The Official Species Rerelease Discussion

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Should Retired Cave/Cash Shop Creatures Be Re-released?

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 29 July 2015 at 6:06 PM

@ami_utsukushii

Before the Christmas fiasco, they weren't nearly as avid with the "This is retired forever." It was after the extremely negative response that it generated. Ian then said that re-releases would not be happening again. He had good intentions, but it did not work. Ever since then, Eggcave has been very expressive in non re-releases.

As I said, creatures' rarity are user-generated. Some are going to be impossible to get, but really it isn't that many. We can live with it.

There aren't a ton of creatures that are just imposssible to obtain. Elbow-grease is all ya need.

Re-releasing creatures would take away that special thrill you get, not to mention going back on their word. I can imagine that you are geting sick of hearing that same argument, but I'm stressing it due to importance.

They said they wouldn't, they shouldn't. It's really as simple as that.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 29 July 2015 at 6:11 PM

@despair

... What if say 1 Macbot and/or Doovoo was up for grabs to the winner of the Halloween event this year ? That's an opportunity, based on dedication ..,

Ian could open up the Oasis to ALL creatures not just the endangered one ... there's an opportunity for all players

What if we compromised and Cave creatures of the past are available to be found in the cave every creature release week ?

I kind of liked that April Fools arrangement ... except that it was just a joke, a cruel one imo ...

Female
443 posts

scorch_cloud222 • 29 July 2015 at 6:11 PM

With everyone arguing, I think we are losing sight of the facts here. People are upset because values will decrease. Does anyone honestly think that a Doovoo egg is worth $800? That is more money than I pay in rent. The Doovoo was $5 when it came out. That is a ridiculous inflation in price. Re-releases will stabilize creature values and make it possible for new players to even have a chance.

As for "keeping its word" and "false advertising", sometimes people have to revisit an idea if it isn't going to work in the long term. That's called prudence, not dishonesty.

105 posts

maleficent • 29 July 2015 at 6:13 PM

Say this every single time.....

What people pay for their creatures is not Egg Cave's responsibilty. That is between you and the other person. Never, ever trade more then you are willing to give without complaining. Every site I play on re-release. It's fundamental to keep older players happy and new ones too.Values always recover, if not people are still very happy 😉

Egg Cave has to be able to change and not be locked into somethign that was said years ago. Never agreed with it cause I thought it was not good for a business ,which is what Egg Cave is, to limit what they will or will not do. Every one in life will say something and then have a change of heart.

Sure some got their creatures fairly and worked up. Many also got theirs by lieing about values, paying cash or trading for offiste items, friending the right people, etc. So "working hard" is not such a concrete valid point.

I'm all for it so re-relase away. I'll still be happy with my creatures no matter their value cause that is how it should be!

I'm not going into a merry go round with this so this is all I have to say yet again 😊

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 29 July 2015 at 6:17 PM

@veritaspunk

The one Doovoo and Macbot thing doesn't sound too bad imo. I think it could work, although I still don't completely agree.

@scorch_cloud222

Value isn't the sole thing we're not agreeing with. The Doovoo egg being worth $800 is a guess of it's worth. They're not in circulation enough for an exact value to be determined, and that's not a bad thing. As I keep saing, we can live without getting a Doovoo egg.

"As for "keeping its word" and "false advertising", sometimes people have to revisit an idea if it isn't going to work in the long term. That's called prudence, not dishonesty."

Uh, it's still dishonest regardless of whether it's making people happy or what. They said something, they went against it. Regardless of the intricate reasoning behind it, that is a lie.

Female
865 posts

netherling • 29 July 2015 at 6:20 PM

@despair

Yes you all keep saying that, but one point you won't be able to because the times will change. That special thrill goes away once you realize what you just spent. And if so many people are going after this certain creature, the chance of you getting it is smaller. I think the fiasco was a...horrible reaction. Uncalled for. If a re-release happens again a lot more people will be happy, and that's what I'm looking at. My cove is full of creatures I love, hard to get back if I trade them away. With their stolen dates and everything. I want to be able to keep my cove and spend CC to get certain creatures, but not so much that I'm sitting at home like..."wow I needed that money for gas...and food...and clothes...dang it."

