April Fool's Creature Collab: Cuttleflage 🦑🫥

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 27 January 2024 at 6:30 PM

CONTROVERSIAL CREATURE JUST DROPPED

Introducing the Cuttleflage 🦑🫥
@matcha was talking to me about how there are a lot of travels whose main design gets covered up by the creature. He had the idea for a creature that is translucent or slowly disappears, more so than the Biwo, for example. Then he was onto the idea of camouflage. We began thinking of animals whose skin changes to fit its surroundings: Octopus, chameleon, and cuttlefish. We decided on a cuttlefish because there are already some octopus and chameleon creatures available, but no cuttlefish!

This is an April Fool's Day suggestion because one stage is a bit silly and the final stage is just ridiculous! Matcha doesn't think Egg Cave will go for the final stage, and I am doubtful too, BUT STILL HOPEFUL. Listen... Please hear me out...
Egg Cave has so many beautiful, interesting, funny, eye-catching travels. Sometimes, the creature covers up the best part of the travel. And recently, some travels look like items and get completely covered up by the creature. We know Egg Cave is all about the wonderful creatures, but the travels are also a huge hit!

Neopets has an Invisible Paint Brush that completely omits your creature's image. I know Ian was inspired by Neopets when he created Egg Cave. So, with all of the amazing art of our travels and trinket travels, let's have a creature that completely camouflages itself into its travel! I feel the community would be very divided on this adult stage. Post your thoughts below!

How nifty would it be if we could have our favorite travel as our profile icon?!
Which travel would you love to have as your profile icon?

Artwork of the Cuttleflage 🦑🫥
https://ibb.co/4W8DLBT
I used watercolors, micron pens, and colored pencils.
There are also examples of each stage on a travel and forum post examples.

About Cuttleflage Eggs 🦑🫥
Cuttleflage eggs are translucent and look exactly like bubbles. You can easily see the baby Cuttleflage floating around inside, which feels intrusive, but also exciting.

About the Cuttleflage Creature 🦑🫥
The Cuttleflage is a strange and striking cephalopod. They have the ability to camouflage into any surrounding, mimicking the colors and textures right before your eyes, even though they are colorblind! Cuttleflages use this technique not only to strike their prey, but also to play pranks on their "cuttly" friends. Their instant reappearance will startle even a seasoned cepha!

Cuttleflage Name Origin and Pronunciation 🦑🫥
Cuttleflage: Cuttlefish + Camouflage (cuddle-flaj)
Please do not change the name of this suggestion. ^^
If it must be changed, please use Cephaloflage, Cephaflage, or Camolopod.

Cuttleflage Details 🦑🫥
Weight: 5 kg
Height: 0.25 m
Gender Profile: Standard
Habitat: Ocean
Obtained From: Cash Shop or Cave

Cuttleflage Evolution 🦑🫥
Baby: 1500 Views
Teen: 2500 Views
Adult: 10,000 Views

Notes 🦑🫥
We'd only like this selected if the Smitten artist draws it, we'd love a detailed and dimensional look!
Stage 1 Egg: This is based off of a real cuttlefish egg. The egg should be transparent. The baby inside can be upside down like my drawing, which I think is cute, but it could look better right side up! The baby inside is also semi-translucent; a kind of shiny, jelly-look to it.
Stage 2 Baby: This design can be any sort of rainbow, stripey, zebra-looking pattern.
Stage 3 Teen: This design should be a literal camouflage pattern with shades of green and some brown. I thought this would be silly for April Fool's Day, that this animal who is known for camouflage turns itself into a classic camo pattern. The tentacles can be curled in more so as to make the creature larger in the 90x90 box. It can also be very slightly rotated more front facing, so as to make it larger in the box.
Stage 4 Adult: This stage is literally a completely blank and transparent image! This is so the creature appears to have totally camouflaged itself to whatever its surroundings are, whether they are traveling or not. This also plays into it being an April Fool's Day creature.
Please keep the signature W-shaped eyes that cuttlefish have. 😍

Thank you for checking out me and @matcha's Cuttleflage!
Please ping anyone you think would be interested!!

1,134 posts

hikanu • 27 January 2024 at 7:41 PM

Haha. I absolutely adore it. XD

Female
1,319 posts

twinkle • 27 January 2024 at 8:06 PM

@daisycat
Wow this is such a genius idea!! 😊 Incredible art as always ❤️
The egg stage is so cute and the coloring for the 2nd stage is really eye-catching c:
I'll probably hoard this to show off some travels XD

Hiiii @Ian ❤️ I'd really appreciate if you could check this one out~

Female
1,243 posts

senkou • 27 January 2024 at 8:42 PM

@daisycat
wow this is such a creative concept i really love it (and so perfect for april fools) 😆 i also feel like this concept would be perfect for travels like "a gingerbread cookie" (among many others) that look perfect on their own but would arguably be ruined with a creature png on it. if it get's made i will have to get myself a last stage one ofc but and also freeze a few of the cute eggs!!

