The Official Species Rerelease Discussion

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Should Retired Cave/Cash Shop Creatures Be Re-released?

Female
769 posts

dawnfur • 30 July 2015 at 8:43 PM

That idea is slightly terrifying. o_o

I don't think any of us would like it if our stuff got given away because we needed to take a break

Sometimes people have to do that because of personal reasons, don't believe they should have their creatures taken because of it.

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 30 July 2015 at 8:45 PM

Another thing people seem to flock to is "other sites do this it'll be fine here."

I've heard of other sites doing the account purge thing after a year of inactivity and noone seems to have a problem with that on these sites.

Male
2,762 posts

fakeworld • 30 July 2015 at 8:50 PM

@despair
I believe people have to realize that Egg Cave is a website of its own. It's a different community, vibe, theme and scheme. What works on other sites may or may not always work here.

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 30 July 2015 at 8:51 PM

@fakeworld

I agree. Which is why I think people need to understand that just because re-releases work well on other sites, that doesn't mean it'll work here. 😊

Female
1,323 posts

promise • 30 July 2015 at 8:52 PM

I think an account purge would be fine. It can be done reasonably. If you are gone for say 2 years there is a good chance you aren't coming back. You can take 5 minutes of your time to log on once in 2 years if you actually wanted to ever return to eggcave.

38 posts

jrtalon • 30 July 2015 at 8:58 PM

@fakeworld @immortalraven @dawnfur

"What if someone or you for instance, decides to return after a year+ hiatus"

Then they get to start over again! I really don't think it's unreasonable, all you would have to do is sign in and then sign right back out again to fulfill to policy and keep ur cove in good standing. And there would be plenty of reminder emails sent to the person a reminder 6 months after not signing in another after 9 months, another with 30-days left and once a week for the remaining 30-days and one final notice on the last day. There are so many awesome creatures just sitting in coves collecting dust the chances of these people returning are pretty slim. I also wouldn't just implement the year policy immediately and say anyone who hasn't signed in for a year loses their cove. Let say the policy started now even people who haven't signed in since 2012 would still have 360 from today to sign in.

Female
760 posts

okami • 30 July 2015 at 8:58 PM

I honestly feel like 3 years would be a more reasonable cutoff if a purge happened. I like that idea a lot though.

1,122 posts

iceiceice • 30 July 2015 at 8:59 PM

I like the idea of the creatures being back in circulation. I also like purging the account (for deleted accounts). There were some people who's creature were deleted along with their accounts. The creatures just poofed .-.

Not sure if we should purge accounts that are just inactive though. I'm a bit on the fence on this.

Also am interested to hear about this exclusive cave creature idea? I must have missed the post.

I also like the idea of having an event/raffle/quests for creatures.

As for CSP creatures, I'm not sure if I want them "back in the store," but I think it would be interesting to have them obtainable through events.

For cave creatures, I would only want them to be rereleased in the cave for special events or prizes.

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 30 July 2015 at 9:02 PM

2 years is more reasonable. I haven't met one that had been gone that long.

I think that the names and critters shouldn't come with another giving bigger chance to everyone. If I so happened to be gone for that long and my critters were taken I'd not want the same person to get the name with. They are already getting a rare critter and I love my names and if those go too then I'd want others to get a chance at that since I know I have quite a few good names and some I've paid 1ooo + CC for so yeah o-o But either way that works is fine it just needs to be a good while for that to happen

Also to those who remember frosted that got deleted (I have not other people I remember as much as them since I actually talked to them) but they had a bunch of critters. Instead of critters being deleted how about something like the accounts that have been gone for a long while. Giving chances to more people and not bringing the species population down and not making it go up?

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 30 July 2015 at 9:02 PM

@promise

I was going to say that myself. 😊 2 years seems more reasonable.

Although I can see a problem if someone spent like $500 on the site and just happened to come back and saw all of it gone. xD

