Version 3 Beta Testing: Official Topic

in General

Female
192 posts

vanley • 10 February 2017 at 5:17 AM

It was said before that since it isn't an actual site all it did was copy a bit of your account and put a few of your creatures there so you could experiment. It isn't directly linked to your account, it's just a test.

Female
894 posts

murfijs • 10 February 2017 at 8:33 AM

@Ian there are 18 missing at the archieves i see in v3 are 555 species but in v2 are 568

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 10 February 2017 at 8:46 AM

@murfijs it hasnt been updated. The last it was updated was when the ibridi was made.

Female
1,967 posts

novrain62 • 10 February 2017 at 10:30 AM

A New Error.

What I was trying to do: Post a comment on someone's wall
URL of Page: http://egg-cave.us/@shyblue
What went wrong: I typed "hello. thank you for feeds. All Fed 😊"

I got this reply:

"This has been flagged for bad words and could not be submitted."

Print Screen of Comment & Message:
http://prntscr.com/e703vu

I Waited a few minutes and refreshed. Tried to post again, but got the same response.

http://prntscr.com/e70bl5

Female
45 posts

laa • 10 February 2017 at 1:18 PM

All of my creatures are back to egg stage☹️(What??)

Male
1,991 posts

Ian • 10 February 2017 at 3:56 PM

As a reminder to our new testers, the new version of Egg Cave is a TESTING SITE and contains a COPY OF YOUR DATA. It is not live. You won’t be able to keep anything that “happens” on the test site. If a creature dies on the test site, it doesn’t matter. Your data will be synced up when version 3 goes live. egg-cave.us is testing. eggcave.com is your real account.

That’s the reason your creatures are all eggs and have little to no stats. It’s a test server, things change based on the needs of the developers. This account data is NOT REAL. It’s test data, including your free CaveCash balances. That’s there for testing. It’s all a test and you’re helping us find bugs.
❤️

@dariely3 thank you so much for such positive feedback. You rock! I love it. When you buy a CaveCash item and it says “close the box to view it in your Inventory,” that’s because you need to close the modal pop up box. The page itself has already redirected you to your Inventory, so this isn’t a bug.

With regards to the 5500 Views Cash Shop item, it’s not a physical item that goes to your Inventory. Instead, all of your creature views are updated immediately.

Right now, locked items in your Inventory are not excluded from the selection menus just yet. We’re working on improving that.

@scorpio: thanks for the error report on the recent posts page. It has been fixed and optimized!

@sodabearjess: the EasyCode page has been reformatted to look a little bit better. Thank you for pointing this out!

@novrain62: that’s the funniest thing. Somehow “hello” got flagged as a bad word. LOL! Fixed.

With regards to the comments about the layout feeling too big, too colorful, and too expansive, I encourage our testers to give it some time to sink in. The web has changed A LOT since the current version of Egg Cave was designed. In general, more spacious-feeling layouts is more common than you think.

We are, however, trying to solve some of the formatting issues and feel your pain specifically with regards to the missing sidebar. We are considering reworking the layout to include a sidebar again. Thank you for your feedback.

❤️

Female
1,589 posts

flowerlynx • 10 February 2017 at 4:03 PM

@Ian
Personally, I love V3. I like the fact that it's more colorful, and it's sometimes easier to see. It has a lot more features, and it seems more modern.
That being said, I'm still getting used to everything being so big.
Mostly, however, I very much enjoy it. ❤️

Male
1,991 posts

Ian • 10 February 2017 at 4:10 PM

@flowerlynx I'm so glad to hear that! That's so exciting! ❤️

Female
313 posts

playdate • 10 February 2017 at 4:21 PM

@ian can we make requests for the shops?

Male
1,991 posts

Ian • 10 February 2017 at 4:22 PM

@playdate what do you mean? Like more types of shops? Sure! What would you like to see?

Agender
136 posts

asbe • 10 February 2017 at 4:28 PM

@Ian Then make creature images bigger, as well. They should stand out, shouldn't they?

Female
313 posts

playdate • 10 February 2017 at 4:32 PM

@Ian
Oh no but that's a thought too I meant like the items they sold but referring to your idea what about like accessories like hats etc

Female
1,034 posts

momokie • 10 February 2017 at 4:32 PM

@Ian

I agree the creature images seem to small like @Asbe said. I think on the computer the layout is very nice, I would like to see the sidebar back though its so easy to access and I miss that. However its much harder to access on mobile smoothly. V2 is much easier to navigate on mobile, v3 is so huge and cant be zoomed out easy and the scrolling is endless on mobile. I hope to see an easier mobile version to work with much like v2 as im mainly a mobile user with limited access to a computer. Thank you so much ♡

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 10 February 2017 at 4:49 PM

@Ian What if we were able to buy Tickets for cc items? Like, an Essence of Lidsnats ticket or a Mars Stone ticket? Maybe EC tickets, so that you can send EC to other people?

