm19's suggestion of an option to swap quests (just once is enough), followed by what's mentioned by @silvia where it would be made so that you won't get the same task again.

This is because questing for the Vend Machine (at least for me), well.. not only is 12 a large number of quests to successfully complete in a day, what with some items not found in user shops or priced sky-high and the 1-hour limit before you can start a new quest.

I get that if I do complete a quest, there's only a 2-minute timer before I can start a new quest, but once again.. I might run into an item that I don't have or can't buy off the Shops/User Shops.

I'm fine with having it as part of Today's Dailies, it's just that some days.. I don't have the time to complete all 5, 7 or 12 Vend quests. So, an option to swap it out or one of Today's Dailies would be nice. I don't mind having it swapped to a tier of equal difficulty like maybe Feed/Click/XC Click 300 Creatures.. but just don't force us to have to complete Vend quests.

Female
2,919 posts

heatherm19 • 18 March 2024 at 4:07 AM

@lilyane A few tips to help with the quests: Stock up on items! Take advantage of the 'restock' tasks, and if you have a few minutes here and there to just pop into one of the npc shops and grab a few things. Imo it's the best way to approach the quests, because as you say sometimes you won't find the specific item in the npc shop for awhile and sometimes user-shops are set at ridiculous prices. So stocking up on items long-term really does help (for instance, I did all 12 quests today without having to buy anything, I had everything asked for in my strongroom already).

Also don't forget about the Quest Items Swapping thread, sometimes no one will respond but it can definitely help.

That said, still 'yes please!' on being able to swap out a task (with limitations of course). Especially with things like the cave-approaches, where you literally have no control over the cooldown and no way around it if you get a few long cooldowns in a row. (That one actually bugs me most on principle, as far as I can think it's the only dailies task completely reliant on the site's rng instead of user-side actions).

Female
1,735 posts

minnie298a • 18 March 2024 at 4:20 AM

@lilyane

I'll preface this by stating I have notes, and numbers. A lot of them.

The 12 quests is the worst that task can get.
On average, the quest task comes up about 9 times a month. The 12 quests about 3 times on average. This is the second quest task for this month, and the first 12 (the other was a 7). (So either the rng is being kind to us because last March was the worst, or we are about to get slammed).

The quest tasks in general are not a fan favourite. And that's fine. You can't please everyone all of the time.

Personally, I don't mind them. However I have the "advantage" of being around forever and having a fairly large and diverse selection in my strongroom, plus the spare funds to keep it that way. It's taken years to get point that 12 Quests takes me less time then 12 Cave approaches. (And 15 Cave approaches is the task I dislike the most). I'm neither her nor there on the idea of exchanging.

A couple of tips:
- Pick a quest type to concentrate on. You can always change later.
- Regularly visit the related shop and buy a couple of things regardless of your current need. Either cheap things, random things or items you can remember seeing asked for. (Just ask if you need more clarification)
- If you don't need it, you can throw it in your strongroom for later. Collect a couple of an item and then you can sell it or trade it (or put towards the donate or use task).
- If your stuck try https://eggcave.com/forums/topic/70055 .
- Items in user shops that are outrageously priced are often there for the player to show off. Gallery style. Unfortunately this confuses the algorithm into thinking it's actually for sale. Multiple boards have been made about this, with no solution currently in site.
- Other than the time out, cancelling quests has no negative effect. I know there is some text about failure being on your record, but it's just text.

- For the rest of this month, just do what isn't going to stress you and start preparing. To claim the 100CC you need 25 completed days in a calendar month. Everything starts fresh at midnight on the 1st, and days completed do not roll over.
- While it may be in contrast to everything I've said before, if your not eligible for the CC, the Quest rewards aren't really worth it as a newbie buying the items from other players, unless you want the token (Reward average was about 1225 ec per task for me last year, but it's random).
- At the moment Trinket Travels and Bean Shop items are not tied to a quest. So these are ideal for donate and use tasks if you happen upon them. Unless your looking at using the Trinket Travels on your creatures (and any travel will go on any pet, not just the one in it's name), I'd suggest limiting your time in these shops.
- Right now try to take advantage of the Dragold's Den event and the randomly awarded short X2 EC boosters to earn a little extra to help increase your stock pile. The event only runs until the end of the month.

