The Official Species Rerelease Discussion

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Should Retired Cave/Cash Shop Creatures Be Re-released?

Female
31 posts

shelby5758 • 16 October 2015 at 12:24 PM

@Ian I think egg cave should celebrate its birthday! Now I haven't been on that long and I'm not sure if you do but on the day egg cave official became egg Dave you should have mini games and other ways to collect party hats and party stuff and if all of egg cave gets to a goal the everyone who participated enough then they will get a retired special egg and everyone else who participated but didn't get to a certain point where they could then they should get a egg cave birthday creature as well as the people who got to the certain point should get too and this is just and idea and my farie opinion and I say this with all do respect to every one on egg cave

Deleted • 16 October 2015 at 1:21 PM

@shelby5758

Eggcave does celebrate its birthday ^^; They release a new creature into the cave for a few days. This year, there were three new creatures: the Chev, the Moue, and the Benvoir 😊

Female
31 posts

shelby5758 • 16 October 2015 at 1:22 PM

When is egg caves birthday?

Deleted • 16 October 2015 at 3:19 PM

@shelby5758

The celebration started July 21, so my guess is July 21 o-o

Female
31 posts

shelby5758 • 16 October 2015 at 3:50 PM

Thx I just play egg cave through a school device and this is the 2nd year having me and my first time playing this so next years birthday I'll be here for it but during summer break I play it on my computer anytime I can

Female
5,399 posts

Orderedchaos • 16 October 2015 at 3:53 PM

Lets try to keep this on topic please. If you wish to discuss suggestions for Egg Cave's birthday or the birthday in general please take it to an appropriate topic, PMs, ect.

Female
31 posts

shelby5758 • 16 October 2015 at 3:56 PM

Ok sorry I'll respect that

Transmasculine
115 posts

umbris • 19 October 2015 at 4:20 PM

Forgive my late post, I was offline for several months because of a broken laptop and only recenly discovered this thread.

For those of you that argue that new users have to spend lots of time and money to achieve their dream coves - what about hose of us that have neither the time nor money to spend? I am a freshman at a university, and I am aware that there are several other users who attend universities here on EggCave. I currently buy CC creatures from the Cash Shop, and I sincorporate it into my budget - $10 a month isn't that big of a deal. But it is completely ridiculous to charge over $100 worth of CC for a single creature. I don't have that kind of money to spend on an adoptables site, and frankly charging that much for a pixelated creature is absurd. But, just like any other user, I too want to obtain older creatures. A controlled rerelease would give me and other users like me a chance to obtain older creatures without having to spend money that we don't have.

The laptop brings in another factor - what if somebody was unable to get LE's because of circumstances that they had no control over? What if we have school or family issues or other things preventing us from being online every single time a creature comes out?

I don't want to cause another debate since this is only open for closing comments, but I just wanted to add my opinion into such an important decision.

241 posts

madscienced • 19 October 2015 at 4:57 PM

@ian Just found this topic. It'll have my full support. I think it would help even it out between really old users and newer ones, since it seems that most critters you can only get if your really, really old and have lot of old le's. Its really frustrating, because many people will never get wishlist creatures because they're so rarely for trade, and when they are, old users snap them up even if they already have many of them, such as the tine, foo, florn, ect. I've already given up on my wishlist because i've seen that I would have to spend hundreds of rl dollars to get a CHANCE to get one. I've only been here for a month and noticed this- THIS IS A PROBLEM.

HOWEVER i do agree that there should be a limited amount for each re-released critter, BUT i don't think they should only be for cc.

Think of how many users just give up on the site because they can't get a creature of any value- it may be fun for some users to fight to get a creature, but it isn't fair to hold everyone to the same standards. Most of the users i met would just like having the creature- whether the had to search and fight for one is meaningless to them, and i've met more than a few on other sites, who when eggcave is brought up, said that they quit due to being completely unable to obtain most of the critters on site without having to spend lots of money on cc.

