Ask The Staff: Egg Cave Version 3

in General

Female
5,409 posts

Orderedchaos • 8 December 2016 at 3:11 PM

@gogetavegito2498
Beta testing involves using and testing the new version looking for bugs and broken things that need to be fixed before the it goes live. At this time we are not looking for beta testers so there is no sign up. When we need beta testers for the new version there will be a blog post about it.

395 posts

gogetavegito2498 • 8 December 2016 at 3:19 PM

Oh thanks @Orderedchaos

Female
4,265 posts

izziebee1017 • 8 December 2016 at 3:57 PM

I've been reading all the questions and the mods' answers, and I'm so pumped for Version 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 9 December 2016 at 6:15 PM

@ian I was trying to update my profile, but I found that I, for some reason, CANNOT give a link a different color. I was trying to make all my links lime, but they were just the maroon or shade of red they normally are. Can you update this in v3?

And Ian, that idea about Item Showcases, make it so you CANNOT display cc vouchers, at it would cause some jealousy from newer players.

Plus, at the Travel Agency, there is a Bunny Ear Basket travel that costs... ehrm, you probably know what it costs, but it is kinda offensive. The U.K. and the USA are the top two primarily English speaking countries. 59.5% of U.K. believe in Christianity and 83% of the US believe in Christianity. Can you change it please?

Female
1,034 posts

momokie • 11 December 2016 at 8:40 PM

@Ian

I was thinking, when you go to purchase a Star for your creature, I know it shows you an image of the creature you choose, but I think it would be a good idea to also show a preview of what the star would look like, in what place and color so that we know what it will look like before we decide to purchase it. I think this will help because sometimes stars cover more of the creature than I would like and I wanna know that before I spend my money on it, ya know?

Female
337 posts

bingo • 11 December 2016 at 10:59 PM

@Ian

What about a way for creatures names to be connected with their image when mentioned in forum posts/site-wide? Since there's SO many creatures it's easy to forgot or confuse creatures, so sometimes someone might be offering a certain creature like say an Onabi, but if I don't remember what an Onabi is I have to go hunt one down, usually in the archives if there isn't a direct link to one.

I know of another pet site that does this thing where if you hover over the name of an item/creature, a pop-up image appears showing you what it looks like. Would it be too difficult to do something like this (showing last stage) with creature names?

Male
1,991 posts

Ian • 12 December 2016 at 2:52 PM

@izziebee1017: I've been reading all the questions and the mods' answers, and I'm so pumped for Version 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!

@jellifysh: I was trying to update my profile, but I found that I, for some reason, CANNOT give a link a different color. [..] Plus, at the Travel Agency, there is a Bunny Ear Basket travel that costs... ehrm, you probably know what it costs, but it is kinda offensive.

Link colors cannot be changed. They are a standard color and should be and will be kept that standard color because multi-colored links can become too confusing in terms of usability.

With regards to the Travel Agency item price, this was completely random and arbitrary. Egg Cave doesn’t show favoritism toward certain belief systems or practices.

@momokie: I was thinking, when you go to purchase a Star for your creature, I know it shows you an image of the creature you choose, but I think it would be a good idea to also show a preview of what the star would look like, in what place and color so that we know what it will look like before we decide to purchase it…

Thanks for this suggestion. I’m going to try and improve previews.

@bingo:

Are you saying that you’d like to see popup previews for both creatures and item names? That could be cool.

64 posts

comethail • 12 December 2016 at 3:01 PM

How about an anti snipe sort of thing in the auctions so if someone bids within the last 5 or so seconds a little bit of time is added to the close date like maybe a minute or two.

395 posts

gogetavegito2498 • 12 December 2016 at 9:00 PM

@comethail AWESOME, THAT IS WHAT NBA LIVE DOES ADD 15 SECONDS TO THE BID @IAN YOU GOTTA DO THIS

Female
337 posts

bingo • 12 December 2016 at 10:23 PM

@Ian

Yes!! 😃 For creatures at LEAST but I'd love to see them for travels and other items as well! Not sure how difficult it'd be to produce but I definitely think it'd be well-received c:

@comethail

Wouldn't that be counter-productive though? What if more time was added but someone just sniped it at the last second again? Honestly that's how you win auctions. o.O

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 12 December 2016 at 10:56 PM

@bingo @comethail

I would prefer an option to set a finite closing time if this was implemented.