@scorch_cloud222
Thank you for saying that xD that's EXACTLY what I'm saying.

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 29 July 2015 at 6:26 PM

@ami_utsukushii

I do understand that times change, which is why I feel it'd be at least a little better if some sort of middle-ground could be found. Which is why I suggested that this probably needs to be postponed and re-discussed later when the general opinion has changed a bit more.

@maleficent

And, also, as I myself keep saying other sites that use re-releases have been doing that forever so it isn't out of place or changing values. Eggcave has not done this (vigorously, anyways) which is why I feel a sudden implementation would be out of place.

The supporters seem to be completely disregarding the "stand behind it's word" thing, so I'll stop bringing that up. Desire of re-releases seems to be more important than keeping Eggcave's credibility.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 29 July 2015 at 6:28 PM

@despair postponement is not a middle ground .. it's keeping status quo ...

Female
865 posts

netherling • 29 July 2015 at 6:30 PM

@despair
Its been 6 years, it has changed a little more. And its not that the desire is bigger than the credibility, its that when the majority wants something, you find a way to make them happy but also a way that keeps the minority happy too.

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 29 July 2015 at 6:31 PM

@veritaspunk

For me, putting it off is a middle-ground. In the middle of scrapping the idea completely.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 29 July 2015 at 6:38 PM

@despair

I think the issue is the creator[s] let the player have too much say so in the economy and that didn't allow for a "fixed economy" so at this point pandoras box has long been opened ... the problem was this was let to drag on too long

.. but I'd like to see some hard data on the majority/minority support here ...

Female
865 posts

netherling • 29 July 2015 at 6:43 PM

@veritaspunk
I do too, I wish a poll had been added to this. And that's kinda true, honestly I think there should've been a vote, over a week or two, letting people have time to get their opinions in. Its not too late to happen.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 29 July 2015 at 6:58 PM

@ami_utsukushii

ya know something that isn't discussed much, that I see at least, is those retired travels :wink: ... but seriously

I mean why not consider a re-release for them as well ? ...

I've payed CC for retired travels, but wouldn't mind them becoming available again too ... within events that encourage engagement with the site.

Female
369 posts

beckah-lula • 29 July 2015 at 6:59 PM

I totally support the idea for a re-release, I like the idea of quests or events and such, adds a little fun and challenge to it😊

I've spent quite a decent amount on getting my cove, and I don't even have any really rare creatures, but I wouldn't mind my creatures decreasing in value, I paid what they were worth at the time, that's how things work, things go up and down in price over time, you sell at the high stages and buy at the lower stages, in egg cave the prices just go up, if you wait a while to get your dreamy, you just have to pay more because it's been unavailable for longer... In an economy, items values rise and fall all the time, my house isn't worth what i brought it for anymore but I don't mind, because I like my house... (Strange example but I hope it helped make my point...)

Also I don't really understand this viewpoint of I had to work for it so should the new players, just because rereleases weren't available to you doesn't mean it shouldn't be available to others, the minimum wage was a lot lower when I first got a job, I struggled to pay for anything I truly had to work for everything but I wouldn't wish that on the younger generation.

And although yes Eggcave should keep it's word, I think the forever thing was put in place in retaliation to the 2011 fiasco rather than a thought out promise, kinda like a heat of the moment thing in an argument.

But anyway, that's just my opinion😊 night night all😊

Male
1,247 posts

Meteoroid • 29 July 2015 at 7:16 PM

A poll has now been added to this topic, thank you for the input.

For all intents and purposes, creatures obtained from events, such as Creature Release Week, Easter Egg Hunt, Halloween Bash, Chocotravaganza, etc. are being viewed as Cave creatures.

738 posts

dragonnn • 29 July 2015 at 7:23 PM

I vote for the re-release of creatures.

I loved reading this thread (and hope to read more posts). Excellent ideas throughout.