@bluewolf

3 years seems even more reasonable. x3

~~~~~~~

Edit:

@immortalraven

So you're saying the names vanish and allow for users to get them at, say, the town hall and the purged eggs themselves get re-named something random? Sounds good. 😊

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 30 July 2015 at 9:07 PM

@despair
Yes, the names just become available and the critters is like ones from the Christmas Events and Asteroid and thief shop.

Also suggested that since if I do come back from that if that happened there is bigger chance some of the names I love aren't taken and I can get some back. Yeah I know selfish but then also at least they get something back if they aren't taken since all the rare critter will be gone

Edit: Didn't see the three year one. Yeah 3 years or 2 or 2 and a half if it be so sounds good to me also

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 30 July 2015 at 9:09 PM

@immortalraven

I like that idea. 😸 Gives even more chances than just obtaining the creature by itself.

38 posts

jrtalon • 30 July 2015 at 9:12 PM

I think one year is plenty but I wouldn't object if it was 2 years but no more than that.

105 posts

maleficent • 30 July 2015 at 9:26 PM

Egg Cave should be an active community. Dead accounts are not productive to gaming sites and why they purge.

Since Egg Cave is a gaming site using references about what works and does not work on other sites has merit. Vouchers, Items, Auctions, etc were done on other sites long before being implemented here for example 😊

Can say the same thing... what people need to understand is it can very well work here as it does on other sites 😊 They are all websites with their own special communities and differences as well.

2,802 posts

elf • 30 July 2015 at 9:41 PM

Not too sure about the AC idea. A lot of older inactive users clearly stated that they did not want to give away any of their creatures or names when they quit. It's not their fault that we want their creatures. They spent time and money on their coves, and probably didn't want to just give it away. I would prefer rereleases rather then old accounts being cleaned out. I feel like cleaning out old accounts would just be rereleases anyways, but taking from other people's coves.

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 30 July 2015 at 9:48 PM

@leonx
I prefer re-releases over account purging. Then I prefer that accounts that are being deleted either just being deleted cause they don't care of this place anymore and is of their request or accounts that are being deleted because they broke rules critters being dispersed. Then the account purging after 2 or more years if so but not less.
Or just none if Ian thinks none work is fine with me and I can deal with it.

I think empty accounts should be deleted to clear up room though x3

Male
2,762 posts

fakeworld • 30 July 2015 at 9:50 PM

I don't believe old accounts should be deleted, however, I do believe that accounts that may have been deleted by request or due to any other reason, should in fact have their creatures donated to a special place so that they could be obtained by others and not just thrown away.

Another idea: Instead of releasing creatures, what about giving newer users a chance to obtain creatures that will become extremely rare on a special day once a year? For example, Egg Cave could release 5 very appealing creatures, that could be available for 24-48 hours for 500CC in the CSP. It can sort of be like a special holiday. I believe this is what was done with the Doovoo and Macbot (someone correct me if I'm wrong) This'll be so cool. 😃

2,802 posts

elf • 30 July 2015 at 9:54 PM

@immortalraven
Yeah, I kinda think old accounts should be deleted as well. Unless Eggcave wants a statistic of the total number of users as a recors or something 😋 But they also serve as nice museums and such x3

Female
41 posts

moopana • 30 July 2015 at 9:55 PM

An account purge seems like it would be okay FOR ALL FUTURE ACCOUNTS. (or people who are on past the point of implementing) People who have already stopped visiting did so under the assumption that their eggs would be kept. It'd be unfair to get rid of their creatures now. But all future people would have the warning.

Another way to make this fair is to have an option on your account of if you quit for X amount of time if you'd be okay having your creatures given away. The default could be set to yes you're okay with that because if you can't even spend the time on this site to switch an option you're probably not that interested in it anyway. (I mean almost everyone has SOME form of updated profile. What's the difference between switching one more setting?)

Back at the overall issue~

A creature re-release should most definitely be allowed. It'd make a lot of users happy. Obviously it shouldn't be done all willy nilly but done responsibly it'd be a great plus to the site.

I really don't get the whole 'but our creatures would decrease in value!' argument because if you were actually trying to trade some of these creatures for their current value now this wouldn't be such a big issue. It's kind of seeming like a lot of people (not everyone, please keep that in mind) are complaining about value even though they have no intention on ever changing their cove. Value is only an issue if you plan on trading, folks.

Another less than impressive complaint (in my opinion) is 'well I'd just wait for the creature to come out again rather than trading for it' Really? You mean to tell me if eggcave only rereleased one creature a year for one week (for example) you'd wait for your creature to be rereleased? Must I pull out the statistics of how many creatures there are and are going to be again? Ya... I don't think you would. Because the chances of your creature being rereleased aren't that high, and it's very likely you won't be around when that creature finally does come back, if it ever does.

Finally, I also do not like reading 'other people just need to work harder to get the eggs they want', but I haven't seen that one a lot (only once or twice) so I'm really hoping I don't need to explain how that's ridiculous.

Now while I do not believe that these arguments in particular are very good, I will admit that there are some good arguments out there. I really hope we can all reach a reasonable consensus. And peacefully. (Apologies for anything that sounds rude whatever it is it is not intentional)

OH WAIT! Also this idea came to mind sparking from that last arguement. Now I remember why I brought it up.

Instead of releasing things directly we could hold some sort of contest or quest/plot for rereleases. Obviously not something like the trivia, as that seems to be a bit too easy for rereleases, but some sort of challange. I really think some sort of quest would be neat. Only the first X people or the winners, depending on the exact thing going on, would get the rereleased creature (perhaps with its own special ending) oh my I have so many ideas for this. Must end this now before I get carried away. Toodaloo! 😊