Not everyone can buy cc, and everyone should have a fair chance to get a creature WITHOUT waiting years for the le's they got when they first joined to mature in value. Also, many, many users have joined since most of the high value critters were released - to keep the amount of critters the same would be crazy, and eventually no one will be able to get those critters as they find forever homes. If you re-release them in a controlled amount, that keeps the value relatively high but without it being completely crazy and give newer users a chance, i think you can find that the value might not change so much, as its pretty much guaranteed that some of the re-releases will die. Just look at the foo- they're still high value, but they got re-released, didn't they?

why not put it to vote for every re-release critter? Put a poll up on the blog for a month or two and see what the majority wants. Don't just have it based on what people who find this want- it should be what the MOST people want. If a few users end up quitting to keep the majority happy, then that's just the cost of being fair. Everyone gets a vote, and if they were outvoted, its just fair.

Also, compare how active the site is compared to then- we have more users, but the trade center is pretty much empty of all but the most recent le's/cc critters (recent being 3-4 months) and the people who have the older critters AREN'T TRADING THEM. That makes it almost IMPOSSIBLE to find one for trade. I've put in some work and bought cc to get my cove, and im still NOWHERE near getting any of my dreamies. Im not saying put them in the cave or hand them out- we should have to WORK for them. But we shouldn't have to wait YEARS to get a CHANCE to get them. It pretty much crushes people, and whatever hope they have if they have to wait for years to get a critter.

Just remember that all sites must ADAPT OVER TIME. Things aren't going to stay the same forever and older users shouldn't hold Ian to promises he may have made years ago. Can each of you users saying that he didn't outright say that they might be re-released never broken a promise to someone? Have never changed their viewpoint on something over the years?

Again, I say that each potential re-release critter is put to vote. Make sure the majority is happy of the few.

1,122 posts

iceiceice • 19 October 2015 at 5:56 PM

Are we still considering this?

cause we can't keep putting this off?. That's what got us to this point last time. The site's only going to keep growing.

Transmasculine
115 posts

umbris • 19 October 2015 at 5:57 PM

@madscienced

I completely agree with you - when I first joined I was excited to eventually get most of the creatures, but was hugely disappointed when I discovered that some of them were literally unobtainable.

EggCave should be a place where people's dream creatures are at least within reach, and not a site that's catered to those lucky enough to have been here years ago. Of course older users' opinions matter too - I'm not saying they don't. But the majority of active EggCave users are newer, and their opinions matter just as much.

241 posts

madscienced • 19 October 2015 at 5:59 PM

@falling_silence I've only been here a month and already gave up on my (short) wishlist simply because they aren't in circulation unless they ask for hundreds of dollars. I really think it should just be put to a clear vote- the majority should make the decisions, not the older users just because they know the staff better and get heard more.

Transmasculine
115 posts

umbris • 19 October 2015 at 6:05 PM

@madscienced

I don't even try to trade for older creatures because I know I can't afford it, and I've been here for almost a year and a half.

I also don't think that the 'wait until your creatures are valuable' thing is going to work either. When most of those older creatures were released, there was a significantly smaller amount of users on EggCave, which means that there was a smaller amount of those creatures stolen. I know that their number has decreased on other ways too - such as creature deaths or account deletions. But the change in the number of users has to be taken into account too. Now there are thousands more users then there were years ago, which means that more creatures are being taken compared to then.

241 posts

madscienced • 19 October 2015 at 6:09 PM

@falling_silence I've seen more than one site die after being around for years because they wouldn't adapt or just listened to older users or users who had more money. Eggcave needs to change this because it cant stay this way forever. i gave up on one wishlist critter and took it off my list because the stage i want literally doesn't exist anymore- they've all evolved past that point. This isn't about 'effort' like some lucky users say- its about who has money to spend and who has the right connections, and eggcave shouldn't be about that.

Transmasculine
115 posts

umbris • 19 October 2015 at 6:11 PM

@madscienced

I agree. Nothing can improve without changes being made, and that includes EggCave.