I particularly agree with:

@despair

on the fact that some users will hold out on trading/buying rare creatures, waiting for them to be re-released instead,

@bluewolf

on releasing new, extremely rare creatures to give newer users a boost (though those new creatures won't be Balrogs or Vampyrs :C),

@yam

on much of what they have posted,

@metaphor

on the strength/flexibility of the economy/cycle here,

and many other points, several of which have been repeated numerous times in this thread.

+ If the goal, or one of the goals, is to facilitate trading on EggCave, an expensive/hard to get item (like a summoning jar, etc. for 2000CC/low odds of acquiring, for example) that would produce a random retired creature is an idea. Because the creature is random, the new owner may want to trade it since they don't like it...I still need to think this out more though, since hording is always an option, which I personally enjoy.

Female
865 posts

netherling • 29 July 2015 at 7:26 PM

Yay, poll lol

@beckah-lula
I like your point of view a lot, it makes a lot of sense.

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 29 July 2015 at 8:05 PM

A user who wishes to remain anonymous wanted me to share their opinion on the matter

"We live in a capitalist country. Things are super expensive, or super cheap. There's some middle ground.
People pay millions for gold coins, especially if they were produced in the 1700s.
People don't pay much for grass. Pretty much, grass = commons. Next to nothing worth.
The entire "re-releasing" thing should have been done A LONG TIME AGO, not six years later.
People will pay for what they want. People that can't afford it can only dream.
This is the society we live in. We don't "re-release" gold coins made in the 1700s. It's impossible, and impractical.
Get over it guys.
Re-release may be supported by you guys, but there are a lot of people staying out of the drama that is always caused by these topics. Official or not."

738 posts

dragonnn • 29 July 2015 at 8:11 PM

But if you don't show up to vote or voice your opinion, who will hear you...

More supply draws in more people, right? Most of the creatures used to advertise EggCave are retired too...So what does that tell new players?

Female
865 posts

netherling • 29 July 2015 at 8:23 PM

@dragonnn
Yeah true, when people see the Egg Cave advertisements, the creatures on them are retired. I was looking at that a few dats ago. People think those creatures are cool/cute, they join, then find out they cant get it unless they pay a lot of money.

@despair
They have a point, yet the thing has always been that the majority vote is what happens. That's how things go. Someone will always hate the majority vote, that's always been that way. And they'll think its unfair, but again, that's how things go. We could bring all these reason in, anti or pro, but the thing is, if more people agree, no matter how many anti reasons you throw out, at least five pro reasons will come to bat with it. But if the majority vote was anti then it would be the other way around. In this case, this site teaches real world skills, but yet its not like if creatures are re-released, the economy is going to collapse and everything will go into a giant panic and the world will end. It wont. Of course.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 29 July 2015 at 8:25 PM

@despair

Is that where the creators want to take/continue egg cave on a reflection in disparity in "real world 21st century capitalism" ?

I thought games allowed you to stretch the bounds of reality, become an escape and allow you to express and operate away from the strictures of your offline obligations...

I'm not that much entertained by a concept that metastasizes into a money pit for the few where a minority round table of players strings along at their fancy the other players ...

like I said fervent greed is the act of that drama laying entrenched in the weeds amongst that lowly grass :-P

Female
865 posts

netherling • 29 July 2015 at 8:40 PM

@veritaspunk
The big thing here is that people don't want to feel like they wasted their money. Well that happens all the time. And they'd have the original creatures so they would have something special. But for whatever reason, a re-release just needs to happen. To take prices down from crazy to reasonable and for all the other reasons named.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 29 July 2015 at 8:48 PM

@ami_utsukushii

I think what egg cave needs is a clear vision ... how much is it a hobby or is it a business that needs to profit ... and can it profit when the main attractions call for price points of 100's of dollars or more in demand in the future ...

Does it truly alienate growth to those aims ? That's the bottom line for its concept creator[s].

Female
865 posts

netherling • 29 July 2015 at 8:53 PM

@veritaspunk

If creatures came back out, they'd come back out for more CC in the shop, and that would help the site out. And the users, by letting them get their dreamies in some way.