I would completely be in favor of "hidden bids" as per user selection so the last second bidder would not know the exact amount to outbid at the last second unless it was truly a willfully better offer rather than a so called snipe against the bidder but rather a value placed on the item[s].

Female
337 posts

bingo • 12 December 2016 at 11:21 PM

@veritaspunk

It sounds like maybe you'd rather something more fitting to how Ebay does their auctions, where you can put a sort of hidden "max" bid but you're only outbid if someone unknowingly bids higher than you. I like the way the auctions are now but I would not be against a more Ebay-like approach either. I do think it would be harder for more people to win though, because then someone who has say 1 million EC could put that as their max bid on an auction starting at 1 EC and ultimately defeating the whole purpose of the auction.

I think most people dislike the auction system as it is now because they lose to last-second snipers, but it's all part of the fun! Win some you lose some!

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 13 December 2016 at 8:02 AM

@Ian On mobile, feeding is one of the more tedious things to do. What if we got EC for clicking on links in the click exchange? Do you think giving a ~100 EC bonus for clicking on a link be good?

395 posts

gogetavegito2498 • 13 December 2016 at 9:44 AM

@everyone + @ian do something like a buy now and the price is higher/same and you can buy right away for the price if ya don't wanna wait? Owo

Female
313 posts

playdate • 13 December 2016 at 10:44 AM

@Ian breed and make hybrids

Male
92 posts

tyuio_k50 • 13 December 2016 at 4:38 PM

@Ian @Orderedchaos

Could you consider adding user galleries/collections?

The best part about other sites, I think, is the ability to collect.

I'm hoping this would work exactly like Neopets' gallery feature: you add items to a gallery, pay to upgrade the gallery's storage, and put items into subcategories based on your current collections. Of course, I would hope that the number of categories would be far less limited, and sorting features would actually work.

This would work separate for creature's item collections: wheres that works like the gourmet/reading list on Neopets, a user gallery would be a user's personal collection where they could store and show off items in collections split by sub categories.

If this feature were added, I think I'd really get into playing again. One of the funnest part about similar ties is being able to work towards getting hard items, anticipate new items, and show off your collections.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 13 December 2016 at 5:12 PM

@tyuio_k50

hehe what initially lured me here to Egg Cave was that it was a different pace, "feel" and overall experience than neopets, but I could appreciate those features here, especially a user shop.

@bingo

"Snipers" still have to dedicate time and be willing to invest the EC. If I put something on auction I want to "move" that creature/item & I want competition, if I wanted a slower more drawn out process I would put it on trades to negotiate an appropriate amount through exchanges.

I don't see why there couldn't be styles of Auctions suited for various buyers/sellers rather than boxed into one 😃

Male
3,317 posts

tikimaki • 13 December 2016 at 6:11 PM

@Ian

I know you've got a lot of suggestions to read, hopefully you have time to read mine...

Deselect button!

For users who have hundreds of creatures and book at time, a deselect immortal button would be infinitely useful!

You currently have to "hide immortals" and manually deselect all of them, which is a pain when you've got 50+ creatures to deselect

Thanks

Male
92 posts

tyuio_k50 • 13 December 2016 at 7:29 PM

@veritaspunk Oh definitely, but having a goal other than your pets/creatures is always fun.

