Black Lives Matter Raffle [CLOSED]

in User Contests & Giveaways

Male
682 posts

decay • 12 June 2020 at 9:50 AM

Hello everyone!

It's been about 2 weeks since the protest/riots have begun in the United States.
I have been hesitant to talk about this topic on Eggcave as I felt like it wasn't the place but I thought that I should do what I can to inform people about this problem.

In order to gather some attention to this topic, I will be giving away this frozen Volpe named Tien!

After the steps below are completed, I'll enter you onto the list and will pick a winner on July 1st.

Rules to enter:
1. Ping 3 friends
3. Read to the information regarding BLM below ↓↓↓

[Trigger Warning: The information below is regarding race, violence and controversial topics. I will not be discussing violence in detail, though.]

The riots have gathered worldwide attention due to their immense violence, destruction, and frankly media coverage. However, I feel like this attention on the violence takes away from the root problems that should be discussed; racial discrimination in America.

According to various sources, ( I will name if asked), African Americans are around 2.5 times more likely to be to be killed by police compared to White Americans. In Illinois, Washington D.C, and New York, 88% of police killings were against African Americans.

Similarly, in California, African American drivers are stopped more frequently ( 28% of all stops despite African Americans only being 9% of the population) and Police Officers are more likely to use aggressive tactics or force.

This type of discrimination by police likely comes from racial biases such as black men being seen as "larger and more aggressive" even if they were the same height and build as a caucasian man.
This is a stereotype and bias that has been built into American Society after years of media, movies, shows depicting black men and women as depraved, uneducated, criminal, and exotic.

What is less talked about is that other communities of minorities are targeted in the same way.
Latinos are the second largest community killed by police, we are pulled over more frequently, and police are more likely to use force against us.
Out of 385,000 people pulled over by LAPD cops, 180,000 of them were Latinos.

Once again, we are more likely to be seen as aggressive, less educated, and overall "less than" compared to a white person.

In my personal experience as a Latino Man, I have to keep in mind that having a last name such as Cruz, Rodriguez, Lopez, etc., which are commonly Latino, will potentially result in less job opportunities. My brown skin around some places will result in stares and whispers.
In the art community, I was warned by my high school teacher not to put any trace of my last name in my AP art pieces, as latino last names are more likely to get worse scores.

I hope that through this post, more people will be aware of the problems in the U.S. that are highlighted by the protests/riots.

Feel free to ask any questions, discuss, etc. or PM me if you wanna know more.

Thank you for reading this, to enter the contest, please tell me your favorite food so I could be sure you read at least some of this post.

If you read this and felt like helping the cause, here are links to places to donate and petitions to sign:
https://www.change.org/p/mayor-jacob-...
https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/#d...
https://www.joincampaignzero.org/
https://minnesotafreedomfund.org/donate
https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/
(NOTE: Donations/Petitions are not required to enter the contest).

Raffle Entries:
1. @Galaxyleopard
2. @lokisonoflaufey
3. @nostagiic
4. @frosting
5. @birdsong
6. @lexicon
7. @shadowfaxe
8. @sandara
9. @arcana
10. @blizzards
11. @thedarkarcher
12. @yogurt
13. @pouncessoftly
14. @emo_pattys
15. @rael_barclay
16. @bunnyshadow
17. @lisa1321
18. @chapus
19. @surgeon
20. @zantago
21. @duckhunter
22. @ravensong
23. @dreamii
24. @marner
25. @totallynotjoey
26. @subie
27. @nficewing
28. @barkitz
29. @seoramen
30. @skymoare
31. @ethereality
32. @marythebeast
33. @tetromino
34. @nightmarerainbow
35. @whitefall
36. @sodabearjess
37. @moonweaver
38. @valorie100
39. @chaotictreat
40. @qerrats
41. @jirachiwishmaker
42. @myriadium
43. @izziebee1017
44. @discordia
45. @starfirenebula

(If the post gets taken down, I will pick a winner from the people who entered as long as at least 10 people enter.)

Gender Fluid
1,346 posts

kayuubii • 12 June 2020 at 10:01 AM

@decay
Can I enter?
Fav food - Mozzarella Sticks, love them xD
Pings
@holyrin
@thedarkarcher
@dragistar12

Male
682 posts

decay • 12 June 2020 at 10:03 AM

@galaxyleopard
Sure!
Mozzarella sticks are really good!
Thanks for the pings and spreading the word, I appreciate it!

Gender Nonconforming
1,249 posts

frankenstein • 12 June 2020 at 10:07 AM

@decay

May I join?
This is a very important topic we can't shy away from and a very pivotal time to address it.
Food- Pizza

@lexicon
@pegasasu
@surgeon

Male
682 posts

decay • 12 June 2020 at 10:34 AM

@lokisonoflaufey

I agree! (: Thanks for the support means a lot!

Pizza is great! My mom works at a pizzeria xD

Male
30 posts

nostalgiic • 12 June 2020 at 10:40 AM

@decay
I really think it’s important to share this information, thank you for this 😊
And my favourite food is pasta lol
Pings: @duckhunter

Female
360 posts

frosting • 12 June 2020 at 10:53 AM

@decay
Hi! May I join please?
My favourite food is ice cream 😊
Pings:
@shadowfaxe
@nficewing
@mirror

64 posts

birdsong • 12 June 2020 at 10:54 AM

@decay
mind if I join?
Fav-food: rice (actually what I always eat XD)
Pings:
@darkmoare
@duckhunter
@skymoare

Female
1,729 posts

lexicon • 12 June 2020 at 11:23 AM

@decay Thank you for making this and shedding some light on this delicate, but very important, subject matter. More people should be educated about what's actually been going on. My favorite food is sushi! 😊

@lokisonoflaufey thanks for the ping❤️

Some more:
@pouncessoftly
@kdxu
@jlya

Female
1,493 posts

froot • 12 June 2020 at 11:36 AM

@decay I fully agree. I'm asian (if you guys didn't know already) and I live in an asian society but whenever I go anywhere else around the world... -_- I don't even want to get into it. But I suppose that's the way things go nowadays :C Same goes for other minorities as well, like seriously calm down people, race is something we can't change about ourselves, but your attitude towards us can.
My favourite food... I have lots of favourite foods, forcing me to choose one is just evil >:0 I guess I'll choose mangoes or durians teehee~

@playermocha345
@totallynotjoey
@wigglytuff

Female
471 posts

sandara • 12 June 2020 at 12:31 PM

@decay
Can I also join?
My family is asian too, and I often hear "open your eye", "to pass the entrance exam you have to kill an Asian" and some other things from complete strangers. Plus, both my sister-in-law's parents are from Kenya, so she has a really dark tone skin and my brother is asian, and they have a beautiful son that s just a cutie pie, so I often see people comenting about them, I heard "your kid is black asian?" and "how did you two started a relantionship?" (like normal human being?). But I would not change a single thing about them, they are perfect together.

My favorite food? I really wanted to say cheese, but for the past 9 years I have been lactose intolerant, and from the past 6 years I did not eat any food with lactose T-T
So I will say "vaca atolada" (mired cow in english😋), it is really good😃

Pings (sorry):
@emo_pattys
@zantago
@cookie50

1,478 posts

arcana • 12 June 2020 at 12:41 PM

@decay
Thank you for making a post about this. It is truly important for us to spread this information. I'd love to enter. As for my favorite food, I suppose cheese might fit the bill? It's integral to a lot of other foods I enjoy, and it's something I enjoy by itself as well.

Pings(Apologies):
@iia
@cheetah
@blizzards

Female
114 posts

blizzards • 12 June 2020 at 12:42 PM

@decay
Can I join? I luv Volpes
my favorite food are garlic bread twists and caffeine concerning things ^^
Pings:@stevepat2002
@yogurt
@zantago

Female
2,200 posts

thedarkarcher • 12 June 2020 at 12:54 PM

@decay thanks so much for hosting this. All lives matter whatever colour your skin is or where you was born.

My favourite food/meal is potato bake 😊

Pings
@rashka
@epic23
@wild_wonders

Female
2,485 posts

yogurt • 12 June 2020 at 1:10 PM

@decay Thanks for this. 😊

Fav food = noodles with soup. I like it spicy!

Male
682 posts

decay • 12 June 2020 at 2:30 PM

@shadowfaxe
@sandara
Thanks for sharing your experiences on this post I honestly found it super informative. If any of you guys want to talk more about your experiences with discrimination I would love to add it to this post as well (:

@sandara
Woah I can't believe people would ask stuff like that's insane...
I think the worst for me is hearing all the "go back to your country" comments and the assumption that all Latinos are undocumented...

@nostalgiic
@arcana
@lexicon
@thedarkarcher

Thank you guys for the support (: I really appreciate this as I was intimidated to post this at first!

@frosting
@birdsong
@blizzards
@yogurt

Thanks for joining guys and spreading the word! (:

Added everyone!
Also, all your favorite foods are making me super hungry xD
I need some spicy soup now..... @yogurt

Female
493 posts

pouncessoftly • 12 June 2020 at 2:51 PM

@decay
May I please join? Thank you for the chance, and for the informative post. The brutality that has been going on has been absolutely horrible, and I'm very hopeful that actual change is happening in America. Changes need to be made, from police training and enforcement to attempting to enlighten ignorant people.

Favorite food = any kind of chocolate ❤️ 😃

@lexicon
Thank you for the ping!

Pings (sorry for double or unwanted pings)
@stevepat2002
@zantago
@keahizu

Female
4,149 posts

emo_pattys • 12 June 2020 at 3:46 PM

@decay Hello! I'd like to join too! 😊

It's really nice to see that this important discussion is here on Eggcave too! It's past the time to put these issues on the agenda and demand the changes that need to be made.

About the favorite food, I'd say any kind of cheese. And hamburguers! lol

Pings:
@senpai
@brunosc
@stefrawr

Female
60 posts

rael_barclay • 12 June 2020 at 3:51 PM

@decay
Could I enter, please?

This is a very important topic. Thank you for talking about it. I hope there will be real equality in the U.S. in our lifetimes.

Favorite food - Grilled cheese!

@lisa1321
@darkladyinside
@tetromino

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 12 June 2020 at 3:56 PM

@decay I’d love to enter!

I’m actually going to a protest for BLM this weekend! :-) I think it’s awesome that so many people are supporting this movement.

Favorite food : steak

@chapus
@pipkitten
@yogurt

Female
409 posts

lisa1321 • 12 June 2020 at 4:02 PM

@decay
I really admire you doing this, I agree it is an important topic that should be talked about if change is ever going to occur.

I would love to join!! my favorite food is sushi 😋

@lexicon
@surgeon
@ravensong

Female
9,796 posts

chapus • 12 June 2020 at 4:07 PM

@decay Thanks for doing this! It's important to build awareness to this cause. As someone with a hispanic last name (Gonzalez), I can understand the fear and worry that comes with how people might perceive me.

My fave food is sushi!

@surgeon
@aloe
@wildirishrubyrose

162 posts

surgeon • 12 June 2020 at 4:38 PM

@decay

I'd love to enter and think this issue definitely needs more attention #BLM.

Favorite food is cheesecake 😸

Pings
@nut
@pwuffy
@lexicon

Female
175 posts

zantago • 12 June 2020 at 5:57 PM

@decay
Thanks for doing this and bringing attention to such an important issue! My experiences with racism are definitely on the lighter end of the scale, but I've had strangers and (ex)friends make racially charged 'jokes' and comments like when the bus driver hit a dog a friend turned to me and asked "are you gonna eat it?", and when I was in a car with some friends and there was a slow driver ahead of us and suddenly everyone started jeering at the car ahead, assuming the driver was asian and saying things like "go back to your country!"/"they're probably driving so slow bc they cant see"/stretching their eyes to make fun of asian eyes etc while I was also in the car with them :") so I can only imagine the racism and discrimination BIPOC have to face on a daily basis, and it's really touching seeing everyone gather together in unity to fight against the unjust systems currently in place. I'm not in the US but myself and other kiwis definitely stand in solidarity with the BLM movement and have held protests in my city as well 😊 Hopefully all these protests and movements will finally bring about the change the BIPOC community desperately needs and the police are defunded and reformed so that minorities are able to live without fear of discrimination, being racially profiled, unjust persecution and police brutality etc.

But a fair warning to be safe, wear masks and try to be as sanitary as possible if anyone decides to go out and protest! Covid-19 is still a prevalent and devastating issue throughout the world and while the blm movement definitely takes precedent its important to still be mindful of your own health and the health of others ^^

Also my favourite food is probably pepperoni pizza? very generic I know aha

Pings:
@qtpie7
@megamisama90
@whitefall

Male
178 posts

duckhunter • 12 June 2020 at 5:57 PM

@decay

I'd like to enter please. This is a big topic and it needs to be discussed amongst people. Good idea.

My fave food is either sushi or chicken wings.
Pings:
@peyton
@dreamii
@austiniswild

316 posts

ravensong • 12 June 2020 at 7:18 PM

@decay
I just started to read a book and it discusses racism in it. It bothers me so much that it is a daily occurrence in life for so many races. As much as the American society is "accepting" of diversity, it's so important to remind ourselves that there are people that are still prejudice against races.
Favorite food: All vegetables
Pings:
@marner
@chaotictreat
@viperidae

Deleted • 12 June 2020 at 7:36 PM

@decay i love sushi and pizza. I really love that this is being discussed because well, I am black and i feel like more ppl need to be informed of this. As this violence is not OK and shouldn't be tolerated. Thanks @duckhunter for showing me this.

(Sorry)
@sodabearjess
@lexicon
@ravensong

Female
1,575 posts

sorrow • 12 June 2020 at 8:02 PM

@decay
I have also been hesitant to bring this up, but it is definitely important and needs to be talked about everywhere. As a white woman, I didn't think there was much I could do at first other than feel like crap. Especially because I live in a city with one of the most funded police forces, and we are on a state line with a state who has a lot of white supremacy groups. It was scary, we had peaceful protests during the day and then the groups came over at night and ruined the whole message. I go to school with a very diverse student body, so once George Floyd's death had surfaced it became a huge part of our online classes. Educating and having those hard conversations is so important, and I've learned so much from my classmates, the people I follow in Instagram, and just the everyday people at the marches fighting for basic human rights. it's heartbreaking and enlightening and important. thanks for bringing this here.
also my favorite food is shrimp, which feels so stupid to say after typing that paragraph lmao.

@pegasasu
@mykie
@nut

Female
812 posts

totallynotjoey • 12 June 2020 at 8:25 PM

@decay Thank you for bringing this to light. Many people have chosen to be ignorant to global issues like this and it is great that you are spreading awareness and informing people of the situation.

My favourite food is probably pipis, so delicious the way my dad cooks them.

@skymoare
@aloe
@wildirishrubyrose

101 posts

subie • 12 June 2020 at 10:30 PM

@decay
thank you for bringing awareness to this issue. ❤️ i am not a citizen of the united states, but it breaks my heart to see the turmoil and broken state of the country right now. all of this going on - while a global pandemic is happening. it breaks my heart seeing some be so ignorant and careless of the current situation.

my favourite food is pasta or sushi.

@lisa1321
@megamisama90
@ravensong