Male
2,324 posts

raitonchidori • 29 July 2015 at 8:59 PM

Since I joined this site, I always tried to collect one of specie, as you can see in @raitoncollection. As you can also see, I don't have one of each. Basically, as I never bought CC and almost never had CC to spend, I miss a huge part of CC released species. But that's not only CC species. I also don't have cave released species (the old ones, as Unchaga).

So I would really like species to be rereleased again. It would be good for new users as well. Of course I wouldn't like lots of them at the same time, there should be a period of time between the rereleased creatures.

The site could also promove events with old species as a prize, I don't know.

Female
1,323 posts

promise • 29 July 2015 at 9:06 PM

@Ian

This interests me. I am for the release of past creatures only if it is controlled. I don't want to see 100 more Frions around when it took me a while to even get one. I would be all for this idea if it was in controlled amounts like if they were prizes for events like the million view giveaway. If we can have events with prizes that can give new users a chance while not giving out too many creatures at the same time.

Edit: Now that I have read the whole Discussion I would like to say my opinion on some of the main points.

#1 I feel like Eggcave has ALWAYS promised to keep to the creatures exclusive and I always felt it would stay that way. That is a valid point that makes me consider that re-release isn't the best idea.

#2 Just because it's hard to get old creatures when you are new doesn't mean it should be easy. I do NOT want a free for all. If the creatures should be released again at all I think it should be in tiny amounts that can be controlled in order to not ruin the value or meaning of having a rare creature. I would also like the people to some how work for the creatures like I did for mine. There can be contests like writing, fan art and feeding contests that could be held monthly to award deserving users with valuable creatures for their hard work. This gives users a chance without having to spend money but also adds to the eggcave experience.

Female
726 posts

rosaline_kaye • 29 July 2015 at 9:54 PM

Sigh. It seems like the re-release is inevitable now.

I agree with @promise ;

"#1 I feel like Eggcave has ALWAYS promised to keep to the creatures exclusive and I always felt it would stay that way. That is a valid point that makes me consider that re-release isn't the best idea.

#2 Just because it's hard to get old creatures when you are new doesn't mean it should be easy. I do NOT want a free for all. If the creatures should be released again at all I think it should be in tiny amounts that can be controlled in order to not ruin the value or meaning of having a rare creature. I would also like the people to some how work for the creatures like I did for mine. There can be contests like writing, fan art and feeding contests that could be held monthly to award deserving users with valuable creatures for their hard work. This gives users a chance without having to spend money but also adds to the eggcave experience."

Contests would be okay, I guess, since you have to put some effort into it.

EggCave also promised that the CSP creatures will be retired FOREVER. I'd be quite upset if EggCave breaks their word.

I still don't understand why we are losing. The only reason why we have nice critters is because we worked extremely hard to get them. We didn't just get it in a year. It takes hard work and dedication, alright?

Just because you can't get your freaking dream creature doesn't mean you have to beg and beg and beg for it to be re-released so you can have a chance to get it. Once again, work for your creatures.

[[keep fighting despair and bluewolf and other people lmao

Female
865 posts

netherling • 29 July 2015 at 10:08 PM

*sigh*@rosaline_kaye
I don't see anyone begging. Just giving reasons why they support it. Its not the end of the world or the site. I like what @promise said, about the contests, and fan art. That's pretty cool. Monthly contests about certain holidays or events, and the best art wins the creature they drew. Something like that. We understand you worked hard, you've emphasized that a lot But there can be a fair way to re-release creatures that wont completely devastate you like you've acted like it would do.

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 29 July 2015 at 10:10 PM

@ami_utsukushii

Monthly doesn't seem very moderated to me. xD And the drawing part of it brings up an entirely different issue. Some people suck at drawing, they wouldn't even really have a chance.

I get what you're saying, though. Diverse contests and whatnot.

Still don't agree though.

Female
865 posts

netherling • 29 July 2015 at 10:13 PM

@despair
I'm just saying one creature a month, bur of course there could be many other ways to do it that wont harm people's idea of the rarity. Not all of it has to be drawing, and if people suck at drawing (like me 75% of the time xD) then there would be another way.