Edit: Oh wow. I wrote a LOT more than I thought I did. Heh. Sorry to all who end up reading this (and this little bit, now that I think of it)

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 30 July 2015 at 9:55 PM

@fakeworld

Another idea: Instead of releasing creatures, what about giving newer users a chance to obtain creatures that will become extremely rare on a special day once a year? For example, Egg Cave could release 5 very appealing creatures, that could be available for 24-48 hours for 500CC in the CSP. It can sort of be like a special holiday. I believe this is what was done with the Doovoo and Macbot (someone correct me if I'm wrong) This'll be so cool.

This is sort of what @bluewolf suggested. I strongly prefer this over re-releasing stuff. x3

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 30 July 2015 at 9:59 PM

@leonx
I think old accounts with no critters should be because it make so much more space. I rarely see users with nothing in their account come back unless it had only been a few months since they left and things died. But ones that have been gone for like a year I usually don't see again unless they have good immortal stuff their. But doesn't matter to me if they do or not. They shouldn't be if they have stuff in them though. I don't really see any as museums when nothing is there though just clutter o-o

I also think that for the account purging if it does become real that the critters should not be all taken at once but gradually in case they come back, they'll have some left.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 30 July 2015 at 9:59 PM

@despair I really like the pace of the two CC and two Cave with an LE thrown out here and there or event ... 5 CC creatures would be too overwhelming ...for me ...

1,122 posts

iceiceice • 30 July 2015 at 10:00 PM

If rereleases aren't implemented (though I prefer it), I would be satisfied if something were to happen to the deleted account's creature. It addresses my problem, so I'm okay.

Even though I'm hesitant on the "inactivity" thing (I was inactive for 4 years or so before I came back).

However, when I came back, I ended up giving away my creatures (I didn't really know what to do with them anyways) and started fresh. I think I'm still doing okay.

On the other hand, my decision to be inactive wasn't a choice. It was rather abrupt. Some people made the decision to have their creatures stay in their cove while they were inactive...as a reminiscence, I suppose... u_u"

I'm ambivalent on the adoption center idea though.

Female
869 posts

netherling • 30 July 2015 at 10:51 PM

There are some people who quit who completely forgot about the site or forgot their passwords. Those people wouldn't come back because they can't. I lost access to my other account that way. Forgot the password and lost my last email account. If we did purge other accounts, the ones that need to be left alone are the accounts of the users that have passed away :/ leave them as they are.

Then part of me was thinking that if the people did come back and their creatures were gone, there needs to be something they get for that. CC or something. It might not make up for it but its better than nothing. Purging accounts would keep the rarity the same so you guys wouldn't have to worry about it.

Female
28 posts

aquari • 30 July 2015 at 11:03 PM

I think Inactive accounts over 5 years should b purged it gives more than enough time for someone to at least check in. If a purge rule is going to b used everyone must follow it the rule can be updated through the site blog that way everyone knows what is going on. If the beasts are going to b recycled it would be fairer to turn them back into their egg form with no name (clean slate). Also I think every one should have a small chance to obtain these creature. I think it will be unfair if you would have to buy them with CC there are some of us who just don't have the finances for that. I think that either being thrown back in the cave or astroid at random or a special egg hunting/ point racking event would be more fair.

Female
869 posts

netherling • 30 July 2015 at 11:08 PM

@aquari
If there is a small chance, there needs to be like.... A rule to it. It just occurred to me like...what if a user has like...(unrealistically) about seven or eight of an old cash shop creature. If they get another one they shouldn't keep it because like, they already have a lot more than others do. When I was a new user and I found I wanted an Olimpt, I saw someone who had multiple and I really wondered why they couldn't just let some go. I see now we get attached to our creatures, but if they get a new one then they should give it up so someone who doesnt have one has a chance. Or something like that, just better worded or whatever.

Female
28 posts

aquari • 30 July 2015 at 11:18 PM

@ami_utsukushii yea I understand and is unfortunate, but they do have what they paid for it cannot be helped -cannot stop or force them - if their an active user

I actually just looked at the first page and I don't know how the argument of inactive users poped up. The actual question is should retire'ds go back up for sale. I think that both retired and extincts can go back up- and special events with them.
I also think it should be for a limited time only. To keep the rareity.

Female
769 posts

dawnfur • 30 July 2015 at 11:20 PM

@aquari

The inactive thing came as a compromise for not rereleasing. 😋

Female
869 posts

netherling • 30 July 2015 at 11:28 PM

@aquari
Some people are trying to find alternatives, I guess that's how it came up. The main points on both sides are:

Non-supporters: we spent a good amount of money on creatures and don't want that to be wasted.

Supporters: prices for creatures are super high and its harder to get them now because the prices keep rising.

Or something along the lines of those things. So purging accounts would be a solution to appease both sides. That's where it came from. But the thing is, regardless, prices for some creatures need to be taken down and their population needs to be evened out somehow. No one should EVER have to spend a ton of money. The first time I asked about (for example) a Nym for trade, someone said around 3000-4500 CC, and then I left the site for some years and ended up getting a new account and the price was at 9200 CC and I just hoped that idea out the door. I didn't know if it was just that user or if that was the real asking price but its awful. It needs to be fixed.

738 posts

dragonnn • 31 July 2015 at 12:20 AM

I say no to the account purging in general.

Regardless, side accounts need to be linked to main accounts ( I believe they still aren't). I never log in to my immortal storage account unless I'm transferring immortals over. I have no desire to face a purge penalty because I didn't sign in to my own "museum".