So you can send it to other people and they can redeem it, like they do CC Vouchers?

Art Layout: (I can't draw a tree, so i need someone to draw it)

A small, white ticket that is curved up, but has the symbol on it (lidsnats, venus stone, star potion, etc.). The size is in relation to a normal item, as it should be...

Male
660 posts

brad • 10 February 2017 at 9:13 PM

@Ian
Before I say anything, everything here is completely my opinion and preference. I've done some website layouts recently myself, so I understand that there are going to be some people that love ANY website, and some people that hate ANY website. And that it is definitely going to take time for anybody to adjust to change.

I understand what you're saying in reference to more "modern" websites being "expansive", compared to the current version.
But I'm not comparing it to the current version, necessarily.
I like some of the more big, bubbly type layouts, but I feel that it's too "expansive".
Some of the pages that shouldn't be very big at all, you are having to scroll WAYYY too much. (Screen resolution being 1366x768px)

I actually have the stylish extension for chrome installed, so I went and started changing a few of the things in ways that I personally prefer it.
Most everything is purely preference, but one of the things I think may make a good change is putting a bit of a background behind the buttons on the nav bar at the top right.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/8lKKc
I feel like this change gives it more of a feel of a sidebar type thing. Something separate from the other nav bar buttons, and... I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, but it gives it more of feel of those buttons are for? I have no idea how to explain what I'm trying to say. 😋 It also makes them a lot easier to see too.

Here is an example of the create a trade page and scrolling too much. There is no reason that it is only 4 creatures wide. You could very easily go to 5 and keep your "expansive" design and eliminate a lot of scrolling. Coves on profiles are 6 wide, and I think they look great. There is a bit of extra space vertically too that you could take advantage of if you wanted.
I have a medium sized cove and it's still very large. You get some of the coves some people on here have, and you'll be scrolling forever. It is very nice having the search bar, though.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/OZjJP
I've actually narrowed the page here some, but made also made it 5 wide. So it's a smaller module even, and I think there is still plenty of horizontal space. You may want more vertical space, but this is again, just my preference.

And then the cave. It's totally random, (I presume, at least.) so there isn't any real reason to have an option anyway. I understand why you do, though. But is it necessary to take up so much room with the option? In the pictures, you're seeing my entire browser. I don't have any toolbars, bookmark bars, or anything. So I have maximized the amount of the page I can see.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/g8GRX
In my changes, you still have an option, but it eliminates a lot of extra scrolling.
I have fixed the position of the nav bar, which takes up extra room, (Contradicting myself, I know. 😋) but you can see my whole browser window again and see how much less room it takes up. Compared to before just the option takes up the entire window.

I just realized I wrote a novel. Whoops. There was a few more things I was going to point out, but I've ran out of time, and I'm pretty sure you probably understand what I am trying to get at.
And again, I'm not trying to say anything bad towards you or your design. I think it's a great design. Just trying to give feedback of ways that could possibly improve it. (In ways that are, again, totally just my opinion! ;D)

Quick edit: Also on the create a trade page, I have a horizontal scroll bar. If it's not always there I'm guessing it's either my full row of Goldentree Meadows, or Creepy Clown Masks. Like I said, I'm out of time so I can't test it. Sorry! D:

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 10 February 2017 at 9:46 PM

@ian

I did some tests on the forums.

Apparently, hashtags do not work. They do not appear as clickable links.

Also, the command [url=][/url] does not work. I am not sure why...

Female
1,967 posts

novrain62 • 10 February 2017 at 10:29 PM

@Ian - that is truly funny! Thank you for fixing 😊

69 posts

amysnow • 11 February 2017 at 12:20 AM

Page URL of error: http://egg-cave.us/cashshop/freezes
What I was trying to do: I use [Pitcher of 2600 Feeds] and [Essence of Litsndats] together

What failed: I bought a [Pitcher of 2600 Feeds] and some of my creatures had evolve. But when I used [Essence of Litsndats] to keep its current stage, the creatures is still in the stage before evolve.

And in current version, I can Read more about this species to see all evolve stage after, I alway want to know what's egg will born what creature, but I don't see anything like this in version 3.

Female
1,475 posts

emeraldfirefly • 11 February 2017 at 4:42 PM

@Ian

Page URL of error: http://egg-cave.us/history/mylights
What I was trying to do: View the 2009 myLights Christmas Competition page in the site's history
What failed: It was titled "The Case of the Missing Kinump Seeds" and all the article said was //

Female
894 posts

murfijs • 12 February 2017 at 3:15 AM

@Ian it will be cool if there can get retired creatures from leila oasis.they gonna be pretty rare but they could be obtainable from there.just saying an idea.anyway i love the v3.