Female
143 posts

dragongirl02 • 28 March 2024 at 1:01 AM

Here is an update on the HST timezone situation: Yesterday was a close call. It took a risky move to save the dailies. I did pull it off. They were more on the lower side, so it's a little easier to do it in that risky situation without getting caught; with my smartphone, I had to do what I would call the under-the-table method at work today, which can be risky, but Egg Cave forced my hand on that. The timezone for most adoptable sites is not timezone friendly to Hawaii players and is time similar to -6 hours difference. Usually, I would prefer to do an overnighter, which would make me sleepy at work but slightly safer, but have you ever tried to do that and just drifted off to sleep before you finished the tasks? That is basically what happened to me yesterday.
It would be helpful to exchange daily, especially if you get the 15 cave one at a rotten time or the fed quest gives you a headache. Doing 300 feeds/clicks with the click exchange on the smartphone is not that easy. Even 100 was a bit challenging. Luckily, yesterday was just a 100 for both tasks, making it more doable.

Edit:
Yeah, in a way, I am trying to knock out Thursday dailies, too.

Female
2,919 posts

heatherm19 • 1 week ago

3rd day in a row for profile comments!
Quoting my earlier post for emphasis:

Also! I was looking back at blog posts, an on the blog post March 13, 2023 "Monthly Challenge Updates: March Edition", it says
"Beginning tomorrow, we're ensuring that the same level of difficulty of the selected site-wide dailies is never chosen two days in a row."
And it says this is "enforced for all daily types and difficulty tiers." (It was bolded in the post!)

I know the 'social tasks' (profile and forum commenting) are basically limited to those two things so there won't be a ton of variety there regardless, but it would be really nice if we didn't get the same exact task 3+ days in a row!

(Yes, this may seem like a tiny inconvenience for some, but I'll keep mentioning it since I haven't gotten any acknowledgement from staff and for some of us tasks like this *are* big deals!) (Seriously, I'm literally shaking right now while forcing myself to make this post, I know if I don't do it now it won't happen.)

@jazzyleia @Orderedchaos @Ian Any possibility of getting some feedback here?

Female
1,735 posts

minnie298a • 1 week ago

Stats:
Today is the 4th day in a row for Profile.
Including today (20th) there have been 10 of each this month. F W W F F F F W W F W F F W F F W W W W
So the 4 profile (W) even out the 4 forum (F) earlier in the month.

Since the beginning (Feb 2023) there have been:
Forum - 216
Profile - 197
Blog - 1

@heatherm19
I know I'm not who you pinged and I'm aware that doesn't actually help your complaint. And your right, 3 or 4 days in a row for a task is a bit excessive.

Also right on the different people prefer different tasks bit. Personally I prefer the profile posts as I can just post on my own wall and immediately delete it. No need to involve another person on my non-social feeling days.

As a side note, I wouldn't totally object to the reintroduction of the Blog comment posts. Especially if it was reduced to 1 post, not 3 and if they occurred on or close to a blog post (which may be difficult in a totally random generated list). New items, event announcements, DFD, you get the idea. Days when many would contemplate posting anyway.

Female
143 posts

dragongirl02 • 1 day ago

I agree with the users above me.

I just goofed up April just a few hours ago. Because I am on HST, I technically have six tasks, which I call the daily daylight timezone challenge. Rollover is 6 pm HST, the same time I get off work, so I tend to have to do some under-the-table stuff to get this done. I try to do it at night, sometimes doing overnighters if needed, but I tend to fall asleep when attempting that.

As of this post, I have 20 / 25 done and have 3d 22h 30m 4s days left. Even with doing Saturdays, I would likely still be a day short unless I messed up the math.

Edited update :
Saturday 10:54 pm: Even though I'm out of luck with the challenges, I will do them in the slight chance of a miscalculation.