Female
258 posts

spectaclenest • 14 December 2016 at 3:42 AM

@ian most needed for me anyway 😋 is some strong room reorganization, if we could sort by shop or type of item, or best of all if we could make our own groups of items, maybe like creature lists work? maybe if these lists could be made public like creature lists they could also serve as a gallery type feature?
i'm sorry if this is insanely or even moderately farfetched but it would be amazing if collecting items on creatures was like filling out a checklist, with faded or question mark images like undiscovered creature stages in the archives filling unused item slots and used items filled in with clear images, maybe organized by date released so the order isn't constantly being changed? like when you collect stamps you buy a book full of pictures of the stamps you need to find and paste in over top of them.
a hundred years thanks etc. for this great game ❤️

Male
2,762 posts

fakeworld • 15 December 2016 at 8:52 PM

Could we have the ability to change our usernames? I don't think I would change mines, but I'm sure there are tons of people who would love to. I have seen this brought up by different users over the years, but have never seen or read an official response to this idea.

We could have an item called "Name Change Token" (or something more fascinating to read) that we could buy from the CSP. This would also be helpful to those who joined with foolish usernames and didn't realize until way after registration LOL. A lot of people tend to create new accounts to obtain new usernames because they "disliked" the name of their original account.

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 15 December 2016 at 9:20 PM

@ian In the auctions, what if we were able to set up a notification when the auction is 5, 10, 15, or 30 minutes left. I saw someone ask for when ANY auction is about to end, but it would get really annoying. If we were able to select the ones we want to get notified, it would make some people happy.

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 15 December 2016 at 9:27 PM

@ian @orderedchaos @mastergemma @jazzyleia

Can there be an exception to the 2 letter creature names for the "Mo" ?

235 posts

shadowy_overseer • 16 December 2016 at 10:34 PM

@Ian @orderedchaos Suggestion for a new location: Carla City. It's mentioned quite a few times in the archives, so I thought it'd be interesting if we could finally see it for ourselves.

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 16 December 2016 at 11:01 PM

I lost track of what's been said but

http://egg-cave.us/auctions/10/show

The eggs are all question mark ones not actual species? If that makes sense? There was another like that too?

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 16 December 2016 at 11:03 PM

@immortalraven relocate your post to the beta testing forum

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 16 December 2016 at 11:04 PM

@jellifysh
o-o I don't know how I ended up on here. Thanks. I could have sworn I pressed the testing one since I saw this one too and thought in my head go to the other.
Thanks for letting me know o-o

Female
1,143 posts

valorieviolet • 17 December 2016 at 2:23 AM

*Posting this here since it's not really an error, just something that bugs me*

When going to adopt a creature at the cave, I think the five hidden eggs should be closer together, as they are on this version of egg cave. I use a laptop and it just takes more effort to move the mouse all the way across the screen in the new version 😋

Tbh I kinda just like how the cave is already laid out >.<

Also, the "Edit Profile Text" button for the creatures is waaay too close to the actual profile text. Maybe that can be moved more to the far right or even under the text?

Should I post this in the other forum....?

90 posts

idol • 17 December 2016 at 2:26 AM

Not sure where else to comment.

I was lucky enough to be allowed to be a better tester..

But I was just wondering why the font was so big on the update?

It looks like a lot of the titles use like a 50/60 point font. And I think it is very.. unnecessary.

I like the new design and update but I wish it wasn't so big. It provides unnecessary scrolling.
It just seems very.. In your face.
Is there a way to fix that maybe? (Am I the only one who doesn't like it?)

I have noticed this new update involves a TON of scrolling on many things.

Also I don't really care for how when you search for a name for example I looked up Kai.

"We found 486 total possible matches. Looking for the Forums search? (This is users and creatures only.)"

I don't like that I can not separate it.
Lucky enough Kai without any addition to the name was on the first page. But I don't want to have to try to click page after page to find the egg or even user I might be looking for to see if it is available. (Even though it wouldn't let me go past the first page I assume that might be a bug)

Also not sure if it is a bug so I will just add it. I couldn't figure out how to change my main creature on the new update. Right now it's my Vaccin. I couldn't change it to something else.

Oh and last thing. My profile says gender unknown but on the update it just has a male gender thing instead of the purple unknown.

I hope it was okay that I posted this here. ^^; if not please remove it or something.
Thank you for reading.

Female
30 posts

moonwolfstar • 18 December 2016 at 3:35 PM

@Ian

Can we be able to add more creatures to the click Exchange? would be really nice!