Female
1,967 posts

novrain62 • 12 February 2017 at 9:11 AM

Suggestion

After placing an item on a creature, i'd like to be able to click on that creature from that page to go to it's profile, like we can in V2.

Non-binary
1,218 posts

degong • 12 February 2017 at 7:26 PM

@Ian

If I try to use an url (for example, this), it doesn't work. I'm typing it exactly like we do on Version 2, so am I doing something wrong?

Male
660 posts

brad • 12 February 2017 at 7:39 PM

Would it be possible to have profile text collapsible?
Some people have a ton on their profiles. With the current text size combined with the line height... o.O

I've done what I can in the edit that I'm making with stylish. It's not perfect though. It'd be a lot better if it was a clickable collapse.

If you want, you can see what I've got here: http://imgur.com/a/VW084
It's just a couple images from the top.

Edit: I may be wayy overthinking things. Why not just set a maximum height and add a scrollbar?

Female
4 posts

angelafrostynose • 13 February 2017 at 10:04 AM

The EC doesn't get updated and the CC is the incorrect amount

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 13 February 2017 at 10:17 AM

@angelafrostynose what exactly do you mean? You have 10,000 CC for testing purposes. As it is nit in sync with the v2 server, it will not be up to date. It was last synced somewhere from January 5th to January 19th. So, your EC will not match, normally. I hope this clears up your problems.

-jellifysh.

Female
67 posts

angy-love • 13 February 2017 at 11:30 AM

@Ian

After reading that the copied eggs are meant to be back to level one, I can't say I have found any mistake, glitch or whatsoever.

But I found this amazing new feature that when you search for a creature name and type the name of the species; besides to the list with all creatures with the species name in it you'll get this very nice question:

"Were you looking for the *** Archive entry?" with *** being the link to the species in the archive.

I absolutely love this! Thank you so much for giving us this feature.

❤️ Angy ❤️

Edit: I just remembered, since we all don't have immortal creatures, we are not really able to test the button "hide immortals" at Tim's.

Also there are no travels to buy at the cave cash shop. I would like to buy one and test if there are problems when you remove the travel and then reapply it.

Thanky you very much for letting us help with the testing, it's fun 😊

Male
1,991 posts

Ian • 13 February 2017 at 2:34 PM

@o_o: thanks very much for your constructive feedback. I really appreciate it. I’ve implemented your changes specifically in the items and creature “selectors” and have put 6 items on a row as opposed to 4. This will make scrolling less.

I have also added a background opacity to the right part of the nav bar, but have skipped the border. Giving this background color a try.

Profile text now scrolls, when it is over a certain length (still being tailored).

With regards to you having a horizontal scroll bar, can you please send me the page URL where this is happening? Things on the page should “auto break” when they are too wide and wrap to the next line in most cases. Screen grabs helpful too, if you can’t send me a URL. I appreciate it. Ping back! 😊

@jellifysh: thanks for the reminder on hash tags. Working on that as we speak!

@amysnow: thanks for reporting this about these Cash Shop items. I'll look into this. With regards to "Read More" about a species from an egg profile, you can click the species name DIRECTLY in the page heading to go to the respective Archives entry. For example, click the species name here to go to the Archives (page title): https://cl.ly/j9HY

@novrain62: implemented. Creature image is now clickable to go to their profile upon using an item.

@degong: nope. This is just a text processing issue. The test server is looking for "egg-cave.us" (the domain of the site). This will be fixed once the test server goes live.

@angelafrostynose: are you saying that your EC and CC amount is incorrect on the test server? That's alright -- it's not a bug. The test server is NOT in sync with the live server, but will be once it goes live.

@angy-love: thanks so much for testing! I really appreciate it. ❤️

Male
660 posts

brad • 13 February 2017 at 3:00 PM

@Ian
Oh wow, thank you for using some of my suggestions!

Even with the 6 wide items, it's still doing the horizontal scroll. It still may be that I have a full row of Creepy Clown Masks, with their long name. (Actually nevermind, got rid of them and it's still happening.)

Page url: http://egg-cave.us/trades/create
Screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/paOu9

I also included a new problem that's there now. 😉

https://i.imgur.com/jrMwlkO.gifv
(This seems pretty relevant.)

Female
1,967 posts

novrain62 • 13 February 2017 at 9:37 PM

@Ian - Thank You!! 😊

Deleted • 14 February 2017 at 1:21 PM

@Ian

I noticed that at the bottom on a creature pg, there isn't a preview of the creature description, or the view in the archives link.
Is this not going to be in the new version?
If so, I'll miss it. X<