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 27 January 2024 at 9:00 PM

hikanu twinkle senkou
Thank you so much for the feedback, everyone!! 😊

I had bought "A Gingerbread Cookie" with this in mind. XD I forgot to mention, "Gore Cake" is specifically what got Matcha thinking about this. I'd love to have that as an avatar lol. And, well, just any scene, any landscape! It's always fun to have a seasonal creature (and travel) for holidays and seasons, but you could also have the focus on just a seasonal landscape for those times, too.

Since you guys like the egg, would anyone be opposed to it being flipped right-side up? The more I look at it, the more I think flipped would look cuter.

Going to ping some peeps, hopefully not a bother. ^^'
@icecloud101
@jlya
@nut
@okami
@redflipflap

1,629 posts

icecloud101 • 27 January 2024 at 9:02 PM

@daisycat I love this! I think it would definitely be fun as an april fools critter!
i love how it has different patterns of camouflage in different stages and how you created a beautiful ocean travel that it can "disappear" into 😊

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 27 January 2024 at 9:05 PM

@icecloud101
Thank you, I'm glad you like it and I appreciate your comment!! 😊 An official EC artist made the travel though, it's Seamer City! Too pretty. *o*

@dibabeebees
@dragrawr
@sapphire12
@suzanab
@wonder404exe

Female
2,557 posts

dragrawr • 27 January 2024 at 9:20 PM

@daisycat ITS THE FUNNIEWT THING EVER IM IN LOVE WITH STAGE 2 BUT THE DETAILING OF STAGE 4 IS AMAZING I MEAN LOOK AT THOSE COLORS

I want this so bad

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 27 January 2024 at 9:27 PM

@dragrawr
LOL, thank you!! ^^ Yeah stage 4 took me weeks upon months to draw, it was so tedious! 😵‍💫

Hi friends, please check out this collab. 😊
@ashlinnhi
@boba
@lexicon
@pastelrabbit
@wizardsage

Female
1,738 posts

lexicon • 27 January 2024 at 9:37 PM

THIS IS HILARIOUS AND I LOVE IT. don't be mad when i freeze a baby because i love cuddlefish but this is an amazing concept xD

maybe if EC won't go for the completely invisible version, you can make an alternative that's just a light outline/mostly translucent? hope this gets picked for april fools!

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 27 January 2024 at 9:43 PM

@lexicon
Thank you, Lexi!! That's a good idea and I did consider it. 😊 Even just putting it in the notes as an alternative, like fading away (more than Biwo), or a light outline like you suggested. But at that point it's like... I want just a blank stage soo badly lol. I feel like if Neopets has an Invisible Paint Brush, why wouldn't EC go for it, too!? And we have so SO many travels and trinkets. A lot of players are really into travels. It would open up nearly endless possibilities.

Your creature Cuttleflage has evolved to stage 4! Oops, where did it go!? April's Fools!

@anarchy
@foreigners
@heatherm19
@netherling
@sparklefox

Transmasculine
449 posts

shrimp • 27 January 2024 at 9:48 PM

LOLL I love this design so much!!! Honestly having empty travels in my cove would be so funny 😭😭 The art for this is so beautiful and I really hope I get to see this in the future!

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 27 January 2024 at 10:05 PM

@foreigners
Thank you so much!! ❤️

@kudo
@provo7demons
@silkenoid
@sinthr
@zircon

Non-binary
1,417 posts

provo7demons • 27 January 2024 at 10:08 PM

@daisycat @matcha YOU HAD ME AT CUTTLEFISH! And this is such a creative idea, although I do agree with @lexicon about the final stage being a transparent outline rather than disappearing entirely (although that would still be really cool!) And the description is so adorable...oh how I'd love to have even just one of these babies in my cove ❤️

Male
95 posts

matcha • 27 January 2024 at 10:09 PM

Happy to see the positive feedback!

You did such a wonderful job with art and description once again Daisy ❤️

Female
142 posts

silkenoid • 27 January 2024 at 10:19 PM

This is the most creative creature idea I think I’ve ever seen LMFAO-
Wholeheartedly support this. I want to see it happen.

Female
309 posts

zircon • 27 January 2024 at 10:22 PM

@daisycat
Ha, thanks for the ping! I'd be so confused if I didn't know about the last stage, I'd probably think my wifi was playing tricks on me again. I love how outside of the box this creature is too, it's definitely a perfect fit for April Fool's day.

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 27 January 2024 at 10:35 PM

provo7demons silkenoid zircon
Thank you all so much, I'm glad you like it and appreciate your input! 😃

matcha
Thank you! ❤️ ❤️
And just so anyone wondering knows, I offered the description to Matcha for this and the Irresistor, but he hands it off to me lol. Also, he can draw! So I am hoping and encouraging that he will eventually come out with a suggestion with art he has drawn, his art is soo cute and precious and t i n y. x)

@appleblizzard
@frosting
@levine
@queueyou
@valorieviolet

Deleted • 28 January 2024 at 2:06 AM

I really like this idea (as always, description and art are awesome, good work you two!), and I really like that in last stage we'd also be able to have different travels as "profile" creatures (I feel you on the problem of the creature covering the travel's image, sometimes I am bothered by how they don't fit in the circular frame too and wish we would be able to move it around and to choose our own profile pet image / position). I also just think that this would be hilarious and leave ton of people surprised and baffled (so it would great for April's Fools)... something like, where has my creature disappeared off? 😂

I didn't know Ian was inspired by neo when creating EC because this is definitely different than neo for sure, and it was interesting to know! It kinda reminded me of DNAdopts when I first joined (I miss that place...).

Female
2,228 posts

ashlinnhi • 28 January 2024 at 2:58 AM

thanks for the ping, Daisy! the last stage is honestly hilarious to me, it really would be perfect for april fool's x) LOVE the egg stage, so so cute! and that detail in the colouring is immaculate - props to both you and Matcha on this idea ✨✨

1,037 posts

anarchy • 28 January 2024 at 10:21 AM

thanks for the ping! i was sitting here confused at what the last stage was supposed to be until i read your post properly haha 😋 LOVE this idea, a disappearing creature for april fools is super fun and creative and the art is stellar too with some really nice details and patterns. the "w" eyes 🥺 i love the translucency on the egg stage as well! ❤️ yes for more cephalopods!

Female
422 posts

suzanab • 28 January 2024 at 11:10 AM

@daisycat

Aww...sweet AND funny! Perfect April Fool 😃 Thanks for the ping 😊

Female
4 posts

queueyou • 28 January 2024 at 11:47 AM

thanks for the ping! I love this idea! it's funny yet unique! and I do have favorite travels in my inventory rn! thank goodness it's views, I could level them up easier to make them as beautiful as air 😂 I hope this is actually a thing in eggcave in the future. I WILL PROTECT IT WITH ALL MY LIFE!!!

Female
2,727 posts

jlya • 28 January 2024 at 5:05 PM

@daisycat @matcha
This is such a cool concept!! I do love the April Fools creature idea. I don't know what to do with that last stage but I also love it xD

Female
177 posts

pastelrabbit • 28 January 2024 at 5:23 PM

@daisycat Such a clever way to have an invisible creature! I support this 💕 (there are so many travels I love that get covered up by creatures)

Female
361 posts

frosting • 28 January 2024 at 9:29 PM

thanks for the ping! it would be amazing if eggcave actually implemented this LOL people sleep on travel art too much 😤😤

Female
1,147 posts

valorieviolet • 29 January 2024 at 1:16 AM

@daisycat @matcha

Wow, this is so creative!! 😱 I agree with Matcha, I'm not sure if Ian would ever allow a fully transparent creature (Ian, prove us wrong??), but it would actually be perfect for April Fool's!! & then this way, we could finally have a gallery to at least show off our pretty/rare travels hehe I see what you're doing, Daisy!

That being said, I really like how you designed the egg! The size of the egg, combined with the amount of transparency surrounding the actual cuttlefish, still allows most of the travel to be viewable, which is great! Third stage has me giggling over seeing literal camouflage pattern all over the its body cx

Nicely done to the both of you 😃

Female
547 posts

levine • 30 January 2024 at 7:26 AM

thanks so much for the ping! I LOVE THIS IDEA (and the art too 🥺), I think it's definitely SO PERFECT for april fools 😋
also, I'm just imagining all the things we could do with travels now that there's a completely transparent creature.....;w; IT WILL BE SO AMAZING!!! I HOPE THIS BECOMES A REAL EGGCAVE CREATURE!! :>

Cis Female
604 posts

kataclysm • 30 January 2024 at 7:57 AM

LOL I think this idea is fantastic. (': The notion of a creature disappearing in its final stage clearly hasn't been done before and definitely ticks the box for a unique concept. I'd love to see it come to life for April Fool's, or even just as a monthly LE. I feel like the AF creatures can be quite topical (crypto and wordle creatures being my examples) but if there was a theme for 'not as it seems' or something, I think this would be a superb contender.

Female
2,413 posts

ida92 • 31 January 2024 at 3:00 AM

@daisycat This is a great idea, I love the final stage. 😃 But the art on baby and teen is great too!