Male
2,323 posts

raitonchidori • 19 October 2015 at 7:16 PM

@madscienced I completely agree with you. When I joined here (february 1st 2012), I was wishing to collect one of each specie, but I gave up about that a long time ago. I realized I couldn't do it. I see someone who was all species BUT Macbot and Doovoo, I have a wishlist that is basically a 100 creatures, so how can I get these 2 (Macbot and Doovoo) if I can't have the other 98, for example? So now everything I do is trying to keep 1 of each specie I CAN find, I don't start desperately looking for species I don't have, 'cause I know I won't get 1/10 of it.

Just as an example. My newest aim here passed to be having, at least, 1 of each specie obtainable in the cave. But Tine was also by the cave, so had to remove it from my "target". Since I joined (february 2012) I'd been looking for an Unchaga, and I only got it last month. After 2 years and a half I got an Unchaga. An Unchaga! So when would I get a Tine? Basically never, because time keeps going and making it more valuable and rarer (if it's still possible).

I don't think Ian should stay with the same things he said in 2009. I'm pretty sure he didn't have imagined this site could go so far as it is now. And, as I see, egg cave will have to disappear soon, if things stay as they are. It's been 6 years. How long will the site exist? Forever? I doubt about that. But it doesn't have to disappear in an year or 2, it needs to continue. But once we get in 2017, how much will worth a Tine? A Doovoo? A Macbot? Millions, IF we still can find them in trades, what I doubt (we can't find them now).

Female
865 posts

netherling • 19 October 2015 at 7:17 PM

@madscienced @falling_silence
I've been here for years and still haven't gotten to where my dream cove is in reach. I mean look at the votes up there ^ majority vote vs minority vote. Despite the percentage, the minority vote won. I love this site, I really do, but you guys are right, prices are crazy. There are so many more pros than cons with a re-release. CONS: Rarity decreasing, money that was spent in the past being lost. Maybe some more. PROS: Fair chances to obtain unobtainables, happier users, insane prices being decreased, dream coves being within reach, user population growth. Like, those pros sound pretty good to me. And if people who don't like the change leave, then so be it. They're probably going to end up coming back later for those creatures they care so much about. They could stay and be mad but eventually they'll get over it because life goes on.

241 posts

madscienced • 19 October 2015 at 7:23 PM

@raitonchidori Yes! That's exactly what i'm trying to say! If they don't add a controlled amount to circulation, it will be impossible to get one, either due to users being inactive or not trading them.

@ami_utsukushii I just think that it should just be put to vote. I buy cc, and i would be okay with any critter being released and value going down, no matter what i paid. I want everyone to have fun - not just the older, privileged users. And i agree- there are more pro's than cons. i would understand cc critters being left out- people paid money for them. But to have a CAVE critter worth insane amounts just because a user was lucky isn't okay.

Transmasculine
115 posts

umbris • 19 October 2015 at 7:31 PM

@madscienced @ami_utsukushii

I think that EggCave has become too focused on an economy. Not that it's a bad thing - it promotes interactions between users and keeps the economy active. The problems arise when people charge insane amounts for creatures. I always thought the object of adoptables sites was to collect, not to spend huge amounts of money for single creatures.

1,122 posts

iceiceice • 19 October 2015 at 7:34 PM

I think @ian understand the need to have some creatures back in circulation and we mostly been discussing "why" we should need it.

However, I think what's preventing this from happening is a way to make this "right and fair." Sooo, I'm curious you guys, "how" would you like rerelease to happen? It's been discussed, but, eh, always interrupted.

(Ps to the people against re releases, just give us a chance to talk about this)

Transmasculine
115 posts

umbris • 19 October 2015 at 7:39 PM

@iceiceice

I like the idea of older Cave creatures being reintroduced to the cave for a limited time - say maybe a few creatures for a week. There could be a smaller chance of obtaining one than a monthly, which would prevent a flood of them but still give users a chance to get one.

They could release maybe one or two CC Creatures in the Cash Shop for the same amount of time, for 500 CC like a normal release or possibly more, and have a limited number of those available as well.

I'm just coming up with ideas here and I don't expect them to be perfect XD But if we put our minds to it maybe we could all figure out a good way to do it

1,122 posts

iceiceice • 19 October 2015 at 7:46 PM

it's been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again since I like the ideas. Deconstruct or reconstruct them any way you like:

- loyalty program type of thing
-raffles (I don't really see a harm in this one.)
- events (I don't know what type of event)
> event where creatures are re released in the cave (cave only creature)

If you look at previous site events, a doovoo (and a generous amount of other stuff) were given out as a prize. Imo, rerelease already happened so double jeopardy 😋

@falling_silence
For CC. Creatures, are you saying rerelease them in the CC shop for 500cc?

Yay for ideas!

Transmasculine
115 posts

umbris • 19 October 2015 at 7:57 PM

@iceiceice

I think that CC creatures should be rereleased for CC, just to keep it fair for those that paid for them before. If they're rereleased for at least 500 CC, it'll keep it fair for those who paid the 500 CC when they first came out and will give newer users a chance to pay for one as well. Plus, if newer users pay CC for them and if there's a limited amount given out in the first place, the values will still be pretty high.

The loyalty program idea is good - it'll give users an incentive to stay active and will be fair to those who stick around longer than others.

Events would be a good idea too, maybe a puzzle plot where each user has to solve the puzzle to win the prize. I think the only problem with that one would be people sharing the answer to others, though.

I still think that the Cave Creatures being rereleased in the cave is a good idea, or maybe introducing them to the Oasis. That way people would have the possibility of getting one, but they wouldn't be flooding the market.

Female
865 posts

netherling • 19 October 2015 at 10:21 PM

@falling_silence
I think they are planning on re releasing some older cave creatures. But with the cash shop creatures, that's a no or a topic to be discussed further.

Transmasculine
115 posts

umbris • 19 October 2015 at 10:29 PM

@ami_utsukushii

I know, it's just something to consider 😊

Female
865 posts

netherling • 20 October 2015 at 10:10 PM

@falling_silence
Oh I know 😋 I'm hoping there's a wat to make everyone happy. One that maybe hasn't even been brought up yet.

Female
1,568 posts

firedawn • 24 October 2015 at 4:46 AM

@falling_silence @madscienced
I agree with all of you. I support rereleases. But when a rerelease happens, the rarities of the rare and sought after species will drop down dramatically. For instance, let us take the Balrogipuwet. The Balrogipuwet used to be only available for completing the The Mystery of Ghosty Plot, which was nearly impossible to complete. Therefore, only those who comlpeted The Mystery of Ghosty Plot were eligible of claiming a Balrogipuwet, so only 251 Balrogipuwet's were released in 2009. But then, It was later re-released in the Cash Shop Park in July of 2011. I know it wasn't that far away, but still. Balrogipuwet's rarities dropped down dramatically, they weren't as rare as they used to be.

738 posts

dragonnn • 24 October 2015 at 11:41 AM

@firedawn Dropping its rarity down to a value that's affordable is something I'd like to see.

1,122 posts

iceiceice • 24 October 2015 at 12:59 PM

If anything, I think this will help what balance the value.

Rarity and value are also somewhat different (imo, and they may have a small correlation).

Rarity might drop because there will be more creatures.

Values might be affected, but if it's a popular creature, it will still be wanted.

The Christmas Rerelease, based on what I heard, caused a panic scare in values. However, Foos are still wanted and valuable.

Moreover, the rerelease does not mean that Ian will be putting many creatures into the cave or easily available, etc, but giving us a chance to give the creature.

Quiet honestly, I don't really care about the value drop (let my creatures value drop).

On a bigger note, creature values are just going to go up. There will be more creatures available and old creatures will slowly become impossible to get.

Female
310 posts

leafyos • 24 October 2015 at 3:03 PM

What about a raffle? xD Every once in a while, 5 or so active people will be chosen to be able to obtain a retired (not a CSP) creature from some options. ^-^ It's a nice way to help the users build up to their dream cove or whatever.

PS: This wasn't really thought out, it was kind of just an idea. Don't hate please. c: